PDA

View Full Version : Tarheels!!!

Buh-Bye
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
This space reserved for the 2009 National Champion Tarheels!!

:Beer

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
This space reserved for the 2009 National Champion Tarheels!!

:Beer

You do realize that this is a college FOOTBALL forum, right? :wink: :lol:

Shawn
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Puleez.

The Buckeyes will own the Football and Basketball Nationals this season.

Buh-Bye
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Puleez.

They have a basketball team? :shock:

Shawn
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Puleez.

They have a basketball team? :shock:

You don't remember Oden? Shoot 2 years ago...we were #2!

This year we have the #1 guy in the nation coming in. We will have 2 7 foot freaks.
Both are serious ball players. No one will be able to match up when they are both on the floor.

birtikidis
07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
yea OSU has a basketball team.
they managed to finish #2 to the gators TWICE in the same season! FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL!
SAY IT'S GREAT TO BE
A FLORIDA GATOR FAN
I SAID IT'S GREAT TO BE
A FLORIDA GATOR FAN!

Shawn
07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
F the gators!

Iron Shiek
07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
F the gators!

Dam it! We are never going to live that down!! Didn't we beat them in the NIT or something though? :D :roll:

SMG - I was excited about the "Thad Five" a couple years ago, but this could be just as sweet. What a recruiting genius.

Oh i forgot, this was a Tarheels thread...uh...Tarheel football is whack. There.

birtikidis
07-04-2008, 02:01 AM
NIT whoop de do!

NKySteeler
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Puleez.

Sorry Shawn, but I may have to bookmark this response when the prognostication awards come around at the end of the year.... This will undoubtably get you disqualified.

USC will be the champs this season in football.... B-ball is another story, but I doubt it will be UNC or tOSU..... How about Kentucky?!...... :lol:

birtikidis
07-04-2008, 08:26 PM
UNC will be good in bball as will KY.
this football season should be a pretty exciting one though.

Buh-Bye
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Tar Heels Picked Second In Coastal Division

Carolina posts best preseason position since 1999.

July 21, 2008

GREENSBORO, Ga. - In a vote by the media in attendance at the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Kickoff, North Carolina was picked to finish second in the league's Coastal Division in the fast-approaching football season.

The second-place pick for the Tar Heels was their highest since the ACC went to divisional play in 2005. UNC was predicted to finish fifth in the Coastal in each of the last three seasons and finished the season fourth in the division a year ago.

The Tar Heels last cracked the league's preseason top four in 1999, when they were voted fourth, and were last picked second in 1998 after posting back-to-back top-five national finishes in 1996 and 1997.

Head coach Butch Davis, who met with the media Monday at The Ritz-Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation, and the Tar Heels open training camp Aug. 1 and kick off the 2008 season Aug. 30 against McNeese State at Kenan Stadium.

2008 ACC Preseason Media Poll
Atlantic Division
1. Clemson (59) - 383 points
2. Wake Forest (5) - 304
3. Florida State (1) - 265
4. Boston College - 154
5. Maryland - 147
6. NC State - 112

Coastal Division
1. Virginia Tech (58) - 383
2. North Carolina (4) - 288
3. Miami (1) - 253
4. Georgia Tech (1) - 195
5. Virginia (1) - 161
6. Duke - 85

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

NKySteeler
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM

July 21, 2008

GREENSBORO, Ga. - In a vote by the media in attendance at the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Kickoff, North Carolina was picked to finish second in the league's Coastal Division in the fast-approaching football season.

The second-place pick for the Tar Heels was their highest since the ACC went to divisional play in 2005. UNC was predicted to finish fifth in the Coastal in each of the last three seasons and finished the season fourth in the division a year ago.

The Tar Heels last cracked the league's preseason top four in 1999, when they were voted fourth, and were last picked second in 1998 after posting back-to-back top-five national finishes in 1996 and 1997.

Head coach Butch Davis, who met with the media Monday at The Ritz-Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation, and the Tar Heels open training camp Aug. 1 and kick off the 2008 season Aug. 30 against McNeese State at Kenan Stadium.

Atlantic Division
2. Wake Forest (5) - 304
4. Boston College - 154
5. Maryland - 147
6. NC State - 112

Coastal Division
3. Miami (1) - 253
5. Virginia (1) - 161
6. Duke - 85

Well, as long as you guys beat Va Tech, I'll twist an ankle jumping on the bandwagon... :wink:

Buh-Bye
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

July 21, 2008

Atlantic Division
2. Wake Forest (5) - 304
4. Boston College - 154
5. Maryland - 147
6. NC State - 112

Coastal Division
3. Miami (1) - 253
5. Virginia (1) - 161
6. Duke - 85

Well, as long as you guys beat Va Tech, I'll twist an ankle jumping on the bandwagon... :wink:

Dammit we need to. I am tired of losing to them. :x

NKySteeler
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Dammit we need to. I am tired of losing to them. :x

I don't know why, but I absolutely HATE them!... I don't know if it is because of Michael Vick, or the fact that I saw Frank Beamer slap a player upside the head during a game at WVU, but I hate them.... Moreso than Notre Dame.... :lol:

NKySteeler
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
BTW, did you REALLY have the college Gameplan listed on your last Directv bill? ... I didn't, but will see if it's listed on the next one due next week... They usually automatically renew the services (Ticket, superfan, etc...), but I just haven't seen it...

Buh-Bye
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
BTW, did you REALLY have the college Gameplan listed on your last Directv bill? ... I didn't, but will see if it's listed on the next one due next week... They usually automatically renew the services (Ticket, superfan, etc...), but I just haven't seen it...

Nah, I was just kidding with you. The last bill didnt have any of them listed, imagine it will be on the next one.

But, rumor is a blackout will occur only for Kentucky. :Boobs

NKySteeler
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Nah, I was just kidding with you. The last bill didnt have any of them listed, imagine it will be on the next one.

...The bill just came today in the mail, and yes, Gameplan was on it... I also noticed that alot of the "sports pack" channels are changing... FSP will be moving up to 659 I think... Wonder why they're scrambling them all up?.... (I usually just get the sports pack for football season so as to view FSP)

BTW, I went on-line to thier (Directv) sports schedule, and it appears UNCs' opening game against McNeese St on August 30th has been cancelled due to "lack of interest"... :o :wink:

Buh-Bye
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM

...The bill just came today in the mail, and yes, Gameplan was on it... I also noticed that alot of the "sports pack" channels are changing... FSP will be moving up to 659 I think... Wonder why they're scrambling them all up?.... (I usually just get the sports pack for football season so as to view FSP)

BTW, I went on-line to thier (Directv) sports schedule, and it appears UNCs' opening game against McNeese St on August 30th has been cancelled due to "lack of interest"... :o :wink:

:Hater

P.S. Who the hell is McNeese State anyway? :|

NKySteeler
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
P.S. Who the hell is McNeese State anyway? :|

No clue.... Which was the point....
...Then again, ask Michigan who Appalachian St is.........

Buh-Bye
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Expectations Rising for North Carolina, Davis
Jul 31, 12:48 PM (ET) Email this Story

By AARON BEARD

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -Butch Davis doesn't look like he's leading a program whose last winning record came seven years ago.

His North Carolina team is a popular pick to contend for an Atlantic Coast Conference division title. Fans have scooped up every season ticket. Plans for stadium expansion are inching forward. And Davis, after managing just four wins in his first season here, has already secured a contract extension and a raise.

That buzz doesn't fit with the Tar Heels' struggles since consecutive top-10 seasons a decade ago. Yet so much of that attitude starts with Davis, a big name whose mere presence has success-starved fans believing that a turnaround is close entering his second season.

"It is nice to be appreciated, OK?" the coach said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I think it's a compliment certainly that people think I can be a part of the turnaround. But the reality is I'm just a part of it, that it will take more than just me. It's going to take the administration. It's going to take people filling the stadium up and cheering and creating that electric atmosphere on Saturdays. It's going to take recruits.

"A head coach at any particular place is a portion of it, but you're not 100 percent of the solution."

As his players were reporting for preseason camp Thursday, Davis cautions that consistent success will take time. He's quick to cite a nonconference schedule that includes a trip to Rutgers and a visit from Notre Dame. Still, the expectations have risen steadily, rooted in his work bringing probation-saddled Miami back among the nation's elite in the 1990s before coaching the NFL's Cleveland Browns.

Two weeks ago, the media picked the Tar Heels to finish second in the Coastal Division behind perennial power Virginia Tech at the league's kickoff event. It's a rare show of respect for a program that hasn't been nationally relevant in more than a decade, when Mack Brown's Tar Heels went a combined 21-3 in 1996 and '97 before the coach left for Texas.

They have gone 47-71 in the 10 seasons since. They haven't had a winning record since 2001 and have reached just three bowl games - the same number of coaches they've had in that span - while languishing in the shadow of the storied men's basketball program led by Roy Williams.

Davis' first team gave reason for hope; six of its eight losses came by seven or fewer points. That included a loss at Hawaii Bowl champion East Carolina on a last-play field goal and loss at North Carolina State in which the Tar Heels couldn't convert a fourth-and-goal from the 7-yard line in the final seconds.

The results apparently were good enough to sell North Carolina's fans, who sat through a series of ugly lopsided losses in six years under fired predecessor John Bunting. They responded by buying the entire allotment of 36,250 season tickets - the most in school history.

It was also enough to persuade university officials to give Davis - who was being mentioned as a possible candidate for openings at alma mater Arkansas and elsewhere - a one-year extension and a raise of $291,000 to push his annual income to about $2.1 million at the end of last year.

"Most of the people that have ever sat on the (university's) board of trustees, they're CEOs of companies and they understand you're not going to turn the fortunes of a company immediately around," Davis said. "It's going to take a vision. It's going to take hard work. I don't think any fans by any stretch of the imagination are into the 10-year plan. But I think they're clearly understanding that ... you've got to recruit athletes and you've got to retain your coaching staff."

Davis said several times last season he is happy in Chapel Hill, but his name almost certainly will be tossed around again if North Carolina continues to improve. It's something Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, who coached with Davis at Miami, understands well after leading the once-woeful Scarlet Knights to consecutive bowl victories.

"Butch is a good football coach and there is always going to be a demand for a good football coach," Schiano said. "I think he's really excited about building a program in Carolina.

"The fact that you're desirable, that means your program is doing well. It certainly has its adverse effects, no doubt. ... I think you have to be very selective if you are going to consider anything else. The fans and the administration, they get tired of it."

Davis' situation also underlines the fickle nature of success in college football. A repeat 4-8 record won't be received with the same exuberance, and fans will withdraw if the win total doesn't soon match their optimistic expectations.

But none of that matters just yet. After all, Davis' credentials are enough to keep fans both excited and patient.

"I love the fact games are sold out, that people are talking about stadium expansion and the growth of the football program," he said. "That's exciting. It's why you wanted to take the job at Carolina. You knew that potential. ... People are really starting to take notice."