PDA

View Full Version : Are you addicted to Steelers football?

Mr Smartmonies
06-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I have to say that what separates me from many fans is that I truly have a sick passion. addiction for
sports. Its been that way all my life. And that passion begins with the Steelers. Here is my checklist.
See how bad your addiction is.

you know your sick when

1) It's monday Morning after a sunday loss, and you have a sick feeling in your stomach and you want nothing to do with any sports media ,be it radio, TV, or newspapers that will be discussing the previous game. You can't stomach to listen to it.

2) Its now Wednesday and your over the loss (somewhat) but now you ready to B it ch about it.

3) Its a typical work day. but you just can't get the Steelers salary cap ramifications out of your mind

4) It's only the middle of June but your already concerned about a tough 3 game stretch in November that could make or Break the steelers season.

5) It's been 3 years, but you still can't get over the loss of one of your favorite players who left via free agency.

6) Your team just drafted a player and you have already placed him into the pro football hall of fame even though he has yet to play a down.

7) You replayed all the Patriots / steelers game over and over in your mind, trying to pin point all the times the Steelers may have been screwed.

8 ) 3 weeks after Hines Ward went off with his comments about Ben needing a new receiver, you still can't quit thinking about them.

9) Steelers draft WR Limas Sweed and the 1st thing you thought about is Hines Ward.

10) When the Steelers lose you seem to take it personal.

11) when you sit down to watch a steeler game, you have no ability to be bothered by others. You sometimes close the door to all outsiders just so you can get locked into the game.

12) You forgot to put your Steeler memorabilia piece on the TV set before start of game, and you now feel partially responsible for the loss.

13) You cringe when you hear about a steeler getting arrested. You either immediately become part of his defense team or feel ultimately embarrassed about something you had nothing to do with.

14) Your engaged in a discussion with another Steeler fan about what's wrong with the team. But a fan from another team tries to pour salt on the wound, a you quickly ask him how many SB rings does his team have.

15) You hear rumors of an uncapped year in 2010 and a picture of the Pirates comes dancing in your head.

SCALE (HOW MANY ABOVE APPLY TO YOU?)

6 OR LESS = BELOW AVERAGE FAN

7-9 = AVERAGE FAN

10-11 = AVID FAN

12-13 = DIE HARD

14-15 = one sick Bastard

steelz09
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Does creating this site categorize me as a Steelers addict?

:) :)

Mr Smartmonies
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Does creating this site categorize me as a Steelers addict?

:) :)

I would think so.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Here's my checklist:

1. You are checking a Steeler message board on a regular basis in the middle of June, with the OTA's complete, training camp more than a month away, and draft almost 2 months old. There is no new news to be had, but we still check in and post anyway.

0 = Not an addict
1 = A true addict

I think we all qualify as addicts here. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

Mr Smartmonies
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Here's my checklist:

1. You are checking a Steeler message board on a regular basis in the middle of June, with the OTA's complete, training camp more than a month away, and draft almost 2 months old. There is no new news to be had, but we still check in and post anyway.

0 = Not an addict
1 = A true addict

:D :D

Ozey74
06-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Good list MSM. They all apply to me EXCEPT 3, 5, & 7. :tt2

Shawn
06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Here's my checklist:

0 = Not an addict
1 = A true addict

Gotta agree...anyone reading and responding on this message board mid summer has an illness.

NKySteeler
06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Gotta agree...anyone reading and responding on this message board mid summer has an illness.

Are you saying that we all are mentally "unbalanced".... :lol:
... Can Dr. Shawn prescribe a remedy for this Steeler illness duning mid-June?...

I gotta admit that this one made me laugh out loud...

7) You replayed all the Patriots / steelers game over and over in your mind, trying to pin point all the times the Steelers may have been screwed.
...I think it was this past Monday evening, and NFLN was re-airing our loss to the Pats* from last season, and I was thinking just that!

Msm, I too view myself as an addict...
...My fiance asks me if I saw the evening news, I say "no, but I did catch Sportscenter."
...My dad asks me if I saw a certain movie, I say "no, but I did see the 2004 Mich v OSU game on classic."
...My friend asks if I want to go to a Bengals game, I say "no, I'd rather watch the Steelers on tv."
...My sister asks what I did last night. I say "posted on the Steeler board."

Mr Smartmonies
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Are you saying that we all are mentally "unbalanced".... :lol:
... Can Dr. Shawn prescribe a remedy for this Steeler illness duning mid-June?...

I gotta admit that this one made me laugh out loud...

...I think it was this past Monday evening, and NFLN was re-airing our loss to the Pats* from last season, and I was thinking just that!

Msm, I too view myself as an addict...
...My fiance asks me if I saw the evening news, I say "no, but I did catch Sportscenter."
...My dad asks me if I saw a certain movie, I say "no, but I did see the 2004 Mich v OSU game on classic."
...My friend asks if I want to go to a Bengals game, I say "no, I'd rather watch the Steelers on tv."
...My sister asks what I did last night. I say "posted on the Steeler board."

yep, you got issues.

AngryAsian
06-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I too have the affliction and can attest to exhibiting most of the symptoms you noted, MSM. I have some other symptoms as well:

1) Writing down a list of comebacks and insults to the opposing fans I'll be dealing with when I walk in with my latest Steeler Jersey (James Harrison).... in hopes to deflect some of the "anger management, girl friend beating" comments.

2) Wearing Steeler gear in the off-season at work.... because its F*ckin' cool!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/ckteamsetpiblarge.jpg

3) Scheduling yourself every Friday and Saturday night during the preseason, regular season and post season, to insure you have Sunday and Mondays off for Steeler games..... regardless of what the wife says.

4) Being 41 and getting in such a heated argument (at work) with a Patriot fan (twice your size) over their crappy cheating team, and getting him so riled up that threats of violence (on his part) were issued, overheard by a manager and was subsequently asked if I wanted to formally do something about (this guy has had previous issues and one more incident would of gotten him a pink slip).... I opted to send him to anger management. :lol:

5) Spending way too much time on this board during the offseason and then subsequently calling and talking about the Steelers and this board to other board members.

6) Designing my next Tattoo in Adobe Illustrator.... of course a Steeler theme.

7) So engrossed during the Steeler games, I leave my bathroom door open to watch my LCD in my bedroom, while simultaneously post on a Steeler message board with some of my other Steeler sickos.

8) Getting in argument with the Mrs. because she tried to take the noted item below out of my daughter's bed to put away in storage.

http://www.myhometownlinks.com/insidetheattic/steelersbear2.gif

9) After a loss, I'm so physically ill, I've actually had to go to an ER doc at work to prescribe me something for nausea.

10) Carry a Terrible towel in my car, in my locker at work and on my golf bag.

11) Arranged with tech head friend of mine to disassemble my new Black Macbook so that when you open it up, the apple on the outside that normally glows white, will glow gold. 8)

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/macbook_pro_black.jpg

More to come.....

SteelerOfDeVille
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Here's my checklist:

0 = Not an addict
1 = A true addict

Agreed, but, I'm still more addicted to TnA. :Boobs

NKySteeler
06-19-2008, 06:03 PM
7) So engrossed during the Steeler games, I leave my bathroom door open to watch my LCD in my bedroom, while simultaneously post on a Steeler message board with some of my other Steeler sickos.

AS, I think I'm gonna have nightmares over this one.... Picturing you sitting on the crapper, typing on the notebook, with one eye on the tv and the other on the computer screen.... The only thing missing would be a gold twinkie in one hand, and an Iron City on the vanity counter....
:shock:

Uncle Rico
06-19-2008, 08:03 PM
How many of you knew that today was Rashad Mendenhall's 21st birthday? Well, I did and I actually find it rather disturbing that I remembered such a trivial fact about some Steelers rookie.

NKySteeler
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
How many of you knew that today was Rashad Mendenhall's 21st birthday? Well, I did and I actually find it rather disturbing that I remembered such a trivial fact about some Steelers rookie.

You are truly a sick, sick individual Nlp.... Please call Doctor Shawn for the appropriate remedy for your ailment..... :P

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2008, 09:06 PM

You are truly a sick, sick individual Nlp.... Please call Doctor Shawn for the appropriate remedy for your ailment..... :P

I've got Steelers Fever, and the only prescription is...

http://luxton.blogware.com/0707/cowbellmore.jpg

[youtube:3a3q0m06]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvqB0uwLj0k&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvqB0uwLj0k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:3a3q0m06]

Shawn
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Even modern medicine has it's limits. What do you want from me...miracles???

:lol:

AngryAsian
06-20-2008, 03:40 AM

AS, I think I'm gonna have nightmares over this one.... Picturing you sitting on the crapper, typing on the notebook, with one eye on the tv and the other on the computer screen.... The only thing missing would be a gold twinkie in one hand, and an Iron City on the vanity counter....
:shock:

No food in the JON... but its the only place in the house that I'm assured that my wife will leave me alone.

BIG FAN
06-20-2008, 04:06 AM
You travel to be with others who Love the Steelers as much as you.
Esprcially for the away games.

AngryAsian
06-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Esprcially for the away games.

Word, brother. Only live Steeler Games I've ever seen have been away games. I'll make the pilgrimage one day.

BIG FAN
06-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Especially for the away games.

Word, brother. Only live Steeler Games I've ever seen have been away games. I'll make the pilgrimage one day.

Who ride? :lol:

Shawn
06-20-2008, 07:15 AM
We ride! :)

papillon
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Does listening to a Monday Night Football broadcast while leaving Pittsburgh and getting road head count? :Boobs :Cheers

Pappy

Ghost
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Yesterday I spent a decent amount of time surfing the web for this year's "new Steeler lid" (there are a lot of bad hats out there...). I noticed my others are really faded and/or falling apart. I was also shopping for Steelers baby cloths for my sister who's due at the end of summer and a Steelers flag to fly at my new house. Things that must be done prior to the season!!

Shawn
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Does listening to a Monday Night Football broadcast while leaving Pittsburgh and getting road head count? :Boobs :Cheers

Pappy

Pappy tuggin your own cord in the car doesn't equal road head. :lol:

Jigawatts
06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Pappy

Indiana State Police arrested a Chicago man Wednesday afternoon after he was found driving completely nude and masturbating on the Indiana Toll Road.

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/0 ... 132697.txt (http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/08/30/updates/breaking_news/doc46d6db2f5580a989132697.txt)

Police were called about the man driving eastbound around 1:30 p.m. Trooper Al Martinez stopped a green 1994 Toyota at the 1.47 mile marker about three miles east of the Angola exit in Steuben County.

The driver identified as Sean P. McCormick, 37 of Chicago was completely nude with petroleum jelly on his hands. When asked why he was traveling like that, McCormick said he felt comfortable driving in the nude and was on his way to Ohio to visit his mother.

McCormick was arrested for indecent exposure and taken to Steuben County Jail.

Pappy??? :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Pappy

Indiana State Police arrested a Chicago man Wednesday afternoon after he was found driving completely nude and masturbating on the Indiana Toll Road.

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/0 ... 132697.txt (http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/08/30/updates/breaking_news/doc46d6db2f5580a989132697.txt)

Police were called about the man driving eastbound around 1:30 p.m. Trooper Al Martinez stopped a green 1994 Toyota at the 1.47 mile marker about three miles east of the Angola exit in Steuben County.

The driver identified as Sean P. McCormick, 37 of Chicago was completely nude with petroleum jelly on his hands. When asked why he was traveling like that, McCormick said he felt comfortable driving in the nude and was on his way to Ohio to visit his mother.

No, it's probably just another member of the Detroit Lions coaching staff. :shock: :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
You don't even bother to ask your hubby if he's okay with you, yet again,
driving nine hours by yourself to get to training camp each year just so you
can commune with hundreds of other Steeler fans from all over
the country just milling about the local shops and restaraunts,
picking up the latest "2008" Steeler gear and searching for a glimpse
of any 6'+ 250 lb.+ guys because you just know they'll be Steeler
players out in Walmart picking up toothpaste! That's how I met Peezy,
Verryon Haynes and Jason Gildon one year!

(Actually, last year, my Steeler sister and I went to a small little bar
just down from Sharkey's and Ben was sitting across the bar in a booth
with what looked like some family friends or something. It was so cool
because, although EVERYONE knew he was there, no on acted like he was
anybody special. It was almost like the locals were so used to it and
all us visitors were just too "in awe" to do something as stupid as go up
and ask for an autograph. Happens all the time in Latrobe during
training camp! :wink: )

Jigawatts
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Pappy

No, it's probably just another member of the Detroit Lions coaching staff. :shock: :lol:

I guess they're not masters of their domains. :wink:

Scheduling vacations: I schedule my vacations around Steelers games. I'll take a
vacation during a bye week or a Monday night game to ensure that wherever I am the
game will be televised. Usually I like to go somewhere in the fall, but this year got very
messed up and I had to take one in August. Didn't realize it at the time, but I'll be missing the first two pre season games. :x :x

Does anyone know if they televise those on the Sunday Ticket?

Ozey74
06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
[Does anyone know if they televise those on the Sunday Ticket?[/quote]

I don't believe so, just the regular season

RuthlessBurgher
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
[Does anyone know if they televise those on the Sunday Ticket?

I don't believe so, just the regular season[/quote]

I think the NFL Network airs all of the pre-season games for every team eventually during the week they are played (but they can't air them all live since so many are occurring at the same time). So a pre-season game that took place on Friday or Saturday night may not be televised on NFL Network until, say Tuesday afternoon, or something like that.

papillon
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Pappy

Since when? :moon

Pappy

papillon
06-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Pappy

No, not me, I won't rub one off thinking about my mother. :tt2

Pappy

SteelerNation1
06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Just went running and thought about how addicted I am. I have to go to a birthday party, but I'll come back on and give my list.

Jigawatts
06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Just went running and thought about how addicted I am. I have to go to a birthday party, but I'll come back on and give my list.

"Richard, don't run away from you feelings."

http://38potatopancakes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/47770761_11348bba04.jpg

Jigawatts
06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
[Does anyone know if they televise those on the Sunday Ticket?

I don't believe so, just the regular season

I think the NFL Network airs all of the pre-season games for every team eventually during the week they are played (but they can't air them all live since so many are occurring at the same time). So a pre-season game that took place on Friday or Saturday night may not be televised on NFL Network until, say Tuesday afternoon, or something like that.[/quote]

Thanks for the input Oz and Ruthless. It looks like they broadcast on FSN Pittsburgh
as well as KDKA, so I'm hoping I can find a place that has the Direct TV sports pack,
then I might have a chance of seeing both games.

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm hoping I can find a place that has the Direct TV sports pack,

Sorry Jig, but the airing of Steeler games on FSN is subject to the blackout rules for folks like us outside of the area, just like the live press conferences on Tuesdays.... I have the sports pack. The games are listed. But they are blacked out...

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm hoping I can find a place that has the Direct TV sports pack,

Sorry Jig, but the airing of Steeler games on FSN is subject to the blackout rules for folks like us outside of the area, just like the live press conferences on Tuesdays.... I have the sports pack. The games are listed. But they are blacked out...

What exactly are those blackout rules? I know that there are blackout rules for games in a local market that do not sell out, but all Steeler games, preseason included, are sell outs, so why would games be blacked out outside of the Pittsburgh market but broadcast locally? Just wondering...

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
What exactly are those blackout rules? I know that there are blackout rules for games in a local market that do not sell out, but all Steeler games, preseason included, are sell outs, so why would games be blacked out outside of the Pittsburgh market but broadcast locally? Just wondering...

According to the folks at Directv, the league refuses to allow live broadcasts on those channels to people that don't get it (that channel) on thier local service. (I called to complain about it...) For example, the live broadcast of Tomlins' PC is blacked out, but I get to see the re-airing at 6:30 on FSN Pitt. And the pre-season games are blacked out because they are live also... Bad deal, but that's the way it is.

Just like in baseball, I can't see the Pirate or Pen games that are televised on FSN Pitt, but those within the market area can. Conversely, while I can get the Reds games here on FSN Ohio (like today, against the Yankees), you guys cannot...

Much of the time, live pro games on the sports pack are blacked out outside of the local markets... The only thing that I have noticed over past years that doesn't seem to be affected is college football.

fordfixer
06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
How about going to work with my wife just to check "Steeler news" (this site), because the internet is down at home? Does that mean I'm addicted?

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 07:12 PM
How about going to work with my wife just to check "Steeler news" (this site), because the internet is down at home? Does that mean I'm addicted?

...That would be a stretch for me ff, but congratulations, consider yourself "addicted"...

It may not count as "Steeler" football, but I love it all.... I'm finding myself watching the Big Ten Network at this moment... Alamo Bowl from last year: Penn St. v Texas A & M...