PDA

View Full Version : Bently Retires

Chemsteel
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I just got a call from a Friend who stated that Bently announced his retire today during workouts.

He taked to bently who said the injury just took too much out of his leverage. He regrets all of the rehabilatation time but he is not the same player.

Bently looked very good running and was physically in great condition.

Jigawatts
06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Yep, here it is:

http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2 ... bentl.html (http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2008/06/browns_release_lecharles_bentl.html)

Oviedo
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Once a loser always a loser. The Browns will be a joke this year despite the media love affair. An 8-8- record at best.

Chemsteel
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Boy...That was quick. I wonder if Bently announced this yesterday with management.

The only problem with the article is his future is not in sync with what LeCahrles states.

Jigawatts
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Boy...That was quick. I wonder if Bently announced this yesterday with management.

The only problem with the article is his future is not in sync with what LeCahrles states.

From what I got out of it, he asked for his release because he wouldn't
be the immediate starter with Cleveland and wants to go to a team where all that
rehab will pay off. (playing time)

Snatch98
06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Most of the members on the one Browns board I occasionally visit for comedic relief seem to believe the Steelers are going to sign him. It's too bad he didn't rehab earlier. He's a very good center and I think he would have fit well with the Steelers. However I still have high hopes for Hartwig so I guess we'll find out. I can't imagine Bentley asking for a bunch of money who knows...

EDIT: It mentions nothing of retiring. It states that he wants to play somewhere in 08 and not be second fiddle to someone else after all the hard work he put in to get back. He does seem like a bit of a malcontent.

costanza2k1
06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
From ESPN:

Day after returning to practice, Bentley released

Associated Press

Updated: June 11, 2008, 3:01 PM ET

CLEVLEAND -- The agent for LeCharles Bentley said the center has asked for and received his release from the Cleveland Browns.

LeCharles Bentley

Bentley

Bentley practiced with the Browns on Tuesday for the first time in two years after suffering a major knee injury and a life-threatening infection. He was released on Wednesday.

Bentley's agent Jonathan Feinsod says that Bentley is not ready to be an insurance policy for the Browns' offensive line and wants to resume his career somewhere else.

The 28-year-old Bentley passed a physical and a running test Monday and was cleared to practice with the team during their three-day minicamp this week.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437734

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
He signed a big deal with the Browns a few years ago, and blew out his knee in the first practice. He's done all this rehab, and now after his second practice with the team, he asked for his release. He must have realized just how much... :brownssuck

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
He started out his career playing G and made the Pro-Bowl. Hmm...I wonder what the Steelers are thinking. He has to be an upgrade over Mahan and they both play 2 positions. I wonder if there is more than what is being reported. It is getting close to the "Blue Light Special" Steelers signing period. Unfortunately for him, he is in a bad spot at a bad time. Hard for any team to get a "guage" on his level of play with no game time. It will be interesting to see if he gets any interest. If I was to guess, It sounds like the Steelers are happy with what they have right now. Probably going to pass on the guy.

BigBen2112
06-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one that sees that he asked for his release. I dont see where he "retired." Am I missing something?!

It sounds to me like he wants to play again. I believe the article said that he didn't want to only be an insurance policy.

I'd take a flyer on him. Put him at LG and if he's healthy we have a great player. Seriously.

buckeyehoppy
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
If Bentley does sign with the Steelers (a no-risk, no-brainer move BTW), he should get a chance to start at G where he would have a better chance of preserving that knee of his. He would be an insurance policy at C, but I think the Steelers will consider him at G first if they take the flier.

buckeyehoppy
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one that sees that he asked for his release. I dont see where he "retired." Am I missing something?!

It sounds to me like he wants to play again. I believe the article said that he didn't want to only be an insurance policy.

I'd take a flyer on him. Put him at LG and if he's healthy we have a great player. Seriously.

BB:

I said as much on "SL", so you aren't alone.

As I said in the previous post: no-risk, no-brainer. And look at it this way: if the Steelers do go and get him and if there is any animosity between the Clowns and Bentley, what better way for Bentley to get back at the Clowns than to sign with the Steelers? All that out of a Cleveland boy...now that would be something!

BigBen2112
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
If Bentley does sign with the Steelers (a no-risk, no-brainer move BTW), he should get a chance to start at G where he would have a better chance of preserving that knee of his. He would be an insurance policy at C, but I think the Steelers will consider him at G first if they take the flier.

I agree...It wouldn't be a bad move...but just to make things clear...he has NOT RETIRED!

BigBen2112
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Umm...again

LeCharles Bentley asks for, receives release from Cleveland Browns
Posted by Mary Kay Cabot June 11, 2008 14:00PM
Categories: Breaking News, Browns, Impact

Updated: 2 p.m. EDT

Tracy Boulian/The Plain Dealer
LeCharles Bentley's comeback with the Browns lasted all but one practice.
Browns center LeCharles Bentley has asked for his release from the Browns and it's been granted, his agent Jonathan Feinsod said this afternoon.
"LeCharles came back to Cleveland to be in integral part of the Cleveland Browns, his hometown team,'' said Feinsod. "Through no fault of the Browns at all, they didn't know if LeCharles was going to come back or not and they moved on with their plans.

"But this is not the same team LeCharles signed with. They have commitments to other players. LeCharles is not ready to be an insurance policy at this point.''

Feinsod stressed that Bentley "did great on his physical and I know the Browns were very impressed. It wasn't anything about his health. He just feels he was not going to play the kind of role here he plans to play in 2008.''

Bentley left the building shortly after noon with a suitcase and was picked up by his mother. He had no comment at that time

"LeCharles' mindset is great,'' said Feinsod. "He had a near-death experience because of a staph infection and now he's completely healthy and ready to resume his All-Pro and Hall of Fame career.''

Feinsod said he has not started talking to other teams yet about Bentley, "but there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to play in 2008 and play at a high level.''

Bentley did say before he left the facility that he'd probably go back to Phoenix, where he has spent the bulk of the past two years rehabbing his surgically repaired left knee.

There is NOTHING in there about him retiring. Actually, on the whole Cleveland Plain Dealer site the word Retire shows up once...and that is about JONATHAN OGDEN.

Chavezz
06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Umm...again

Browns center LeCharles Bentley has asked for his release from the Browns and it's been granted, his agent Jonathan Feinsod said this afternoon.
"LeCharles came back to Cleveland to be in integral part of the Cleveland Browns, his hometown team,'' said Feinsod. "Through no fault of the Browns at all, they didn't know if LeCharles was going to come back or not and they moved on with their plans.

"But this is not the same team LeCharles signed with. They have commitments to other players. LeCharles is not ready to be an insurance policy at this point.''

Feinsod stressed that Bentley "did great on his physical and I know the Browns were very impressed. It wasn't anything about his health. He just feels he was not going to play the kind of role here he plans to play in 2008.''

Bentley left the building shortly after noon with a suitcase and was picked up by his mother. He had no comment at that time

"LeCharles' mindset is great,'' said Feinsod. "He had a near-death experience because of a staph infection and now he's completely healthy and ready to resume his All-Pro and Hall of Fame career.''

Feinsod said he has not started talking to other teams yet about Bentley, "but there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to play in 2008 and play at a high level.''

Bentley did say before he left the facility that he'd probably go back to Phoenix, where he has spent the bulk of the past two years rehabbing his surgically repaired left knee.

There is NOTHING in there about him retiring. Actually, on the whole Cleveland Plain Dealer site the word Retire shows up once...and that is about JONATHAN OGDEN.

We know.

AkronSteel
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't know about signing this guy, he has been broke for a long, long time! I mean he hasn't played in what 3-4 years? I think that the Steelers have taken enough of these injury risks this offseason, i.e. Hartwig, Hills, Sweed. I think it would just be better to stay away from Cleveland damaged goods.

Just my thoughts!

:brownssuck

Oviedo
06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
IMO I would take the chance. If he can't cut it you just cut him. I'd look at this as bring a UDFA coming to camp and seeing if you strike lightning.

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
IMO I would take the chance. If he can't cut it you just cut him. I'd look at this as bring a UDFA coming to camp and seeing if you strike lightning.

Why not? We can always get "Belichicky" (thanks Kobe for the cool new catch phrase) with him and get Brown info from him. Nothing better than acquiring a player from a divisional rival.

:brownssuck

Chemsteel
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Guys;

Don't expect LeCharles to perform at any level in 2008. I have heard that one of his problems at the time of his ruptured tendon was his penchant for power lifting and a tendon that couldn't support the muscle mass. I am not a physician or a trainer but Bentley continues to train with weights and less resistance; ala Troy.

He realizes his problems and needs to alter his training methods.

But look for some team to contact him. I don't think the Steelers are interested since the performance of Stapelton.

proudpittsburgher
06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Umm...again

We know.

:D

Chavezz
06-13-2008, 06:56 PM
:wink: