PDA

View Full Version : top ten most hated steelers of all time

frankthetank1
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
i thought it would be interesting to see everyones most hated steeler list. i dont think i've ever seen it posted. my list is

1. chad scott- was drafted high, got a big contract after one decent year then was an absolute embarrasment

2. plaxico burres- no need to explain

3. neil o'donnell- i will always hate him for the sb loss. it wasnt entirely his fault but it was mostly his fault

4. duce staley- played one year then got paid for doing nothing.

5. mike tomzack- always hated him for some reason even when he was on the bears.

6. charles johnson- had a lot of talent, drafted high and i thought he was going to be so good but he was just another bust

7. huey richardson- huge bust, how many games did he even play in as a steeler?

8. korkie- not only was he a sub par qb and the steelers invested way too many years and money in him but i always thought he was a tool. i even hated him in college

9. bam morris- i loved bam at first and thought he was going to be the next great rb. he turned out to be the dumbest and lazyiest guy ever, but if the steelers had won the sb in 95 he might of been the mvp

10. sean mahan- he is a piece of garbage and should be playing in arena football.

Shawn
07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

If I ever met him I would karate chop his knee caps. :lol:

ghettoscott
07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
3. neil o'donnell- i will always hate him for the sb loss. it wasnt entirely his fault but it was mostly his fault

Shawn
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Ohh...lol. Welllll he should be #1 :D

NorCal-Steeler
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
how about Tim Mkyer?

frankthetank1
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

:lol: he is number 3 on my list. i would be suprised if he wasnt on everyone's list

ghettoscott
07-08-2008, 10:59 AM
i totally agree with you SMG, he-who-shall-not-be-named is my most hated...watching him throw those INT's still make me nauseous.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

:lol: he is number 3 on my list. i would be suprised if he wasnt on everyone's list
he's not anywhere near my top 10 list.

he might be if that last turnover was actually his fault.

In fact, I'm more upset with the fans for his leaving... I suspect he would have taken less to stay if the city didn't blame him for something that wasn't this fault.

Shawn
07-08-2008, 12:06 PM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

In fact, I'm more upset with the fans for his leaving... I suspect he would have taken less to stay if the city didn't blame him for something that wasn't this fault.

Wha???

Are you kidding?

That BS...about the WR not being where he was supposed to be was bunk. He threw two picks with a Steeler WR nowhere in the vicinity. The dude got paid...make no doubts about that the guy threw the SB.

Ozey74
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
One thing I will always remember about that Super Bowl is how scared O'Donnell looked.

Shawn
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
One thing I will always remember about that Super Bowl is how scared O'Donnell looked.

He should have been more scared of the Steeler fans after those 2 picks.

RussBII
07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
1. Without a doubt. Chad Scott. That guy killed me. When he gave us a first down against the Pats when he was their CB, i thought it was poetic freaking justice... It only had to happen about 500 more times to pay us back.

2. through 5. That god awful string of offensive coordinators we had. Joe Walton, Mike Mularkey, etc. They might not have all been consecutive, and I can't remember most of them, but they sucked.... Although, my favorite all time sign was seen during that time period: "Hey J_E, where's the O?"

6. Kris Brown. The fool couldn't make a kick in the open end of Heinz Field as a Steeler, but he comes back as a Texan and does it?

7. Post slash Kordell. I was a believer for a long time... but how many throws into triple coverage can a man take?

8. Plax... just the fact that he had all the talent in the world and didn't even really try for the black and gold.

9. That WR out of Georgia who was a 2nd round pick, and didnt even make it out of camp? What was that cats name? Fred Gibson or something? What a waste of a pick...

10. This is a love/hate: Dwight Stone... Was there ever a faster guy w/ worse hands?

I know i kinda cheated w/ the 2 through 5 bit, but that's my list.

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
9. That WR out of Georgia who was a 2nd round pick, and didnt even make it out of camp? What was that cats name? Fred Gibson or something? What a waste of a pick...

WR Fred Gibson was a 4th round pick. His Georgia WR teammate, Reggie Brown, was a 2nd round pick of the Eagles that same year. There have definitely been worse draft picks out there than Gibson, though. Richardson? Stevens? Edwards? Colclough? By the way, we also had another 4th round WR before that who never made it out of camp just like Gibson...UCLA's Danny Farmer.

RussBII
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM

WR Fred Gibson was a 4th round pick. His Georgia WR teammate, Reggie Brown, was a 2nd round pick of the Eagles that same year. There have definitely been worse draft picks out there than Gibson, though. Richardson? Stevens? Edwards? Colclough?

Ahhh my bad. I dunno why I hate him so much then... oh well...

Perhaps I was really hoping for another Hines Ward <shrug>. And at least all those other guys made it out of camp (or did they not?)

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM

WR Fred Gibson was a 4th round pick. His Georgia WR teammate, Reggie Brown, was a 2nd round pick of the Eagles that same year. There have definitely been worse draft picks out there than Gibson, though. Richardson? Stevens? Edwards? Colclough?

Ahhh my bad. I dunno why I hate him so much then... oh well...

Perhaps I was really hoping for another Hines Ward <shrug>. And at least all those other guys made it out of camp (or did they not?)

Richardson made it out of camp, but in less than a year after he was drafted, they traded this 1st round pick (15th overall) for a 7th round pick. He never recorded even a single tackle in the NFL. Ouch.

stlrz d
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I'm with you on this one. NoD wouldn't make a top ten most hated Steelers list for me.

ghettoscott
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I'm with you on this one. NoD wouldn't make a top ten most hated Steelers list for me.

what about a 'Top 15'...'Top 20'? Would you wear a NOD jersey?

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Would you wear a NOD jersey?

Sure...provided that you remove the "O'Donnell" nameplate and replace it with "Sweed" :D

SteelerOfDeVille
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
No Neil O'Donnell???

He is #1-10 on my list.

what about a 'Top 15'...'Top 20'? Would you wear a NOD jersey?
Honestly, after that SB, I was more upset at the fan base. And I wouldn't wear a NOD jersey because of all the hatred for him... but, I don't have a problem with the guy. If it wasn't for all the SMGs that I know I'd run into, I'd wear one.

Seriously, if he got paid the throw the game, he never woulda brought them back. He could have simply made it unattainable very early and everyone would have believed it... it was the mighty cowboys and the tripletts... the fact that they came back means SMGs story is a fable...

stlrz d
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't do offensive jerseys...just look at my username! :P

As for NoD, he doesn't make any hated list for me no matter how far you go. It will always be my opinion that the first pick was his fault and the second wasn't.

Not to mention Jim Gray tried to get him to admit after the game that the WR ran the wrong route and Neil had the class to say, "We win as a team and we lose as a team." What do you think Manning would have said? :mrgreen:

birtikidis
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
most hated

1) most hated player ever as a steeler: sean mahan
2) Cedric Wilson.
3) Bobby Shaw wha wha superman?
4) charred Scott. he aint no super hero!
5) Jemain Stephens. fat piece of crap.
6) Kent Graham. damn he was worthless!
7) Kevin Henry
8) Rossum
9) Troy Edwards
10) Bubby Brister

papillon
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I can't hate anyone that put on the black and gold, especially, since, I've only met a handful of Steelers and only for a brief moment. I can't hate a guy for not playing football good enough for the Steelers to win a Superbowl.

There are many Steelers that have been disappointing as players however:

Bam Morris - Good back, couldn't keep his head focused on football

Kordell Stewart - Not because he made mistakes as a quarterback, but, because, he was too stubborn to see that he could have been a good WR.

Alonzo Jackson - What happened here? So much promise

Huey Richardson - See above

Steve Courson - Could have been HOF caliber he was an animal

Eric Green - Started out great and then fizzled

I'm sure there are more, but, I'm too old to remember.

Pappy

Flasteel
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Here's my top 10 listed alphabetically:
Kris Brown - Blocked kick which was returned for a TD in 2001 AFCC game then bolted in free agency.
Troy Edwards - Sucked monkey balls and ran his pie-hole.
Alan Faneca - Disrespected the team, whined, and left. Tainted everything he accomplished here.
Delton Hall - Was a loud-mouth piece of crap.
Mark Malone - I think one year he threw more TD's to the opposition than his own team. Very arrogant and the most over-hyped (collegiately) player in our team's history.
Tim McKyer - Loud-mouth free agent bust who had a big hand in the 1994 AFCC game loss.
Bam Morris - Knuckle-head who embarrassed the team.
Neil O'Donnell - Played a huge role in the SB XXX loss, then bolted for the green.
Huey Richardson - Maybe the worst number one choice ever and made me apprehensive to ever choose another Gator with the top pick.
Jamain Stephens - Maybe the second-worst top pick.
Mike Tomczak - A douche-bag who I almost got in a brawl with.

Snatch98
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
i totally agree with you SMG, he-who-shall-not-be-named is my most hated...watching him throw those INT's still make me nauseous.

Isn't there still a big controversy about at least one of those INT's being the fault of the WR?

stlrz d
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM

Isn't there still a big controversy about at least one of those INT's being the fault of the WR?

Yes. Most people who understand football realize the WR didn't break off his route.

buckeyehoppy
07-09-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm with Pappy in saying that wearing the Black and Gold gives a player a mostly free pass for the rest of his career. But being eternally disappointed in some is a given. Here's my list:

Jamain Stevens, Choad Scott and Troy Edwards: Collectively, the first round picks in 1996, 1997 and 1999. A true banner to hike up the flagpole of those drafts. To add insult to injury the second players taken in those drafts were Steve Conley, Will Blackwell and Scott Shields. It's a wonder the Steelers remained in contention many years after those drafts. JPeezy being selected 3rd in '99 suggests evidence of a Divine Being.

Mark Malone and Bubby Brewster: These guys were the wet dreams of guys like Kurt Warner while he was playing in the Arena Pinball Football League. No wonder he made it...he beat out chucks like these f--ks.

Huey Richardson: the #15 overall player in the 1991 draft...but he's #2 at the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Any d*ck who wore the Crap Color and Orange before the Black and Gold, with the exception of Tomczak (for an insurance policy, the Steelers could have done worse). Quincy Morgan was the most recent goof from this category. And, perhaps, the Steelers take a flier on Bentley. But most teams will be apprehensive after a two year, injury forced sabbatical.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but that's the list for now.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm with Pappy in saying that wearing the Black and Gold gives a player a mostly free pass for the rest of his career. But being eternally disappointed in some is a given. Here's my list:

Jamain Stevens, Choad Scott and Troy Edwards: Collectively, the first round picks in 1996, 1997 and 1999. A true banner to hike up the flagpole of those drafts. To add insult to injury the second players taken in those drafts were Steve Conley, Will Blackwell and Scott Shields. It's a wonder the Steelers remained in contention many years after those drafts. JPeezy being selected 3rd in '99 suggests evidence of a Divine Being.

Mark Malone and Bubby Brewster: These guys were the wet dreams of guys like Kurt Warner while he was playing in the Arena Pinball Football League. No wonder he made it...he beat out chucks like these f--ks.

Huey Richardson: the #15 overall player in the 1991 draft...but he's #2 at the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Any d*ck who wore the Crap Color and Orange before the Black and Gold, with the exception of Tomczak (for an insurance policy, the Steelers could have done worse). Quincy Morgan was the most recent goof from this category. And, perhaps, the Steelers take a flier on Bentley. But most teams will be apprehensive after a two year, injury forced sabbatical.

Regarding Bentley, he never put on that jersey in an actual game. He signed a big contract, then was injured in his first practice with the team. It is like his body felt the bad karma of even having their practice jersey on, and it instinctively failed him so he would never have to don those colors ever again. When he became healthy enough to rejoin the team, he asked for his outright release. Smart fella. :brownssuck

frankthetank1
07-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Yes. Most people who understand football realize the WR didn't break off his route.

that was only one int though. the other one was all nod's fault. even though holiday didnt break off his route on the other int its hard for me to blame him a whole lot. the guy hardly played at all and he was a rookie, why was he in the game in the first place?

frankthetank1
07-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Kris Brown - Blocked kick which was returned for a TD in 2001 AFCC game then bolted in free agency.
Alan Faneca - Disrespected the team, whined, and left. Tainted everything he accomplished here.
Mark Malone - I think one year he threw more TD's to the opposition than his own team. Very arrogant and the most over-hyped (collegiately) player in our team's history.
Tim McKyer - Loud-mouth free agent bust who had a big hand in the 1994 AFCC game loss.
Neil O'Donnell - Played a huge role in the SB XXX loss, then bolted for the green.
Huey Richardson - Maybe the worst number one choice ever and made me apprehensive to ever choose another Gator with the top pick.

i forgot about troy edwards. i hated that guy so much. i'll never forget that stupid penalty he took against the pats in the 2001 afccg. that really hurt the steelers badly. how did you almost get into a fight with mike tomzak?

Flasteel
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM

i forgot about troy edwards. i hated that guy so much. i'll never forget that stupid penalty he took against the pats in the 2001 afccg. that really hurt the steelers badly. how did you almost get into a fight with mike tomzak?

I used to cover the NFL and particularly the Bucs for sports radio. It was the game where Kordell broke down on the sidelines in Tampa and afterwards I was interviewing Tomczak in the locker room and asking some tough questions about Ray Sherman's offense. Obviously he was sick of hearing about how it didn't suit the players we had and he started digging into me and the media in general like a real *******. Since I'm not the kind of guy to take abuse from anyone, I fired right back and it got pretty heated to the point where we had to be separated by a Steelers staff member. I never really liked the guy to begin with, but that sealed the deal.

On a side note, I think it deserves mention that I don't necessarily "hate" any of these players as others have alluded...it's more like disappointment or distaste. You've got to be a real slimeball to get any genuine hate from me and no one to ever wear the Black-n-Gold has done anything to merit that.

frankthetank1
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I used to cover the NFL and particularly the Bucs for sports radio. It was the game where Kordell broke down on the sidelines in Tampa and afterwards I was interviewing Tomczak in the locker room and asking some tough questions about Ray Sherman's offense. Obviously he was sick of hearing about how it didn't suit the players we had and he started digging into me and the media in general like a real *******. Since I'm not the kind of guy to take abuse from anyone, I fired right back and it got pretty heated to the point where we had to be separated by a Steelers staff member. I never really liked the guy to begin with, but that sealed the deal.

On a side note, I think it deserves mention that I don't necessarily "hate" any of these players as others have alluded...it's more like disappointment or distaste. You've got to be a real slimeball to get any genuine hate from me and no one to ever wear the Black-n-Gold has done anything to merit that.

thats a very interesting story. have you had similar altercations with any other players? im suprised tomzak reacted like that. i would think a player as bad as he was would love any attention he got from the media or fans. thats a good point, hate is a very strong word. i dont hate any of these players mentioned, just a strong dislike except for maybe burress. that guy has always been such a jerk

Flasteel
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
thats a very interesting story. have you had similar altercations with any other players? im suprised tomzak reacted like that. i would think a player as bad as he was would love any attention he got from the media or fans. thats a good point, hate is a very strong word. i dont hate any of these players mentioned, just a strong dislike except for maybe burress. that guy has always been such a jerk

The only other guy that came close was Warren Sapp. He never talked smack to me, but he constantly abused local reporters and was the most disrespectful player I've ever seen by a long shot. Once I saw how he treated everyone, I refused to ever ask him a question, so there was never an opportunity for such an altercation. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Sapp would have beat my ass, whereas I think I could take Tomczak. :lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
the guy hardly played at all and he was a rookie, why was he in the game in the first place?
Injuries, my man... I know Ernie Mills went down during the game... that year, that team made a living off 4 WR sets because they had so many above average ones... but, i believe they lost 2 and were stuck...

ON a "strategy of the game" note, I've often wondered how Cowher's call for an onside kick was viewed as such a "surprise" call.

You cut the score to 20-10 with 11-and-some-change in the game... you need two scores and you're partway into the 4th quarter. I was saying "onside kick it, onside kick it". Worst case, at that stage in the game, it was AT LEAST work consideration.

That Dallas was surprised should have been a knock on their special teams coach, and NOT anything special for ours.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
the guy hardly played at all and he was a rookie, why was he in the game in the first place?
Injuries, my man... I know Ernie Mills went down during the game... that year, that team made a living off 4 WR sets because they had so many above average ones... but, i believe they lost 2 and were stuck...

ON a "strategy of the game" note, I've often wondered how Cowher's call for an onside kick was viewed as such a "surprise" call.

You cut the score to 20-10 with 11-and-some-change in the game... you need two scores and you're partway into the 4th quarter. I was saying "onside kick it, onside kick it". Worst case, at that stage in the game, it was AT LEAST work consideration.

That Dallas was surprised should have been a knock on their special teams coach, and NOT anything special for ours.

Well, you are smart. Barry Switzer, on the other hand... :twisted:

SteelerOfDeVille
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM

The only other guy that came close was Warren Sapp. He never talked smack to me, but he constantly abused local reporters and was the most disrespectful player I've ever seen by a long shot. Once I saw how he treated everyone, I refused to ever ask him a question, so there was never an opportunity for such an altercation. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Sapp would have beat my ass, whereas I think I could take Tomczak. :lol:
I was on the field Sapp once (when the Bucs played the Bengals) and the thing that struck me about Sapp is his build... he's just a BIG dude... he wasn't muscular like the other football players... and he looks taller on TV - LOL.

I was also surprised at how stocky Warrick Dunn's legs are to be a "little" guy.

proudpittsburgher
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm glad there are some reasonable people in here. I agree that it is crazy how the hatred for NOD has grown considering what he did in his short time in Pittsburgh. It's disappointing

ghettoscott
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM
[youtube:7ki00drw]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfcsZAZYfeE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfcsZAZYfeE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:7ki00drw]

:roll:

anger 82&amp;95
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
What!!?? No hatred for Aaron Jones?

frankthetank1
07-11-2008, 05:22 PM

i forgot that mills was hurt in that game. i do remember nod leaving a lot of wr's out to dry in that game and there were some big time hits as a result. oh yea that year they had by far the best wr corps in the nfl i mean top to bottom

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM

I'm glad there are some reasonable people in here. I agree that it is crazy how the hatred for NOD has grown considering what he did in his short time in Pittsburgh. It's disappointing

Yeah, I don't understand the conspiracy theorists that say O'Donnell was trying to throw the game. That's just ridiculous. The plays were certainly unfortunate, whether the WR cut the wrong way or the QB just made a poor decision or whatever. I would argue that Ben's INT in the red zone in SBXL was a worse throw than either of the O'Donnell INT's in SBXXX, but no one has ever claimed that Ben was trying to throw SBXL, because that is just ridiculous too.

BigLebowski
07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
In no particular order.

Kordell
John Reinstra
Mike Merriweather
Walter Abercrombie
Harvey "The Original Toast" Clayton
Walter Brister
Dwayne Washington
Mark Malone
Tim Worley
Aaron Jones

stlrz d
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the conspiracy theorists that say O'Donnell was trying to throw the game. That's just ridiculous. The plays were certainly unfortunate, whether the WR cut the wrong way or the QB just made a poor decision or whatever. I would argue that Ben's INT in the red zone in SBXL was a worse throw than either of the O'Donnell INT's in SBXXX, but no one has ever claimed that Ben was trying to throw SBXL, because that is just ridiculous too.

But what if we had lost? :?:

BIG FAN
07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm not a very good hater.
However I still have this great distate whenever I read something that has something written with these catch words.
1. NOD.
2. Nodded off.

Funny how these words remind me everytime of how you can be so good and then screw up so bad, but's it's o.k. if the jets give you a lot of money.

Steel Life
07-13-2008, 12:33 AM
My "Most Hated" list?...

1) Neil O'Donnell - Came up small when it counted & wanted to go to NY when he had talent here.
2) Kent Graham - I was embarrassed to have him on the team.
3) Cedric Wilson - A bitchy, whiny player who never lived up to his contract.
4) Barrett Brooks - A human turnstile...Cowher kept this POS around instead of developing young talent.
5) Duce Staley - Hated the signing from the get go & hated seeing him taking up space.
6) Bubby Brister - Has there been a mouthier player who has accomplished so little?
7) Walter Abercrombie - He just epitomized the lackluster teams of the 80's...especially considering who we could've had.
8) Plaxico Burress - Had an attitude despite never living up to his billing.
9) Chukky Okobi - Never got the support for him despite all evidence to the contrary.
10) Jason Gildon - Never seemed to play big when we needed.

Shawn
07-13-2008, 12:39 AM

Were the Steelers doing something new in the SB? In all of NODs passes over several years I had never seen one INT like the two thrown in the SB. It was odd. Either way you slice it...he came up short when it mattered most. He will always be loathed in the Burgh.

buckeyehoppy
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Regarding Bentley, he never put on that jersey in an actual game. He signed a big contract, then was injured in his first practice with the team. It is like his body felt the bad karma of even having their practice jersey on, and it instinctively failed him so he would never have to don those colors ever again. When he became healthy enough to rejoin the team, he asked for his outright release. Smart fella. :brownssuck

Bentley was drawing a paycheck from the Clowns, but never suited up for an actual regular season game, much like Chris Spielman. I'd forgotten about that, RB, so thanks for the reminder. I guess that absolves him from ever being a Clown, much as it would have in the case of Spielman.

Funny that Bentley and Spielman are both Buckeyes and both signed with the "hometown team" (In Spielman's case, I would dispute that out of hand, since Canton/Massillon is middle ground for the Steelers/Clowns rivalry much like Youngstown is). But both pulled up lame in training camp and were never officially Clowns.

I guess I'm now OK with the Steelers taking that flier on Bentley after all. :tt2