PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward on SIRIUS

motter1975
05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
All-
Happened to catch part of an interview with Hines Ward last night on Sirius NFL radio (whichever show comes on after Total Access...think it's Late Hits). Anyway, they had him on talking about a football camp he's doing in Atlanta (I think tomorrow), and how he's flying some of his teammates down there for it. Also said that Bettis is living in the Atlanta area now. He talked about how he's about done everything he could ever wish for in a football career, and how it's great, because he had to earn everything he got, nothing was ever given to him. He talked about starting out on special teams and working his way into the starting lineup to becoming Super Bowl MVP and the leading Steelers receiver.
He also talked about admiring Jerry Rice when he was growing up, as well as a couple Falcons receivers, and how growing up in Atlanta, he was a hard core Falcon's fan. Dan Reeves was one of the people interviewing him, and I guess he was coaching in Atlanta when Hines was drafted, because he said something to the effect that if he had interviewed Hines back in his draft year, and if his interview then was anything like it was last night, he would have drafted him in a heartbeat.

All in all, pretty good interview, and some neat stuff.

Sirius has been having a bunch of Steelers players/coaches on recently...but I keep missing them. Santonio Holmes was on this afternoon at 1:00, but I couldn't listen 'cause I was stuck at work. :evil: :evil:

fordfixer
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
cant you get pod cast from sirius online?

AngryAsian
05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
I've always loved Hines' way of playing football. He leaves everything out on the field. He is far and away the most complete football player in his position, and this might sound like a homer, but the above statement encompasses the entire NFL... ever. Sure you have the guys that have umpteenth number of receiving records, but to look at the body of work he has produced and the hits that this guy has made and the accomplishment of being the all-time leading receiver in an era of the franchise where we were a primarily a run only offense.... truly remarkable. I for one, hopes he retires as a Steeler. And should no doubt be a HOF.

anger 82&95
05-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I've always loved Hines' way of playing football. He leaves everything out on the field. He is far and away the most complete football player in his position, and this might sound like a homer, but the above statement encompasses the entire NFL... ever. Sure you have the guys that have umpteenth number of receiving records, but to look at the body of work he has produced and the hits that this guy has made and the accomplishment of being the all-time leading receiver in an era of the franchise where we were a primarily a run only offense.... truly remarkable. I for one, hopes he retires as a Steeler. And should no doubt be a HOF.There is no argument, he is the quintessential Steeler player; How man injuries has he played through in his career? And how many HUGE plays has he come up with?

AngryAsian
06-01-2008, 02:44 AM
I've always loved Hines' way of playing football. He leaves everything out on the field. He is far and away the most complete football player in his position, and this might sound like a homer, but the above statement encompasses the entire NFL... ever. Sure you have the guys that have umpteenth number of receiving records, but to look at the body of work he has produced and the hits that this guy has made and the accomplishment of being the all-time leading receiver in an era of the franchise where we were a primarily a run only offense.... truly remarkable. I for one, hopes he retires as a Steeler. And should no doubt be a HOF.There is no argument, he is the quintessential Steeler player; How man injuries has he played through in his career? And how many HUGE plays has he come up with?

The greatest last year was his hit on Bart Scott on our soppy wet field on that Monday Night. Good lord that was such a devestating hit.... taking out an LB that's 250+ lbs... crushing him and then getting up and giving that "Hines" smile he always gives after a great play. Whether he's getting hit or doing the hitting, the guy just gets up after the play and smiles. That's a warrior in my book.

blacknblue80s
06-01-2008, 11:38 AM

The greatest last year was his hit on Bart Scott on our soppy wet field on that Monday Night. Good lord that was such a devestating hit.... taking out an LB that's 250+ lbs... crushing him and then getting up and giving that "Hines" smile he always gives after a great play. Whether he's getting hit or doing the hitting, the guy just gets up after the play and smiles. That's a warrior in my book.
Hines is definitely a warrior. What I loved about that hit... Scott had been bragging about his hit on Ben from the previous season. You know Hines had that in the back of his mind and was looking to lay that guy out.
:D

J_C_Steel
06-01-2008, 12:52 PM

That was great, but his playoff performance was even better.

He caught 10 balls for 135 yards on a torn patella in his knee -- proving that Hines Ward is clutch. I will always love #86.