PDA

View Full Version : Photoshopping

MeetJoeGreene
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
All:

I announced on the other board that I no longer have the time to "run" the contests. The same holds true here. I will no longer be able to set up and run the contests. I think that they could still be had here if someone wants to step up to the plate and run them. PM me for details as to what I do to research, set up threads, create a scoring thread, and score them.

Things could very well be done differently here given the ability to upload and rate photos on the main site, as long as we get the traffic there as opposed to the forum.

Logisitically, it would work like this:
The person running it starts a thread announcing a new contest. He posts the photos to start the contest. He also creates a contest folder on the main site.

As entries are submitted, they are uploaded there until the contest owner declares it over. The voting could be done as a "poll" or by adopting a convention to "rate the photoes (e.g. 5 for first place, 4 for second). That would require the honor system to only vote once.

Anyway -- I hope someone wants to continue this fine Steelers board tradition.

NKySteeler
06-01-2008, 11:34 PM
MJG, I have not participated in the creation of any pics because I'm simply not as talented as you all. But I have voted for alot if not most of them, and have appreciated the effort put forth... I understand that you now no longer have the time do do them, and often wondered how they could possibly fit into a normal schedule... It is "high time" that you take care of business, and maybe shoot over to the chocalate factory to have a taste of sweetness.... :wink: ...Seriously though, I DO appreciate your efforts over this time, and hopefully someone will continue the tradition. There are a few great creators here that could possibly carry-on the tradition, and I hope they do... You have done a fabulous job without a doubt... I applaud you!!!
(...insert clapping emoticon here.....Times ten...)

fordfixer
06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
MJG, I have not participated in the creation of any pics because I'm simply not as talented as you all. But I have voted for alot if not most of them, and have appreciated the effort put forth... I understand that you now no longer have the time do do them, and often wondered how they could possibly fit into a normal schedule... It is "high time" that you take care of business, and maybe shoot over to the chocalate factory to have a taste of sweetness.... :wink: ...Seriously though, I DO appreciate your efforts over this time, and hopefully someone will continue the tradition. There are a few great creators here that could possibly carry-on the tradition, and I hope they do... You have done a fabulous job without a doubt... I applaud you!!!
(...insert clapping emoticon here.....Times ten...)
NKY- well said. MJG- I also would like to thank you for your past efforts and the time spent. I always enjoyed the photoshopping thread

costanza2k1
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok I can do it, I got to contribute to this board somehow. Let me know the dealio and I'm all over it if you have cliff notes that works :wink:

AngryAsian
06-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Ok I can do it, I got to contribute to this board somehow. Let me know the dealio and I'm all over it if you have cliff notes that works :wink:

Bro, that would so awesome if you could do it. Thanks.... I'll try and help whenever I can, but I likewise am pretty busy.... bein an asian sex-slave. :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 09:01 AM

OK. That is great. I will put some thoughts together at lunch or tonite and post it in this thread.

ghettoscott
06-02-2008, 09:02 AM
as NKy said, i do not have the skillz (or photoshop) to compete but really enjoyed the contests. Good to hear that Costanza will continue the tradition.

...you will still be able to participate yeah? Don't know what a photoshop thread would be without at least ONE MJG creation.

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Running Photoshopping contests:

OK. THis is what I did on the trib:

Research and Photo selection. THis was actually the most time consuming and difficult part. I always had to have the next contest ready to go. I sometimes had a couple lined up which made life easier. I got my ideas the following ways: Sometimes folks would email me pictures. Some of these I took and some I didn't if I didn't think they would make a good photoshop (more on that later). If a big story happened (like Pac Man getting suspended), I would try to find some pictures of that player as it would be interesting. If saw a good picture on SI or somewhere I would use that. Other times I would just do google/msn/yahoo image searches on folks that I thought were interesting (like a hated player, rival coach, etc).

OK: What makes for a good potential photoshop? The following:

-- interesting pose or face. It just can't be a plain old mugshot. They either have to be making a goofy face or have their body doing something that is interesting (and interesting could be as simple as having both arms up like a touchdown). THe point is it can't be just a face or someone just standing there. I usually tried to find at least a few to give folks more options.

-- Large in size. It is easy to shrink images and retain quality, but it is hard to grow a tiny picture and retain quality (They get grainy). A face shot alone can be smaller since it is will be going on a body typically, but a whole body shot or half has to be good sized.

-- meaningful breaking point. By this I mean usually I don't get an "action" shot that ends mid-thigh and with one arm cut off at the wrist. You usually need something consistent so it is easy to incorporate. Cutting off at the waist is OK. There are exceptions to this, but it just my general principle.

-- recognition. I could find really funny poses of and UDFA practice squad from the St. Louis Cardinals -- but unless it has some recognition or something to make people care about it, you won't get much response.

-- high quality photo nuff said. we don't want something grainy or too dark.

at this point if any of you other photoshoppers want to offer your input/suggestions to good photos, please chime in.

--- more to come on the contest itself---

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Running a photoshop contest (Part 2).

OK if you have a photo(s) in mind, here is what I did on the trib.

I created a new thread entitled Photoshop VXX: Catchy Title. (XX being a sequential number) I adopted this naming convention so if I forgot to bookmark the contests, I could search on them easy. The title could be just the name if you like. I put the images in the first post and then PM or email the mod to create a sticky. I ususally tried to start contests close to THursday as people have more time on the weekends to crank out stuff.

I let the contest run its course. Usually, I would edit my topic title a couple of days before the contest ended to say: Photoshop VXX: Contest Ends DAY.

I created a voting thread. To do this I first went into every reply within the thread that was a submission and used the "Quote" function. This enable me to see the code. I copied their text. It usuall was something like:

image%20url

I pasted into a word (or OPen office Document). I did this for all submissions.

Next I "cleaned up the document to get rid of the quote statements (while leaving the name). Also sometimes people wrote their own tag line which I usually removed.

I then added text to number then sequentially and left a few spaces between each contest . (I always had to change 1.21 jigawatts to jigawatts else it screwed up the numbering. Which is why I hate him. :D )

I then copied the text from my document, created a new thread with the title Photoshop VXX: Official Voting Thread and pasted my text into the body. I did a preview to make sure that I didn't dork anything up and that the spacing was right. I then submitted the thread and asked the mods for a sticky (and to remove the contest sticky).

voting then commenced.

Next up -- calculating scores.

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Calculating scores:

I usually gave people a couple of days warning when voting was going to end -- by changeing the Subject line of the thread.

OK. I told people in the voting thread to vote for a first and second place. SOmetimes folks voted for only one, sometimes 3. If they voted for one, I counted that as a first place. If they voted for 3, I ignored the 3rd.

I create a spreadsheet that basically calcuated the score for me. I just had to tally the number of votes. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can send you a template. Afterwards I posted the results ( I usually did a Quote function on the very first entry which had all of the images, deleted everyone except the winners, and used that as the basis).

I always picked a first place. Depending on the closeness and number of votes, I would sometimes name second, or third or tie for second. I used my judgement.

Then I announced it by changing the thread subject to read Photoshop VXX: Winners Announced!!!

ANd that was that.

Some other random notes:

Bookmark all of the contests for posterity.
When researching create bookmark folders for potential ideas and save your future ideas there.
THere could be an entirely difference mechanical process on this site as we have the ability to do pollss and have folders for the photos with ratings.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Since this board has the ability to create polls that automatically tabulate votes, could that be used for the voting portion of the photoshop contest? Is there a limit to the number of items that can be voted on (for example, if we get 20 Photoshop submissions, could you vote amongst those 20, or are you limited to only, say 5?) The only problem is that there is no option for second place points and such, unless people agreed to vote 3 times for your favorite, twice for your second place, and once for your third place, or something like that (unless this program blocks multiple votes on the same polls from one IP address to avoid ballot stuffing). Hmmm....

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Since this board has the ability to create polls that automatically tabulate votes, could that be used for the voting portion of the photoshop contest? Is there a limit to the number of items that can be voted on (for example, if we get 20 Photoshop submissions, could you vote amongst those 20, or are you limited to only, say 5?) The only problem is that there is no option for second place points and such, unless people agreed to vote 3 times for your favorite, twice for your second place, and once for your third place, or something like that (unless this program blocks multiple votes on the same polls from one IP address to avoid ballot stuffing). Hmmm....
Or 2 polls - one for first place and one for second. THe other option is the "rating" of the photos themselves within the folders. We could adopt a convention to rate our first place vote as a 5 and second place as a 4. It would be honor system though.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Or 2 polls - one for first place and one for second. THe other option is the "rating" of the photos themselves within the folders. We could adopt a convention to rate our first place vote as a 5 and second place as a 4. It would be honor system though.

I don't think the honor system stipulation is anything to worry about. After all, this is not a New England Asterisks message board! :lol:

AngryAsian
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
MJG,

I created a thread in the Photo Gallery section and copy/pasted all your diligent instructions in a single post so that if anybody needed referencing the instructions you highlighted, it will be there. Thanks again for all your hard work over the years at Trib and here. Hopefully we can carry on the LEGACY. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=772 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=772)

stlrz d
06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
No time to try it now (lunch) but I'm sure the poll feature allows people to vote for more than one option. Not sure if you can limit it at 2 though.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
MJG,

I created a thread in the Photo Gallery section and copy/pasted all your diligent instructions in a single post so that if anybody needed referencing the instructions you highlighted, it will be there. Thanks again for all your hard work over the years at Trib and here. Hopefully we can carry on the LEGACY. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=772 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=772)

MJG - As a junior forum dude, I just want to say thank you as well for your selflessness in doing the photoshop over the years ... absolutely incredible - you da man :D

stlrz d
06-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok, I posted a test poll on the comments page and here’s the scoop:

Poster is limited to only 10 poll choices. I’m certain board admin can increase that number since there will more than likely be over 10 entries for each contest.

It is possible to limit voters to only 2 choices.

It is possible to limit the number of days votes can be cast.

It is possible to allow re-voting which means posters can change their votes.

It looks like having the number of poll choices increased makes this a very easy contest to score since setting up a poll is so simple even a caveman (or Costanza) can do it!

J/K Costanza! :D

costanza2k1
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Poster is limited to only 10 poll choices. I’m certain board admin can increase that number since there will more than likely be over 10 entries for each contest.

It looks like having the number of poll choices increased makes this a very easy contest to score since setting up a poll is so simple even a caveman (or Costanza) can do it!

sltrz d is a funny guy, sltrz d is a funny guy! (said with George Costanza angry voice) :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
06-02-2008, 10:39 PM

sltrz d is a funny guy, sltrz d is a funny guy! (said with George Costanza angry voice) :lol:

That is all good news .. BUT .. when I scored, I weighted first place votes as 2 points and second place votes as 1 point. There is no way of telling (with one poll) which one got first place and which got second. Of course, it could all be a moot point -- you could feel free to adopt whatever new scoring system you see fit. It does not have to be weighted at all.

stlrz d
06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Party pooper....

I guess if users can only vote for a first place then second place will happen naturally! No need for two votes per person!!! :P

Kipper
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM

The Admin here has the ability to increase the number of Poll choices. For a Photoshop contest, we generally haven't gotten more than 20 on most occasions (at least that I'm aware of, MJG would know what the average is better than me). In any account, the point is that there is the ability to increase the poll choices if someone wants to shmooze the admin.

Sounds like MJG ran this more like a college football bracket. Awarding points for first place picks, basically going with a more overall point system. I have no probloem or see no problem going to a poll system. It makes likfe a heck of a lot easier. Could change it up where there is an overall point system for places. For example if there are 10 choices Then you could give the winner of that particular contest - 10 and the 10th place person - 0. If there's more than 10 that posted a picture, well 11 and so on also gets o and this could be used at the end of the year to figure out who wins overall and also for others to see where they were placed. Could also update the rankings if each person on each new contest thread so people knew where the standings are and what not.

Just throwing out some ideas. MJG did a lot of work from what I can tell but he had to be crafty since there was no poll options at the Trib

Flasteel
06-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to MJG for the work and to Costanza for stepping up to fill the void. I'd help, but I'm going back to school in the fall so I'm not going to have a lot of time on my hands.

Thanks guys.

MeetJoeGreene
06-03-2008, 08:55 PM

The Admin here has the ability to increase the number of Poll choices. For a Photoshop contest, we generally haven't gotten more than 20 on most occasions (at least that I'm aware of, MJG would know what the average is better than me). In any account, the point is that there is the ability to increase the poll choices if someone wants to shmooze the admin.

Sounds like MJG ran this more like a college football bracket. Awarding points for first place picks, basically going with a more overall point system. I have no probloem or see no problem going to a poll system. It makes likfe a heck of a lot easier. Could change it up where there is an overall point system for places. For example if there are 10 choices Then you could give the winner of that particular contest - 10 and the 10th place person - 0. If there's more than 10 that posted a picture, well 11 and so on also gets o and this could be used at the end of the year to figure out who wins overall and also for others to see where they were placed. Could also update the rankings if each person on each new contest thread so people knew where the standings are and what not.

Just throwing out some ideas. MJG did a lot of work from what I can tell but he had to be crafty since there was no poll options at the Trib

That is very true and will probably work. You are correct in that I did go through some hoops. I would say that we should try it as a poll. Most contests did not go over 20 entries. Only 1 or 2 did (Brady Quinn and Michaell Vick) but I don' think that is a very likely scenario.

stlrz d
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I am seriously bummed...once the photoshop contests get rolling I will not be able to participate.

My version of Microsoft PhotoDraw is somehow corrupted and will not open. :cry:

I've searched through what I thought was the install disc and cant find the setup exe anywhere. I thought maybe I could reinstall it and I can't.

I found a torrent for it that downloads a zip file. I tried installing from there and I keep getting error messages. I really don't know what to do. PhotoDraw was such an easy to use program and I knew it very well. I've tried using the gimp and paint.net but I just can't figure them out. PhotoDraw had a tool that would allow me to trace a line around part of an image to cut it out. From what I can tell that's not an option with either gimp or paint.net. If it is I sure as hell can't find it. The layers in PhotoDraw were also much easier to work with. Basically, it was a very nice program for a novice photoshopper to use.

But no more. I checked eBay and Amazon...the prices for software that has not been available since 2000 (Microsoft stopped development of PhotoDraw) are simply ridiculous. Over $100 for digital imaging software that's been out of development for over 8 years???

If anyone has this program (it was part of windows 2000) or can figure out how to download it and put it on a disc so I can reinstall it I will gladly compensate you (to a point) for your efforts, generosity, etc.

I seriously miss this program and I really want it back. I had so much fun participating in those contests and now I'm screwed. :(

I really hope someone can help cuz this sucks beyond sucking. :cry:

MeetJoeGreene
06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I am seriously bummed...once the photoshop contests get rolling I will not be able to participate.

My version of Microsoft PhotoDraw is somehow corrupted and will not open. :cry:

I've searched through what I thought was the install disc and cant find the setup exe anywhere. I thought maybe I could reinstall it and I can't.

I found a torrent for it that downloads a zip file. I tried installing from there and I keep getting error messages. I really don't know what to do. PhotoDraw was such an easy to use program and I knew it very well. I've tried using the gimp and paint.net but I just can't figure them out. PhotoDraw had a tool that would allow me to trace a line around part of an image to cut it out. From what I can tell that's not an option with either gimp or paint.net. If it is I sure as hell can't find it. The layers in PhotoDraw were also much easier to work with. Basically, it was a very nice program for a novice photoshopper to use.

But no more. I checked eBay and Amazon...the prices for software that has not been available since 2000 (Microsoft stopped development of PhotoDraw) are simply ridiculous. Over $100 for digital imaging software that's been out of development for over 8 years???

If anyone has this program (it was part of windows 2000) or can figure out how to download it and put it on a disc so I can reinstall it I will gladly compensate you (to a point) for your efforts, generosity, etc.

I seriously miss this program and I really want it back. I had so much fun participating in those contests and now I'm screwed. :(

I really hope someone can help cuz this sucks beyond sucking. :cry:

Here is a free program (and a cheap upgrade) that isn't bad.

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... GgodcnzhWg (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PagePlus/default.asp?SP=G305&gclid=CNfu8snn3pMCFQtvGgodcnzhWg)

GIMP is REALLY hard to use. If you have the newest version, there is a (supposedly) good book about it.

paint.net has a lasso tool, but it sucks. There is a trick in one of their forums:

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15

In particulare, here is the tutorial: http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopi ... =15&t=4841 (http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841)

It still is different getting used to dealing with the layers.

Good luck.

stlrz d
06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
MJG - Thanks for the info. I downloaded the free one you posted but I don't see a tool that allows me to trace around an object and cut it out, which is obviously an essential element.

I also tried the method explained in the tutorial for paint.net and gave up after a several minutes of not being able to get the line and the "nubs" where they needed to be.

I WANT MY PHOTODRAW BACK!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MeetJoeGreene
06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
MJG - Thanks for the info. I downloaded the free one you posted but I don't see a tool that allows me to trace around an object and cut it out, which is obviously an essential element.

I also tried the method explained in the tutorial for paint.net and gave up after a several minutes of not being able to get the line and the "nubs" where they needed to be.

Serif does. I just reinstalled it to try it. See the picture below. It is the 3rd option from the left under the selection tool. (note the program does crash some, so save your work a lot.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/jbitty29/imagetut.jpg

stlrz d
06-07-2008, 01:53 AM

Serif does. I just reinstalled it to try it. See the picture below. It is the 3rd option from the left under the selection tool. (note the program does crash some, so save your work a lot.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/jbitty29/imagetut.jpg

How come the version I have looks so different?

And no selection tool???

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/serif.jpg

MeetJoeGreene
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Because you downloaded and installeded PAGEPLUS and not PHOTOPLUS!!!

One other thing - when you use photoplus you don't have to trace around and copy as precisely as you do with photodraw. This is because, with photoplus, you can erase between layers. So you have the ability to trace roughly and then erase out the extra with more precision.

How come the version I have looks so different?

And no selection tool?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/serif.jpg

stlrz d
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Dude...that's because the link you gave me sent me to Page Plus!!! :P

MeetJoeGreene
06-07-2008, 10:55 AM

oops.

Try this one:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... efault.asp (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp)

stlrz d
06-07-2008, 11:39 AM

oops.

Try this one:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... efault.asp (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp)

After you mentioned it I went to the top of the page and found it. :D

I sprung for the $9.99 version right away so I guess we'll see how it goes. I can already see the layers work like photoshop, paint.net, gimp, etc. I've never worked with layers like that so I guess I will need to go through some tutorials to figure it out. In PhotoDraw all the layers were stacked up on the left and I simply dragged and dropped one into the other when I wanted to use it. For example, in the Favre Deliverance one, I opened the pic of the kid playing the banjo, then opened the pic of Favre. I had two images stacked on the left. Then I went to the Favre photo and cut out his head. His head was then stacked on the left as well. Now I have three images or layers on the left. I go back to the banjo pic and simply drag Favre's head on top of the banjo kid's head.

There was more finessing and touching up than that, but you get the idea. The way these layers work is a whole new ballgame to me. I tried the free hand cut out tool as well...that's going to take a bit of getting used to also. PhotoDraw had an edge finder tool that worked very well!

But at least I have something that looks to be not as intimidating as paint.net, gimp and the like. Thank you for assisting me...or should I say sending me right to it. :Bow

Just gotta get used to those layers.... :HeadBanger

stlrz d
06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Been playing around with it for the last hour or so...trying to understand how the whole layers thing works. I'm just not getting it. The help topics are of no use and neither are the tutorials...unless I want to spend $40 for the effing tutorial CD.

Can you tell by all the whining that I'm really effing pissed off that I can't figure this out and that PhotoDraw has effing left me? I damn near threw my laptop across the room at one point...I'm that pissed off about this.

I'm ready to do a system restore to about 3 months ago just to see if that does anything to get PhotoDraw restored and functional. Thing is, I can't remember how long ago it was that I first had the issue. I also can't remember everything I've installed over those three months that I'll lose by doing a restore.

If any of you guys have MSOffice 2000 laying around just taking up space...please...I will BUY it from you for a reasonable price. I want PhotoDraw back...I'm far too simple minded for these other programs. If you've got it and you won't sell it to me then be prepared for me to whine, bitch, cry and complain about it in every single photoshop contest thread until I somehow get it back. I mean it too!

MeetJoeGreene
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Been playing around with it for the last hour or so...trying to understand how the whole layers thing works. I'm just not getting it. The help topics are of no use and neither are the tutorials...unless I want to spend $40 for the effing tutorial CD.

Can you tell by all the whining that I'm really effing pissed off that I can't figure this out and that PhotoDraw has effing left me? I damn near threw my laptop across the room at one point...I'm that pissed off about this.

I'm ready to do a system restore to about 3 months ago just to see if that does anything to get PhotoDraw restored and functional. Thing is, I can't remember how long ago it was that I first had the issue. I also can't remember everything I've installed over those three months that I'll lose by doing a restore.

If any of you guys have MSOffice 2000 laying around just taking up space...please...I will BUY it from you for a reasonable price. I want PhotoDraw back...I'm far too simple minded for these other programs. If you've got it and you won't sell it to me then be prepared for me to whine, bitch, cry and complain about it in every single photoshop contest thread until I somehow get it back. I mean it too!

The ways that Photoplus (and other programs like photoshop and paint.net ) deals with layers IS different than Photodraw and does take getting used to. I use an advance verision of a Microsoft Program called Picture IT Premium. If you can find that, you will like it like Photodraw.

Try eBay for Office 2K.

I am not sure that I totally have the hang of the different ways of doing layers, but I am
trying and making an effort as I think once you get the hang of it, it is more powerful.

Regarding photoplus, always uses Ctrl_D to deselect everything before you start. THen select the layer from the little window on the side. THEN choose your action (move, distort, etc) Then DO your action. It is a different metaphor - choosing your action vs having the layer be highlighted and then just doing your action. I like the fact that you can use the "eye" to make layers visible/invisible.

stlrz d
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM

The ways that Photoplus (and other programs like photoshop and paint.net ) deals with layers IS different than Photodraw and does take getting used to. I use an advance verision of a Microsoft Program called Picture IT Premium. If you can find that, you will like it like Photodraw.

Try eBay for Office 2K.

I am not sure that I totally have the hang of the different ways of doing layers, but I am
trying and making an effort as I think once you get the hang of it, it is more powerful.

Regarding photoplus, always uses Ctrl_D to deselect everything before you start. THen select the layer from the little window on the side. THEN choose your action (move, distort, etc) Then DO your action. It is a different metaphor - choosing your action vs having the layer be highlighted and then just doing your action. I like the fact that you can use the "eye" to make layers visible/invisible.

I agree that it can be far more powerful, but for someone who's never worked with something like this it's very, very difficult. With something like this, if I could actually sit down with someone and have them show me how to do things (just a few basics) I'd get it and be able to progress from there. Unfortunately, that's not a possibility. Heck, I can't even figure out how to get one picture in one layer and another picture in another layer...and even if I could I wouldn't know how to put them together once I was finished playing around with things. Just for practice I have a picture of a guy on the moon and another of a UFO. I was trying to cut out the UFO and put it in the pic of the guy on the moon. No effing way I could even come close to figuring out how to do that. Sounds so simple, doesn't it? :roll:

Now compare that with PhotoDraw...you gave me one simple little tip on how you made it appear as if Romo were holding a drink (cut out his hand, put in the drink, put the hand over the drink) and I was off and running from there. So easy!

It didn't take long until I was able to do things like this:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/EgyptianPrincess1.jpg

I'll agree that if I had a more powerful program I could have made Henry's skin color the same on the arms and hands but in PhotoDraw you can't take color from one picture and put it in another one. Or if you can, I hadn't found it yet...and I looked.

I found a torrent for Picture It Premium 10. Guess we'll see how that goes. I've checked eBay for MSO2K and PhotoDraw. For "obsolete" software people sure seem to want an awful lot of money! Same thing on Amazon and other sites. I put a wanted ad on Craigslist so I guess we'll see if that yields anything.

I don't want to give up on what could be a much more powerful tool, but I just don't see myself getting it by accident...know what I mean? These programs are so complex that you can't just stumble around in them and figure it out without having a basic knowledge of how they work. Someone proficient in one program that uses these types of layers could pick up on another one quite easily, imo. But someone who's never worked with them would have a hell of a time figuring it out, as I am.

Now I know why during my searches for PhotoDraw online I'm seeing all kinds of bitching about Microsoft discontinuing development and production of the program. There's even an online petition! :lol:

Very sorry for my frustrations everyone, but this was something I very much enjoyed doing and I can't anymore. It really, seriously bums me out. :(

stlrz d
06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Several hours waiting for the stupid Picture It torrent to download and NOTHING! It didn't effing work!!!

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

stlrz d
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I have good news and bad news.

First the bad news...the issue was not with PhotoDraw, it was with Microsoft Office 2007. They are incompatible and a recent automatic update rendered PhotoDraw useless. Since I believed PhotoDraw to be corrupted on my laptop I deleted. I have since repurchased it online for $25...money I would not have had to spend had I known about the incompatibility of the two.

The good news...I have PhotoDraw back and functional so yinz won't have to listen to me whine anymore!

Now where is that first photoshop contest...I'm rarin' to go!!!

NKySteeler
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I have PhotoDraw back and functional so yinz won't have to listen to me whine anymore!

:Beer ...........Whoo Hoo!..... (just kidding, man!....)

...Seriously, I'm glad for you... You guys are really good at this stuff, and I'm looking forward to the next round of creations..... :Bow

stlrz d
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I have PhotoDraw back and functional so yinz won't have to listen to me whine anymore!

:Beer ...........Whoo Hoo!..... (just kidding, man!....)

...Seriously, I'm glad for you... You guys are really good at this stuff, and I'm looking forward to the next round of creations..... :Bow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

costanza2k1
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
We'll start up next week, I have some ideas of some pictures. I just need to get a couple things squared away. Looking forward to your creations...glad Photodraw works now!

AngryAsian
06-10-2008, 01:34 AM
We'll start up next week, I have some ideas of some pictures. I just need to get a couple things squared away. Looking forward to your creations...glad Photodraw works now!

Bro, you are so money for picking up this torch. Thanks again, Cos. :Clap