PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Alright, the football/Steeler news is slow... Very slow right now. ... So I've found myself analyzing and dissecting our upcoming schedule. Many issues are obvious, and some are just opinions... But there's not much else to dissect at the present time. Yes, I know... It's hard to say about how well various teams will perform once the season starts, but everyone must have some pre-conceived notions about what we will be faced with... At least have some observations or comments.

So what are YOUR thoughts, comments, or opinions about our schedule, or the rest of the division for that matter? Let's hear 'em!..... :wink:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3360/2008schedule88388od1.jpg

Baltimore Ravens:
9/7 ...CINCINNATI ...1:00
9/14 ...at Houston ...4:15
9/21 ...CLEVELAND ...4:15
9/29 ...at Pittsburgh ...8:30
10/5 ...TENNESSEE ...1:00
10/12 ...at Indianapolis ...1:00
10/19 ...at Miami ...1:00
10/26 ...OAKLAND ...1:00
11/2 ...at Cleveland ...1:00
11/9 ...BYE WEEK
11/16 ...at N.Y. Giants ...1:00
11/23 ...PHILADLEPHIA ...1:00
11/30 ...at Cincinnati ...1:00
12/7 ...WASHINGTON ...1:00
12/14 ...PITTSBURGH ...1:00
12/20 ...at Dallas ...8:15
12/28 ...JACKSONVILLE ...1:00

Cincinnati Bengals:
9/7 ...at Baltimore ...1:00
9/14 ...TENNESSEE ...1:00
9/21 ...at N.Y. Giants ...1:00
9/28 ...CLEVELAND ...1:00
10/5 ...at Dallas ...4:15
10/12 ...at N.Y. Jets ...1:00
10/19 ...PITTSBURGH ...1:00
10/26 ...BYE WEEK
11/2 ...JACKSONVILLE ...1:00
11/9 ...at Houston ...1:00
11/16 ...PHILADELPHIA ...1:00
11/20 ...at Pittsburgh ...8:15
11/30 ...BALTIMORE ...1:00
12/7 ...at Indianapolis ...1:00
12/14 ...WASHINGTON ...1:00
12/21 ...at Cleveland ...1:00
12/28 ...KANSAS CITY ...1:00

Cleveland Browns:
9/7 ...DALLAS ...4:15
9/14 ...PITTSBURGH ...8:15
9/21 ...at Baltimore ...4:15
9/29 ...at Cincinnati ...1:00
10/5 ...BYE WEEK
10/13 ...N.Y. GIANTS ...8:30
10/19 ...at Washington ...4:15
10/26 ...at Jacksonville ...4:05
11/2 ...BALTIMORE ...1:00
11/6 ...DENVER ...8:15
11/17 ...at Buffalo ...8:30
11/23 ...HOUSTON ...1:00
11/30 ...INDIANAPOLIS ...1:00
12/7 ...at Tennessee ...1:00
12/15 ...at Philadelphia ...8:30
12/21 ...CINCINNATI ...1:00
12/28 ...at Pittsburgh ...1:00

-We only have five 1pm games, and three of them are subject to "flex scheduling".

-The Steelers will honor the memory of Myron Cope before the home opener on Sept 7th.

-The Browns schedule features the same opponents as ours with two exceptions... Cleveland plays Buffalo instead of New England, and Denver instead of San Diego.

-The only two teams on the '08 schedule that had losing records last season were division opponents Baltimore and Cincinnati.

-Eight of our games are against teams that made the playoffs last season.

-We will face 4 of the top 5 passers in '07.

-The two most recent Super Bowl champions are on the schedule.

-Five prime-time games: 2 on Sundays, 2 on Mondays, and 1 on Thursday.

-Only one national telecast during pre-season... Tough for anyone outside of the 'Burgh.

-I see our month of December being quite brutal, just as it was last season.

-November is a close second in "brutality" level.

-Cincinnati could very well be 1-5 or 0-6 when we first see them in October... :twisted:

-Many more 1pm games for our divisional foes (I love 1pm games). But winning teams end up playing in prime-time, so it goes with the territory.

-I can see us starting another losing streak for Baltimore when we face them in December, thus ending thier season on a sour note.

-With a tough schedule, I do NOT rule out any of our divisional opponents to remain in the running throughout the season.

-Many "high-profile" players will set foot on Heinz Field this year: Eli Manning, Plaxico Burress, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeny, LaDanian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman, Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, and DeMarcus Ware.

-The final game is against Cleveland, and it just might decide the division winner.

-We have three games this season the day following a Pitt Panther home game. Hou Sept 7th, Giants Oct 26th, Indy Nov 9th.... Not sure about the WPIAL H.S. Playoff schedule... "Rain, rain, go away..."

Flasteel
06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Man, you have analyzed a few things! I think the schedule lays out perfect for us to be honest. Consider...

We get the softest part of our schedule right out of the gates while we start to gel and develop an identity.

By the time we wrap up the season we're going to know exactly who we are and this team will be battle-tested like no other in the league.

There are no games which are to be played west of Tennessee, which given our track record in years past is a serious blessing. I find it ironic that we only have five 1PM games considering this and I'm with you in hating those 4 O'clock starts...I always wind up passed out at 8 from all of the beer consumption.

Everyone in the division has roughly the same schedule. As long as we take care of business against the Rats, Stains, and Bungles, I see no reason why we wouldn't repeat as AFC North champs and we all know once the playoffs begin, anything can happen.

Lastly, the NFL is so unpredictable that it's difficult to tell just how good teams are going to be from one year to the next. When it's all said and done this schedule could wind up being far less brutal than anyone anticipated. There's not a team on that schedule that anyone can say is definitively more talented than the Black-n-Gold, to include the Pasteriks. We have a top-three quarterback and more offensive weaponry than any other team in the league. If the number one defense from '07 shows up to the party I think we all have a very good chance of celebrating a sixth Lombardi. Who knows how it'll all unfold, but there is no doubt that the potential is there to make a run.

Mr Smartmonies
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I sometimes worry more about games against titans, Ravens , and Jags. Then i do against the More Marquee teams. For me its about how well the Steelers match up physically. No question the skill players are in abundance.

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Man, you have analyzed a few things! I think the schedule lays out perfect for us to be honest. Consider...

We get the softest part of our schedule right out of the gates while we start to gel and develop an identity.

By the time we wrap up the season we're going to know exactly who we are and this team will be battle-tested like no other in the league.

There are no games which are to be played west of Tennessee, which given our track record in years past is a serious blessing. I find it ironic that we only have five 1PM games considering this and I'm with you in hating those 4 O'clock starts...I always wind up passed out at 8 from all of the beer consumption.

Everyone in the division has roughly the same schedule. As long as we take care of business against the Rats, Stains, and Bungles, I see no reason why we wouldn't repeat as AFC North champs and we all know once the playoffs begin, anything can happen.

Lastly, the NFL is so unpredictable that it's difficult to tell just how good teams are going to be from one year to the next. When it's all said and done this schedule could wind up being far less brutal than anyone anticipated. There's not a team on that schedule that anyone can say is definitively more talented than the Black-n-Gold, to include the Pasteriks. We have a top-three quarterback and more offensive weaponry than any other team in the league. If the number one defense from '07 shows up to the party I think we all have a very good chance of celebrating a sixth Lombardi. Who knows how it'll all unfold, but there is no doubt that the potential is there to make a run.

I'm not sure if the schedule lays out "perfectly" in my opinion Fla, but I do welcome a challenge, and am not complaining at all about it in any way... As far as being "battle-tested", that is what scares me the most to be honest with you... We were in the same position going down the stretch last season and laid an egg. Injuries will be critical in this situation once again.

...I never noticed the "west of Tenn" issue... GOOD ONE!!!.... As you said, we do not seem to do well on the west coast... While our two first 1pm games (Hou, Cin) are gonna be set, our last three games of the season are 1pm and are subject to the flex... (Balt, Tenn, Cle)... I doubt the Balt game would change. But possibly the Tenn and more probably the Cle game would be flexed... Leaving us with only 3 or 4 1pm games...

Personally, I think only Cleveland has a schedule like ours.... Baltimore and Cincy seem to be much easier pairings, but that's just me... But you are absolutely right. Anything can, and probably will happen. Teams and circumstances change, so it will invariably change the outlook of our schedule.

My point is nothing more than analyzing the schedule and pointing out any and all factoids and trivia about it, so please add more to the list... Man, I am SO bored at this point of the off-season... I will once again say that I think our December is gonna be rough, and November runs a close second, IMO....

sd steel
06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
You have to beat the best to be the best.

I normally love the 1PM (10AM PST), games, but this year with winter league baseball and travel ball for the young one on Sundays, it means I won't have to miss many of his games. :oops:

In reality I will probably using the DVR for the first time.

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I sometimes worry more about games against titans, Ravens , and Jags. Then i do against the More Marquee teams. For me its about how well the Steelers match up physically. No question the skill players are in abundance.

Baltimore is always a good game IMO... Throw the records out in this matchup... It's always physical!

Tenn, and Jax are probably gonna be good again this season as well... Another issue to look at as we go thru the season is "wins against common opponents". These two will be of utmost importance I think.

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
You have to beat the best to be the best.

I normally love the 1PM (10AM PST), games, but this year with winter league baseball and travel ball for the young one on Sundays, it means I won't have to miss many of his games. :oops:

In reality I will probably using the DVR for the first time.

Yes, we gotta beat the best. In reality, we gotta beat everyone. And that's the way it should be...

...Good luck trying to avoid the scores (if you do it that way). For me, it's always been anticlimactic to view the games later, other than to see all the individual plays so as to be knowledgable enough to comment on the game after the fact...

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
...At least they balanced out our Monday night "follow-ups"... First one, at home against Baltimore then on the road at Jax (same time zone)... Second one, at Washington then home against Indy..... I can recall playing a Monday night game then going cross-country for a Sunday game more than once, I think...

...Every game in November will be "under the lights" and in darkness due to the time change in the fall...

...Both games on either side of the bye week are on the road, so no extra time at home.

...Only two games on FOX, NBC, and ESPN each...

...With the exception of New England, all the "marque" teams will be faced at home (Giants, Indy, San Diego, Dallas).

...Final game against Cleveland will also be at home (again, I really think this one could be the deciding factor for the division, so I'm glad it's at home).

Flasteel
06-20-2008, 11:16 PM

I'm not sure if the schedule lays out "perfectly" in my opinion Fla, but I do welcome a challenge, and am not complaining at all about it in any way... As far as being "battle-tested", that is what scares me the most to be honest with you... We were in the same position going down the stretch last season and laid an egg. Injuries will be critical in this situation once again.

...I never noticed the "west of Tenn" issue... GOOD ONE!!!.... As you said, we do not seem to do well on the west coast... While our two first 1pm games (Hou, Cin) are gonna be set, our last three games of the season are 1pm and are subject to the flex... (Balt, Tenn, Cle)... I doubt the Balt game would change. But possibly the Tenn and more probably the Cle game would be flexed... Leaving us with only 3 or 4 1pm games...

Personally, I think only Cleveland has a schedule like ours.... Baltimore and Cincy seem to be much easier pairings, but that's just me... But you are absolutely right. Anything can, and probably will happen. Teams and circumstances change, so it will invariably change the outlook of our schedule.

My point is nothing more than analyzing the schedule and pointing out any and all factoids and trivia about it, so please add more to the list... Man, I am SO bored at this point of the off-season... I will once again say that I think our December is gonna be rough, and November runs a close second, IMO....

I'm not sure if I could uncover anymore meaningful minutia about our schedule if I tried. As far as that stretch run last year, I think it was a combination of injuries (as you alluded), the fact that we were in the first year with a new staff, and the holes we had in both lines. Obviously the offensive line was a huge problem and because we couldn't pound the rock between the tackles it robbed us of the ability to control the clock and keep the defense fresh. I really believe that is going to be an improved area for the team next season (or do we now refer to it as this season?) as well as our pass rush, which I see really taking off.

While I whole-heartedly agree with SD's sentiment about having to beat the best to be the best, no team has ever won a championship in this league by beating anyone in the regular season. That said, when you get the chance to see all of the possible contenders you'll face in the playoff race, you get a chance to see how they adjust to what you're doing and how they approach down and distance scenarios vs. your players. Look at the Colts' game in '05 for example. We got pretty much thrashed in that game, but what we took away from it was invaluable in defeating them in the playoffs. I don't believe there's any way we beat them without that first game under our belts.

Win or lose, these games are going to be critical for our post-season success and all we need to do is wind up with more wins than those punk-ass teams in our own division. Cincy & Crackmore may have a slightly easier route but they have significantly worse teams to try to get there with. Cleveland has way too many problems on defense in my opinion, so it all comes back to what you said about injuries. If we stay healthy, we'll be in the mix at the end and that schedule is going to prove to be a key factor in our success either way.

papillon
06-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm of the mindset that regardless of the schedule you play that if you're a bad team you'll probably only win 0-6 games; if you're an average team you'll win 7-9 games, if you're a good team you'll win 10-13 games and if you're an elite team you can win 14-16 games.

If the Steelers are a good team they will win between 10 and 13 games regardless of the schedule, otherwise they aren't a good team and some other number comes into play.

Pappy

Ozey74
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
On a personal note, I like the schedule because there will be ALOT of games on national TV. Thanks to so many 4pm starts and the not many schedule conflicts with the Colts, there are only 5 games all year that will not be televised in my area (I think). Therefore, I will not have to go out to a sportsbar and watch the game & I can save $30. And, I will be at one of these game that wont be televised (Cincy) in my area so that means I only have to go out to a bar 4 times all year!!

I don't understand when people complain out how hard our schedule is & how easy the Pats schedule is. The schedule is made out about 3 years in advance, except the 2 opponents that are determined by record of the previous year. It's just how things work out. In 3 years, the Steelers may have the easiest schedule & the Pats may have the hardest schedule. There is no way of knowing that now!!

Bottom line, I think, is this: Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!! This is very do-able.

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!!

Agreed with all you said.... And looking forward to hoisting a brew together come October...

...But I DO think that "games against common opponents" may very well be a factor...

Ozey74
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!!

Agreed with all you said.... And looking forward to hoisting a brew together come October...

...But I DO think that "games against common opponents" may very well be a factor...

Looking forward to it as well!!! I've spoken with my crew & they are on board for a trip to Longworth Hall.

I hope the season doesn't come down to record against common opponents, but your right -it may. We just have to finish 1 game ahead of whoever is in second place. I think it's damn near safe to say that the Wildcard will not be comming out of the AFC North.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2008, 12:00 AM
-The Browns schedule features the same opponents as ours with two exceptions... Cleveland plays Buffalo instead of New England, and Denver instead of San Diego.

Let's say, for example, that Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same record against our common opponents. We both have to play Indy, Jax, Tenn, Hou, Dal, NYG, Wash, and Phil once each and Cincy and Balt twice each. I think we will win more games against these common opponents than Cleveland, but lets just say that hypothetically, it turns out to be the same record in these 12 common games.

Let's say facing a first place schedule bites us in the butt and we lose to NE and SD, while Cleveland takes advantage of their second place schedule, beating Buff and Den. That puts the Browns two games up on us to this point. Uh oh.

Not so fast! Even with these worst case scenarios in effect, the division is still ours if we sweep the Brownies and their sorry-@$$ defense like we have 6 out of the past 7 seasons (winning 15 out of 16 times during that stretch, including the only game in the playoffs). The situation would be exactly the same as last year. We'd have the same record, but we would win the division on the basis of having swept them. It's that simple.

Now I don't think it will come down to that. I think we can take the division with a couple of game cushion even if we split with Cleveland (I see Cleveland as a 7-9 team...maybe 8-8 at best...with the fact that they will not be sneaking up on anyone this year, other teams have tape on D. Anderson now, their marquee d-line pickup have never played the 3-4 before, and they have jack squat in the secondary when they need to play in nickel and dime packages).

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Even with these worst case scenarios in effect, the division is still ours if we sweep the Brownies and their sorry-@$$ defense like we have 6 out of the past 7 seasons (winning 15 out of 16 times during that stretch, including the only game in the playoffs). The situation would be exactly the same as last year. We'd have the same record, but we would win the division on the basis of having swept them. It's that simple.

I like that line of thinking!.... :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
06-21-2008, 08:54 AM
This schedule is tough. According to last year's finishes it is the toughest in the league.
There is atleast one other factor that I can think of that has an impact on wins and losses. Injuries will play a huge impact on who wins the AFC North. Those injuries can happen within the division or too the teams faced. When those injuries happen could determine what games are won and loss. Injuries are going to happen. Just a matter of when. I am sure most of you know this but I do not think it was brought up. I think being battle tested in the regular season means very little for the playoffs. It might be more important to get hot or peak at the right time. Along with not having any key injuries.

Oviedo
06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Everyone in the Division has a tough schedule because of the designated Division play this year. All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.

The key is winning the AFC North decisively which means 5-1 or 4-2. If we do that then we only have to be 6-4 against the remaining schedule which this team can do. The key will be to build up wins early and stay healthy for a tough November/December schedule.

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 11:30 AM
All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.

Yes... But not the same teams elsewhere. Look at the difference between our schedule and Clevelands'... We play New England and they play Buffalo from the AFC East. There is also a difference in the AFC West teams that we face... We play San Diego, and they play Denver. Not too much of a difference with that one. So yes, common opponents are possibly in the bag with the two divisions you mentioned.

Yea, it's a tough schedule. But we will undoubtably have bragging rights once we end up on top...

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.

Yes... But not the same teams elsewhere. Look at the difference between our schedule and Clevelands'... We play New England and they play Buffalo from the AFC East. There is also a difference in the AFC West teams that we face... We play San Diego, and they play Denver. Not too much of a difference with that one. So yes, common opponents are possibly in the bag with the two divisions you mentioned.

Yea, it's a tough schedule. But we will undoubtably have bragging rights once we end up on top...

Undoubtedly our two game 1st place schedule against the AFC East & West (New England and San Diego) looks tougher than Cleveland's (Buffalo and Denver), Cincinnati's (New York Jets and Kansas City) and Baltimore's (Miami and Oakland), but keep in mind that each of our division rivals have to face the mighty Steelers twice, so they also have two more games against an '07 division champion (AFC North) as well.
:tt2 :Steel :tt1

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
but keep in mind that each of our division rivals have to face the mighty Steelers twice, so they also have two more games against an '07 division champion (AFC North) as well.
:tt2 :Steel :tt1

VERY good point!!!.... :Clap