View Full Version : Tomlin says no jobs won in spring, without hitting

fordfixer
06-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Tomlin says no jobs won in spring, without hitting
Steelers summer break, 44 days until Latrobe
Friday, June 13, 2008
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889666-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Mike Tomlin laughed before he heard the end of the question about whether Chris Kemoeatu had secured the starting job at left guard this spring.

"He won it in shorts?" he responded.

The stock answer is that Steelers don't win or lose jobs in the spring, when there is no hitting, when there are no real requirements for players to attend and when a receiver can run over the middle and extend his arms for a pass without fear.

Those quasi-football practices came to an end yesterday, and the players now have off until the more telling time of training camp opens for them July 27 at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Although these spring organized team activities have taken on more intensity the past dozen years, they remain a poor cousin of the real thing in the summer.

"What we've done to this point has been good," Tomlin said, "but it's been teach-oriented, it's been skill-develop-oriented. It's different than playing the game of football."

Tomlin talked about spring practices being good for team camaraderie and the learning process for individuals, but the coach pretty much rendered them useless for player evaluations or individual competition for jobs.

"I don't read too deeply into evaluating this time of year," Tomlin said. "It's about teaching. This is football in shorts, and I keep that in mind as I look at what goes on out there. People that may do great things out there may disappear in pads. Guys who struggle out there in shorts may be great players in pads. I always keep that thought in mind. I reserve judgment until we go to training camp and put pads on."

Santonio Holmes suggested a day earlier that Tomlin cut back on the number of spring practices he conducts so he and other players can save it for when it really counts, in training camp. Holmes bowed out of a number of practices because of his beliefs.

Asked if he takes such opinions into consideration, Tomlin answered, "It depends on the source. I like Santonio, Santonio's a good player, a good guy. He's learning how to be a professional. We'll continue to work with him."

Tomlin has been careful not to render public judgment on players who have skipped many of the voluntary practices. Troy Polamalu has spent the spring in California with his personal trainer. Casey Hampton has not been around for weeks, leading to speculation he might be working with a personal trainer this spring as well. Even Ben Roethlisberger was a no-show the past two practices.

"I'm not going to talk about guys who are not here," Tomlin said. "It's voluntary, and I'm going to leave it at that."

Few specifics surfaced as Tomlin wrapped up his second spring session. Among the few tidbits:

Holmes will get a chance to return punts this year after being denied the opportunity in 2007.

"The judgment we made in regards to that last year really was more about his development as a receiver. He was a second-year player. ... He's a year older, seemingly a year wiser. We'll see if he can handle it. If he can, we'll explore it."

Other candidates to return punts and/or kickoffs are Jeremy Bloom, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore and Willie Reid.

Training camp will take on a new look because teams are limited to 80-man rosters with the demise of NFL Europa and the five or six roster exemptions each NFL team had for those players.

"I think you have to approach it differently from that standpoint," Tomlin said.

"We are a veteran team in some areas; we have to approach it differently because of that. I know the guys a lot more than I knew them last year ... for those reasons, we will approach it differently."

Ozey74
06-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Nice to think about camp starting in just 6 weeks away!!

AngryAsian
06-15-2008, 07:55 AM

An eternity, brother. :x

Flasteel
06-15-2008, 10:48 AM

All you need to do is think about what you were doing six weeks ago and that should help illustrate how quickly time does fly by...at least that's how I always approach it.

Shawn
06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
We are close...this is the most painful time of the year to be a fan....well except for the day your team gets bumped from the playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2008, 11:23 AM

All you need to do is think about what you were doing six weeks ago and that should help illustrate how quickly time does fly by...at least that's how I always approach it.

Six weeks ago, I was immersed in the exciting NHL playoffs. Now I get a month-and-a-half of nothing but boring baseball? Feh...

Les 74
06-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd really like to go into this season with the assumption that the Willie Reid at KR/PR experiment has ended.

Ozey74
06-15-2008, 02:00 PM

I second your approach!! These six weeks will go by quick. I have a 4 day weekend next week from work and that will help pass the late off season doldrums

Ozey74
06-15-2008, 02:02 PM
We are close...this is the most painful time of the year to be a fan....well except for the day your team gets bumped from the playoffs.

I think it's kind of a "calm before the storm" type of feel.

BIG FAN
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
When I think of how excruciating and long the off-season is I remind myself it's probably not as long as it's been for pats* fans. Bet that 18-1 is still stinging. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
When I think of how excruciating and long the off-season is I remind myself it's probably not as long as it's been for pats* fans. Bet that 18-1 is still stinging. :lol:

While we are agonizing over how long it will be until the football season starts, Cleveland fans are hoping that they can savor their anointed offseason championship for as long as possible until the games start and their team is exposed as overrated poseurs. :brownssuck

BIG FAN
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM

While we are agonizing over how long it will be until the football season starts, Cleveland fans are hoping that they can savor their anointed offseason championship for as long as possible until the games start and their team is exposed as overrated poseurs. :brownssuck

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Ohhhh, I like the way you think!

I suspect they are still in shock...heh-heh-heh... :twisted:

NKySteeler
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
[quote="BIG FAN":u1s16lqy]When I think of how excruciating and long the off-season is I remind myself it's probably not as long as it's been for pats* fans. Bet that 18-1 is still stinging. :lol:

I suspect they are still in shock...heh-heh-heh... :twisted:[/quote:u1s16lqy]

NC, aren't you the one that created the "Cleveland skyline" parity motivator?
... Now would be a good time to revive it.

NC Steeler Fan
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
[quote="BIG FAN":sflk8qih]When I think of how excruciating and long the off-season is I remind myself it's probably not as long as it's been for pats* fans. Bet that 18-1 is still stinging. :lol:

I suspect they are still in shock...heh-heh-heh... :twisted:

NC, aren't you the one that created the "Cleveland skyline" parity motivator?
... Now would be a good time to revive it.[/quote:sflk8qih]

Umm, nope, not me!

NKySteeler
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Umm, nope, not me!

..... My bad. I thought it was.... :oops: