6) Bandits
7) City of Angels
8) Major Payne
9) Drumline
10 DragonFly

Most Overrated
1) Taxi
2) Apocolypse Now
3) GodFathers (all of em...I know I know I'm crazy)
4) The Bourne Ultimatum series
5) Dances with Wolves

Les 74
05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Most Underrated movies
1) What Dreams May Come
2) Contact
3) Phenomenon
4) Boiler Room
5) Color by Numbers
6) Bandits
7) City of Angels
8) Major Payne
9) Drumline
10 DragonFly

Most Overrated
1) Taxi
2) Apocolypse Now
5) Dances with Wolves

Honestly,Shawn,I don't like any of your underrated choices outside of Boiler Room.I also disagree with your choice of the Bourne series as overrated.Thats some of the best mainstream action to come out in recent years.

Here are some of my choices.I'll think of more later.

Overrated:
1.Jerry Maguire
2.Titanic
3.Fight Club
4.The Exorcist-scarest movie ever????I think not
5.Blade Runner
6.Donnie Darko-tried watching this on several occasions and couldn't get through a full screening

Underrated
1.The Ususal Suspects
2.Sleepaway Camp-this and Usual Supects have probably the best twist endings ever in film
3.Tigerland
4.Stand By Me
5.A Christmas Story

Shawn
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I kind of assumed you and I liked different genres of film. I tend to like action/drama with heart. I usually detest horror flicks.

mshifko
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
i agree 100% with major payne...that's easily one of the better movies out there

Shawn
05-26-2008, 07:32 PM
i agree 100% with major payne...that's easily one of the better movies out there

It's hilarious. It's the best comedy many people have never heard of.

eniparadoxgma
05-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I think you guys are wacky. Apocalypse Now overrated? Blade Runner overrated? SMG, I hope you didn't mean Taxi Driver instead of Taxi...

Major Payne?

Yeah, I'm just not with you guys in the realm of cinema I guess. :|

Les: Donnie Darko was slow, strange, and didn't make a bit of sense until I watched the scenes that were cut from the theatrical release. Once I watched all the cut scenes, I was able to actually piece together the point...and it made it a lot better IMO.

Shawn
05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I think you guys are wacky. Apocalypse Now overrated? Blade Runner overrated? SMG, I hope you didn't mean Taxi Driver instead of Taxi...

Major Payne?

Yeah, I'm just not with you guys in the realm of cinema I guess. :|

Les: Donnie Darko was slow, strange, and didn't make a bit of sense until I watched the scenes that were cut from the theatrical release. Once I watched all the cut scenes, I was able to actually piece together the point...and it made it a lot better IMO.

The one with Jody Foster and Robert Deniro....so yes taxi driver. I literally wanted to shoot myself after seeing that flick. Up on Netflix you have all these film students writing about the meaning...and blah blah this...symbolism that. Screw that...I watch a movie for entertainment and it didn't do it for me. Apocalypse Now was so overblown...it was a decent movie...I was mildly entertained...but legendary flick? Not for me.

And yes if you haven't seen Major Payne...it's funny. If you like silly humor...it is very amusing. It entertained me.

birtikidis
05-26-2008, 11:22 PM
actually i agree, major payne is one of hte few silly funny movies that i actually like... that's a blast from the past. thanks shawn, i'm gonna go watch it i think...

Jigawatts
05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Major Payne was sweet.
Usual Suspects is definitely underrated.

I didn't see The Warriors on anyone's list. That movie was awesome.
I didn't see Office Space anywhere either. Didn't do well in theaters,
but everyone seems to love it now.

Did anyone see No Country For Old Men?
I understand the allegory for death and all, but I still didn't think that movie
was all that good. Maybe I need to see it again.

Les 74
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Major Payne was sweet.
Usual Suspects is definitely underrated.

I didn't see The Warriors on anyone's list. That movie was awesome.
I didn't see Office Space anywhere either. Didn't do well in theaters,
but everyone seems to love it now.

Did anyone see No Country For Old Men?
I understand the allegory for death and all, but I still didn't think that movie
was all that good. Maybe I need to see it again.

Totally agree on Office Space,Jig.Great movie that I forgot all about.I wish I could do the things he did to his boss!!! :twisted:

eniparadoxgma
05-28-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree with Office Space being underrated and No Country for Old Men being overrated. The latter was a good movie and all, but not the Coen brothers' best work IMO. I found it slow and a bit dull, honestly.

AngryAsian
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Underrated: River's Edge..... Dennis Hopper was brilliant. Talk about some great quotable lines.... this movie had some gems. Rent it, if you haven't seen it. Quite dark.

and if you liked time bandits... rent The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. An all-star cast but a movie that didn't get much fan fare when being released.

Jigawatts
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Never saw Rivers Edge, but anything with Crispen Glover has got to be good. :wink:

Les 74
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Never saw Rivers Edge, but anything with Crispen Glover has got to be good. :wink:

Friday the 13th:the Final Chapter!! 8)

eniparadoxgma
05-29-2008, 12:04 AM
and if you liked time bandits... rent The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. An all-star cast but a movie that didn't get much fan fare when being released.

Agreed. Seems like a lot of Terry Gilliam's movies are underrated IMO: Brazil, Munchausen, 12 Monkeys... I've got Tideland and Brothers Grimm but still haven't watched 'em for some reason.

AngryAsian
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Agreed. Seems like a lot of Terry Gilliam's movies are underrated IMO: Brazil, Munchausen, 12 Monkeys... I've got Tideland and Brothers Grimm but still haven't watched 'em for some reason.

Great movies named there, EPI. What's your take on foreign subtitled films. Any favs?

Steelworth
05-29-2008, 05:10 AM
New to the community but when I saw "movies" I thought I'd to chime in here, good stuff. Whoever said Tigerland, The Usual Suspects and Stand By Me in particular, great choices IMO. A few more underrated for me:

The Thin Red Line
Donnie Brasco
Garden State
Heat
Half Nelson
Primal Fear

It's late here so I'll think of overrated later. This place seems very cool BTW.

Les 74
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM
New to the community but when I saw "movies" I thought I'd to chime in here, good stuff. Whoever said Tigerland, The Usual Suspects and Stand By Me in particular, great choices IMO. A few more underrated for me:

The Thin Red Line
Donnie Brasco
Garden State
Heat
Half Nelson
Primal Fear

It's late here so I'll think of overrated later. This place seems very cool BTW.

That would be me and yes,I have exquisite taste. :lol:

Welcome aboard,Steelworth!!!

frankthetank1
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Most Underrated movies
1) What Dreams May Come
2) Contact
3) Phenomenon
4) Boiler Room
5) Color by Numbers
6) Bandits
7) City of Angels
8) Major Payne
9) Drumline
10 DragonFly

Most Overrated
1) Taxi
2) Apocolypse Now
5) Dances with Wolves

godfathers overrated? no freakin way. the third one was a big piece of crap no doubt about that but the first two are both two of the best movies ever. 2 is easily the best sequel ever. i agree about taxi driver that is pretty overrated. i think one of the most underrated comedies is kingpin. no matter how much i watch that movie i still think its hillarious

eniparadoxgma
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Great movies named there, EPI. What's your take on foreign subtitled films. Any favs?

Hmm...

City of Lost Children
Hate
Run Lola Run
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Legend of the Drunken Master

I have Pan's Labyrinth but haven't watched it yet. You have any foreign favorites?

I also dig some anime:

Animatrix
First of the Northstar
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Demon City Shinjuku

..especially.

Les 74
05-29-2008, 10:26 AM

Hmm...

City of Lost Children
Hate
Run Lola Run
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Legend of the Drunken Master

I have Pan's Labyrinth but haven't watched it yet. You have any foreign favorites?

I also dig some anime:

Animatrix
First of the Northstar
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Demon City Shinjuku

..especially.

Pan's Labyrinth is a very good film,eni.Not so much scary,but a very good visual and story driven film.I've also heard that The Orphanage is supposed to be one of the scariest films to come out in the past 20 years.I haven't seen it yet,but would like to.I'm a big fan of J-Horror(if you've ever heard of that.)Some good titles are:The Ring,The Grudge,The Eye,Infection,Uzumaki...........I could go on and on. :lol:

Shawn
05-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Isn't Pan a subtitled film? If I wanted to read I would pick up a book.
:)

Les 74
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Isn't Pan a subtitled film? If I wanted to read I would pick up a book.
:)

Good thing you can't read!!!! :P :lol: :lol:

Ozey74
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
The Warriors http://www.warriorsmovie.co.uk/

A cult classic, therefore underrated. To me it's classic from 1979. Do yourself a favor and rent it.

Overrated: Braveheart. I think this movie is cinematic crap at it's steamiest.

Jigawatts
06-01-2008, 08:51 PM

A cult classic, therefore underrated. To me it's classic from 1979. Do yourself a favor and rent it.

I mentioned The Warriors earlier in this thread. Great movie. Probably the most
quoted movie at my workplace right now... by me and two other people. Every
body else has no idea what we're talking about when we yell out, "Can you dig it?"

Ozey74
06-01-2008, 09:29 PM

body else has no idea what we're talking about when we yell out, "Can you dig it?"

I'm sorry, I missed it during my first read. :oops:

Every now and then, I can help but clang to empty beer bottles together w/my thumb and pointer finger. I was a little kid when I first watched this. The baseball furies gang scared that crap out of me.

Jigawatts
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Every now and then, I can help but clang to empty beer bottles together w/my thumb and pointer finger. I was a little kid when I first watched this. The baseball furies gang scared that crap out of me.

Baseball Furies was my favorite gang the first time I saw it because of my love for
baseball at that time. Now I think I'd rather be a Turnbull AC because sometimes
I just feel like hanging off of a bus while swinging a 2X4 and yelling. :lol:

AngryAsian
06-02-2008, 05:58 AM

Baseball Furies was my favorite gang the first time I saw it because of my love for
baseball at that time. Now I think I'd rather be a Turnbull AC because sometimes
I just feel like hanging off of a bus while swinging a 2X4 and yelling. :lol:

The baseball Furies were a bunch of puzzzies. I'd like to be a charter members of the Lizzies. At least you knew you were going to get some at the clubhouse. You know everytime I watched that movie one thing always stands out in my mind. The dude in the warriors who was the light skinned brother. The same guy whose job was to spray the graffiti to let everybody know that the Warriors were there, I think the character's name was Rembrandt..... he was such a panzy. How the hell this guy ever passed the Warrior initiation is beyond me.

frankthetank1
06-02-2008, 08:42 AM
i finally saw the new indiana jones movie and it has to be one of the worst movies ive ever seen. im a huge fan of the older movies but they should of stopped with the third. it was such a piece of crap

AngryAsian
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
i finally saw the new indiana jones movie and it has to be one of the worst movies ive ever seen. im a huge fan of the older movies but they should of stopped with the third. it was such a piece of crap

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, Frank. Don't tell me the butler does it... right? :lol:

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 01:40 PM
The baseball Furies were a bunch of puzzzies. I'd like to be a charter members of the Lizzies. At least you knew you were going to get some at the clubhouse. You know everytime I watched that movie one thing always stands out in my mind. The dude in the warriors who was the light skinned brother. The same guy whose job was to spray the graffiti to let everybody know that the Warriors were there, I think the character's name was Rembrandt..... he was such a panzy. How the hell this guy ever passed the Warrior initiation is beyond me.

Yeah, I didn't see how Rembrandt fit in. He hid in the corner while the rest
of the Warriors were bopp'n. He's not worthy of wearing the Warrior colors.

Shawn
06-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I seen another one last night that I had forgotten about. Joyride...totally underrated. I am one of those people that usually laugh at "scarey" movies. But, this one got to me. I was able to freak my wife out for a month by repeating one word from the movie...

Candy caaaaane. :)

Hot hot horror flick.

Jigawatts
06-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I seen another one last night that I had forgotten about. Joyride...totally underrated. I am one of those people that usually laugh at "scarey" movies. But, this one got to me. I was able to freak my wife out for a month by repeating one word from the movie...

Candy caaaaane. :)

Hot hot horror flick.

:lol: I use the Candy cane line all the time.

NKySteeler
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM

I just hit the candy section at the grocery...

"Want some candy little girl?".... :?:

You know, my other girlfriend called me a pedofile... I said; "that's a mighty big word for a 10-year old..." :lol:
<<insert rim-tap on a snare drum>>

......................OK, that was bad. I apologize. But I'm bored..... :oops:

Shawn
06-22-2008, 01:55 AM

You know, my other girlfriend called me a pedofile... I said; "that's a mighty big word for a 10-year old..." :lol:

:shock:

:lol:

:shock:

Jigawatts
06-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Today I'm going to meet up with my old roomate. He always used
to be a cradle robber and probably still is. I'll have to use that joke. :lol:

He was our very own Wooderson.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/dasd52000/wooderson1.jpg

"That's what I love about these high school girls; I get older and they stay the same age."

Djfan
07-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Fargo was beyond lame. Someone owes me an apology for that one.
Most anything Kevin Costner annoys me.

Loved Christmas Story, A River Runs Through It, Napolean Dynamite and other great cultural landmarks.

stlrz d
07-01-2008, 07:23 AM

Loved Christmas Story, A River Runs Through It, Napolean Dynamite and other great cultural landmarks.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:Hater

We can't be friends anymore. :(

frankthetank1
07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
the other night i watched one flew over the cookos nest. it never comes to mind as one of my favorites for some reason. definetly a classic though. same with cool hand luke, both are great movies

Shawn
07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Cool Hand Luke is the shiznit.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Idiocracy was on last night. It's one of those movies that gets funnier with repeated viewings.

"As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species."

"The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections."

"Unaware of what year it was, Joe wandered the streets desperate for help. But the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them."

"Why come you got no tattoo?"

"I'm Secretary of State, brought to you by Carl's Jr."

"Please come back when you can afford to make a purchase. Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes that no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr."

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."

"Comin' up next on The Violence Channel: An all-new 'Ow, My Balls!'"

"Go away! 'Batin'!"

Shawn
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I have to watch that...sounds funny.

stlrz d
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Idiocracy was on last night. It's one of those movies that gets funnier with repeated viewings.

"As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species."

"The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections."

"Unaware of what year it was, Joe wandered the streets desperate for help. But the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them."

"Please come back when you can afford to make a purchase. Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes that no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr."

"Go away! 'Batin'!"

I have to honestly admit that I had high hopes for this movie and really didn't find it to be that funny. :(

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM

"Go away! 'Batin'!"

I have to honestly admit that I had high hopes for this movie and really didn't find it to be that funny. :(

Did you like Office Space, Beavis & Butthead, or King of the Hill?

stlrz d
07-01-2008, 07:13 PM

"Go away! 'Batin'!"

Did you like Office Space, Beavis & Butthead, or King of the Hill?

Office Space no. Beavis and Butthead yes. King of the Hill no. I know they're all Mike Judge.

Les 74
07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Office Space is infinitely more funny than Idiocracy.

proudpittsburgher
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Cool Hand Luke is the shiznit.

Some time nothin' can be a real cool hand

Djfan
07-03-2008, 05:27 AM

I should have kept the discs!

stlrz d
07-03-2008, 07:30 AM

You should have...they didn't work! :lol:

I had to buy PhotoDraw online! :oops:

But now if you'd like to download it for free from me I can get it to you...just let me know.

Oh wait...you don't like Fargo...NEVER MIND! :twisted:

eniparadoxgma
07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
[quote=Djfan]Fargo was beyond lame. Someone owes me an apology for that one.

But now if you'd like to download it for free from me I can get it to you...just let me know.

Oh wait...you don't like Fargo...NEVER MIND! :twisted:[/quote:3h7rcvkc]

Meant to tell you I find a copy of I think...PhotoDraw 2003 or something similar. I looked for it after seeing your thread but forgot to ever tell ya about it. I don't even think I've tried it out...

:HeadBanger

Djfan
07-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Oh wait...you don't like Fargo...NEVER MIND! :twisted:[/quote:2tnyc5lf]

OK, enough is enough. We need to be friends. We're beginning to sound like QB and SMG. I will let you be my friend, and you understand that I only like good movies. Deal?

stlrz d
07-05-2008, 02:52 PM

OK, enough is enough. We need to be friends. We're beginning to sound like QB and SMG. I will let you be my friend, and you understand that I only like good movies. Deal?[/quote:3gjpolnb]

Like Fargo!?! :Clap

Shawn
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM

OK, enough is enough. We need to be friends. We're beginning to sound like QB and SMG. I will let you be my friend, and you understand that I only like good movies. Deal?[/quote:1d6ptx2n]

What??? I love me some QB. I'm so happy he's back.

:lol:

Djfan
07-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Maybe there's a foreign MB with a thread about Fargo being their favorite foreign film. That would be sad.

stlrz d
07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
[youtube:2ioexgtl]6A_xRTY6ozU&hl[/youtube:2ioexgtl]

Djfan
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
[youtube:1q4ag569]6A_xRTY6ozU&hl[/youtube:1q4ag569]

Man, there are a lot of confused movie critics out there!

BIG FAN
07-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Underrated.
1949 version
"All the King's men"
Watch Broderick Crawford in this this movie, and then somebody actually say Sean Penn can act.
This is so underrated becuse of the subject matter of absolute power corrupting absolutely, still to this day we dont like movies like this as a whole WHEN it hits home about our leaders, or leads you think all those suspicions about politics we have are true.

frankthetank1
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
i saw the funniest movie i have seen in a really long time the other night, it was called the grand. its a movie about texas hold em, woody harellson, chris parnell, george and his mom from seinfeld are in it. it reminded me a little bit of best in show but it was a lot funnier