PDA

View Full Version : Specter calls off spygate probe

anger 82&95
06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3448051

AngryAsian
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I figured it would be all smoke and mirrors since he's a Philly fan.

stlrz d
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Sad day for NFL fans everywhere.

LasVegasGuy
06-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Let's say I am not surprised by this. It was a matter of time before the public got to him and bitched about everything that is wrong in this country other then the Patriots. I would have loved to see what ex coaches, players and Ernie Adams had to say. I guess the Patriots can breathe a collective sigh of relief and continue to go about their cheating ways.

Mr Smartmonies
06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Let's say I am not surprised by this. It was a matter of time before the public got to him and bitched about everything that is wrong in this country other then the Patriots. I would have loved to see what ex coaches, players and Ernie Adams had to say. I guess the Patriots can breathe a collective sigh of relief and continue to go about their cheating ways.

Let me add though that this story has shed some light on how the media and public
handle things.

When Spygate first came about , everyone (talking in general here about media) said it was just 1 game and no big deal. There was no way that it helped them in any way.
We later find out that this has been going on for 8 years. We find out that it involved both offensive and defnesive signal stealing. We even get news that a Patriots player said they could predict up to 75% of the opponents defensive plays. But throughout the whole process, it was being downplayed by people, "who know better." (mainly the talking heads on TV).

Same thing is going on in the NBA. Tim Donaghy is cooperating with the FBI. The Prosecution is so sure of it that they sent a letter to the judge asking for a very light sentence for the guy they convicted. Yet, the talking heads are down playing it. It's just one rogue ref. Nothing more than that. Donaghy just gets called a convicted Felon by Stern and ESPN just goes along with it. And I am sure that if Spector investigated this mess, he would find that Stern is the biggest fraud in sports.

Everything is downplayed by the masses. I swear the people at the top use that to their advantage. They know the public will think a certain way. And the few that don't think like the masses, will just be called asses and not taken serious. Until a guy like Spector shows up I guess. Makes me wonder if UFO sightings are legit.

NorCal-Steeler
06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Its a shame he wont persue this further but i'd bet anything in the years to come as players retire more will come out further tarnishing the Pats* house of cards dynasty.

SteelHoss
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks to Sen. Specter for taking us this far. He was the only voice we had to represent us. You can bet the Entire NE Patsy Organization and Patsy fans every where are Relieved. I will still take great pleasure in watching their decline.

phillyesq
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks to Sen. Specter for taking us this far. He was the only voice we had to represent us. You can bet the Entire NE Patsy Organization and Patsy fans every where are Relieved. I will still take great pleasure in watching their decline.

Not to be a pessimist, but I think that he was more representing Comcast, who is feuding with the NFL Network, and not us, as fans of the NFL and/or Steelers fans.

stlrz d
06-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Not to be a pessimist, but I think that he was more representing Comcast, who is feuding with the NFL Network, and not us, as fans of the NFL and/or Steelers fans.

To me it didn't matter who he was representing as long as he was bringing attention to cheating in the NFL.

us_steelinfrance
06-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I agree that Specter wasn't involved because of his love of justice for Steeler fans. Nonetheless, I think his involvement forced the NFL to expose more of the Pat's cheating than they intended to. I also think (hope?) the NFL will reign in any future cheating. Nobody sees the Pats* in the same light as pre-Spygate and any "glitches" (extra/jamming radio frequencies, etc) by them now will immediately be sanctioned (please, Goodell!!).

LasVegasGuy
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

To me it didn't matter who he was representing as long as he was bringing attention to cheating in the NFL.

I'm with you on this one "D".

NKySteeler
06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Yes, it's a shame that the issue is being dropped... But I personally really didn't want to be hearing about it as we go into camp/pre-season... This is a time for new beginnings and potential. Besides, in the back of my mind I didn't expect anything to come from it anyway...