PDA

View Full Version : Prisco Ranks Ben 17th Best Player

Flasteel
06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Another stupifying list by Prisco. This time he's ranking the top 50 players and he's got Carson Palmer rated number eight, while Ben is 17 and the only Steeler on the list. I don't think I'm wearing homer goggles when I say this is complete garbage.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10877567

BIG FAN
06-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Another stupifying list by Prisco. This time he's ranking the top 50 players and he's got Carson Palmer rated number eight, while Ben is 17 and the only Steeler on the list. I don't think I'm wearing homer goggles when I say this is complete garbage.

Prisco, Cook, both a small bunch ot Peters.
And NO, your not wearing the goggles either.

Mr Smartmonies
06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
3 years ago, I can remember Cowher saying we have to Stop Rudy johnson before we do anything. Palmer did nothing with that splendid trio of receivers and a good back while he was in his prime. I'd like to see him have to throw behind our line and too guys named Nate and Ced on third down. You think his third down passing stats are bad now???

BIG FAN
06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
3 years ago, I can remember Cowher saying we have to Stop Rudy johnson before we do anything. Palmer did nothing with that splendid trio of receivers and a good back while he was in his prime. I'd like to see him have to throw behind our line and too guys named Nate and Ced on third down. You think his third down passing stats are bad now???

And where is the tight end in that bengirls off.?

Mr Smartmonies
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
[quote="Mr Smartmonies":38uksypn]3 years ago, I can remember Cowher saying we have to Stop Rudy johnson before we do anything. Palmer did nothing with that splendid trio of receivers and a good back while he was in his prime. I'd like to see him have to throw behind our line and too guys named Nate and Ced on third down. You think his third down passing stats are bad now???

And where is the tight end in that bengirls off.?[/quote:38uksypn]

They could use a Tight End. No question about it. But you can't complain with those Receivers and a healthy Rudy Johnson of 2-3 years ago. I mean that's why Palmer goes deep a lot. He' has deep threats all over the place.

BURGH86STEEL
06-29-2008, 12:55 AM

I do not agree with every player Prisco has there. I usually disagree with is opinion on things. Hey it is only his opinion. Right or wrong everybody has one.

Ozey74
06-29-2008, 08:17 AM
This is another example of the Steelers not getting the respect they deserve. Personally, I like it. Let them do there thing. Remember our SB run a few years back? :tt2

Shawn
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Sounds about right. We all know Palmer is a HoFr in waiting. Don't be such homers.

Iron Shiek
06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds about right. We all know Palmer is a HoFr in waiting. Don't be such homers.

What is below a "poor man's Dan Marino"? Jim Everett or something? That is what Palmer will be, Jim Everett. Then he can go on Jim Rome's show one day and b!tch slap Romey, flip a table and say "Don't call me Rosey!"

NKySteeler
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
That is what Palmer will be, Jim Everett. Then he can go on Jim Rome's show one day and b!tch slap Romey, flip a table and say "Don't call me Rosey!"

:Clap ...... Aw, man!..... Very funny! :lol: :lol:

I really didn't mind the Rams and Everett. He was actually a very good qb with some great numbers. But when he pulled that, it was just... :wft

Iron Shiek
06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I really never minded Jim Everett either. He wasn't bad, just never won anything, played on a ****e team, and put some decent stats up. That is all Palmer will ever amount to, but nobody realizes it but some of us highly intelligent board frequenters. ha

Djfan
06-30-2008, 01:58 AM
I met Jim Rome when he was first starting out in San Diego. He was a hard worker to be sure, and the other sports jocks called him "Junior". Truth is that he is an ego who is over compensating for his 5'2" stature. Never blamed Everett for dealing with rudeness.

RussBII
06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I met Jim Rome when he was first starting out in San Diego. He was a hard worker to be sure, and the other sports jocks called him "Junior". Truth is that he is an ego who is over compensating for his 5'2" stature. Never blamed Everett for dealing with rudeness.

I've never held that against Jim Everett either. Rome was clearly bating him. Besides, if it had gone to a straight up throw down, i think "Chrissy" would've taken Rome cleanly. I used to like Rome's radio show, but I just had to stop for several reasons.

A) He'll beat a darned joke to death
B) Half of his callers are just insipid morons
C) Half of his show is dead air. He takes the longest breaks between sentences some times.

But back to the thread:

This is obviously garbage. I don't understand why there aren't a few more Steelers on the list as well. I guess no one else "stands out" as much as Ben. It pains me to no end that no Steelers defensive player is on the list.

frankthetank1
06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
for one they have mario williams extremely high also charles woodson should not be in the top 20. even when he was in his prime he was very over rated. how is troy not on the top 50? thats retarded and worse than having ben at 17. even though troy had injury problems the last two years he is still the best all around safety in the league. at least ray lewis wasnt on the list. then i would have to punch a hole in my monitor

Jom112
06-30-2008, 04:26 PM
for one they have mario williams extremely high also charles woodson should not be in the top 20. even when he was in his prime he was very over rated. how is troy not on the top 50? thats retarded and worse than having ben at 17. even though troy had injury problems the last two years he is still the best all around safety in the league. at least ray lewis wasnt on the list. then i would have to punch a hole in my monitor

Ben definitely closed the gap between himself and Carson last season. If Carson is in the top ten then Ben should be closely behind in the rankings. To have around 10 spots between them and leaving Troy and Hampton off the list is a little suspect. The guy appears not to like the Steelers too much. Although I can't blame the guy... :lol:

Did nothing? Explain? In 2005 he led the team to a division crown and then we all know what happened. It is what it is, I'm not going to complain about the incident but you can't say Carson didn't do anything with that talent. In 2006, Henry was suspended, Perry got hurt and Rudi started slowing down. Rudi's YPC went down in 2006 and our O-Line was hurt badly. Having two great receivers and nothing else isn't going to get it done.

Luckily our coaching staff realized that and drafted 2 rookie receivers and signed a solid TE this offseason. Now we just need our running game to be at least decent...

RuthlessBurgher
06-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Ben definitely closed the gap between himself and Carson last season. If Carson is in the top ten then Ben should be closely behind in the rankings. To have around 10 spots between them and leaving Troy and Hampton off the list is a little suspect. The guy appears not to like the Steelers too much. Although I can't blame the guy... :lol:

Did nothing? Explain? In 2005 he led the team to a division crown and then we all know what happened. It is what it is, I'm not going to complain about the incident but you can't say Carson didn't do anything with that talent. In 2006, Henry was suspended, Perry got hurt and Rudi started slowing down. Rudi's YPC went down in 2006 and our O-Line was hurt badly. Having two great receivers and nothing else isn't going to get it done.

Luckily our coaching staff realized that and drafted 2 rookie receivers and signed a solid TE this offseason. Now we just need our running game to be at least decent...

...and some semblence of a defense... :stirpot :bungalssuck

Jom112
06-30-2008, 04:52 PM

:Hater

We're working on a defense. Should be done sometime this decade...

steelcityrules!!
06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
this looks like some blind monkey threw darts at a wall of pictures. I'll give him the top 3, but anyone who's even heard of the league could get them in the right order.

:wft

NKySteeler
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM

... And the same thing is said about the repair work on the Brent Spence bridge into your fair city of fandom... :lol:

BTW, the fate of Chris Henry is now in the hands of the jury... Just heard on the news that the jury was sent to deliberate just before 4pm today...

Anyway, I just don't see your defense working as a cohesive unit. The line is separate from the backers, and they are separate from the secondary... One group must compliment the other and work in tandem to be effective... I could give you an example, but you probably know which organization I would reference... You guys have some good individual talent, but they don't work well together at this point in time, IMO.

...And yes, Keith Rivers is a stud.

Jom112
06-30-2008, 05:28 PM
... And the same thing is said about the repair work on the Brent Spence bridge into your fair city of fandom... :lol:

BTW, the fate of Chris Henry is now in the hands of the jury... Just heard on the news that the jury was sent to deliberate just before 4pm today...

Anyway, I just don't see your defense working as a cohesive unit. The line is separate from the backers, and they are separate from the secondary... One group must compliment the other and work in tandem to be effective... I could give you an example, but you probably know which organization I would reference... You guys have some good individual talent, but they don't work well together at this point in time, IMO.

I think they'll work as a cohesive unit this season. Injuries kind of prevented that the last couple of seasons.

Keith Rivers I really hope steps up and becomes a leader for this young unit. Since TKO left, Odell appeared to be the only other player that sort of brought the team together with his mix of swagger/confidence and talent. As sad as that comment is...

NKySteeler
06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Keith Rivers I really hope steps up and becomes a leader for this young unit. Since TKO left, Odell appeared to be the only other player that sort of brought the team together with his mix of swagger/confidence and talent. As sad as that comment is...

David Pollack could have been that leader. Very sad...

ikestops85
06-30-2008, 06:17 PM

I think they'll work as a cohesive unit this season. Injuries kind of prevented that the last couple of seasons.

Rivers hasn't even stepped on the field yet so I think we will have to wait and see how he pans out. I think the new DC for the bengals will help but it will be baby steps. Like most teams the Bengals will be competitive as long as they can stay healthy but a couple of injuries on either side of the ball and they are a .500 team at best.

stlrz d
06-30-2008, 06:59 PM

I sure as hell hope not. Kimo didn't take cheap shots when he played for Cincy and he didn't here either.

Jom112
06-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Rivers hasn't even stepped on the field yet so I think we will have to wait and see how he pans out. I think the new DC for the bengals will help but it will be baby steps. Like most teams the Bengals will be competitive as long as they can stay healthy but a couple of injuries on either side of the ball and they are a .500 team at best.

Good to hear from you Ike.

The problem is that only person on the defensive side that has really stepped up in the locker room is John Thornton. And he sucks major arse. JJ, Geathers, Ndukwe or Dhani could also potentially step up, but I want to see Rivers develop into that position. It's more wishful thinking than anything else.

I sure as hell hope not. Kimo didn't take cheap shots when he played for Cincy and he didn't here either.

Like I said, it is what it is. I didn't think it was a cheap shot, but when Odell hit Ben earlier that season, you guys had no problems whining and calling it a cheap shot. Not all of you guys but a decent amount. I believe Ben himself stated that everytime a player goes low on a QB, that it is a little dirty.

Personally I could care less though...

NKySteeler
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I didn't think it was a cheap shot, but when Odell hit Ben earlier that season, you guys had no problems whining and calling it a cheap shot. Not all of you guys but a decent amount. I believe Ben himself stated that everytime a player goes low on a QB, that it is a little dirty.

Would that be like Marvin whining about hits on Carson during his post-game press conference the following season... Stating that his qb was unfairly abused? Blaming Cowher and anyone else on the opposing sideline...

Jom112
06-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Would that be like Marvin whining about hits on Carson during his post-game press conference the following season... Stating that his qb was unfairly abused? Blaming Cowher and anyone else on the opposing sideline...

Exactly like that. Although I don't remember those exact comments, but I was fairly drunk by then so I will take your word on it.

I have no problem admitting that many of people in the Bengals fanbase (And organization) cry that it was an unfair hit on Palmer but I just wanted to point out that your fanbase and organization did the same exact thing (speaking relatively of course)...

NKySteeler
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I have no problem admitting that many of people in the Bengals fanbase (And organization) cry that it was an unfair hit on Palmer but I just wanted to point out that your fanbase and organization did the same exact thing...

I think we can agree that any low hit on a qb could be considered or at least interpreted as dirty when we are on the receiving end, regardless of intent... It's due to our passion for the team.

Mr Smartmonies
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

you could start by being a little better on third down. Might keep that Defense off the field :wink:

Jom112
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM

you could start by being a little better on third down. Might keep that Defense off the field :wink:

That's what Ben Utecht and Chris "Glass" Perry are for...

stlrz d
06-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Good to hear from you Ike.

The problem is that only person on the defensive side that has really stepped up in the locker room is John Thornton. And he sucks major arse. JJ, Geathers, Ndukwe or Dhani could also potentially step up, but I want to see Rivers develop into that position. It's more wishful thinking than anything else.

Like I said, it is what it is. I didn't think it was a cheap shot, but when Odell hit Ben earlier that season, you guys had no problems whining and calling it a cheap shot. Not all of you guys but a decent amount. I believe Ben himself stated that everytime a player goes low on a QB, that it is a little dirty.

Personally I could care less though...

Hell, I don't even remember that play...so obviously I'm not complaining about it. And before you go jumping to conclusions, I haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 4 1/2 years.

kennyes
06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Who in the hell names their kid Carson?! :loser

:bungalssuck

Jom112
07-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Or their son Casey... :wink:

Flasteel
07-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Hell, I don't even remember that play...so obviously I'm not complaining about it. And before you go jumping to conclusions, I haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 4 1/2 years.

Roofies?

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM

What if Johnny Carson named his kid Carson? It's Carson Carson. Then again, we had Willie Williams on our team...

ikestops85
07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

Mrs. Daly :lol:

stlrz d
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Roofies?

:lol:

Not that either!

stlrz d
07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok, I just heard Prisco interviewed on Fox Sports Radio. He said he talked to players, scouts and GMs to come up with this list, as well as his own opinion.

He said he put Richard Seymour (a Patriot) on the list because when he's healthy (he added he knows injuries have affected his play) he is a top 50 player in the league. Then when they asked him why no Troy (a Steeler) he said he's been hurt and it's affected his play?

They asked him about Romo and he said the general consensus was that people say, "Let's see him do it again." I actually agree with that.

I texted them several times trying to get them to ask how he could rate Palmer (a guy who's never won a playoff game) above Ben, but they didn't. Instead they just asked him about Palmer and he said that the consensus was that Palmer is the 3rd best QB in the league and even in a down year he still put up good numbers. I don't buy that the consensus was that Palmer was the 3rd best QB in the league...we've got a guy here who can prove that (no need to post all the stats MSM! :D)

He also said Eli didn't make the list because he has to see him do it again. Again, I agree.

Mario Williams has one good year and nearly makes the top 5...why doesn't he have to see him do it again? :wft

Again, a ridiculous list and Prisco is an idiot.... :loser

Jom112
07-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Ok, I just heard Prisco interviewed on Fox Sports Radio. He said he talked to players, scouts and GMs to come up with this list, as well as his own opinion.

He said he put Richard Seymour (a Patriot) on the list because when he's healthy (he added he knows injuries have affected his play) he is a top 50 player in the league. Then when they asked him why no Troy (a Steeler) he said he's been hurt and it's affected his play?

They asked him about Romo and he said the general consensus was that people say, "Let's see him do it again." I actually agree with that.

I texted them several times trying to get them to ask how he could rate Palmer (a guy who's never won a playoff game) above Ben, but they didn't. Instead they just asked him about Palmer and he said that the consensus was that Palmer is the 3rd best QB in the league and even in a down year he still put up good numbers. I don't buy that the consensus was that Palmer was the 3rd best QB in the league...we've got a guy here who can prove that (no need to post all the stats MSM! :D)

He also said Eli didn't make the list because he has to see him do it again. Again, I agree.

Mario Williams has one good year and nearly makes the top 5...why doesn't he have to see him do it again? :wft

Again, a ridiculous list and Prisco is an idiot.... :loser

While I won't argue that Prisco is an idiot, the Palmer / Ben argument is just a matter of preference. I don't think they should have been separated by that many spots though.

Here is an interesting stat that I saw in an article talking about Ben Utecht going from playing with Manning to Palmer:

"Palmer has passed for 12,003 yards and 86 touchdowns, while Manning has passed for 12,184 yards and 90 touchdowns over the past three seasons".

That alone should tell you that Palmer deserves to have his name in the discussion for the #3 best overall QB in the NFL. As I said in another thread you can make a case for Ben or Palmer, it's just a matter of preference...