PDA

View Full Version : Druckenmiller Pledges to Keep Steelers in the Burg'

Ozey74
07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08192/896210-100.stm

This is a relief. I hope he means it. I have thought about what life would be like if the Steelers moved out of the Burgh' & it would leave a big void!!!!

Shawn
07-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I can't imagine...I don't enjoy any sport like I enjoy pro football.

Ozey74
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I can't imagine...I don't enjoy any sport like I enjoy pro football.

Me too. I would enjoy the NFL much less if you took the Steelers out of Pittsburgh. I know that I would never find a passion to replace the void. Steeler ball is one of the few things that has always been a part of my life since birth. Having left the city in 84', I was forced to watch whatever games they televised in my area until the invention of Direct TV. For the past 10 years or so, I've looked forward to the 16 Sundays of the year that I get to meet up with people like myself and root on the Black & Gold. Not having that to look forward to would devastate me. I'm sure many of you agree with me.

At first I was cold to the idea of this outsider comming in and taking over. But, he appears to be like us....a die-hard Steeler fan. The only difference is that there is only 90 people on the planet that has more $$ than him. After reading the last paragraph of this article, maybe this would be best for the Steelers? I don't know. It's all very confusing?

steelcityrules!!
07-10-2008, 08:47 PM
after reading up on this guy, if he manages to garner a significant part of the steelers as an owner, i have no worries whatsoever. he wants the rooneys to be involved, he's a brilliant, humble, proven winner... and is a top-5 steeler fan.

dude plays golf with tiger and is respected by EVERYONE he's come across, and his circle of influence has some pretty rediculous members.

:Beer

costanza2k1
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Having the Rooney's run the team and him providing the scratch may not be a bad idea. I don't know how but I am thoroughly convinced that the NFL Gods will NOT allow the Steelers to be run without Rooneys or ever allow anyone to move them from Pittsburgh. It just won't/can't happen.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Ozey74
07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Having the Rooney's run the team and him providing the scratch may not be a bad idea. I don't know how but I am thoroughly convinced that the NFL Gods will NOT allow the Steelers to be run without Rooneys or ever allow anyone to move them from Pittsburgh. It just won't/can't happen.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Taking the Rooney out of the Steelers is like taking the cold out of ice cream. There just has to be a Rooney owning some part of the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Apparently, all Dan needs to do is to convince one of his four brothers to sell to him in order to keep a controlling stake in the team's daily operations, since the NFL only requires that the controlling partner holds at least 30% of the shares. Even if the other three brothers sold to Druckenmiller (giving him 48%), Dan could still be chairman with 32% (assuming that the McGinley's don't sell any of their 20%, which shouldn't be an issue, since I haven't heard anything about that family running racetracks or slot parlors). If Dan has enough cash on hand to buy out one brother for roughly $160 million without going over the league mandated ceiling for allowable debt of $150 million, the Rooneys will remain in control of the team itself, with this multibillionaire Steeler fan contributing roughly half a billion to get financial control, but not day-to-day operating control. Seems like that could be a best case scenario if that's the way things go down. Hopefully Dan didn't burn any major family bridges when he fired his brother Art 20 years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3482116

Art Rooney Jr. could decide future of Steelers' ownership
Associated Press

Updated: July 10, 2008, 7:48 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney faces an uphill climb in trying to acquire majority control of one of pro sports' best-known franchises now that his four brothers have hired an investment firm to field offers for their shares of the club.

Former Steelers owner Art Rooney is an icon in Pittsburgh. But family control of the franchise may be in question as Rooney's heirs decide what to do with their shares of the NFL franchise.

In a curious twist, Art Rooney Jr., a Pro Football Hall of Fame nominee for his drafting skills who was fired by Dan Rooney 21 years ago, may decide if the team stays in the Rooney family's control.

Dan Rooney, widely viewed as the NFL's most influential owner, has spent two years in an unsuccessful attempt to buy out his four younger brothers' stakes in the five-time Super Bowl championship franchise. Each brother owns 16 percent, or a total of 80 percent.

The other 20 percent is owned by the family of the late Barney McGinley, who helped Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. reacquire the Steelers in the 1940s after Rooney sold the team for a brief time. The McGinleys' share is not believed to be for sale.

To prevent an outside investor -- possibly investment billionaire Stanley Druckenmiller, a longtime Steelers fan -- from obtaining a majority stake, Dan Rooney needs to persuade at least one brother to sell to him.

That would give him 32 percent of the team, enough to satisfy the NFL's requirement that the primary owner have at least a 30 percent share. If the McGinleys don't sell, no other investor could own more than 48 percent.

Druckenmiller, the chairman of Duquesne Capital Management, acknowledged Thursday for the first time he is involved in trying to buy into the team.

In a statement, Druckenmiller said the Rooneys are "working through a number of complicated issues regarding the ownership structure. .. I have been involved in these discussions and am interested in participating in a transaction that builds on the legacy of this great franchise and one that makes economic sense to everyone involved."

Art Jr., who helps run the Rooneys' real estate holdings, is the only other Rooney brother who lives in Pittsburgh. He said his three out-of-town brothers are loyal Steelers supporters who dislike being part of any possible disruption of the Rooney family's ownership.

"We bleed black and gold," Art Rooney Jr. said at a signing for his new book about Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. and the family. "What bothers me is I hear people say the out-of-towners [the Rooneys who don't live in Pittsburgh] don't love the Steelers. They love the Steelers."

Still, Art Jr. finds it ironic he may decide if the Rooney family keeps the Steelers, giving his falling out with Dan.

Art Jr., the only other Rooney brother who worked full time for the team, was so skilled as a scouting director that his drafts in the late 1960s and early 1970s were largely responsible for the Steelers winning four Super Bowls in six years.

His 1974 draft alone produced Hall of Famers Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster and led to Art Jr. being nominated for the Hall of Fame.

After the Steelers drafted only two Pro Bowl players from 1978-86, Dan fired his bother in 1987 as the scouting and player personnel chief, and Art Jr. has not been involved in the Steelers' football operations since.

"How about that? I've become a big shot after being exiled 20 years ago," Art Jr. told KDKA-TV.

However, Art Jr. called the current ownership crisis "sad," although he said his father would understand the brothers' desires to be properly compensated for their shares.

A revamping of the ownership group is needed because the Rooney family runs race tracks in Florida and New York that now offer video slots and other forms of gambling not permitted of NFL owners.

A troubling sign for Dan Rooney is that his brothers -- Art Jr., Tim, Pat and John, all of whom will be at least 70 by next year -- retained Goldman, Sachs & Co. to weigh offers. Their shares are likely worth more than Dan Rooney and son Art II, the team president, could raise and still remain under the NFL's ceiling of $150 million in ownership debt.

With the future of the ownership of one of the NFL's signature franchises up in the air, ESPN.com's John Clayton answered five primary questions about the potential reorganization of the Pittsburgh Steelers' hierarchy. Steelers Q&A

The brothers likely would not have retained Goldman, Sachs if they felt they could soon work out a deal with Dan Rooney. The move also reflects their fears that selling to Dan Rooney, coupled with the ensuing taxes, could leave their children and grandchildren with far less money than their shares are worth.

If any of the brothers were to die in the near future without a change in ownership, their heirs would face estate taxes of up to 45 percent of the shares' value.

A year ago, Forbes Magazine valued the Steelers at slightly less than $1 billion -- quite a return on Art Rooney Sr.'s initial investment of $2,500. Each Rooney brother's stake is worth about $160 million, or less than Dan Rooney is believed to be offering.

Dan Rooney has been working with Morgan Stanley and PNC Financial Services to attempt to bring in additional investors who might prop up his buyout attempt. Rooney hopes that former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who is representing the league in the matter, may help work out a deal.

The NFL supports Dan Rooney's attempts to keep the team in the Rooney family, not surprising given how Art Sr. and Dan Rooney have been among the most influential figures in league history. Both are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"The league will continue to support the Rooneys in their efforts to retain control of the Steelers," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday.

Dan Rooney does not necessarily need to own 50 percent or more of the club to continue to operate it. Among his closest friends are the Mara family, which runs the Super Bowl champion New York Giants although it shares a 50-50 ownership split with Steve Tisch, the son of former co-owner Robert Tisch.

Druckenmiller, an avid golfer whose $500,000 gift helped Oakmont Country Club in suburban Pittsburgh land the 2007 U.S. Open, has long coveted the Steelers and first tried to buy into them 10 years ago. He is believed to want only financial control, not day-to-day control of the club's operations.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Jigawatts
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Hopefully Dan didn't burn any major family bridges when he fired his brother Art 20 years ago.

After watching one or two interviews with Jr., my jigasense tells me Art is enjoying this. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Hopefully Dan didn't burn any major family bridges when he fired his brother Art 20 years ago.

After watching one or two interviews with Jr., my jigasense tells me Art is enjoying this. :roll:

Yeah, that "How about that? I've become a big shot after being exiled 20 years ago" quote seemed like a big fat middle finger being waved at his older brother.

Mr Smartmonies
07-10-2008, 11:24 PM
when the new stadium was built, wasn't there some sort of agreement signed that
the steelers and pirates couldn't leave town for like 25 years? I thought there was some sort of agreement, perhaps not.

I can't see the NFL ever approving of a Steelers move. Cleveland moved cause Modell and the city couldn't get a stadium deal. Even if a new owner wanted to move the steelers, I just can't see the NFL approving it.

BIG FAN
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
While change is inevitable, the outlook is not as grim as it may have appeared at the beginning of the week. I agree with the general consensus that the NFL would not ever approve a move. It was a big lesson learned when they let the stains go, the outrage was so overwhelming look how fast they got a team back. (Must admit it was just not the same without stomping the crap out of them twice a year for a few seasons.) Nevertheless, if this all comes into play, and as of now it's a big if, it appears this guy is saying all the right things, has good credentials, and is being touted as a huge fan and clearly wants the Rooney's involved, so it doesn't look like the sky is falling yet.

papillon
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM

This is a relief. I hope he means it. I have thought about what life would be like if the Steelers moved out of the Burgh' & it would leave a big void!!!!

Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh, if they moved to another city I wouldn't be able to be a fan. I could never cheer for a team called the Los Angeles Steelers (it's painful to even type it.). I can't fathom how a person that has never lived in Pittsburgh becomes a Steeler fan. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have them all on board as fans, but, I just can't understand the phenomena.

I'm a Pirates, Pens and Steelers fan, because, that's where I grew up and it was part of life. Me and my friends used to take the bus to Three Rivers or the Arena to take in games and then hang out in the city afterwards. It was part of life for me. If they move, I will just find something else to do Sunday afternoon and Monday evenings.

Pappy

Shawn
07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
The Saratoga Steelers has a certain ring to it. :lol:

Ok...please don't kill me. :mrgreen:

BIG FAN
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM

Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh, if they moved to another city I wouldn't be able to be a fan. I could never cheer for a team called the Los Angeles Steelers (it's painful to even type it.). I can't fathom how a person that has never lived in Pittsburgh becomes a Steeler fan. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have them all on board as fans, but, I just can't understand the phenomena.

I'm a Pirates, Pens and Steelers fan, because, that's where I grew up and it was part of life. Me and my friends used to take the bus to Three Rivers or the Arena to take in games and then hang out in the city afterwards. It was part of life for me. If they move, I will just find something else to do Sunday afternoon and Monday evenings.

Pappy

Thats how it is for me as well, my Steelers always remind me of my roots. It doesn't matter how far I stray from home, I know every Sunday come fall, I have a piece of home playing right in front of me. Our acceptance by other folks has never surprised me much, maybe a little at times, but I can understand how any fan of the game can come to be a Steelers fan, they probably like to see a hard nosed physical team that is not intimidated lightly, that does not give up and appears to really enjoy knocking the crap out of opponents. A history of winning about the last four decades probably helps also.
Fortunately I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't like that all the time, and I think it makes it all the sweeter every one of those Superbowls, playoff wins, any win.
We do get more than our fair share of bandwaggoners, but it seems they tend to stay with us more often or not, it's about the only way I think I can explain such a huge fan base that spans continents continues to grow.

sd steel
07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Well it looks like the Chargers may be moving soon. I would have no problem with the San Diego Steelers!!!

By the way pappy, I'm originally from Pittsburgh. :Cheers

And just think of the great road trips you guys could have coming to watch your favorite team in beautiful San Diego!

Truthfully, if they ever moved the Steelers out of Pittsburgh i would quit watching the NFL, unless of course if the really moved to San Diego. :shock: :lol:

stlrz d
07-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Pappy

That can happen for a lot of reasons. One of my customers in Oklahoma City is a Steelers fan. Most people there are Dallas Cowboys fans and as a kid he picked the Steelers to go against the grain, and stuck with them. A guy I know here in Green Bay has an uncle who is a huge Steelers fan and it rubbed off on him when he was very young. His mother, father and other siblings are Packers fans, but not him. For me, I saw the logo at the age of 5 and liked it. Right then and there I declared them to be my team. 36 years later I'm still with 'em and have no plans to abandon them anytime soon.

I'm sure there are plenty of bandwagon fans too, but any successful franchise has their share of those. Why do you think there are so many Packers fans all over the country? They were so successful under Lombardi that they gained a national following.

But of course there are plenty of stories just like mine, my customer's or my acquaintance's. :tt1 :tt2 :Steel

rpmpit
07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I was thinking about this guy I used to work with who was a HUGE Houston Oiler fan. We used to go at it about those great AFC Central battles (that we usually won :tt2 ). Then one day his team becomes the Tenn Oilers (is there actually any oil in Tenn??) and ultimately the Titans. Wow, he was (and probably still is) really depressed about the whole thing. I haven't spoken to him in years but a mutual friend told me he is now a Texans fan.

Which brings up the question - if GOD FORBID the Steelers ever did leave, would you continue to follow and support them? And if a new team were to come to Pittsburgh, would you support them over the Steelers??

And what about Cleveland. As much as we hate them, you have to kinda, sorta feel bad. They are rooting for a team that is basically a fraud. The "real" Browns play in Baltimore :lol:

Ozey74
07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Which brings up the question - if GOD FORBID the Steelers ever did leave, would you continue to follow and support them? And if a new team were to come to Pittsburgh, would you support them over the Steelers??

That's a good question. I don't know the answer.

If I would say YES, it would be because the new team would retain the colors & logo (like the new Browns did), play in Heinz field, and be in the Burg'. Seeing everything like it was would get my football juices flowing. But deep down inside, I would know that it's not the real Steelers.

If the Steelers were to leave and go to LA, change their name, uni's and ownership, I would still continue to root for our players since I have grown attached to them. Maybe I would grow into a fan of the team and become one for life???

But if the Rooneys were sell to some deadbeat owner who didn't know how to run a team & left the Burgh', over time I wouldn't be surprised if I would lose my passion for the team.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Pappy

I don't think you have to live in Pittsburgh to be a fan. I live in PA...I follow the Steelers & Pens...I follow PSU & the Panthers. I would stand "Nose to Nose" with any Steeler fan who thinks he is a bigger fan than me even if he could see Heinz field from his window. I think it is all about your love for the team...Not where you live! God & my path in life landed me in NE PA...But I would love to live in Pittsburgh! Any houses for sale by you Pap! :wink: :wink: :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-11-2008, 08:46 AM

That's a good question. I don't know the answer.

If I would say YES, it would be because the new team would retain the colors & logo (like the new Browns did), play in Heinz field, and be in the Burg'. Seeing everything like it was would get my football juices flowing. But deep down inside, I would know that it's not the real Steelers.

If the Steelers were to leave and go to LA, change their name, uni's and ownership, I would still continue to root for our players since I have grown attached to them. Maybe I would grow into a fan of the team and become one for life???

But if the Rooneys were sell to some deadbeat owner who didn't know how to run a team & left the Burgh', over time I wouldn't be surprised if I would lose my passion for the team.

If the team did move I would still follow them. I would have too route for the players & coaches I have come to love. That being said, I would have to then put that team in the back of the bus if & when the city of Pittsburgh was awarded another franchise.

OK...That hurt! It won't happen! I feel dirty now!

Oviedo
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Pappy

I don't think you have to live in Pittsburgh to be a fan. I live in PA...I follow the Steelers & Pens...I follow PSU & the Panthers. I would stand "Nose to Nose" with any Steeler fan who thinks he is a bigger fan than me even if he could see Heinz field from his window. I think it is all about your love for the team...Not where you live! God & my path in life landed me in NE PA...But I would love to live in Pittsburgh! Any houses for sale by you Pap! :wink: :wink: :wink:

:Agree You can take the person out of Pittsburgh, but not Pittsburgh out of the person. Career decisions have me in Orlando, but we just came back from our annual 2 week pilgrmage to the Burgh and everytime we go back we seriously talk about moving back. It will probably never happen because of the lack of jobs and our kids attachment to Central Florida but the draw is always there.

Just like you, no matter where I have been (even Germany) you hunger for news about and watching the Steelers, Pens, Pirate, PSU and Pitt. Thank God for Direct TV :D :D :D

Ozey74
07-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Thank God for Direct TV :D :D :D

Amen!! The invention of the NFL Sunday ticket ranks up there with the wheel & ice cream scoopers.

Oviedo
07-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Thank God for Direct TV :D :D :D

Amen!! The invention of the NFL Sunday ticket ranks up there with the wheel & ice cream scoopers.

Don't forget the greatest invention in human history for all men..the TV remote control :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Pappy

:Agree You can take the person out of Pittsburgh, but not Pittsburgh out of the person. Career decisions have me in Orlando, but we just came back from our annual 2 week pilgrmage to the Burgh and everytime we go back we seriously talk about moving back. It will probably never happen because of the lack of jobs and our kids attachment to Central Florida but the draw is always there.

Just like you, no matter where I have been (even Germany) you hunger for news about and watching the Steelers, Pens, Pirate, PSU and Pitt. Thank God for Direct TV :D :D :D

I hear ya there! I lucked out when it comes to the Steelers. My regional AFC games are the Steelers. I get to see every game on TV except the 2 NFC home games. I keep my fingers crossed that those games are a night game & nationally televised. If not, one of my friends is a Cowboys fan and he has DTV NFL Sunday Ticket so he could see his games. I just watch it at his house or go to a sports bar. This year, I'm going to the Steelers/Cowboys game so I have that one covered! The Steelers/Giants game is the other game and that is a Fox double-header weekend. So the Eagles will be on @ 1:00 and the Steelers @ 4:15! I feel for you guys who can't see all the games. I have to see every game...I drop everything! Last year I missed the Rams game because I was laid up in the hospital for a month from complications from an appendectomy! The hospital didn't have the NFL network! It sucked!!! I wasn't allowed cell phones or a laptop because of the location in the hospital. Here is my sickness...I had my fiance put the game on at the house (DTV) and put the phone next to it so I could here it! Yeah...Call me sick!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Pappy

I'm in NEPA too, and while the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Ravens, and Redskins all have stadiums that are physically closer to me than Heinz Field (and New England and Buffalo are probably close to the same distance as Pittsburgh), I still make the trek across the state to the 'Burgh for every home game, baby!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Pappy

I'm in NEPA too, and while the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Ravens, and Redskins all have stadiums that are physically closer to me than Heinz Field (and New England and Buffalo are probably close to the same distance as Pittsburgh), I still make the trek across the state to the 'Burgh for every home game, baby!!!

RUB IT IN... :cry: :cry: :cry: If I remember correctly...You are a season ticket holder in Clarks Summit? At least "Honk" next time you pass going West!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2008, 12:05 PM
[quote=Ozey74]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08192/896210-100.stm

Pappy

RUB IT IN... :cry: :cry: :cry: If I remember correctly...You are a season ticket holder in Clarks Summit? At least "Honk" next time you pass going West!!![/quote:27jup1i6]

Yup, that's me. Maybe I'll see ya at the Cowboys game.

Jigawatts
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
The Saratoga Steelers has a certain ring to it. :lol:

Ok...please don't kill me. :mrgreen:

I propose a move to Youngstown. Positives include:

1) An established fan base.

2) Only about an hour 1/2 drive for most Pittsburghers.

3) Only about an hour 1/2 drive for most Clevelanders. :brownssuck

4) Plenty of EPA approved "non toxic" areas for Heinz Field relocation.

5) 106th best television market in the country.

6) Local University has their own stadium. Heinz Field turf would flourish.

7) Free security provided by the South Side Souljas.

Jigawatts
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention another advantage: Tailgate parties for every game at
SN1's house, with free shuttle service to Heinz Field.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2738/tomscrazybusbajajpegjm1.jpg