PDA

View Full Version : Steelers o-line ranked 24th

fordfixer
06-18-2008, 12:33 AM
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/footb ... id=3447747 (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3447747)

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
This is a unit that came under heavy scrutiny in 2007. Some of the problems were brought on by Ben Roethlisberger's penchant for holding the football an especially long time in an effort to make a play downfield, but the line certainly was not without its share of the blame. And with Alan Faneca now in New York, there isn't a Pro Bowl caliber player in this group. Still, Pittsburgh did add more firepower in the offseason, which could force more defenses to play coverage, which in turn would make the line's job easier in protection. The weakest link of the group last year, C Sean Mahan, probably will be replaced by the bigger and more physical Justin Hartwig, who is a better fit for this team. This is a king-sized offensive line, and it has the ability to move the line of scrimmage in its favor (the Steelers averaged 135 yards per game on the ground last season). There will be changes from last year, and the coaching staff is in its second season and accordingly can better assess what it has, but this certainly is not a group that is on par with the Steelers' O-lines of old. It isn't all that far fetched to say Pittsburgh has a legitimate concern with each and every spot on its offensive line. Even its best lineman, LT Marvel Smith, is coming off back problems. But it also would not be a major shock if this unit played much better in 2008, with the whole being worth more than the sum of the individual parts.

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 01:02 AM
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/footb ... id=3447747 (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3447747)

. It isn't all that far fetched to say Pittsburgh has a legitimate concern with each and every spot on its offensive line. Even its best lineman, LT Marvel Smith, is coming off back problems. But it also would not be a major shock if this unit played much better in 2008, with the whole being worth more than the sum of the individual parts.

Thanls for Posting. But this is a typical article from a so called expert who is afraid to actually make a prediction. i mean talkabout having it both ways. I guess you can't go wrong with you give out both scenarios that could take place. :HeadBanger

sd steel
06-18-2008, 01:26 AM
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

. It isn't all that far fetched to say Pittsburgh has a legitimate concern with each and every spot on its offensive line. Even its best lineman, LT Marvel Smith, is coming off back problems. But it also would not be a major shock if this unit played much better in 2008, with the whole being worth more than the sum of the individual parts.

Thanls for Posting. But this is a typical article from a so called expert who is afraid to actually make a prediction. i mean talkabout having it both ways. I guess you can't go wrong with you give out both scenarios that could take place. :HeadBanger

The guy gets paid to write. Its the offseason and he has nothing to write about so he does some rankings w/o throwing anyone under the bus.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you how our line will perform this year, and I have watched this team constantly for the last 35 years. They have some athletes, and with some cohesion and communication and a better center, plus with the additions on Mendenhall and Swede they could be formidable. I don't really see them being worse than last year, but they sucked and still won the AFC north. So predictions and aholes are very similar in my opinion, everyone has one....etc.

We will see when the games are played.

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 02:25 AM
I think the scouts inc guys are terrible. If I thought they were any good I would say so.
They had one on espn 1250 one day before last year began. And he was going on and on about how Carson Palmer was so much better than Ben. They were having a discussion about whether or not Ben was the real deal. The Scount couldn' say for sure. So I call in and give him Yards per pass speech. And he flat out said Yards per pass isn't all that important. At whch point I ripped off about 10 historic stats relating to yards per pass and he was dumbfounded. And the guy is a scout. unreal. Of course I do this for a living and spend about 120 hrs a week at it. Maybe i was being to hard on him looking back.

BURGH86STEEL
06-18-2008, 05:43 AM
I think the scouts inc guys are terrible. If I thought they were any good I would say so.
They had one on espn 1250 one day before last year began. And he was going on and on about how Carson Palmer was so much better than Ben. They were having a discussion about whether or not Ben was the real deal. The Scount couldn' say for sure. So I call in and give him Yards per pass speech. And he flat out said Yards per pass isn't all that important. At whch point I ripped off about 10 historic stats relating to yards per pass and he was dumbfounded. And the guy is a scout. unreal. Of course I do this for a living and spend about 120 hrs a week at it. Maybe i was being to hard on him looking back.

I believe the problem with the yards per pass play is it's a stat that you look at after the fact. I doubt coaches go into games thinking we need to pass 7.9 per play or whatever to win a game.

steeld95
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I am pretty much expecting most writers to say the same thing about our O-line. Most of them just look at stats from last year and see who we lost and who we picked up. They are going to see we gave up 47 sacks last year and lost Faneca. Alot of them usually don't dig deeper then that. If they did they would realize we played a tight end at center and it pretty much effected everyone's performance on the line. Thats why I think the Hartwig pickup can be very big.

Steely76
06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
We're ranked that high?

Seriously I don't put much stock in all these preseason rankings by so-called experts.
We were picked 3rd in the division the SB year of '05.

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM

I believe the problem with the yards per pass play is it's a stat that you look at after the fact. I doubt coaches go into games thinking we need to pass 7.9 per play or whatever to win a game.

No kidding sherlock :roll:

Shawn
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

What did you want the man to write? Our center is likely better...our LG is likely worse and we have an extra year of "chemistry" between 3 of the 5 guys. Ben has extra weapons which could force teams into more coverage. I mean I think the guy had it covered. The fact... no one including yourself knows how this line will perform. My guess...not much better than last season.

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

What did you want the man to write? Our center is likely better...our LG is likely worse and we have an extra year of "chemistry" between 3 of the 5 guys. Ben has extra weapons which could force teams into more coverage. I mean I think the guy had it covered. The fact... no one including yourself knows how this line will perform. My guess...not much better than last season.

Hey, I think it was a terrible, poorly wrote artical. Just an opinion. I don't respect scouts inc. Football outsiders I respect a lot. Scouts inc is garbage in my opinion. In my opinion.

Shawn
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
[quote=fordfixer]By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

Hey, I think it was a terrible, poorly wrote artical. Just an opinion. I don't respect scouts inc. Football outsiders I respect a lot. Scouts inc is garbage in my opinion. In my opinion.[/quote:1r4ll72l]

Scouts might be garbage just don't believe the man missed any valid points.

SteelHoss
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

The guy gets paid to write. Its the offseason and he has nothing to write about so he does some rankings w/o throwing anyone under the bus.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you how our line will perform this year, and I have watched this team constantly for the last 35 years. They have some athletes, and with some cohesion and communication and a better center, plus with the additions on Mendenhall and Swede they could be formidable. I don't really see them being worse than last year, but they sucked and still won the AFC north. So predictions and aholes are very similar in my opinion, everyone has one....etc.

We will see when the games are played.[/quote:e5446ji6]

:Agree I have put my O line demons to rest for now, however, I am somewhat puzzled as we have heard little on Hartwig other than he's been working with the second team.
We even had a good read on Stapleton. Does anyone else find this a little strange? :?:

Shawn
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Strange? Nah...Mahan was the starter ending the season...he will be the starter going into this offseason. Hartwig won't be given anything.

SteelHoss
06-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Strange? Nah...Mahan was the starter ending the season...he will be the starter going into this offseason. Hartwig won't be given anything.

I'm with you, however, I would have thought that our local media guys would have been trying to get an interview seeing how many of us believe he's the man. I mean we did'nt even get a how do you like the "Burgh" question or a photo of him in a Steeler uniform. I don't know. I just wanted to hear a bit more about him.

NKySteeler
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Prisco has us in the same slot...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10851305

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)

We will see when the games are played.

:Agree I have put my O line demons to rest for now, however, I am somewhat puzzled as we have heard little on Hartwig other than he's been working with the second team.
We even had a good read on Stapleton. Does anyone else find this a little strange? :?:[/quote:1a7oau3y]

I can explain this. It means you will see a lot of musical chairs on the Line until september cause the Jackass in the front offfce decded to give starks and Mahan 24 million dollars and they now have to try to justify those signings.

NKySteeler
06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I can explain this. It means you will see a lot of musical chairs on the Line until september cause the Jackass in the front offfce decded to give starks and Mahan 24 million dollars and they now have to try to justify those signings.

If so, we will have a losing season.... We played that game last year: Coming out of camp, no one knew who the starters were.... And the price was paid. ...

...The O-line MUST be decided early on, and allow some time within pre-season to gel. Period.

fordfixer
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM

If so, we will have a losing season.... We played that game last year: Coming out of camp, no one knew who the starters were.... And the price was paid. ...

...The O-line MUST be decided early on, and allow some time within pre-season to gel. Period.

:Agree The o-line needs time to work togeather during training camp.

Mr Smartmonies
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM

:Agree The o-line needs time to work togeather during training camp.

yes sir.

buckeyehoppy
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM

:Agree and throw another vote in the direction of the line being finalized during the first week of camp.

I can see where the pundits get the Steelers OL at #24. I also see where the Steelers won the division last year with this "substandard" line.

Is the Steelers OL perfect? Hardly. But OL is only one element of the team. And, as I have said before, there's a lot to be said about the cohesion of the OL unit. That's why it is eminently important that the OL be settled early in camp so the starting unit can get it together and work more effectively as a unit.

A lot of people look at the loss of Faneca and go about wringing hands. How come? Is Alan Faneca really still an All-Pro caliber OL? Last year he was, but largely on reputation only. I believe his loss is vastly overstated and the Steelers will replace him with a player who will work just as effectively with the rest of the unit. The Steelers have been very good over the years allowing players deemed to be past their prime to walk.

All these pundits are the Lords of the Off-Season. All they know is what they saw last year. Did one of them have the Giants winning the SB at this point last year? Hardly. Perhaps they suspected the Pats* would do what they did, but it doesn't go much further than that.