PDA

View Full Version : Question about Plasma TV

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Looking at buying a Panasonic plasma tv and had a question about the service plan, is this something i should get? With the recent improvements with plasma i didnt know if this would be a necessity or if i was being cornholed. Also, he was trying to push some "calibration" service on me for an extra $200+!! Supposed to make my picture cleaner.... Any input would be appreciated. I know NOTHING about Plasma tv's.

Thanks.

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Looking at buying a Panasonic plasma tv and had a question about the service plan, is this something i should get? With the recent improvements with plasma i didnt know if this would be a necessity or if i was being cornholed. Also, he was trying to push some "calibration" service on me for an extra $200+!! Supposed to make my picture cleaner.... Any input would be appreciated. I know NOTHING about Plasma tv's.

Thanks.

I know nothing about Plasma, but it seems that LCD technology is the most stable and most popular of the three flat panel technologies. The reps I've talked to when purchasing my TVs all pointed to LCD technology because there's now "burnout" factor. I have a friend whose an avid CNN viewer and has a plasma, watches CNN all the time. Now when you turn the channel to anything other than CNN, you see silhouette of the CNN logo at the bottom because of the freq. of use of red at that portion of the screen. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... I have three Samsung LCDs and I haven't had one problem with any of them.

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks AS, i appreciate the reply...i have heard about images getting burned onto the screen and was a little worried about that. I didnt know if itwas still an issue or not.... :?

Shawn
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with AS. LCD is the way many techies go. I have a plasma, an sxrd projection, and 3 LCD. I like them all. But for the money...the SXRD is sick. It has a better picture than my wifes plasma. As for service plans...just say no. Calibration...LOL...what the? They should already be "calibrated" for proper picture. They come ready to go. As for "burn out". If you change up your signal and channels you will be fine with plasma...but if you watch too many movies...you can get the bars...if you watch too much disney channel you will have little mickey ears burned into your screen. If you watch a variety of things on a plasma you will be fine.

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
You can always get this jewel.... a ghetto flatscreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ghetto_flatscreen.jpg

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ghetto_tv.jpg

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks SMG, good info..and thats what i said about the "Calibration"...they even had 2 tv's set next to one another with labels, 'Calibrated' 'NON-Calibrated' and some article from the NY Times. This one old dude was having a fit that the charge for this extra service was around $250.00...but he paid for it. :?

Thanks again.

Shawn
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
AS pictures of my living room were meant for your eyes only. You have crossed the line.

:Hater

:lol:

Shawn
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks SMG, good info..and thats what i said about the "Calibration"...they even had 2 tv's set next to one another with labels, 'Calibrated' 'NON-Calibrated' and some article from the NY Times. This one old dude was having a fit that the charge for this extra service was around $250.00...but he paid for it. :?

Thanks again.

I read alot of HD forums before buying my TVs. I never seen anything about the need for "calibration". It sounds like a used car sales technique where they offer you unneeded services to stick it to ya. What I suggest is becoming a member of an HD TV forum and ask a few questions. Many of those guys do this kind of thing for a living and they have been very very helpful. Hdtvvoice.com is the place I go to with my questions.

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
You can always get this jewel.... a ghetto flatscreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ghetto_flatscreen.jpg

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ghetto_tv.jpg

:D

worst idea ever...

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 01:14 PM
AS pictures of my living room were meant for your eyes only. You have crossed the line.

:Hater

:lol:

I didn't think anyone would recognize your manroom because it was before we painted it. My deepest apologies. :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I have LCD...no complaints.

LasVegasGuy
06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I bought a Panasonic 58" plasma about a year and a half ago and I love it. This by far the best TV I ever owned. People that come over to the house are absolutely amazed at the picture the screen is bright and the colors really pop out. I did alot of research between the DLP, LCD and the Plasma and in my opinion the Plasma had the best overall picture IMO. My son watches the backyardigans all the time which has that stupid little Nickelodeon image that sits in the lower right hand corner of every episode and I have yet to see the image burned in when the TV is off which was one of the things I was concerned about with Plasma. Since it was a rather expensive TV I went with the store warranty which was 5 years. Their warranty pretty much guaranteed me against any problems for the first 5 years and it was around $250. If they can't fix it they will give me the latest and greatest from Panasonic which is nice to know. Also, my Plasma generates some heat which is normal so if you are going to have it in a little room you may feel a temperature drop when you head to the kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Tell him to stick the calibration. And because you are offended by him asking you are taking your business elsewhere. That should be good for a free in store warranty or 10% off. Honestly, I don't even know if my Panasonic has a control for calibration. Besides that is so 2001. The TV's that required it where the old heavy floor models on wheels that used mirrors along with red, green and blue lamps. Any jarring of the TV would knock the lamps out of alignment thus needing someone to recalibrate the TV.

birtikidis
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
i love my plasma. all three are damn good though. my roommate watches hours of hte history channel and the H has never burned in. i'm about to kick his azz though if he doesn't get off the couch.
this is summer and we're in florida! why the hell aren't you at the pool... speaking of which, on my way there now.
later

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I bought a Panasonic 58" plasma about a year and a half ago and I love it. This by far the best TV I ever owned. People that come over to the house are absolutely amazed at the picture the screen is bright and the colors really pop out. I did alot of research between the DLP, LCD and the Plasma and in my opinion the Plasma had the best overall picture IMO. My son watches the backyardigans all the time which has that stupid little Nickelodeon image that sits in the lower right hand corner of every episode and I have yet to see the image burned in when the TV is off which was one of the things I was concerned about with Plasma. Since it was a rather expensive TV I went with the store warranty which was 5 years. Their warranty pretty much guaranteed me against any problems for the first 5 years and it was around $250. If they can't fix it they will give me the latest and greatest from Panasonic which is nice to know. Also, my Plasma generates some heat which is normal so if you are going to have it in a little room you may feel a temperature drop when you head to the kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Sweet, thanks LVG. Panasonic is the way i am going, but my know-it-all brother in-law keeps trying to tell me horror stories about Plasma and i thought i would check with the people i trust.
you lot. :Beer :tt2 :tt1 :Steel

Shawn
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Panasonic makes a nice plasma. But, seriously look at the Sony SXRD side by side before you decide. Don't get bent on projection vs plasma. My SXRD has better resolution than our plasma.

Shawn
06-12-2008, 03:03 PM
As for the extra warranty. I worked in the insurance business (Prudential) for about a year before post grad. The general rule of thumb when purchasing insurance is...only buy insurance if it covers something that would be an unreal strain...ie car, home, healthy, life, disability. Insurance companies make money for a reason thus its not wise to buy insurance on everyday products like a TV. With that said, 250 bucks is not going to break you and it might bring less anxiety to your life. But for me, I never buy extended warrantys.

ghettoscott
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
^
I am going back tonight, i will check it out. What size is your SMG? :Boobs

Shawn
06-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a 13 inch....oh you mean my TV? :mrgreen:

My SXRD is 60 inches. I would put it beside any Plasma. You do not have to worry about any screen burn issues with it. The only thing is it's not as thin as a Plasma. If space is a serious problem you might have to go with a thinner TV. Most of the techies I asked (2 years ago mind you) said the SXRD is the best bang for the buck. I went with it and didn't regret it.

LasVegasGuy
06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Sweet, thanks LVG. Panasonic is the way i am going, but my know-it-all brother in-law keeps trying to tell me horror stories about Plasma and i thought i would check with the people i trust.
you lot. :Beer :tt2 :tt1 :Steel

4 to 5 years ago I wouldn't have considered a Plasma because of "burn-in" but technology has improved so much that "burn-in" is pretty much non existent anymore. I'm with SMG on the warranty never buy them but since I never owned a Plasma before I figured what the heck for $50 a year I know I am covered. I also wouldn't get pressured into buying monster cables or a power surge protector. It's all crap. When you are working with 1's and 0's which digital picture basically is any cables will work just fine. Go with a cheap HDMI cable instead of the generic RCA inputs that come with the TV for the best possible picture. You can get a 6ft to 12 ft HDMI cable for less then $15 bucks on lineor at Wal-Mart. They will try to suck you into a $79 monster cable which is basically going to do the same thing as a cheap cable and that is transfer 1's and 0's.

ROLROC
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
i'd go with LED DLP. great picture, low price, and low maintenance. only drawback is not being a flat panel.

Shawn
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I totally agree about the cables.

Jigawatts
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
If you're going to get HDMI cables, I recommend ebay. You can usually get them
shipped for a total cost of around $10.

:brownssuck

LasVegasGuy
06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
If you're going to get HDMI cables, I recommend ebay. You can usually get them
shipped for a total cost of around $10.

:brownssuck

I recently hooked up a PS3 to my Plasma and I bought an HDMI cable on ebay for .99c and the shipping was $4.99.

Anybody want to play MLB "THE SHOW" on-line? My screen name is LVSSTEEL don't let my 1-14 record fool you. Those freakin' 10 year olds are hard to beat. :lol: :lol:

ghettoscott
06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
thanks for all the input guys. I will get the HDMI cables instead of the Monster's that my bro in-law recommended. I am going tonight to pick one out, all the info that i gathered here coupled with a couple of 40oz. should make for an enteraining evening with the Best Buy employees.

:Beer

LasVegasGuy
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
thanks for all the input guys. I will get the HDMI cables instead of the Monster's that my bro in-law recommended. I am going tonight to pick one out, all the info that i gathered here coupled with a couple of 40oz. should make for an enteraining evening with the Best Buy employees.

:Beer

Ask the best buy employee to explain how a $79 cable transfers 1's and 0's better then a cheap cable? That should get him off your back. Tell him to stick the gold, braided, whatever he is going to say where the sun don't shine. You either have a picture or you don't when it comes to digital. If you were looking to hook up the TV with an anlog picture then I would agree some cables are better then others but for digital it's pretty black and white and you don't need to spend alot of money. I think in the end you will be extremly happy with your Panasonic Plasma and cheap a$$ cables.

steelblood
06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
projection HD is certainly underrated. Sony and JVC make some nice models.

but if flat is were it's at for you, go LCD.

proudpittsburgher
06-18-2008, 09:16 AM
here's another thing to take into consideration when looking at screen size. I just went out and bought a 46 inch sonia bravia LCD. I have to say I'm very happy with it, but when I was buying it, I felt like I "settled" because of the size. I had a little bargaining back and forth with the wife, and because our living room isn't all that large, she didn't want a huge screen in that room. Plus, she wasn't exactly thrilled with my wanting a rear projection (cost effectiveness and bigger screen) taking up a lot of space depth-wise. So, like I said, I felt I settled with the 46" model. but when I got home, I realized how big that really is. When you are looking at it in the store, you are in a huge room on a huge wall. Remember, everything gets smaller when you take it into your living room. Your TV will generally look much larger in there than it did in the store. :2c You may have already known this, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Also, you can save a bundle on the floor model in most cases, and still get a full warranty that you would have already paid for anyway, so if something goes wrong, you get a new TV out of the deal. I saved a grand on mine alone.

AngryAsian
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
here's another thing to take into consideration when looking at screen size. I just went out and bought a 46 inch sonia bravia LCD. I have to say I'm very happy with it, but when I was buying it, I felt like I "settled" because of the size. I had a little bargaining back and forth with the wife, and because our living room isn't all that large, she didn't want a huge screen in that room. Plus, she wasn't exactly thrilled with my wanting a rear projection (cost effectiveness and bigger screen) taking up a lot of space depth-wise. So, like I said, I felt I settled with the 46" model. but when I got home, I realized how big that really is. When you are looking at it in the store, you are in a huge room on a huge wall. Remember, everything gets smaller when you take it into your living room. Your TV will generally look much larger in there than it did in the store. :2c You may have already known this, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Also, you can save a bundle on the floor model in most cases, and still get a full warranty that you would have already paid for anyway, so if something goes wrong, you get a new TV out of the deal. I saved a grand on mine alone.

You hit it on the head. I have a 46' LCD from Samsung and I likewise had to compromise because the wife wanted to save space in the living room and we had a little rug rat was scared that a TV on a stand would fall on her (apparently this actually happened on toddler and she read about it). She wanted one that was wall mounted so we compromised.... The 46' looks huge and has a crisper picture than any rear projection TV could generate. Love my LCD