PDA

View Full Version : Burress Refusing to Practice

Oviedo
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
This guys could become the greatest WR in NFL history (he never will be) and I would not miss him one bit. He would be a cancer on the Steelers and the FO did the right thing by letting him walk.

He is refusing to practice because the Giants aren't renegotiating his contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437205

Jigawatts
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
He is refusing to practice because the Giants aren't renegotiating his contract.

Not practicing because the Giants aren't renegotiating his contract. That's a relief,
because when I first saw this I thought it was mothers day again and I forgot to
buy a gift.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
This guys could become the greatest WR in NFL history (he never will be) and I would not miss him one bit. He would be a cancer on the Steelers and the FO did the right thing by letting him walk.

:Agree

BTW, is this any different than what Hines did a few years ago? Yes or no, it doesn't change a thing ... the guy is not a good locker room dude.

Oviedo
06-11-2008, 02:14 PM
What is it about a CONTRACT that these guys don't get?

Main Entry: 1con·tract
Pronunciation: \?kän-?trakt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contractus, from contrahere to draw together, make a contract, reduce in size, from com- + trahere to draw
Date: 14th century
1 a: a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable b: a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract> c: the act of marriage or an agreement to marry
2: a document describing the terms of a contract
3: the final bid to win a specified number of tricks in bridge
4: an order or arrangement for a hired assassin to kill someone <his enemies put out a contract on him>

LasVegasGuy
06-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contractus, from contrahere to draw together, make a contract, reduce in size, from com- + trahere to draw
1 a: a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable b: a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract> c: the act of marriage or an agreement to marry
4: an order or arrangement for a hired assassin to kill someone <his enemies put out a contract on him>

I wish I could be like that with my mortgage company. Refuse to pay until they renogotiated the terms and the payment that suits my needs. It's a delusional world these players live in. You signed it, you honor it. It doesn't get that much easier then that. If anyone should be wanting to renogotiate their contract it's David Tyree for catching that ball off his head so guys like Burress and Strahan can bask in the glory.

SteelerNation1
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
If he had Ward's heart, he would retire with many, many, many receiving records. Instead, he'll go down as an above average wr...that never made a pro bowl.

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Not practicing because the Giants aren't renegotiating his contract. That's a relief,
because when I first saw this I thought it was mothers day again and I forgot to
buy a gift.

:lol: :Clap :P

Ozey74
06-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Burress = :Binky

costanza2k1
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Happy for your Superbowl win but you just got paid fool...want to change the rules of the contract again?

:moon

Iron Shiek
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM

This is what happens with unions and collective bargaining opens up these opportunities. A guy sees someone as good as him or worse getting paid more than him, he is going to try to get more, and the situation the NFL (or any pro league) is in allows for this to happen. Sorry, but that's how it is. And it sucks.

AngryAsian
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Talk about a guy with little to know character. I'm so glad this malignancy is off our team and can do no harm. I guess he was absent when they were passing out work ethic and integrity. He's the one individual that I wasn't happy for last year when the Giants won it all. What a waste of supreme talent.

Flasteel
06-11-2008, 07:30 PM

On one hand, it's hard to fault the players for not honoring contracts. NFL teams are guilty of doing the exact same thing and have always let players go before their contract expires once they get injured or are no longer playing up to expectations. Until contracts become guaranteed by the team, then they aren't worth dick.

However, this is also symptomatic of the greed and out of control egos that plague all professional sports. Players don't look at their salaries in terms of just compensation for services rendered, they look at it from the perspective of who makes more. Every time a new contract is signed it pushes the bar higher and higher for everyone in the league and a player will publicly whine or hold out if their team doesn't rip up a perfectly good deal, just because some other player at their position has redefined the top salary. If a team refuses to re-do a deal or match some crazy salary that was the result of a bidding war, then said player cries disrespect...please. This is exactly what happened with Alan Faneca and I couldn't be happier that his sorry ass left...everything he accomplished as a Steeler is tainted in my mind.

The NFL would be well served to guarantee these contracts and force players to start honoring the terms of theirs, or they just don't get paid. They also better start doing something about these ridiculous rookie contracts at the top of the draft. I love football and don't want to imagine life without my Steelers, but the greed exhibited by too many of these players, owners, agents, or anyone else trying to jam their hand in the cookie jar, is nauseating.

stlrz d
06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
This is why it doesn't bother me that he left.

But of course if I had to put gas in truck the size of his these days I'd want more money too!

Mr Smartmonies
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM

If Alan Faneca was Black you would have called him the N word for the way he acted last year.

FYI , Burress extremely important to ELi Manning and this is a great Business move.

Ozey74
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
He's the one individual that I wasn't happy for last year when the Giants won it all.

Like you, I wasn't happy for him either.

I do recall hearing Hines saying on the Best Damn Sports Show Period during the Super Bowl week that he was pulling for the G-Men cuz he wanted Plax to get his ring. It's hard for me to understand why that would be his reason for wanting the Giants to win.

I have a few of prima donna, ex-coworkers that have moved on to other employers. If I were to hear that things for them aren't going so smooth, I think I would want to giggle and think to myself "serves you right. had you stayed where you were at and done your job, maybe you would of had some success" :2c

steelcityrules!!
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM

If Alan Faneca was Black you would have called him the N word for the way he acted last year.

FYI , Burress extremely important to ELi Manning and this is a great Business move.

plax thought he was king shheeit when he left the burgh, and the giants paid him well. His agent and him should have mustered for more money when the deal was being done. while i do agree with him that he is paid less than the elite WR's, it's not a gross differential like wards situation a few years back.

Faneca was a big baby last year, he deserved how he got treated, and neither faneca nor burress vocalized a true willing to negotiate and settle to remain a steeler, because being a steeler wasn't the most important thing to them... ward desperately wanted to remain in the black and gold and I belive his hold-out session was the last thing he wanted to do. burress couldn't wait to leave, and faneca wanted cold hard cash.

us_steelinfrance
06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
[quote=Oviedo]This guys could become the greatest WR in NFL history (he never will be) and I would not miss him one bit. He would be a cancer on the Steelers and the FO did the right thing by letting him walk.

plax thought he was king shheeit when he left the burgh, and the giants paid him well. His agent and him should have mustered for more money when the deal was being done. while i do agree with him that he is paid less than the elite WR's, it's not a gross differential like wards situation a few years back.

Faneca was a big baby last year, he deserved how he got treated, and neither faneca nor burress vocalized a true willing to negotiate and settle to remain a steeler, because being a steeler wasn't the most important thing to them... ward desperately wanted to remain in the black and gold and I belive his hold-out session was the last thing he wanted to do. burress couldn't wait to leave, and faneca wanted cold hard cash.[/quote:19q0igez]

What you said. :Clap

Oviedo
06-12-2008, 08:26 AM

No I wouldn't have, but I will call you an idiot for assuming such. Read the board from last year and I ripped Faneca from Day 1. Nice try grinding that axe.

Do you have any statistics to justify your statement?

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Where did this come from? Your comment is not only inflammatory but has nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Either take your personal vendettas elsewhere or discuss the topic like a rational adult.... this has nothing to do with race. Business move? If you feel you'd like to get paid, going public to the media is not the venue for your business discussions. Burress is a classless and dishonorable heel, just like his greedy little putz of an agent, DR.

NC Steeler Fan
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Where did this come from? Your comment is not only inflammatory but has nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Either take your personal vendettas elsewhere or discuss the topic like a rational adult.... this has nothing to do with race. Business move? If you feel you'd like to get paid, going public to the media is not the venue for your business discussions. Burress is a classless and dishonorable heel, just like his greedy little putz of an agent, DR.

Gotta agree with this 100%.

That's some pretty weak chit to put out there dude...takes away
from legitimate concerns about this subject when they do occur.

Oviedo
06-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks AS. Doesn't bother me that a poster has an issue with me at all. back to what is relevant, my point was one of ethics and integrity. It is not a business move to fail to honor a contract. It is an unethical decision on the part of an individual. As previously stated, none of us get to not honor our mortgage contracts, car payment contracts, terms of enlistment in the armed forces, etc. Particularly, in the latter case we put people in jail, but rich athletes don't have to honor their word or commitments.

You can't come back and say the owners don't either because if the owners cut a player it is because the contracts are not guaranteed by a mutaulaly agreed to contract between the NFL and the players union. That argument to justify the lack of ethics on the part of specific players doesn't fly.

MeetJoeGreene
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM

When you say things like that, it makes you sound like Mr DumbMonies. :roll: :loser

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 01:16 PM
When you say things like that, it makes you sound like Mr DumbMonies. :roll: :loser

100% :Agree

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
A few thoughts:

1) Might turn out to be a good business move (it worked with Hines!), what's the downside from Plexiglass's point of view - like the Giants are going to fire him? The financial incentives are there for him to do this, and that is what it is all about in this game ...

2) Somebody mentioned earlier that the players have a moral right to sit out like this because management won't honor the contracts if they get hurt. Is that true? I'm guessing the contracts are clearly written that management has the right to terminate at any time for injury.

If the players have a beef with that concept, they need to get their lawyers to write better contracts!

3) The whole episode highlights a big downside with sports nowadays, IMO ... there's too much money involved. I don't think anyone can reasonably say the days were better when players got paid so little they needed to get other jobs in the off season (or during the season!). But there's too much temptation to act unethically with so much $$ floating around - referees on the take (NBA), steroids (MLB http://misunderestimation.com/wp-conten ... tJuice.jpg (http://misunderestimation.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/GotJuice.jpg) , ? NFL), hiring thugs to play on your team (Pacman Jones, Chris Henry, Jeramy Stevens), point shaving ... it's all because there's a huge profit to be made from manipulating pro (even college) sports outcomes.

Solution? I don't think there is one in isolation ... it's sort of a symptom, not the disease itself, the real problem is where our society places its values.

I'm guessing at one level or another a lot of us agree, and that's why we like the Steelers - emblematic of a blue-collar, hard work ethic that sort of stands out today.

Just my :2c

RussBII
06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
As long as this tactic works, you see behavior like this...

I was in a situation a few years ago where I was easily as good at my job as Plax is at his. I was pretty underpaid compared to other folks in the same position. If i thought not working would have actually gotten me paid, I would've considered it... But that doesn't work in the real world. The difference being that there are probably thousands of folks who could've done that job as good as i, how many starting WR's are as good as Plax.

Shawn
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
There are many people who negotiate contracts mid contract in many lines of work. For instance if a head hunter finds a skilled person a new job with significantly higher pay...the person can renegotiate with his current employer using the offered contract as leverage. Why should the NFL be any different? I'm not saying I like it but this is a business and it is about money.

RussBII
06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
There are many people who negotiate contracts mid contract in many lines of work. For instance if a head hunter finds a skilled person a new job with significantly higher pay...the person can renegotiate with his current employer using the offered contract as leverage. Why should the NFL be any different? I'm not saying I like it but this is a business and it is about money.

Hrmmm but to do this smartly you need to have another offer on the table.

Also, I really doubt that you can get away w/ NOT working at your current job while they "think about" it.

Shawn
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM

Also, I really doubt that you can get away w/ NOT working at your current job while they "think about" it.

A little different situation because the rules are a bit different. Plax can't just quit his job...the Giants own the rights to Plaxicos ability to play ball. This is his only leverage to get a contract he deems worthy of his play.

RussBII
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

A little different situation because the rules are a bit different. Plax can't just quit his job...the Giants own the rights to Plaxicos ability to play ball. This is his only leverage to get a contract he deems worthy of his play.

Fair enough. I still don't like it. I don't like the whole "holding out" thing... but you know, I don't live in that world, so it is tough to judge/cast stones accurately.

I still say that it if ONE owner stands up and says "Ok fine, you don't play or get paid, and we're retaining your rights so you can't go anywhere else" the whole situation would change.

That will never happen though because it punishes the whole team, and who the hell is gonna want to play for that team?

Altho, i'm going to stop posting until you guys pay me 3 bucks per post... Just be happy this isn't Les demanding this... we'd be broke... or he'd demand something weird...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Fair enough. I still don't like it. I don't like the whole "holding out" thing... but you know, I don't live in that world, so it is tough to judge/cast stones accurately.

I still say that it if ONE owner stands up and says "Ok fine, you don't play or get paid, and we're retaining your rights so you can't go anywhere else" the whole situation would change.

That will never happen though because it punishes the whole team, and who the hell is gonna want to play for that team?
Altho, i'm going to stop posting until you guys pay me 3 bucks per post... Just be happy this isn't Les demanding this... we'd be broke... or he'd demand something weird...

Didn't something like this happen with some Bears player a few years back, and he had to sit out a whole lot (the whole season)?

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
... or he'd demand something weird...

Didn't something like this happen with some Bears player a few years back, and he had to sit out a whole lot (the whole season)?[/quote]

That's what Chad is going to try and do.
The gist is this... players feel that if they are NOT living up to their contract (ie. playing to well and thus living up to their contracts) then owners have terminated their contracts, so conversely the players feel that if they surpassing their contracts with phenomenal play, then they should in turn be able to do it as well.... opting for a more lucrative contract.

Sounds fair, but its how the players go about "renegotiating" these contracts that I disagree with. I keep hearing these catch phrases like "its the NFL way of doing business" so maybe my perspective is skewed because I don't live in that world and don't have all the facts. The bottom line is that Burress doesn't strike me as a person who has great business savvy nor the ability to communicate. So all his negotiations would probably go this route.

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I believe the Steelers have done that in the past, forcing Mike Merriweather to sit out the entire 1988 season. Of course, we didn't have the free agency system then that we have now. At least they were able to get a 1st round pick for him from Minnesota after the year long holdout (then again, I think that pick turned into Tom Ricketts, so it turns out that we didn't get much after all).

Mr Smartmonies
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM

Burress missed a mothers day workout.

Faneca called the rooney's out in Public and made it a spectical in front of the not only the media, steeler nation, but also the national press. He missed all the spring workouts even though they were trying to implement a new blocking system with a brand new head coach. He also ripped the rooneys for not hiring Grimm.

Burress gets called the thug. And Faneca gets called classy by fans 9who wrote into Post gazette a couple months ago) and media (bob pompeini just about a week ago) and many more that I am not mentioning.

sorry but I stand by what I say. I am right and you are wrong. And I really don't care what you think. Deal with the truth.

Kipper
06-13-2008, 10:37 PM
sorry but I stand by what I say. I am right and you are wrong. And I really don't care what you think. Deal with the truth.

Trying to take over Mark Madden from Incest Nation in Uniontown, I see. There's a good reason most people dont like you and don't take you seriously.

Mr Smartmonies
06-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Trying to take over Mark Madden from Incest Nation in Uniontown, I see. There's a good reason most people dont like you and don't take you seriously.

By the why Kipper How did Detroit and their Shots on goal work out for you in the finals?
Did Therrion still plan to be outshot 15 times a game? lololololollol
You shouldn't have run off to that other site. Be a man and admit just maybe that the guy who does this for a living knows a little more than you do. :)
2008 STANLEY CUP FINALS PREDICTION

If the NHL can’t market this series, then it may be time for the league to forget marketing all together. In just two days, perhaps the greatest collection of talent that we have ever seen will be displayed on the ice in Joe Louis arena. The Red wings come into this series as the leagues most dominant team. They had 115 points on the season as well as the best won/loss record. But their dominance was clear and deep. Take a look at the following stats that the Wings compiled this year.

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL IN SHOTS PER GAME

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL IN FEWEST SHOTS ALLOWED

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL IN SHOTS ON GOAL DIFFERENTIAL

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL 5 ON 5 PLAY GOALS FOR AND AGAINST

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL FOR WIN PERCENTAGE AFTER LEADING IN 1ST PERIOD

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL FOR FACE OFF WIN PERCENTAGE

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL FOR WIN PERCENTAGE IN GAMES WHERE THEY SCORED 1ST

They are Ranked #1 in the NHL FOR WIN PERCENTAGE WHEN OUTSHOOTING OPPONENT

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL FOR GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE DIFFERENTIAL

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL FOR THE BEST +/- OF ANY TEAM AT HOME

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL FOR THE BEST +/- OF ANY TEAM ON THE ROAD

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL WITH 115 POINTS ON THE SEASON

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL FOR BEST RECORD VS SAGARIN TOP TEN TEAMS END OF REG

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL PLAYOFFS IN SHOTS ON GOAL PER GAME

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL PLAYOFFS IN SHOTS ON GOAL DIFFERENTIAL

THEY ARE RANKED #2 IN THE NHL PLAYOFFS IN 5 ON 4 GOALS

THEY ARE RANKED #1 IN THE NHL PLAYOFFS IN MOST SHORT HANDED GOALS

THEY ARE FIRST TEAM TO REACH CONF FINALS.

About the only stat the Redwings are not dominant in is shooting percentage. But they get so many shots per game, it doesn’t really matter. The Power play is another area where they are somewhat average. But that’s not a problem because they were the best 5 on 5 team in the league this season. The Red wings are a dynasty. They are a team that has 6 players who won a cup together in 2001. They have made the playoffs 17 straight years. The Redwings have been the best team from the start of the season and they enter the Stanley cup finals with a 12-4 record. But the stat I’d like to focus on most is shots on goal differential. The following is a list of all Stanley cup champions going back to 1990. The list will show you that we haven’t had a Stanley cup winner with a regular season ending shots on goal differential average that was in the NEGATIVE since the 1990 season.

1990 Pens 90-91 = 30-34 = -4*** (Last time a team finished regular season with Negative Shots on goal differential , yet still went on to win cup)

1991 pens 91-92 = 31-30 = +1

1992 pens 92-93 = 34-32 = +2

1993 Montreal 93-94 = 32-30 = +2

1994 New Jersey 94-95 = 30 - 25 = +5

1995 Colorado 95-96 = 32 - 28 = +4

1996 Detroit 96-97 = 33 - 25 = +8

1997 DETROIT 97-98 = 30-25 = +5

1998 DALLAS 98 99 = 27 - 23 = +4

1999 NEW JERSEY 99-00 = 32 - 25 = +7

2000 COLORADO = 00-01 = 29 - 25 = +4

2001 DETROIT 01-02 = 30 -26 = +4

2002 NEW JERSEY 02-03 = 31 - 23 = +8

2004 TAMPA BAY 03-04 = 30 -25 = +5

2005 CAROLINA 05-06 = 31 - 30 = +1

2006 ANAHEIM 06-07 = 30 - 26 = +4

2007/2008 Redwings +11 2007/2008 Penguins -2.0

Take a look at the mighty Red wings. I went back years and couldn’t find Shots on goal differential that was better than +11. Penguin’s center and 20 yr vet Gary Roberts said, “Playoff hockey isn’t about fancy goals, it’s about getting pucks to the net.” Roberts is spot on. Take a look at the west conf finals that just took place. The Stars had the top shooting percentage in the league this year at 11%. They also had Turco in net, a superb goalie. But the Redwings just ran rough shot over the Stars. Go back last year to the playoffs. The Sabres had the best record mainly due to their 12% shooting percentage. But they finished the regular season with a -1.5 shots on goal differential. They won the first two rounds of the playoffs but met the Senators who finished with a +4. They got drilled in 5 games. While the sabres and Stars possessed a great shooting percentage, it just didn’t hold up in the playoffs when push came to shove. So here we have a redwings team that is something like 21-8 against the Sagarin Top ten teams. They had the leagues best record and most points. They had the best plus/minus at home and on the road of any team. They were the best 5 on 5 team in the league. They were ranked #1 with the best face off percentage. They have the most short handed goals so far in the playoffs. And they have one of the all time great shots on goal differential averages we have ever seen. The Redwings are team that is extremely talented defensively that simply does not allow many shots. And once they get the puck, they have numerous skill players that can maintain possession better then any team in the league. The Pittsburgh Penguins are the leagues next dynasty. They hit the jackpot a few years ago when they drafted Sidney Crosby, Gino Malkin, Jordan Staal , and Marc Andre Fleury in successive years. They also have a slew of other #1 picks that finally have reached their potential. While none of them have the star power of the three mentioned above , but the Penguins would not be in this position if it weren’t for guys like Ryan Malone, & Brooks Orpik. The Penguins lose Gary Roberts, Eaton, Fleury, Crosby for an extended period of time this season. The Penguins appeared to be in major trouble. But two things happened. Backup goalie Ty Conklin came in and faced 31 shots a game and led the league in best save percentage. One game in particular against the Islanders, he stopped 50 out of 52 shots. The other thing that happened was that Evengi Malkin became one of the best players in the world during Crosby’s absence. He would not let the Penguins lose. He and Conklin would not let the Penguins lose. They were something like 13-4 at one point without Crosby. That is hard to figure. This showed how deep the Penguins were however. If you had any doubt before, there was little doubt afterwards. Crosby would eventually return, but the Penguins were not yet at a championship level. That came at the trade deadline when they traded for Sniper Hossa and defensive players Dupuis and Gill. What took everyone by surprise is that they actually got three defensive players in that trade. Hossa has been an astonishingly great two way player for the Penguins. It took a while for Hossa and Crosby to get on the same page. That didn’t happen until they were playing together on a regular basis at the start of the playoffs. But the defense was noticeably better by seasons end. They gave up 31 shots a game for the entire season. But the Penguins defense only allowed 26 shots a game in the final 10 games. This was a sign they were ready for playoff hockey. In fact, if you look at the shots on goal differential rankings I posted above, you will see the Penguins finished with a -2.0 by seasons end. But the Penguins were a different team by season’s end. I say that literally. They returned one of the best players in world to the line up in Sidney Crosby. Crosby missed about 2 months of the season. Hossa wasn’t on the team until the trade deadline. And even Hossa missed some games with injury. Defensive players Gill and Dupuis were also not with the team until the after the trade deadline. Defensive player Gary Roberts missed nearly the entire season but would return for start of Ottawa series. Penguins had a different roster by seasons end. Therefore those stats simply do not apply to this team. In fact, the ironic part of all of this, is that 2007/2008 Penguins resemble the 1990-1991 Penguins who finished the season with a -4.0 shots on goal differential but became a championship team at the trade deadline when they got Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson. In the playoffs , the Penguins have a +5 shots on goal differential. They are getting 32 shots a game and allowing 27. This is a 7 point difference from the regular season. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that they played Ottawa in the first round. Ottawa had the worst record in the league since January. They were injury riddled and simply did not resemble the same team that started the season so impressively. But never the less the Penguins have made important strides in those Shots on goal area.

TALE OF THE TAPE
Let’s take a look at how these two teams matchup statistically. Here are the playoffs stats so far.

Offensive Shots on Goal
Wings = 36
Pens = 32

Defensive Shots on Goal
Wings= 23
Pens = 27

Shooting Percentage
Wings = 9.2%
Pens = 11.0%

Shooting Percentage Allowed
Wings = 8.2%
Pens = 6.7%

FACE Off win percentage
Wings = 55%
Pens = 46%

Power play conversion percentage
Wings = 21.5%
Pens = 24.5 %

Power play conversion percentage allowed defensively
Wings = 12.7%
Pens = 13.0%

Shorts Handed Goals scored
Wings = 5
pens = 1

Shorts Handed Goals allowed
Wings = 0
Pens = 1

5 on 5 goals for and against Ratio
Wings = 1.48
Pens = 1.71

Number of 1st Period Goals
Wings = 23
Pens = 14

Goals for and against Differential
Wings = +1.50
Pens = +1.78

Goalie save Percentage
Osgood = 93.1%
Fleury = 93.8%

Win Percentage when Leading after 1st Period
Wings = 91%
Pens = 100%

Win Percentage when Leading after 2nd Period
Wings = 100%
Pens = 100%

Average Power rating of opponents played in the playoffs
Wings = 3.4
Pens = 3.0

When looking at the playoff stats, a few things stand out to me. The first is Face off percentage. The Wings have a clear edge in this category. Which means, the Penguins power play and possibly their power play kill will be affected. When they are on the Power play they will lose precious minutes chasing the puck down the ice after the Wings win the face off. The other issue is that Fleury will most likely see more shots in this series. If the Wings are winning face off’s on their power plays, they can use their incredible puck possession skills to keep the puck in the Pittsburgh defensive zone, thus getting more shots on goal. How will Fleury handle this? He’s been super solid in the playoffs so far. But he’s going to get tested by the red wings. Thomas Holdstrom will play a key role in front of the net.

The other stat I notice is Goals scored in the 1st period. Take a look at the win percentage of both teams when they are ahead after the 1st and 2nd period. Another words you’re not going to make a living in this series if you fall behind. Both teams have developed a system to maintain the leads and suffocate opponents. The Redwings have scored 9 more 1st period goals in the playoffs. I’d also like to point out that against the Rangers, the Penguins were outshot on the road in games 3 and 4 by a total of 27 shots. In fact the Penguins numbers drop off more on the road than do the Red wings when they are the road team. Consider that the Redwings have the best record in the league when they outshoot the opponent. But they also have the worst record in the league when they get out shot. Therefore, the Penguins getting outshot in NY by so much is very troubling. Not winning face off’s , getting out shot, against a team that routinely jumps out quickly in the 1st period and then slams the door once they get the lead is not something you want if you’re the Penguins in Detroit. I think Detroit’s experience and ability to play much better on the road then do the Penguins, can play a huge role here. I think Detroit is a strong play in a game 1 at home. Below are the Shots on goal differential averages for each team on the road.

Wings 33 – 26 = +7 Shots on goal differential average in the playoffs on the road.

Pens 30 – 30 = 0 shots on goal differential in the playoffs on the road

The Wings also have 4 Short handed goals on the road. The Pens have none. Those 4 short handed goals on the road for the Wings, tells me that home teams are most likely trying to put on a show for the hometown Fans and have lost their discipline and concentration against a great Defense. This is something to watch for with a young team like the Penguins when they comeback home for game 3.

List of things each team has going for them in this series.

Detroit

1) Experience

2) Better Shots on goal differential average

3) Face off percentage

4) Better play on the road

5) Home ice advantage/ 1st period scoring. (last 9 champs, had home ice)

Penguins

1) Shooting percentage

2) Shooting percentage allowed

3) 3 deep lines for Detroit to deal with

4) More physical of the two teams

5) Coaching (this guy does nothing wrong)

Conclusion
I think the longer this series goes, the more it favors the Penguins. I think if the Penguins can be no worse than 2-2 after 4 games, they could very well go on to win the series. I think the wings might be a shock to the system for the Penguins in game 1. This is easily the best team the Pens have faced. The Wings are super quick and extremely polished. It might take a while before the Penguins figure them out. The wings will have their issues to deal with too. But remember, Dallas had a better shooting percentage than the penguins. They will be prepared.

Prediction

I would hate to see the penguins lose in the finals. But at the beginning of the season, I predicted the Penguins to make it to the finals and lose. I’m going to stick with that prediction for better or worse. I just think the Penguins have to tighten the screws on little things like winning face off’s. Games like this tend to expose your weaknesses if you have any. Losing face off’s and giving up a short handed goal can cost you a critical game at home and eventually you lose the series because of it. I also worry about Crosby and Malkin a bit in this series. They both have the tendency to do a little too much fancy passing. You just can’t do that against this lightning quick defense. That’s why I like Detroit early in this series. Pens will have to figure things like that out. Finally, I am interested to see how Crosby and Fleury play . Its possible Fleury could finally have a bad series. He’s going to see shots. More shots than he is used to seeing . It will also be interesting to see how Crosby plays. The Rangers were a poor mans Red wings. Crosby did not play well against the Rangers. He always plays well against the flyers. So anointing him after the Flyers series is being short sighted in my opinion. It excused him of his poor series against the Rangers. The rangers anticipated many of his passes and if they weren’t such a poor shooting team, they would have capitalized more often on those turnovers. The red wings are a cerebral bunch. Not to mention an ultra fast defense. Crosby is going to need to look for his shot just as much as the pass in my opinion.

Oh well , I hope I’m wrong. Wings in six games.

I guess it's too bad you didn't take me serious. Maybe you should next time.

AngryAsian
06-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Please enlighten me on what part of the noted statement you made to a poster is "the truth?" I wasn't refuting your "opinion".... you are entitled to it, but how can you say that if a certain situation would happen another individual would react by calling him the "N-Word?" How is that truth... truth is fact.... the below is speculation. That was my question to you... thus the "Where did this come from" comment highlighted in green.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2008, 11:09 AM
[quote=Mr Smartmonies]

Please enlighten me on what part of the noted statement you made to a poster is "the truth?" I wasn't refuting your "opinion".... you are entitled to it, but how can you say that if a certain situation would happen another individual would react by calling him the "N-Word?" How is that truth... truth is fact.... the below is speculation. That was my question to you... thus the "Where did this come from" comment highlighted in green.

If Alan Faneca was Black you would have called him the N word for the way he acted last year.[/quote:1rzp40mb]

I think what he was trying to say that the boy in this picture grew up to be Alan Faneca.

http://www.incompetentpictures.com/sitefiles/Niggar%20Family.jpg

:P :shock: :lol: