PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Most Memorable NFL Games

Mr Smartmonies
06-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Here is my list.

1) 1982 Chargers/ Dolphins Playoff game.

I was 10 years old and can clearly remember watching this game. I can remember the Chargers being up something like 24-0 with just a few seconds to go in the first half. I can remember Miami QB Don Strock coming in off the bench and leading a comeback. The comeback started with a hook and Lateral play that was simply amazing. The announcers were going on an on about how Don Shula always had a trick up his sleeve. The 2nd half was incredible. It was a shootout at the coral. Chargers TE Kellen Winslow had broke a record for the most catches in a game for a TE. But he was playing hurt. I can remember him being taken off the field multiple times and yet coming back in the game to make another important catch. This game was absolutely fantastic and I would kill to see
it again.

2) 1985 Dolphins/ Bears

I can still remember the anticipation for this game. The Bears were undefeated but they had to play the high Flying Dolphins with young Stud QB Danny Marino. The Bears up to this point looked completely unstoppable. But you had the feeling (almost as if you knew) that their winning streak would end on this Monday night. I guess the game itself wasn't that great. But the memorable part was Marino tearing apart that great defense. Marino was so competitive. He lived for challenges like that. To this day ,Marino is the best QB I have ever seen.

3)1990 Bills/ Giants SB

I guess the luster has been taken off of this one since the whole Belicheat thing broke wide open. Its hard to even appreciate Belichicks work now. That being said this was one of the best games I have ever seen. The Bills came into their first SB on a major roll. The has just beat the Raiders 51-3 in the championship game. They were great on both sides of the ball. Heavily talented. Their offense was unstoppable. They had this new hurry up offense that had taken league by storm. They could run the football with Thurman Thomas. They could spread the field and Jim Kelly had multiple weapons at the receiver position such as Andre Reed , james Lofton etc. The Giants were all defense. But I rooted for them because Local guy Jeff Hostetler was the QB. But it was hard to see how they could win. The game was unbelievable. Belichick was the defensive coordinator for the Giants and was in charge of slowing down this offensive juggernaut.
Thurman Thomas had a monster game. But it turns out that the game plan for the Giants was to allow Thomas to run. They wanted the Bills to get comfortable with running the football because Belichick felt that Kelly was unstoppable in the passing game. Belichick told his defensive players that If Thomas didn't get at least 120 yards rushing, they would lose. Lawrence Taylor and the boys did not like this. Nobody ran the ball on them. And they sort of felt Belichick was trying to Neuter them. But they agreed to the game plan. They would allow Thomas to run by dropping into coverage. But the plan was to step up and stop Thomas in the 2nd half after Kelly got comfortable with running the football. (kelly called his own plays) One of the most memorably plays from the game was when the Giants receiver broke about 3 tackles en route for a critical first down to keep the drive alive. Wide Right.

4)1982 Pats - Dolphins snowplow game
I will never forget this game. This game took place at New England in December. The conditions were awful. They played the game in a snowstorm. Neither team had scored well into the 4th QTr. But very late in the game the Patriots found themselves in field goal position. But the Field was a joke. There was no solid footing on all that snow. Here is what I remember. The Patriots were waiting to attempt a field goal when my Father said to me "what is that?" All of a sudden ,a guy driving a snowplow, comes out of nowhere and makes a path right where the holder would spot the football for the kicker. The Pats make the kick and win 3-0. I can recall Don Shula going Nuts on the sideline as he felt that he had been cheated. If memory serves, the driver of the snowplow had recently been released from jail. what a game. What a memory.

5) 1992 Bills - oilers

Not much needs to said here. Bills were down 35-3 at one point and won the game. The comeback was led by a backup QB named Frank. Nothing more needs to be said.

BURGH86STEEL
06-15-2008, 10:34 AM
The team you claim to love the most and not one Steeler's game on the list??? :loser

You bet on sports opps I mean "fixed" games so I doubt you have a favorite team.

Shawn
06-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Can we please stick to Steeler talk instead of personal ish?

Flasteel
06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I really hope that I forgot to hit the submit button and nobody erased my earlier reply which pretty much echoed what Burghsteel said.

I'm not attacking or trashing anyone, it's just that how do you leave the Steelers completely out of the top five and you're a fan?

Shawn
06-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Echoing Burghs statement...basically :loser is indeed attacking posters. Can everyone put away the grudge and leave each other be?

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I'll try to salvage this thread by listing my top 5 most memorable games (which in my case are all Steeler related).

Best game I attended that was not in Pittsburgh: Super Bowl XL in Detroit. This goes without saying.

Best playoff game I attended in Pittsburgh: The comeback against Cleveland in which Fuamatu-Ma'Afala scores on the draw play at the end. Our bleacher seats up in 525 were bouncing up and down as if I was standing in one of those inflatable carnival houses for kids.

Best regular season game I attended in Pittsburgh: The snow game against Chicago in which Bettis ran for 100 yards in the second half. Snow was actually accumulating on us fans, but it was never more fun to be that cold and wet.

Best games that I watched on TV: The Colts and Broncos games prior to SBXL (tie). The Colts because it was one of the greatest roller coaster games of all time. The Broncos because I knew that if they won I would be going to the Super Bowl along with the team, so I had butterflies throughout.

Shawn
06-15-2008, 11:42 AM
The Cleveland Steeler game where Harrison slams that fan. That was my first in person game...went with my wife...we crushed them...and humiliated them...it was great.

Obviously the SB

I liked the 1985 SB...total crushing of the Pats for one...I loved the Fridge...and it was the first SB that I remember really watching.

The Colt/Steeler playoff game: The tackle

Flasteel
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Echoing Burghs statement...basically :loser is indeed attacking posters. Can everyone put away the grudge and leave each other be?

If I was echoing that, then yes I can see your point. That's not really what I was referring to however...just the lack of representation from the Black-n-Gold. I try to let every post/ thread stand or fail on its' own merits and not bring any crap from past arguments into it (unless there is a pattern which emerges). I don't want to start treating anyone with kid gloves, just because we mixed it up previously and if I have a critical comment about a thread, I'm going to make my point with as much civility as possible.

I don't know what powers any mods have to erase posts, or who is even a mod here, but I switched over here primarily due to the censorship and lack of respect by those who control the Trib board. There is every possibility in the world that I failed to hit submit, but I could have sworn I saw my previous post logged in the main forum page. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but if someone dicked with my post, it better be the last time.

Shawn
06-15-2008, 11:49 AM
If you would like to discuss this further in PM...then PM me. But, I doubt anyone wants to see this place turn out like StillerNation (a place without censorship). There are certain people that we all don't like....myself included. If I feel the need to take jabs...I will just stay away. I hope everyone here can try to do that. I really hope we can keep this a civil community.

Mr Smartmonies
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
This thread wasn't supposed to be anti Steeler or anything. I was kind of hoping that some of you would have a short list of some memorable NFL games. Maybe I should have titled it "best games ever" or something like that. Oh well another thread shot.

LasVegasGuy
06-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Smartmonies, I have to agree with you on this one. I don't understand why someone would be classified less of a Steelerfan if their 5 most memorable games didn't include the Steelers? If I had to list out my 5 most exciting games maybe the Steelers are on the list and maybe they aren't it still doesn't take away from the fact that the Steelers are my favorite team.

Mr Smartmonies
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Smartmonies, I have to agree with you on this one. I don't understand why someone would be classified less of a Steelerfan if their 5 most memorable games didn't include the Steelers? If I had to list out my 5 most exciting games maybe the Steelers are on the list and maybe they aren't it still doesn't take away from the fact that the Steelers are my favorite team.

If I would gone to #6 , the Browns / steeler Playoff game earlier in the decade
might have been chosen. I'm a huge steeler fan. I shouldn't even have to mention that.

Flasteel
06-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm surprised that there's no love yet for the Colts playoff game during the title march. I don't think my emotions ever swung so much down the stretch of any ballgame.

Shawn
06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised that there's no love yet for the Colts playoff game during the title march. I don't think my emotions ever swung so much down the stretch of any ballgame.

That might be the greatest Steeler game I have ever seen. And it was on my list. :)

LasVegasGuy
06-15-2008, 09:28 PM

That one was good. However, mine has to be the Steelers/Jets in 2004 when we were 15-1. I was at that game and if you want to talk about emotional swings this game had it all. This game converted my part time football wife to a full time football addict. I couldn't have taken her to a more fitting 1st game. She loved it...... I then followed it up with the Steelers/Miami in the monsoon. I thought she was going to kill me but she rode it out like a true football fan.

Steel Life
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Here is my list.

1) Super Bowl 40 - I was worried the Steelers wouldn't be able win it again. 20-some years of frustration were wiped out that day.

2) Super Bowl 30 - My own personal sports nightmare...being the better team, but losing because of two mind-numbing plays. Awful...

3) Super Bowl 13 - Still the best Super Bowl I've seen. Two powerhouse teams at their peak, insults & boasts, an up & down game - people forget how good this one was. I hope they play it constantly in Hell for Waters & Harris when they get there. :twisted:

4) AFCC 2005 - Beating down the Broncos, the team seemed unstoppable & joyous.

5) TIE - I know it's cop-out but....I can't decide.
- Super Bowl 14...thought the Steelers were going to lose until the bombs to Stallworth;
- Bears vs. Rams '85 NFCC - complete defensive dominance, a wonder to watch;
- '99 NFC Playoff - the unknown Warner, throws the Rams to a 49-37 victory over the Vikings;
- Farve's Game against the Raiders after the death of his father...magical;
- Packers vs. Seahawks in the snow in this year's playoffs...surreal;
- This year's Super Bowl...loved that the smug Patriots lost...it was redeeming.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2008, 08:43 AM

That might be the greatest Steeler game I have ever seen. And it was on my list. :)

Yeah, and I listed that game before you did. I think FlaSteel is only reading his buddy MSM's posts in this thread. :wink:

Flasteel
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Yeah, and I listed that game before you did. I think FlaSteel is only reading his buddy MSM's posts in this thread. :wink:

Sorry Ruthless, I just usually breeze through your posts without paying much attention. :D :Boobs

Jigawatts
06-16-2008, 12:59 PM
How close was the Jax playoff game from being on the list in a good way? :x

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Sorry Ruthless, I just usually breeze through your posts without paying much attention. :D :Boobs

That means that you have something in common with about 99% of the other posters on this board! :lol:

Djfan
06-17-2008, 02:55 AM
The five SBs we won. I remember all of them.