PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks the running backs

anger 82&95
06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
FWP is 13th
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... %3d3422768 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3422768&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3422768)

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
FWP is 13th
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... %3d3422768 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3422768&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3422768)

Gosh if Ronnie Brown could stay healthy he'd be top ten easily. With that crap line he was still ballin' at the beginning of the year.

Steelhere10
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
i stopped reading when i saw C Portis, M Lynch and Willis Mc. ranked above Willie not to mention Jones Drew behind those cats.

AngryAsian
06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
How could you rate Gore, Portis and McGahee over Willie. Just garbage.

BURGH86STEEL
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

I agree.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
well, they're all from the U.... (running back U)

soon, they'll be doing the same thing (again) with LBs from PSU. :P

stlrz d
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Some folks would argue that according to some stat website that Willie is like 46th best in the league.

I wouldn't be one of them.

MeetJoeGreene
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM

They have vision. Willie doesn't.
They have good instincts. Willie doesn't.

There... feels like home :D :D

SteelHoss
06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Some of these writers are really beginning to crack me up this off season. :lol: Where they come up with some of this stuff we'll never know. They'll write anything to get a pay check. :lol:

Starlifter
06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
arguing about ANYTHING from ESPN is like wrestling a pig. It's a whole lot of effort that accomplishes nothing. ESPN has been useless since around 1995. I don't watch the channel. I don't read the magazine. I don't surf the website. They are the national enquirer of sports. I have no doubt that when they did their 'ranking' the editors looked at it and said "this is too obvious. we need to change some names around or folks won't get upset and talk about it". ESPN would rank Jamal Lewis #1 if they thought it would sell issues.

AngryAsian
06-04-2008, 10:21 PM

I never even noticed that they were all University of Miami products. We'll see how much this ranking placates into the season. With our backfield, we're going to running over people. :twisted:

papillon
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
arguing about ANYTHING from ESPN is like wrestling a pig. It's a whole lot of effort that accomplishes nothing. ESPN has been useless since around 1995. I don't watch the channel. I don't read the magazine. I don't surf the website. They are the national enquirer of sports. I have no doubt that when they did their 'ranking' the editors looked at it and said "this is too obvious. we need to change some names around or folks won't get upset and talk about it". ESPN would rank Jamal Lewis #1 if they thought it would sell issues.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/pghfan7/agree.gif

and

http://websitetoolbox.com/images/boards/smilies/thumb.gif

Pappy

AngryAsian
06-05-2008, 01:09 AM

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/pghfan7/agree.gif

and

http://websitetoolbox.com/images/boards/smilies/thumb.gif

Pappy

I think you are going a littel happy with the smiley's, pappy. :P

Starlifter
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
lol, i don't mind.......... :D

steelcityrules!!
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
sorry guys, but If we're talking healthy RB's I would take portis over willie.
not sure if that factored into the rankings or not.

ROLROC
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM

agreed about portis. and IMO gore is the 3rd best all-around back when healthy (behind LT and sjack). gore is going to have a HUGE season under martz.

ROLROC
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

hey 43...er...MJG, you may be 1/2-kidding but these are valid points. gore and portis are better backs than willie when healthy.

frankthetank1
06-06-2008, 11:41 AM

a healthy clinton portis i guess that would be similar to a dominant sean mahan huh?

i agree with the rankings being garbage all those mentioned rb's from the u arent as good as willie. i also thought peterson being #2 is a bit high. i know he had the best rookie year for any rb ever but it was only one season

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM

agreed about portis. and IMO gore is the 3rd best all-around back when healthy (behind LT and sjack). gore is going to have a HUGE season under martz.

I'm a big Gore fan, but I worry about him under Martz. Martz didn't run the ball AT ALL last year in Detroit. Marshall Faulk put up big numbers with Martz in St. Louis, but he was a different kind of back, with a lot of his damage done by catching passes out of the backfield. I just don't see Martz wanting to pound the rock (but he may have to, though, since the QB's and WR's in San Fran are well below average). They also may have to give up on the run in the 2nd halves of games, since I expect them to be playing from behind more often than not. I also wonder what becomes of the big investment that team made in Vernon Davis, since Martz has never really been a big proponent of involving the TE in the passing game all that much.

ROLROC
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm a big Gore fan, but I worry about him under Martz. Martz didn't run the ball AT ALL last year in Detroit. Marshall Faulk put up big numbers with Martz in St. Louis, but he was a different kind of back, with a lot of his damage done by catching passes out of the backfield. I just don't see Martz wanting to pound the rock (but he may have to, though, since the QB's and WR's in San Fran are well below average). They also may have to give up on the run in the 2nd halves of games, since I expect them to be playing from behind more often than not. I also wonder what becomes of the big investment that team made in Vernon Davis, since Martz has never really been a big proponent of involving the TE in the passing game all that much.
while no marshall, gore was already getting touches out of the backfield in the passing game pre-martz. i see his rec #s and TDs increasing this season. this will benefit his/SF running game IMO. if he stays healthy, gore will be a beast. smith is the wildcard...

AngryAsian
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
How Gore exploded out for SF. This is how Mendenhall will be for us this year.

steelcityrules!!
06-08-2008, 09:43 AM

a healthy clinton portis i guess that would be similar to a dominant sean mahan huh?

i agree with the rankings being garbage all those mentioned rb's from the u arent as good as willie. i also thought peterson being #2 is a bit high. i know he had the best rookie year for any rb ever but it was only one season

not really. A healthy portis is a potential 2000 yard RB who can run between the tackles and take it to the house in the open field.

a dominant mahan would mean switching him back to OG and sending him to the CFL.

AngryAsian
06-10-2008, 01:47 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":e2f6i3u4]sorry guys, but If we're talking healthy RB's I would take portis over willie.

not really. A healthy portis is a potential 2000 yard RB who can run between the tackles and take it to the house in the open field.

a dominant mahan would mean switching him back to OG and sending him to the CFL.[/quote:e2f6i3u4]

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is pure comedy right there. ROTFLMAO!

BIG FAN
06-10-2008, 04:11 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":2l9suim7]sorry guys, but If we're talking healthy RB's I would take portis over willie.

a dominant mahan would mean switching him back to OG and sending him to the CFL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is pure comedy right there. ROTFLMAO![/quote:2l9suim7]

Imagine the morphodite draft pick we could get!