PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Cancelled Shows

Shawn
06-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Have you ever gotten really into a TV show when the rug is pulled out and it gets
cancelled? And you are like wha? Name your top underrated shows that got the rug pulled prematurely.

1) "V"...crazy alien show that had them fine dining on humans. I absolutely loved this show as a kid.

2) Family Guy...yanked very early...then found popularity with the college scene then syndicated. I believe it found its greatest popularity long after it was cancelled.

3) Freaks and Geeks: Terrific HS show that had it all....drugs, sex, and rock and roll. Great show. :)

4) Dark Angel: Jessica Alba...need I say more?

whats yours?

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I think "The Unit" was cancelled this season (with Dennis Hayesbert)... I really liked that show.

"SportsNight" was also a favorite... (a copoff of ESPNs' sportscenter)

...Isn't Family Guy currently running on Sunday nights on Fox along with thier other cartoons?...

RuthlessBurgher
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
"Arrested Development" was a great show and I know there was a lot of hubbub by devoted followers when that wasn't renewed. I got into it on DVD after it was already cancelled though.

Of course, the sudden loss of "Chappelle's Show" at the top of its game was the one that left me most disappointed, even though it was Dave that pulled the plug himself instead of Comedy Central.

proudpittsburgher
06-20-2008, 12:28 PM
You know, I had a couple that were cancelled after last season that I was really bummed out about. Namely Carpoolers, Big Shots and Notes from the Underbelly. Stupid comedies are a big hit with me. I'm still really bummed knowing this will be the last season for The Shield. I know it isn't as good as it has been, and it really isn't getting cancelled, they are just quitting, but I was there from episode 1, and I feel like it's a part of the family.

Shawn
06-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I think "The Unit" was cancelled this season (with Dennis Hayesbert)... I really liked that show.

...Isn't Family Guy currently running on Sunday nights on Fox along with thier other cartoons?...

I know they show it...not sure if they are new. What I know about Family Guy is it was cancelled. Awhile later it became a college dorm hit....I believe via DVD. Then it either got picked up again or syndicated. Maybe someone here knows the exact history. Either way...terrific show.

stlrz d
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
ESPN's Playmakers (http://espn.go.com/eoe/playmakers/)

CBS' Love Monkey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457046/?c=1)

Jigawatts
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM

I know they show it...not sure if they are new. What I know about Family Guy is it was cancelled. Awhile later it became a college dorm hit....I believe via DVD. Then it either got picked up again or syndicated. Maybe someone here knows the exact history. Either way...terrific show.

Couldn't tell you the exact history without looking it up, but I know it was canceled
at least once, then syndicated on the cartoon networks adult swim. I believe at
that time it was one of the highest rated syndicated shows. It got picked up again
and might have even been canceled one more time before Fox decided to pick it up
once more. Yes, new episodes do appear on Sunday nights.

Uncle Rico
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Dog the Bounty Hunter, no doubt. That cancellation was just plain WRONG!!!!!!!

MeetJoeGreene
06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I always like Wiseguy. (about a deep undercover dude).

Shawn
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Didn't it get cancelled because Dog got arrested or something?

NKySteeler
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Yes, he was.... But I think it was in Mexico or someplace...
...Not to mention that his son (an assistant BH, or whatever they're called) was popped for drug use/posession.

Uncle Rico
06-20-2008, 06:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFK0lOcbok

Actually, it was this racist rant by Dog that got his show pulled by A&E. It was kind of like what happened with Don Imus and his show.

Les 74
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I absolutely positively HATE Family Guy.South Park puts that show to shame.

Some of my old faves:

1.Beavis and Butthead-still pissed that this show isn't on anymore.

2.Wings

3.Cavemen-stupid,but funny.

4.Justice League Unlimited-very well made cartoon.

5.Firefly

Ozey74
06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone recall Supergroup from VH1 a fews ago? That show only lasted 1 season. That was good TV!!

There are plenty of washed up rockers to make a few more seasons!!

mshifko
06-23-2008, 04:35 PM
not sure if it's been cancelled officially yet, but a underrated show is friday night lights...

family guy is still showing new episodes sunday nights along with the simpsons/american dad

stlrz d
06-23-2008, 07:50 PM
not sure if it's been cancelled officially yet, but a underrated show is friday night lights...

family guy is still showing new episodes sunday nights along with the simpsons/american dad

I think it has.

calmkiller
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Family Guy was canceled once in 2000, and again in 2002, but strong DVD sales and the large viewership of reruns on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim convinced Fox to resume the show in 2005. It is the first canceled show to be resurrected based on DVD sales and the only one to be resurrected twice on that basis.

When they came back to Fox in 05 I watched the first show and Peter names....I think it was 90 shows that Fox had picked up and canceled since they pulled the plug on Family Guy. Lois says something to Peter "I thought we were canceled and Peter says we were but then he rants about the 90 some shows that got canned after Family got was Canceled and he says we are better that all those so we are back. Or something to that effect.

frankthetank1
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Some of my old faves:

2.Wings

5.Firefly

i agree with you les south park is so much better than family guy. i loved the south park episode that made fun of family guy, that was hillarious.

Les 74
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Some of my old faves:

2.Wings

5.Firefly

i agree with you les south park is so much better than family guy. i loved the south park episode that made fun of family guy, that was hillarious.

Indeed,it was!!! :lol:

eniparadoxgma
06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Futurama

Iron Shiek
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I think Friday Night Lights got picked up in some weird deal where they are showing a portion of it on NBC and some of it on USA or something like that. The cult following was overwhelming enough for them to do some funky deal that kept it alive.

SMG: V, the Final Battle. That was the $hit! My favorite part of any episode was when they would peel their faces off and reveal their inner lizard. And the blaster sound effects were stellar, I can hear it now in my head.

Nky: I am not so sure that the Unit got cancelled. I just think the writer strike affected it so bad that they just canned it for the year, like 24 (although Jack Bauer's incarceration had something to do with that too). I really like the Unit too, couldn't beleive they killed off the one guy.

Ozey74
07-20-2008, 01:59 PM
"WKRP in Cincinnati"

How could a show that is so good be based in a town that is so bad?

:bungalssuck

Jom112
07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Knee High PI - A show about a midget detective. How that got cancelled I have no clue.

The Man Show - Although once Jimmy Kimmel left it did go downhill.

BIG FAN
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Knee High PI - A show about a midget detective. How that got cancelled I have no clue.

The Man Show - Although once Jimmy Kimmel left it did go downhill.

I think I overlooked Knee High PI.