PDA

View Full Version : Holmes continues to grow.

Shawn
07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=walker_james&id=3458639

Starters Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes remain the stalwarts in the passing game. Ward sat out this offseason after knee surgery, but Holmes looked very impressive as Roethlisberger's favorite target in minicamp. Holmes was very sharp and in great shape, and he was the hardest receiver for the Steelers' defense to contain in team drills.

Sweed also caught the ball well and is coming along fine after a wrist injury dropped his stock a little in the draft. Sweed and third-year veteran Nate Washington should have a good competition for the No. 3 receiver spot in training camp.

Discuss.

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I was just hoping this wasn't ANOTHER thread of naked Santonio! WHEW!

Seriously though, our passing attack could be the most explosive since 78-79. I have a funny feeling Limas Sweed is going to have a rookie year that is on par with Mendenhall. I think he is the #3 by the bye week.

birtikidis
07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Hell the only thing i don't like about holmes is his #!

i don't think Sweed will have any trouble knocking nate out of the #3 spot. IMO i think Nate is going to have a really hard time finding a spot on this team...

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM

i don't think Sweed will have any trouble knocking nate out of the #3 spot. IMO i think Nate is going to have a really hard time finding a spot on this team...
If Reid and/or Baker have an OUTSTANDING camp, Nate will not be a Steeler in 08.

birtikidis
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm pulling for baker... i've always had high hopes for Reid but i'm about to give up on him..

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm pulling for baker... i've always had high hopes for Reid but i'm about to give up on him..
That is going to be the most interesting battle in camp.

NC Steeler Fan
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I'll be very happy to eat my earlier words about Holmes' character issues
if he is showing the off season discipline to be considered in "great
shape" and "sharp" far ahead of training camp.

I am also very excited about the Washington/Sweed competition. Time for Nate to
get it together consistently or step aside.

In a way, it must be a very proud position for Hines to be in...with all his
accolades, he is now solidly in the respected veteran role of teacher and mentor.
I think he'll handle the next phase of his career with grace and dignity.

Coupled with the over supply of RBs in our lineup, let's just hope the injury bug
stays well away from the B&G this year.... :D

birtikidis
07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
you think? i think the most interesting battles are going to be at linebacker and center..
foote vs timmons
mahan vs whatshisname (too tired can't think...)

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
you think? i think the most interesting battles are going to be at linebacker and center..
foote vs timmons
Hartwig shouldn't be in a competition with Mahan. That should be O-V-E-R on the 27th when the players report. As far as Timmons v. Foote, I think Foote wins the job out of camp, but slowly gives way to Timmons. More of a situational job based on LT's skillset.

birtikidis
07-03-2008, 11:56 AM
i agree that hartwig should already have the job, i just think its going to be a battle for some reason. another battle i'm interested in is colon and starks...
i think Timmons wins the job in camp.. too much money invested in him and he's too good of an athlete to keep on the sideline. farrior is gone after next year and then foote reclaims his spot... but i see them rotating those middle linebackers depending on the situation.

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

If Reid and/or Baker have an OUTSTANDING camp, Nate will not be a Steeler in 08.

I can't envision any possible scenario during the preseason, no matter how OUTSTANDING the training camps for Reid and/or Baker might be, that either one of them (who have done diddly squat for this team when the games actually count) could beat out a guy who has 64 catches for 1,074 yards (16.8 yards per catch average) and 9 touchdowns over the past 2 seasons.

blacknblue80s
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
foote vs timmons
Hartwig shouldn't be in a competition with Mahan. That should be O-V-E-R on the 27th when the players report. As far as Timmons v. Foote, I think Foote wins the job out of camp, but slowly gives way to Timmons. More of a situational job based on LT's skillset.
I'm thinking the center competition will be between Hartwig and Stapleton.

Shawn
07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Holmes will be the clear #1 WR this season.
Sweed will take over the #3 WR by mid season.
Washington makes this squad again.
Reid get his azz cut.
Baker is our #5 WR
Timmons is our starter day 1 of regular season

Jigawatts
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM

:Agree

Foote gets the boot.

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Holmes will be the clear #1 WR this season.
Sweed will take over the #3 WR by mid season.
Washington makes this squad again.
Reid get his azz cut.
Baker is our #5 WR
All are probably true except for Timmons. I think he'll be more of a situational (2nd and 3rd down and long) role player for the early part of the yr. Foote won't back down and relinquish his job.

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
foote vs timmons
That would be great. Mahan will be a nice LG, C, RG backup swingman.

Shawn
07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
foote vs timmons

If nice=sucky...then yes Mahan would make a nice backup swingman.

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
foote vs timmons

If nice=sucky...then yes Mahan would make a nice backup swingman.
:Hater :Hater :Hater

SteelerNation1
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Shawn what I meant by nice is...say Kemo has to come out for a play to tie his shoe, Mahan would probably be able to handle a snap at LG. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Shawn what I meant by nice is...say Kemo has to come out for a play to tie his shoe, Mahan would probably be able to handle a snap at LG. :lol:

Hmmm...Kemo tripping over his untied shoelace, or Mahan tripping over his own two feet even though both shoes are tied? Since Kemo is bigger and therefore more difficult for the defender to run around or jump over while lying on his back, I think I would still prefer Kemo with his shoe untied than Mahan...even for one snap.
:lol:

Shawn
07-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Hmmm...Kemo tripping over his untied shoelace, or Mahan tripping over his own two feet even though both shoes are tied? Since Kemo is bigger and therefore more difficult for the defender to run around or jump over while lying on his back, I think I would still prefer Kemo with his shoe untied than Mahan...even for one snap.

Yea...I have to agree with that one.

blacknblue80s
07-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Mahan works almost like a vacuum, he sucks the defender through the gap at high speed while simultaneously throwing himself out of the play.

He is actually talented in that regard, he would make a very good exhaust fan.

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Mahan works almost like a vacuum, he sucks the defender through the gap at high speed while simultaneously throwing himself out of the play.

At hockey games, I like to yell at the opposing goalie:

"You're not a goalie, you're a sieve!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a sieve, you're a funnel!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a funnel, you're a vacuum!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a vacuum, you're a black hole!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!!!"

(a leftover from my college days at Cornell...college hockey crowds are nuts)

I've never thought about chanting at o-linemen, but I guess whatever works for poor goalie play would work for poor o-line play.

blacknblue80s
07-03-2008, 08:22 PM

At hockey games, I like to yell at the opposing goalie:

"You're not a goalie, you're a sieve!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a sieve, you're a funnel!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a funnel, you're a vacuum!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a vacuum, you're a black hole!"

Wait 5-10 seconds

"You're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!!!"

(a leftover from my college days at Cornell...college hockey crowds are nuts)

I've never thought about chanting at o-linemen, but I guess whatever works for poor goalie play would work for poor o-line play.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to watch the Gulls in San Diego with a friend of mine, he would yell at the opposing team all night.

We had to keep a low profile on the way back to the car though, those minor league hockey guys don't have much to lose. :shock: :lol:

Scarletfire1970
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
If we can get decent play out of our line, we should have an explosive offense this year. I read this article and posted it on the Trib. Mainly to see what certain posters that hate Santonio and refuse to admit he can be a #1 WR in this league would say. I love the guy. He might not be tall, but he is tough and catches damn near everything.

Ozey74
07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
If we can get decent play out of our line, we should have an explosive offense this year. I read this article and posted it on the Trib. Mainly to see what certain posters that hate Santonio and refuse to admit he can be a #1 WR in this league would say. I love the guy. He might not be tall, but he is tough and catches damn near everything.

Agree with all that you say!! It's great that he had Hines to help him since he's been in the league......