PDA

View Full Version : Total Access-Troy's Workout

Oviedo
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=CF ... 5d808feae0 (http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=CFEDA119CC7C36450FA796BD55D2CC9E ?videoId=09000d5d808feae0)

Good video. Troy seems to be really focused. Tomlin made a good decision letting him do what he is comfortable with. I think he comes back as an animal.

I'll beat the dead horse. Please Dick LeBeau quit rushing Troy against 300lb linemen.

rpmpit
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Saw that and I agree. Troy is on his way back.

But were you a little uncomfortable with Todd Marinovich's dad being the head trainer? I don't know, it just seemed a little weird.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

But were you a little uncomfortable with Todd Marinovich's dad being the head trainer? I don't know, it just seemed a little weird.

Good trainers do not necessarily make good fathers, particularly when they are maniacally pushing their kid to be a pro athlete from the time he was a toddler. I don't think Todd was even allowed to eat McDonalds throughout his teenage years, so he rebelled 1000% percent after flaming out with the Raiders, opting for heroin instead. :shock:

rpmpit
06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Good trainers do not necessarily make good fathers, particularly when they are maniacally pushing their kid to be a pro athlete from the time he was a toddler. I don't think Todd was even allowed to eat McDonalds throughout his teenage years, so he rebelled 1000% percent after flaming out with the Raiders, opting for heroin instead. :shock:

Totally agree. Just that Troy seems to be such a good, decent, spiritual person and Marinovich (from what we've heard about him) seems just the opposite. Just an overall weird combination I guess.

Jigawatts
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=CFEDA119CC7C36450FA796BD55D2CC9E ?videoId=09000d5d808feae0

Good video. Troy seems to be really focused. Tomlin made a good decision letting him do what he is comfortable with. I think he comes back as an animal.

I'll beat the dead horse. Please bad word LeBeau quit rushing Troy against 300lb linemen.

I'd like to get some sort of petition going concerning that...

Oviedo
06-25-2008, 02:31 PM

No one ever questioned for one milisecond Todd Marinovich's physical abilities. He was an outstanding athlete which "Dad the trainer" gets credit for. "Dad the parent" may be a traininwreck, but it is an apples and oranges comparison.

I think a great deal of Todd's problems were Todd and personal responsibility. He got out on his own outside of the structured environment his dad created and he could no handle it. Todd being an idiot doesn't reflect at all on his Dad's ability to be trainer.

rpmpit
06-25-2008, 02:36 PM

No one ever questioned for one milisecond Todd Marinovich's physical abilities. He was an outstanding athlete which "Dad the trainer" gets credit for. "Dad the parent" may be a traininwreck, but it is an apples and oranges comparison.

I think a great deal of Todd's problems were Todd and personal responsibility. He got out on his own outside of the structured environment his dad created and he could no handle it. Todd being an idiot doesn't reflect at all on his Dad's ability to be trainer.

But wasn't it his dad's responsibility to not only get him physically prepared but also emotionally and psychologically prepared for football - and really life in general?

I don't think its fair to call Todd an idiot. I think he was just pushed too hard for too long and that's why he rebelled.

But yeah, like I said, if the guy can get Troy back to being Troy, I'm all for it!!

SteelHoss
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Troy looks great! Positive reports are coming in from all quarters. Its beginning to look very good.

Oviedo
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM

But wasn't it his dad's responsibility to not only get him physically prepared but also emotionally and psychologically prepared for football - and really life in general?

I don't think its fair to call Todd an idiot. I think he was just pushed too hard for too long and that's why he rebelled.

But yeah, like I said, if the guy can get Troy back to being Troy, I'm all for it!!

When rebeling costs you millions of dollars and the opportunity to do what many would give their right arm to do then you are an idiot. Involvement in any type of drugs automatically makes you an idiot. Its about personal responsibility. People coming from tougher situations than Todd's upper middle class background don't do the stupid things he did.

Mr Smartmonies
06-25-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=CFEDA119CC7C36450FA796BD55D2CC9E ?videoId=09000d5d808feae0

We agree on this. Troy works best in isolation. He needed that time out there to focus. you hit the nail on the head.

birtikidis
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
i've done similar training before and i have to say it is extreme.
most atheletes train the hell out of their slow twitch muscle fibers making them extremely good at endurance. but when you combine slow twitch endurance workouts with intense fast twitch movements... man it's crazy how much more athletic you become.

Steelhere10
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
give me the steel, because that looks like it hurts :Binky

birtikidis
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
the first time i did it, i didn't ever want to do it again. talk about sore. damn i couldn't move the next day. when i went to the gym i just sat in the cold and hot tubs for about an hour...

Ozey74
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Looks like his level of play decreased when he stopped these training methods. I'm all for this!!

Now, if he can just stopped being used on kamikazi missions, I'll be even more satisfied.

AngryAsian
06-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Looks like his level of play decreased when he stopped these training methods. I'm all for this!!

Now, if he can just stopped being used on kamikazi missions, I'll be even more satisfied.

Kamikazi is the crux of Troy's intensity and style of play. The guy knows no other way of playing, which has been his primary nemesis while trying to get back from injury. He's either aggravated the previous injury or created a new one due to compensation. I don't see him changing the core player that he is, this is why his shelf life will more than likely be limited because of the killer instincts that he possesses.

Ozey74
06-26-2008, 07:33 AM

Kamikazi is the crux of Troy's intensity and style of play. The guy knows no other way of playing, which has been his primary nemesis while trying to get back from injury. He's either aggravated the previous injury or created a new one due to compensation. I don't see him changing the core player that he is, this is why his shelf life will more than likely be limited because of the killer instincts that he possesses.

I think if he can limit going against 300+ lb offensive limeman, his play & health can benefit. I would much rather he throw his body full force into a member of the offense whose # isn't in the 60's or 70's.

Shawn
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Children need a certain amount of structure...but they also need to learn from an early age how to handle freedom. If you bind and constantly dictate to children...they miss out on the lessons that poor decisions bring. You want them to make the mistakes while you can still catch them...keep them from falling too hard. I have seen this scenerio time and time again. Overly protective, controlling parents producing adult children making horrific personal choices...once given a bit of freedom. It's sad.

BIG FAN
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM

Children need a certain amount of structure...but they also need to learn from an early age how to handle freedom. If you bind and constantly dictate to children...they miss out on the lessons that poor decisions bring. You want them to make the mistakes while you can still catch them...keep them from falling too hard. I have seen this scenerio time and time again. Overly protective, controlling parents producing adult children making horrific personal choices...once given a bit of freedom. It's sad.

Well spoken.
I could not agree more.

As far as #43, I'm impressed, I think he comes back in a big way this year.
Would sorely like to see him smacking someone across the middle for a ff, or maybe even jumping a couple of routes for more picks, rather than playing auxiliary lb.