PDA

View Full Version : OTA Progress Article

Oviedo
06-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Do you just get the feeling that regardless of what is being said that Kemo will not be the man at LG?

Pleased with their progress
Friday, June 6, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers have just three more practices before OTAs come to an end next week and head coach Mike Tomlin is pleased with the progress to date.

“They are going well,” said Tomlin after Thursday’s session. “We are having a productive off-season and that is what we are here for. We are here to get better individually and collectively and I think we are doing that.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who admitted he is looking forward to the offseason program coming to an end so they get time to rest before training camp starts in late July, is also happy with the way things have gone.

“We’re having a good time,” said Tomlin. “I think we are doing well. We are learning and getting better.”

Guard Chris Kemoeatu has a real challenge ahead of him – and it’s not just a battle for a starting spot on the offensive line, but instead taking over for seven-time Pro Bowler Alan Faneca.

Kemoeatu seems to have the inside track on the job, as long as he plays to the level all think he can. But the one thing he has to beware of is trying to do too much as he works to replace Faneca.

“The biggest thing is he doesn’t come in and try to fill Alan’s shoes,” said Roethlisberger. “That’s not the way you do it. You don’t try and fill someone’s shoes. You come in and do what you do. Chris is a great offensive lineman and I think he is going to do great. I have a lot of confidence in him. I know he has confidence in himself. “

Kemoeatu, who was hampered some during OTAs with a hamstring injury, has been praised by teammates and coaches for his knowledge and the few errors he makes.

“As I get to know him he has a better understanding of what is going on,” said Tomlin. “He doesn’t make mistakes. The more you watch him the more you realize he doesn’t make mistakes. He knows what is going on. He is a big, powerful man.”

He isn’t a big talker but instead someone who likes to let his actions speak louder than his words.

"All I can do is come to work every day, watch film and practice to the best of my ability and just try to be me,” said Kemoeatu.

Having gone through OTAs and off-season workouts Roethlisberger has a better understanding of Bruce Arians’ offense, but that doesn’t mean things will be perfect. Roethlisberger said he expects less sacks this year, after getting tackled 47 times last year, but they won’t be eliminated.

"I'm still going to get (sacked), because I'm still going to try to scramble and make plays," said Roethlisberger. "You look at all the big plays we've made, and then you take the sacks. You kind of have to live with it."

Rookie Limas Sweed got some work on special teams during OTAs where the coaches think he can be an asset because of his size, speed and long arms.

"Coach (Bob Ligashesky) said he likes me coming off the edge, using my speed to block punts," said Sweed. "I never did special teams in my life until I came here, and I actually like it."

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Sweed just keeps saying the right things for a young guy. I remember his interview at his private workout which I was impressed with. It changed my opinion of him because I though the guy was soft and using his wrist as an excuse why he couldn't workout at the combine or limited his all-star practices. To say "I actually like it" when talking about ST is a smart thing. I know you could say "He has to say that." or "What else could he say." But sometimes young guys with alot of confidence get sour when they are asked to play ST as a rookie because all they think they should be doing is playing their position. He is very "Upbeat" and welcoming any role that puts him on the field. I hope he is rewarded for his efforts because he sounds like he wants to work and succeed early!

As far as Kemo, sounds like they are setting him up for failure. Everytime reports from camp "Fluffs" a guy, he ends up watching from the sideline come opening day. I remember for years it sounded like Alonzo Jackson rushed the passer like Kevin Greene in practice...Come gameday he looked more like Tom Green!!! I hope he is the answer but don't "ZO" the guy!!!

Oviedo
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I agree about Sweed. I will be the first to admit that leading up to the draft I was not a fan because of his injury, but the kid is forcing me to reassess my uninformed opinion. He seems like a hard working, good charater player that fits well in the Steeler mold. The biggest positive about him I'm really liking is he will put Nate Washington on the bench :D

Snatch98
06-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I agree about Sweed. I will be the first to admit that leading up to the draft I was not a fan because of his injury, but the kid is forcing me to reassess my uninformed opinion. He seems like a hard working, good charater player that fits well in the Steeler mold. The biggest positive about him I'm really liking is he will put Nate Washington on the bench :D

Whats wrong with Nate? I'm actually a big Washington fan. Sure he's dropped balls in the past but he's made some HUGE plays in the past as well. He has a huge vert and does get open. I too hope that Sweed steps in at the 3 spot but I don't dislike Nate and love him at the 4.

SteelHoss
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
hear ya NKy but sometimes you have that bad feeling inside. I guess Ben getting no time to pass last year left a lot of bad feelings inside of me and I'm just not optimistic about the line situation. Now if it's Hartwig and it line works out, it will be a pleasant surprise for me...I haven't lost faith, I'm just freaking nervous.