PDA

View Full Version : CHAD, MARVIN EXCHANGE PLEASANTRIES

fordfixer
06-13-2008, 01:22 AM
CHAD, MARVIN EXCHANGE PLEASANTRIES
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/ ... asantries/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/12/chad-marvin-exchange-pleasantries/)

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2008, 11:03 p.m. EDT
In video that was shot by the Cincinnati Enquirer and accompanied by surprisingly clear audio obtained via a microphone apparently strong enough to pick up the sound of a muffled fart from 100 yards, Bengals receiver Chad Johnson and coach Marvin Lewis share some words on Thursday, the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp.

Says Marvin, “When you gonna come give me some love?”Replies Chad, “Ain’t no love no more. It’s business.”Says Marvin, “Oh, okay. Good. Business is playing.”

And then Chad says this: “It’s scary when you got someone great, and he’s playing pissed off.”

Actually, that isn’t scary. Sometimes when a guy plays pissed off, he plays even better.

But we think we know what Chad is saying. He’s saying that maybe he won’t run as fast or jump as high or try as hard because he’s “pissed off.”

In our view, that would be conduct detrimental to the team, and Chad’s stated intention further set the stage for a T.O.-style confrontation between player and team.

Meanwhile, Marvin apparently recognizes the possibility that Johnson might not be around for all or part of the 2008 season. “He went to the meetings, but didn’t take any reps,” Lewis said, “which is kind of good because it allows us to move forward. The young guys need the work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Go to link at top for video

proudpittsburgher
06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
:Blah :bungalssuck

I watched the coverage last night on Total Access, an I turned to my wife and said, "I'm glad we are not Bengals fans." Being a part of a circus is all they have. So much talent in Chad Johnson, and he's reduced to what he has become. It'd be sad if I really gave a shat about the Bungles. Personally, I'm looking forward to the pair of annual Chad Johnson no shows we will see when he lines up against the Steelers this season.

RussBII
06-13-2008, 09:47 AM

I watched the coverage last night on Total Access, an I turned to my wife and said, "I'm glad we are not Bengals fans." Being a part of a circus is all they have. So much talent in Chad Johnson, and he's reduced to what he has become. It'd be sad if I really gave a shat about the Bungles. Personally, I'm looking forward to the pair of annual Chad Johnson no shows we will see when he lines up against the Steelers this season.

Man, I've got a good buddy who is a bengals fan... he's just beaten... when we talk football he'd rather talk about the Steelers because it's less painful for him...

Three to Four years ago, he was excited and into it... now he's bitter and sad.... i actually feel bad for him.. it's not his fault he was born in the 'natti.... Chad has taken his last bit of enjoyment out of football... it's just crap that a team allows its players to do that to a fan....

poor kid.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Man, I've got a good buddy who is a bengals fan... he's just beaten... when we talk football he'd rather talk about the Steelers because it's less painful for him...

Three to Four years ago, he was excited and into it... now he's bitter and sad.... i actually feel bad for him.. it's not his fault he was born in the 'natti.... Chad has taken his last bit of enjoyment out of football... it's just crap that a team allows its players to do that to a fan....

poor kid.

Can a tiger change his stripes? Why do these people put themselves through this? He could be a fan of a real team instead... :bungalssuck :tt1 :Steel

RussBII
06-13-2008, 10:27 AM

poor kid.

Can a tiger change his stripes? Why do these people put themselves through this? He could be a fan of a real team instead... :bungalssuck :tt1 :Steel

If the Steelers wound up sucking for an extended period of time, would you switch allegiances?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-13-2008, 11:07 AM

poor kid.

If the Steelers wound up sucking for an extended period of time, would you switch allegiances?

There is sucking due to poor play and poor management - Detroit.

Then, there is sucking due to poor character and morals - Cincinnati.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2008, 12:02 PM

poor kid.

Absolutely not...but when a particular organization is an embarrassment on the field, an embarrassment off the field, and an an embarrassment in the front office, what the @#$% are you rooting for at that point? :bungalssuck :tt2

Ozey74
06-13-2008, 12:30 PM

NO!! That's what's Colts fan do here in Indiana. Once Peyton is gone, so will all of the Colts licenses plates on the cars.

Mr Smartmonies
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/ ... asantries/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/12/chad-marvin-exchange-pleasantries/)

In video that was shot by the Cincinnati Enquirer and accompanied by surprisingly clear audio obtained via a microphone apparently strong enough to pick up the sound of a muffled fart from 100 yards, Bengals receiver Chad Johnson and coach Marvin Lewis share some words on Thursday, the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp.

Says Marvin, “When you gonna come give me some love?”Replies Chad, “Ain’t no love no more. It’s business.”Says Marvin, “Oh, okay. Good. Business is playing.”

And then Chad says this: “It’s scary when you got someone great, and he’s playing pissed off.”

Actually, that isn’t scary. Sometimes when a guy plays pissed off, he plays even better.

But we think we know what Chad is saying. He’s saying that maybe he won’t run as fast or jump as high or try as hard because he’s “pissed off.”

In our view, that would be conduct detrimental to the team, and Chad’s stated intention further set the stage for a T.O.-style confrontation between player and team.

Meanwhile, Marvin apparently recognizes the possibility that Johnson might not be around for all or part of the 2008 season. “He went to the meetings, but didn’t take any reps,” Lewis said, “which is kind of good because it allows us to move forward. The young guys need the work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Go to link at top for video

no chad, no Chris Henry. Double Team TJ and lets see how good palmer really is?

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM

Well, they did draft 3 WR's, hoping against hope that maybe one of them can play. I still can't believe they passed on Sweed to draft Nate Jr. from Coastal Carolina. They emphasized the kid's high character in justifying the pick, but then went and drafted the train wreck Jason Shirley the next day. What a mess.

Mr Smartmonies
06-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Well, they did draft 3 WR's, hoping against hope that maybe one of them can play. I still can't believe they passed on Sweed to draft Nate Jr. from Coastal Carolina. They emphasized the kid's high character in justifying the pick, but then went and drafted the train wreck Jason Shirley the next day. What a mess.

The Bengals offense desperately needs a Tight End. They actually need a TE more than another Receiver. Their GM has yet to figure that out.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
[quote=fordfixer]CHAD, MARVIN EXCHANGE PLEASANTRIES

The Bengals offense desperately needs a Tight End. They actually need a TE more than another Receiver. Their GM has yet to figure that out.[/quote:1ag3ssh7]

Not a big Ben Utecht fan, eh?

Mr Smartmonies
06-13-2008, 03:01 PM
[quote=fordfixer]CHAD, MARVIN EXCHANGE PLEASANTRIES

The Bengals offense desperately needs a Tight End. They actually need a TE more than another Receiver. Their GM has yet to figure that out.

Not a big Ben Utecht fan, eh?[/quote:k085uug9]

What did he ever do? :lol: :lol:

Shawn
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Sweed is no Pac man Jones when it comes to character. Sweed has been noted as being a hard worker...and solid person. That justification makes zero sense...much like most of the things the Bengals say and do.

:bungalssuck

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Sweed is no Pac man Jones when it comes to character. Sweed has been noted as being a hard worker...and solid person. That justification makes zero sense...much like most of the things the Bengals say and do.

I'm not saying that they chose Jerome Simpson over Limas Sweed because they though Simpson had good character and Sweed did not. I've never heard anything negative about Sweed that concerns anything other than his wrist. I just think the Bengals want some positive P.R. finally for drafting a kid who has a passion for working with kids with disabilities (even though they cancelled those positives out with some questionable characters on day two). Still, it is not a good sign when the player himself thinks it was a reach where he was drafted. The following story is from SI.com:

Jerome Simpson isn't insulted when he's asked if he thinks the Bengals reached to pick him in the second round of the NFL Draft. The soft spoken Coastal Carolina receiver, projected by most to be a second-day pick, simply smiles and nods his head.

"I didn't think I would go that high," says Simpson, putting on his black and orange uniform for the first time during a trading card photo shoot in Los Angeles. "I wasn't even home when I got picked."

Simpson, who caught 41 passes for 697 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, was actually with his family, doing what he normally does on Saturdays in the spring. He was heading to the Winston Salem Flea Market after enjoying a family meal of pizza and wings at Elizabeth's, a local Italian restaurant near his home.

"We were about 15 minutes from my house when I got a call from a strange number so I looked at my mom and said, 'Turn the radio down, turn the radio down,'" says Simpson, who was also with his grandmother and two uncles. "I'll never forget it. We were driving down Highway 29 in Greensboro when I got the call that changed my life."

"Hi, Jerome, how you doing," said the voice on the other line.

"Doing good," said Jerome as he looked at the faces in his Toyota Tundra, which he had just pulled to the side of the road.

"This is Coach [Marvin] Lewis, get ready and turn your TV on because we're about to pick you."

Simpson and his family immediately got out of his car and began celebrating on the side of the highway as cars raced past them. "I told my family, put the hazard lights on and we were on the highway jumping up and down and going crazy," he says. "People were driving by, thinking what's wrong with those people, but if they only knew. It was the most exciting time of my life."

It wasn't until Simpson returned home that he finally saw himself getting picked as he TiVoed the first day on the off chance that he was selected.

"I was expecting to go in the third round or something," says Simpson. "My agent said I had a 5 percent chance of getting picked late in the second round depending on how the draft goes, but I was expecting to go later."

Picked ahead of bigger name wideouts such as Texas's Limas Sweed, Cal's DeSean Jackson and Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly, Simpson had solid tangible qualities and measurements, including a combine record 11-foot-4 standing broad jump and the largest hand measurement (11 inches) of anyone who worked out at the RCA Dome. But Cincy mostly liked Simpson because, unlike so many Bengals before him, Lewis won't have to worry about Simpson off the field.

As Simpson talks about his goals for the upcoming season -- pushing for playing time, scoring his first touchdown, learning from the veterans -- he pauses and shakes his head. His first real tangible goal, he says, is working with disabled children in Cincinnati, continuing a commitment he's had since he was a college freshman.

"My real passion is working with kids with disabilities," said Simpson, who often takes care of his uncle, James Brim, who suffers from a mental disability. "I've worked in wheelchair basketball games and I love doing that. My uncle has a disability and he's a little slow but he's a great guy and I love to go fishing with him. He's a guy that would do anything for you and I love spending time with him. It teaches you a lot about patience, being able to work with people with disabilities."

During his time at Coastal Carolina, Simpson befriended a young fan named Dylan with cerebral palsy who would come to every game in his wheelchair wearing the jersey Simpson gave him. The two talked after the game no matter the result.

"He can't do a lot but he loves sports. He loves baseball and football and he wants to be a catcher or a receiver one day. He can't do it, but I play for him," said Simpson. "He wears my jersey and comes to every game. He loves me and I love him. He's at every one of my games and win or lose he says, 'Jerome you had a good game,' and that's really an inspiration to me. I could easily be in that situation, but I'm out here running and catching passes in the NFL."

Picking Simpson may not have changed the face of the Bengals franchise as the Falcons hope the selection and subsequent record-breaking contract signing of Matt Ryan did. But Simpson believes he will not only boost a receiving corps in need of some stability but also improve the character of a team which has seen a dozen players arrested since 2006.

"I think my good character played a part in my selection," said Simpson. "I want to bring that good character to this team and help lead some of those guys that have been in trouble to help out in the community. I've always had that leader role even when I was a freshman. I have a good way of leading people and opening up people's eyes about things and I think I can do that here, too."

Kipper
06-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Makes me happy that Cancer Johnson is on a team in our division. Not that the Bengals were going to go anywhere anyways but it's like handing a team a live grenade. Couldn't happen to a better bunch :lol:

Ozey74
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Makes me happy that Cancer Johnson is on a team in our division. Not that the Bengals were going to go anywhere anyways but it's like handing a team a live grenade. Couldn't happen to a better bunch :lol:

It's like watching a sitcom. :lol:

Carson Palmer has got to be pissed to be a Bengal!!

proudpittsburgher
06-14-2008, 04:51 AM

NO!! That's what's Colts fan do here in Indiana. Once Peyton is gone, so will all of the Colts licenses plates on the cars.

Ah, I see you see it too. I live up here in northeast Indiana, and I swear half of these "die-hards" don't even know the Colts play on Sunday for the first part of the season. :Agree

Ozey74
06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Ah, I see you see it too. I live up here in northeast Indiana, and I swear half of these "die-hards" don't even know the Colts play on Sunday for the first part of the season. :Agree[/quote]

That's funny!! Hoosiers everywhere are ignorant when it comes to the Colts. Besides Jeff Saturday, they can't even name one Offensive Lineman. I bet it will take some Colts fans till late October to realize that the Colts have a new stadium.

In my office @ work, I have a few Steelers items displayed on a cabinet -nothing gaudy but visable to all that come in. Only 1 time in the past two years has anyone giving me any good nature ribbing about being a Steeler fan in "Colts Country".

If a Colts fan worked in Pittsburgh and has his Colts stuff displayed, it would be bad for business and down after 3 three days.

If they Steelers were going to win only 1 game all season, I would want it to be against the Colts in November. :twisted:

I can't wait to see Savior Manning play on that sandlot known as Heinz Feild!!