PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

Ozey74
06-29-2008, 08:36 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/ ... vin-jones/ (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/29/dolphins-packers-steelers-lions-show-interest-in-kevin-jones/)

If there was an icon with the small yellow dude scratching his head I would insert here.

stlrz d
06-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe they're not as impressed with Gary Russell as people think?

Shawn
06-29-2008, 09:28 AM

That would certainly go against early reports about Russell. It could mean the Steelers want to trade Parker. It could also mean they want some additional comp in training camp. I can't imagine Jones will command a huge price tag.

Shawn
06-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I was looking for a recent article that I read talking about Russell....couldn't find it. I believe it was Wexell who thought Russell took a huge leap...increased muscle mass, running harder, faster etc. I think Wexell has as much love for Russell's game as I do. I do not think Jones could make this squad personally. If the Steelers are truely interested it would to push Russell and Moore...IMO. It could also give them freedom to trade Parker (less likely). I would personally think a Jones signing would put more pressure on Moore...than Russell.

stlrz d
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I recall seeing the article about Russell but when I read something like that I keep in mind that he's doing those things in practice and not against opponents in a contest that means something in the W-L column. I'd like for him to be successful (of course) because I'm a Steelers fan but I'm not going to get too excited about him until I see him suited up and playing on game days.

I agree that a Parker trade is highly unlikely but I disagree that it puts more pressure on Moore. He's a guy who's been in the league and shown he can produce. Russell still hasn't done that.

I don't know how much KJ brings to the table, but I really suspect this may be an indication that the Steelers still haven't seen enough out of Russell. Of course I'm not in on meetings or at practices so the best I can do is speculate as a fan.

Shawn
06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I recall seeing the article about Russell but when I read something like that I keep in mind that he's doing those things in practice and not against opponents in a contest that means something in the W-L column. I'd like for him to be successful (of course) because I'm a Steelers fan but I'm not going to get too excited about him until I see him suited up and playing on game days.

I agree that a Parker trade is highly unlikely but I disagree that it puts more pressure on Moore. He's a guy who's been in the league and shown he can produce. Russell still hasn't done that.

I don't know how much KJ brings to the table, but I really suspect this may be an indication that the Steelers still haven't seen enough out of Russell. Of course I'm not in on meetings or at practices so the best I can do is speculate as a fan.

I certainly concede that point. With that said, didn't Russell lead the NFL in rushing last preseason? That was an out of shape, out of football Russell. When given serious chances to run, Russell has definately shown up to play. While you could be right about the Steelers feelings about Russell...I don't believe their perceived interest in Jones means they don't love Russell. They will bring in another RB to compete...I truely believe that. They like to push the new guys. While I'm not ready to throw Russell into the rotation...I am truely excited about a guy who was a first round talent not getting drafted and landing in Pittsburgh. If and I say if the Steelers cut Russell...I truely believe that will come back to haunt them.

SteelHoss
06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I think the Steelers look at Jones was nothing more than cursory. Jones might be an option if something happens to someone before or at the upcoming camp. That could be why they took a look IMO.

stlrz d
06-29-2008, 10:36 AM

I certainly concede that point. With that said, didn't Russell lead the NFL in rushing last preseason? That was an out of shape, out of football Russell. When given serious chances to run, Russell has definately shown up to play. While you could be right about the Steelers feelings about Russell...I don't believe their perceived interest in Jones means they don't love Russell. They will bring in another RB to compete...I truely believe that. They like to push the new guys. While I'm not ready to throw Russell into the rotation...I am truely excited about a guy who was a first round talent not getting drafted and landing in Pittsburgh. If and I say if the Steelers cut Russell...I truely believe that will come back to haunt them.

Don't get me wrong my friend...I want to see him succeed too and I was pleased to see what he did last preseason as well. I'm just speculating is all.

It could be as you and SteelHoss say...they're only interested in him as a body to push what they have.

LasVegasGuy
06-29-2008, 04:37 PM

I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.

stlrz d
06-29-2008, 06:28 PM

I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.

Parker is under contract and has accomplished far more than Jones ever has...why would they do that?

birtikidis
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2tmci2m9]Maybe they're not as impressed with Gary Russell as people think?

Parker is under contract and has accomplished far more than Jones ever has...why would they do that?[/quote:2tmci2m9]

indeed.

Oviedo
06-29-2008, 07:49 PM

I'll take any Steeler back over Jones. What has he ever done? He is damaged goods. Not good for a RB given that really good ones only last about 5 years.

NKySteeler
06-29-2008, 08:18 PM
It could also mean they want some additional comp in training camp. I can't imagine Jones will command a huge price tag.

I was thinking the same thing, and the more competition the better, IMO. ... But they must trim the roster to 80 prior to camp, so the selections better be damn good for the said competition...

Steel Life
06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
All things considered, I like it.

It's a continuation of the departure from past habits of not entertaining other possibilities or players. The old mindset kept guys like Staley & Lee Mays on this team longer than they deserved. The old mindset probably wouldn't have cut Najeh or Wilson, or Colclough for that matter, whereas Tomlin seems willing to pull the trigger on such moves. In the end we don't know if the interest is genuine or if it's just tire-kicking, either way there's no harm in checking him out or sending another subtle message to the others in case they missed the one involving Davenport.

Shawn
06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
All things considered, I like it.

It's a continuation of the departure from past habits of not entertaining other possibilities or players. The old mindset kept guys like Staley & Lee Mays on this team longer than they deserved. The old mindset probably wouldn't have cut Najeh or Wilson, or Colclough for that matter, whereas Tomlin seems willing to pull the trigger on such moves. In the end we don't know if the interest is genuine or if it's just tire-kicking, either way there's no harm in checking him out or sending another subtle message to the others in case they missed the one involving Davenport.

Agreed.

MeetJoeGreene
06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I personally can't stand Kevin Jones ever since he dissed PSU for Va Tech, so it is almost impossible for me to be objective.

Objectively speaking, he has never lived up to his potential IMO and especially with this injury, I don't see him being that good.

I also see him wanting to sign a 1 year deal to prove himself to bridge to a bigger, longer term deal -- and I don't see the Steelers giving him that opportunity.

I also think it would be as a Russell replacement not Parker.

I don't know where his workout was, but maybe the Steelers scout had a girlfriend in that area and just wanted some action -- on expense.

NKySteeler
06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
I also think it would be as a Russell replacement not Parker.

Agreed.... And I also don't think it will happen either....

kennyes
06-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Maybe they're just window shopping or a tire kicking sorta thing... With the release of Dumper, perhaps they are just testing the waters. I find it hard to believe after this years draft, and free agency aquiring Moore, as well as Parker's success, albeit opinionated by many at that, would claim a serious inquiry in Jones. IMO...

Any news on the Booger deal or any additional help for the O-line side of things would be of more interest to me, anyway... I'm all for bringing Kreider back actually.

Ozey74
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Any news on the Booger deal or any additional help for the O-line side of things would be of more interest to me, anyway

I don't believe the Booger signing will take place. He worked out for several teams a few weeks ago & the Steelers didn't attend, unfortunately.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Kevin Jones is a local kid...That is the only think I could come up with. It does puzzle me why they were there.