PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

mshifko
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
i know this isn't a hockey board, but we're all steelers fans which means most of us are penguins and pirates fans also...

game 1 was awful, lets hope they can come out monday night and finish their shots and make it happen...

go pens

NKySteeler
05-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Good idea shif... Right now, I still have a bad taste about last night...

mshifko
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
yeah it was a rough night...but hopefully the pens will put on a good show for us on memorial day

Les 74
05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I wasn't surprised by the result last night.I figured that they were gonna lose,but I didn't think they were gonna get shut out.We will rebound tomorrow night.Don't worry!!

NKySteeler
05-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm gonna miss the game tomorrow night.... I couldn't listen to it on the radio while at work...could I?... :shock: :twisted:

They really gotta split the first two in Detroit, then come home for a nice "home ice" advantage...

buckeyehoppy
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
As I posted on the Trib board, I figured that the Pens would split the pair in Detroit. I only got to watch the 1st period of Saturday's game and I honestly couldn't get a read for which way the momentum was going to shift. The final score, needless to say, was a surprise after such a tight 1st.

The Wings aren't four goals better than the Pens, but the Pens need to make sure that they are keeping the Wings honest. That means a strong forecheck and dropping the hammer on anyone who wants to crowd the crease.

The Wings have a habit of taking home games off. It happened in the Nashville and Dallas series, but the Pens are decidedly better than both of those teams and should be able to enforce their will on the Wings. They are very much equipped for the task, but they'll need to shake off the uncertain play and return to what got them to the finals in the first place.

mshifko
05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
game 2 tonight...should be a good game...like others have said, the red wings aren't 4 goals better than the pens...we can play with them and beat them, hopefully they play inspired hockey tonight...

i know it's a baseball thing but lets hope geno picked up a slump buster last night haha

Jigawatts
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
No worries tonight shifko. I've got the lucky Pens hat on.

BURGH86STEEL
05-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Lets hope they can pull out a win tonight.

birtikidis
05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
damn two games down now...

Les 74
05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Ok,I'm officially worried now.I could see if the Pens tried making a game of it,but getting blanked two games in a row!!! :shock:

buckeyehoppy
05-28-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm concerned at this point about the Pens simply horrible play. As I said on the Trib game thread last night, the Wings are simply not this good. But the way the Pens are playing, they might as well be.

The Pens simply can't play as thoughtlessly as they have against the Wings and expect to win anything. They must enforce their will on this team and play to win. That means attacking on both ends of the river, keeping the Wings attack honest with the fore check, and not taking dumb@$$ penalties like the F--ers are wont to do.

If the Pens play like they did in their Eastern Conference Matchups, there is no reason that they should fall short. Mike Lange made the comment that the Pens have been futile in their history @ Joe Louis, but that the Wings have been nearly as futile historically @ the Igloo.

The Pens must find what can split the Wings blue line and attack and use that strategy while at home. They must go back to what got them to the finals in the first place.

BIG FAN
05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm concerned at this point about the Pens simply horrible play. As I said on the Trib game thread last night, the Wings are simply not this good. But the way the Pens are playing, they might as well be.

The Pens simply can't play as thoughtlessly as they have against the Wings and expect to win anything. They must enforce their will on this team and play to win. That means attacking on both ends of the river, keeping the Wings attack honest with the fore check, and not taking dumb@$$ penalties like the F--ers are wont to do.

If the Pens play like they did in their Eastern Conference Matchups, there is no reason that they should fall short. Mike Lange made the comment that the Pens have been futile in their history @ Joe Louis, but that the Wings have been nearly as futile historically @ the Igloo.

The Pens must find what can split the Wings blue line and attack and use that strategy while at home. They must go back to what got them to the finals in the first place.

Got to agree on this.
Our Pens looked like they wanted to do something for a while and then acquiesced to the point of being stifled. Coach got to get that third line HOPPIN".
Sure wish down here we could get Mike's call from the games.

Les 74
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Totally agree and well said!!!!

Jigawatts
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
1-0 Pens at the end of the first. Get 'em Pens

mshifko
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
the white out is out in full effect...go pens, keep it going...

Jigawatts
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
2-1 Pens at the end of the 2nd. Heck of an individual effort by
Franzan to get one for Detroit. Other than that, the Pens are working them.

Les 74
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
2-1 Pens at the end of the 2nd. Heck of an individual effort by
Franzan to get one for Detroit. Other than that, the Pens are working them.

That wasn't Franzen.That was the idiot Whitney letting him skate in untouched. :roll:

Jigawatts
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Les 74
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
We are DEFINITELY back in this!!!!!GO PENS!!!!! 8)

buckeyehoppy
05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
The Pens need to keep doing what they did tonight. The Wings, essentially, didn't change anything they did. But the Pens started enforcing their will, something they will need to do in every game going forward.

When the Pens fore check, lay wood, and generally keep the Wings honest, good things will happen for them.

I don't give a damn who the "3 Stars" were for tonight (even if Sid deserved it!!!). Brooks Orpik was studly tonight. Looks like he will dictate the enforcing in the remaining games for the Pens.

BIG FAN
05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Got home around 11:30, just got done tivoing the game. We look like were Back!
Wooo Hoo!

Les 74
05-29-2008, 07:51 AM
The Pens need to keep doing what they did tonight. The Wings, essentially, didn't change anything they did. But the Pens started enforcing their will, something they will need to do in every game going forward.

When the Wings fore check, lay wood, and generally keep the Wings honest, good things will happen for them.

I don't give a damn who the "3 Stars" were for tonight (even if Sid deserved it!!!). Brooks Orpik was studly tonight. Looks like he will dictate the enforcing in the remaining games for the Pens.

Totally agree on Orpik,hoppy!!!He was a BEAST on the ice last night.We keep up with this style of play and the Wings are cooked..........................haha,I made a funny. :lol:

Jigawatts
05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Agreed about Orpik. He was hitting everything that moved. I wish I would have
recorded that game. That 5-6 minutes on non-stop action in the 3rd was electrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBXdefDulU

Les 74
05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Agreed about Orpik. He was hitting everything that moved. I wish I would have
recorded that game. That 5-6 minutes on non-stop action in the 3rd was electrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBXdefDulU

Yes,it was probably the best hockey that I've seen all season.....................and then the refs decided to pull out their whistles and give Geno a stupid penalty with 2 mins left in the game. :roll:

Jigawatts
05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Jigawatt Special Note: After the game was over and they cut to commercial I
momentarily clicked from WPXI to Fox 8 in Cleveland (I hate watching my local
channels.)

Just as I changed stations one of the newscasters said something like, "this just
in, the Penguins won the game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals, good for them."

The other newscasters ribbed him and said something like, "you've been to Pittsburgh
once for about 5 minutes and you're a Penguins fan."

I just thought it was funny to see a newscaster from Cleveland admit on air that he
was a fan of any Pittsburgh team.

costanza2k1
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok after reading posts in this forum I watched my very first hockey game. Man that was so much fun! Can't wait for the next game! Go Pens!

Les 74
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok after reading posts in this forum I watched my very first hockey game. Man that was so much fun! Can't wait for the next game! Go Pens!

Yeah,go ahead and jump on the bandwagon. :P :lol:

Seriously,glad to have you on board the Pens Express.

NKySteeler
05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey folks, not sure if you all know this or not, but the NHLN re-airs the games the next day (even cup games.... I just watched game #3 this afternoon).

buckeyehoppy
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
channels.)

Just as I changed stations one of the newscasters said something like, "this just

The other newscasters ribbed him and said something like, "you've been to Pittsburgh

I just thought it was funny to see a newscaster from Cleveland admit on air that he

Just from reading what you said, the sportscaster was probably Tony "Wee!!!" Rizzo. Rizzo is a pretty decent sports guy, but he's a homer just like any other sports talking head who's been in Cleveland for longer than five years.

It's funny being a hockey fan in Cleveland because Pittsburgh, Detroit and Columbus are all equidistant. Add an hour and you get Buffalo, too. So you can get to four NHL towns on a single tank of gas from Cleveland.

Columbus is the "home" team in Cleveland and there's a good following, but Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Detroit (probably in order of popularity) also have strong support here.

Most Cleveland hockey fans who don't know $#!+ about football have a healthy respect for the Pens and Sid Crosby, in particular. But being a hockey fan here is pretty difficult unless you have NHL Center Ice or have a raft of cash to watch games and eat and drink at the Winking Lizard.

NKySteeler
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Has anyone else sensed Eddie Olczyks' (sp?) apparent dislike of the Pens, or is it just me? ... Maybe envy of being shown the door a year or two too early?

Les 74
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Has anyone else sensed Eddie Olczyks' (sp?) apparent dislike of the Pens, or is it just me? ... Maybe envy of being shown the door a year or two too early?

I've noticed it and yes that is the reason why.Sour grapes.

Jigawatts
05-29-2008, 07:35 PM
channels.)

Just from reading what you said, the sportscaster was probably Tony "Wee!!!" Rizzo. Rizzo is a pretty decent sports guy, but he's a homer just like any other sports talking head who's been in Cleveland for longer than five years..

I don't watch enough of the Cleveland news to know anyone but Goddard, Rizzo,
and Croenenburger (sp? is she still there?) It wasn't Rizzo, I'd recognize his mug
anywhere.

The Jackets are my "home team" as well, even though they're 3 hours from here
and Pittsburgh is 1/2 the distance. I went a few rounds with Direct TV about a
month ago when they blacked out a playoff game because it was being broadcast
on FSN Pittsburgh as well as Versus. They claim Pittsburgh is in my extended area,
therefore I should pay for the sports package.

I've never been to the Winking Lizard by the Jake (I won't say Progressive) but the
last few games I've been to Harry Buffalo. I didn't think it was that pricey considering
the location so I plan on heading back there for my next game.

mshifko
05-30-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah i noticed edzo's dislike for the pens as well...he seems a little bit bitter about getting canned...

game 4 tomorrow night, 8PM...be there and be loud pens fans...i cannot make it to the game, but will be in the burgh and will most definitely be raising hell...ya heard :lol:

NKySteeler
05-30-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah i noticed edzo's dislike for the pens as well...he seems a little bit bitter about getting canned...

game 4 tomorrow night, 8PM...be there and be loud pens fans...i cannot make it to the game, but will be in the burgh and will most definitely be raising hell...ya heard :lol:

Same here, shif...... Gonna be in Pgh and watching it somewhere in town....

buckeyehoppy
05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
channels.)

Just from reading what you said, the sportscaster was probably Tony "Wee!!!" Rizzo. Rizzo is a pretty decent sports guy, but he's a homer just like any other sports talking head who's been in Cleveland for longer than five years..

I don't watch enough of the Cleveland news to know anyone but Goddard, Rizzo,
and Croenenburger (sp? is she still there?) It wasn't Rizzo, I'd recognize his mug
anywhere.

The Jackets are my "home team" as well, even though they're 3 hours from here
and Pittsburgh is 1/2 the distance. I went a few rounds with Direct TV about a
month ago when they blacked out a playoff game because it was being broadcast
on FSN Pittsburgh as well as Versus. They claim Pittsburgh is in my extended area,
therefore I should pay for the sports package.

I've never been to the Winking Lizard by the Jake (I won't say Progressive) but the
last few games I've been to Harry Buffalo. I didn't think it was that pricey considering
the location so I plan on heading back there for my next game.

I don't watch enough local news to really know who's where anymore. Kathy Kronenberger is/was/will probably always be a babe! :wink:

The Blue Jackets are the local team here, obviously. Doesn't Youngstown have both FSN Pittsburgh and FSN Ohio? You should be able to get games for both, but because of the absolutely knuckleheaded decision by the NHL to have blackout restrictions for "home" areas (you'd think that the NHL would want as many viewers as possible for all of their games), they probably knock out the Pens games. That's a wise move! :roll:

When I go to see the Tribe, nine times out of ten I'll be over at Flannery's prior to the game. The place has everything I need for sports and the bar tenders are first rate.

I have also been going to AJ Rocco's on Huron. Closer to the park and not really a sports bar atmosphere. It's very relaxed for a bar downtown.

Don't have anything against Harry Buffalo, but most of the folks I work with at HOB drink at Flannery's after work, so I have a bias toward them.

When you come in for a game, PM me and I'll have a few with ya! :idea: :idea: :idea:

eniparadoxgma
05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
What is the NHL and why would anyone care?

Enjoy the NHL talk...just wake me up when it's over!

:)

AngryAsian
06-01-2008, 04:39 AM

I agree, but most liken the NHL to soccer. You either get it or you don't. I love soccer and love watching it.... but some would completely disagree with me. BTW, Christiano Ronaldo.... best player in the world. I have a limited edition Team Portugal jersey (he plays for the Portuguese National Team)... his number is 17... my soccer number when I played throughout grade, middle and high school.... and the color? Their home colors are burgandy and gold.... their away jersey colors are Black and Gold.

C. Ronaldo is a Steeler at heart. :D

Les 74
06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Well,so much for the Pens chances now.They did have a nice run,but they would need an act of God to come back from 3-1.

Jigawatts
06-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Kathy Kronenberger is/was/will probably always be a babe! :wink:

The Blue Jackets are the local team here, obviously. Doesn't Youngstown have both FSN Pittsburgh and FSN Ohio? You should be able to get games for both, but because of the absolutely knuckleheaded decision by the NHL to have blackout restrictions for "home" areas (you'd think that the NHL would want as many viewers as possible for all of their games), they probably knock out the Pens games. That's a wise move! :roll:

When I go to see the Tribe, nine times out of ten I'll be over at Flannery's prior to the game. The place has everything I need for sports and the bar tenders are first rate.

I have also been going to AJ Rocco's on Huron. Closer to the park and not really a sports bar atmosphere. It's very relaxed for a bar downtown.

Don't have anything against Harry Buffalo, but most of the folks I work with at HOB drink at Flannery's after work, so I have a bias toward them.

When you come in for a game, PM me and I'll have a few with ya! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Unfortunately I'm stuck with FSN Ohio unless I pay $12 extra for the sports package. I
almost canceled my Direct TV over that game they blacked out. I know it's the NHL's rules, but I'm paying for a service I didn't get. :x

Flannery's is a good possibility for the next game. I haven't been there yet, but my brother-in-law tells me they have a great selection of beer. :D.

I've got a game the 28th (Reds) so depending on who I go with, I'll send you a PM.

Jigawatts
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM

I agree, but most liken the NHL to soccer. You either get it or you don't. I love soccer and love watching it.... but some would completely disagree with me. BTW, Christiano Ronaldo.... best player in the world. I have a limited edition Team Portugal jersey (he plays for the Portuguese National Team)... his number is 17... my soccer number when I played throughout grade, middle and high school.... and the color? Their home colors are burgandy and gold.... their away jersey colors are Black and Gold.

AS, will you be watching any of the UEFA Euro 2008? It's starting at just the right
time for me. No more Lost and no more hockey. :( :( :(

NKySteeler
06-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Well,so much for the Pens chances now.They did have a nice run,but they would need an act of God to come back from 3-1.

...Osgood is just scary-good right now, and I think it has gotten into thier minds.... Late 3rd period with a 5 on 3 and they were freakin' skating like the "Sesame Street Ice Follies" without taking enough shots....

Les 74
06-01-2008, 06:05 PM

...Osgood is just scary-good right now, and I think it has gotten into thier minds.... Late 3rd period with a 5 on 3 and they were freakin' skating like the "Sesame Street Ice Follies" without taking enough shots....

And another thing,where's Malkin???I'd have an easier time finding Waldo. :shock:

NKySteeler
06-01-2008, 06:36 PM
And another thing,where's Malkin???I'd have an easier time finding Waldo. :shock:

...No ****.... The entire offensive production has been out of whack against Detroit. I don't know if they are really that good, or we are in "awe" of being in the finals with some young players... Either way, Guy Junkers' stat has now been blown away... Do you know who he is? (sportscaster who just to be on Sportsbeat with Stan Savran).... He pointed out that the Pens were undefeated throughout the playoffs when playing on NBC... All thier losses were televised on Versus.

I hate to say it, but it is over. I saw Crosbys' interview on WPXI this morning, and you could almost see it in his eyes...

Anyway, my better-half and I went to my daughters' dance recital early Sat down in Waynesburg, then made our way up to Washington and caught the game at a TGI Fridays... It was soooooooooooo nice to watch the game with other Pittsburgh fans!... No one around here cares about hockey, and even less about Pittsburgh.

eniparadoxgma
06-01-2008, 08:48 PM

I agree. To each their own and all that. A couple of my friends are diehard hockey fans. I'm just one of the people that don't get it, and hey, that works for me.

However, I was more or less just trying to screw with CSF by copying exactly what he said about the NBA in one of the pro basketball threads. :)

buckeyehoppy
06-01-2008, 10:49 PM

I agree. To each their own and all that. A couple of my friends are diehard hockey fans. I'm just one of the people that don't get it, and hey, that works for me.

However, I was more or less just trying to screw with CSF by copying exactly what he said about the NBA in one of the pro basketball threads. :)

Actually, it was me who said that :)

No biggy.You're not a hockey guy. So what? You probably have a life. I don't...because I spend too much freaking time in "the toy box" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Euro 2008 is coming up...can't wait!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

buckeyehoppy
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Kathy Kronenberger is/was/will probably always be a babe! :wink:

Unfortunately I'm stuck with FSN Ohio unless I pay $12 extra for the sports package. I
almost canceled my Direct TV over that game they blacked out. I know it's the NHL's rules, but I'm paying for a service I didn't get. :x

Flannery's is a good possibility for the next game. I haven't been there yet, but my brother-in-law tells me they have a great selection of beer. :D.

I've got a game the 28th (Reds) so depending on who I go with, I'll send you a PM.

Flannery's is a great place and a great time. You'll like it.

Let me know what's up with your plans. I'm easy to find. Lots of times, I just stay after work on Friday, so I'll probably already be downtown.

I may attend the game, depending on plans. They're still sucky, but only 5.5 out right now, so that tells ya all ya need to know about the AL Central :lol: :lol: :lol:

buckeyehoppy
06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah!!! Forgot this was a hockey thread...silly me.

Looks like it's over for the Pens. I'll watch tomorrow night. I'm an addict :shock: , so what can I tell ya?

I'm very pleased with what I've seen from the Pens when I look at the balance of the season. I never had them getting this far, so I am happy with what the Pens have done this season.

This last series has been a disappointment because I figured they'd be able to hang a lot tighter with Detroit. Detroit is a very good team who can make you look bad if you're not quite perfect. I'd say that pretty much describes the Pens in this series.

The off-season is a question mark for the Pens. They need to keep Malkin, despite what has happened in the finals. Let's just say that Shero and the rest of the brain trust have there work cut out if they want to keep the Pens ship on the same tack

NKySteeler
06-01-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm very pleased with what I've seen from the Pens when I look at the balance of the season. I never had them getting this far, so I am happy with what the Pens have done this season.

This last series has been a disappointment because I figured they'd be able to hang a lot tighter with Detroit. Detroit is a very good team who can make you look bad if you're not quite perfect. I'd say that pretty much describes the Pens in this series.

The off-season is a question mark for the Pens. They need to keep Malkin, despite what has happened in the finals. Let's just say that Shero and the rest of the brain trust have there work cut out if they want to keep the Pens ship on the same tack

I'm also happy with what I've seen.... What was it, two seasons ago and they were "rock bottom"?.... Yea, Detroit has made them look bad, but they were the "best" team throughout the season, weren't they?.... I expect them to go to the Cup next year and win it... No excuses about "young players" or whatnot... Malkin should be retained, but I'm not sure what "work is cut out" so as to maintain it.... But I don't follow them close enough so as to know the details....

Care to elaborate as to what you mean Buckeye?..... I'd appreciate it, because I thought they had the majority of thier players locked-up.....

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Alright guys, it's crunch time!.... I don't ever want to give up, but I saw an interview with Crosby on WPXI Sunday morning, and you could see "the look" in his eyes that it may just be over...

If they can keep Osgood out of thier heads and freakin' skate the way they can, it may continue... One game at a time!

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Alright guys, it's crunch time!.... I don't ever want to give up, but I saw an interview with Crosby on WPXI Sunday morning, and you could see "the look" in his eyes that it may just be over...

If they can keep Osgood out of thier heads and freakin' skate the way they can, it may continue... One game at a time!

It doesn't look good, but I'm keeping the faith bro.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM

...Osgood is killing them... And the missed opportunity with the 5 on 3 in the 3rd period Saturday may be the icing on the cake... But hey, we battled back in '91 from a deficit to win it!..... :wink:

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Let me know what's up with your plans. I'm easy to find. Lots of times, I just stay after work on Friday, so I'll probably already be downtown.

I may attend the game, depending on plans. They're still sucky, but only 5.5 out right now, so that tells ya all ya need to know about the AL Central :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the game's on Saturday, so I hope you don't wait at Flannerys for a day. :lol: :lol:
Usually I don't get there in enough time to hang out before the game, but the
last two games my brother-in-law and I have been heading out there early to
have some drinks. I'll let you know.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM

...Osgood is killing them... And the missed opportunity with the 5 on 3 in the 3rd period Saturday may be the icing on the cake... But hey, we battled back in '91 from a deficit to win it!..... :wink:

It's hard to watch when they have the opportunities and they don't even come close
to capitalizing on them. Then couple that with Osgood stoning them when they do
get through the defense and it's just frustrating.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM

It's hard to watch when they have the opportunities and they don't even come close
to capitalizing on them. Then couple that with Osgood stoning them when they do
get through the defense and it's just frustrating.

It sure is.... Man, I got to watch the game with a whole bar room filled with Pens fans the other night, and I thought most of 'em were going to destroy the place after that 5-3 stint...

Les 74
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
The way that Detroit runs their system is just sick.Makes us look ridiculous.Couple that with the fact the they are playing their A game,while we are playing our D game and that makes for a bad outcome.I'll still pull for them tonight,but I'm afraid that this is where their run ends. :cry:

buckeyehoppy
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Well, the game's on Saturday, so I hope you don't wait at Flannerys for a day. :lol: :lol:
Usually I don't get there in enough time to hang out before the game, but the
last two games my brother-in-law and I have been heading out there early to
have some drinks. I'll let you know.

OOPS!!!

I think I'll eventually get home on Friday!!! :lol: It would help if I consulted that calendar that I bought at the beginning of April.

Look me up, nevertheless. I'm obviously not in hiding :)

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
The way that Detroit runs their system is just sick.Makes us look ridiculous.Couple that with the fact the they are playing their A game,while we are playing our D game and that makes for a bad outcome.I'll still pull for them tonight,but I'm afraid that this is where their run ends. :cry:

I knew they had a veteran team, but just heard a stat...

...They (Detroit) have 10 players with thier name on the Cup at least once. ... Experience is definitely paying-off this year for them.

mshifko
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
win tonight, then win in pittsburgh in front of a packed igloo and set up a do or die game 7...that's my goal. hopefully we work the middle the of the ice a little bit more tonight, detriot takes away the boards awfully well, so we'll see what adjustments therrien made for tonight's game...

GO PENS

Les 74
06-02-2008, 08:11 PM

I knew they had a veteran team, but just heard a stat...

...They (Detroit) have 10 players with thier name on the Cup at least once. ... Experience is definitely paying-off this year for them.

Ya know,it wouldn't be half as bad if Geno wasn't playing the part of the Invisible Man.Fleury also has let some really soft goals go through.I'm not hating on the guy because he was money in the playoffs,but it looks like his Kevlar is finally starting to show some holes.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
A quality opponent will show the weaknesses... And we are a young group. Osgood has our number.

....Did you hear about the Redwing fan who tossed a squid onto the ice in Pgh?.... They ushered him out, he changed clothes, grabbed the spare ticket he purchased for this reason, then walked back in.... Man, I hate opposing fans doing that crap, but I really gotta love his effort, planning, and money spent to carry out the plan!... :lol:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
BTW Les, I love the re-created sig (I heard the story...). Much better IMO!... :wink:

buckeyehoppy
06-02-2008, 08:20 PM

I'm also happy with what I've seen.... What was it, two seasons ago and they were "rock bottom"?.... Yea, Detroit has made them look bad, but they were the "best" team throughout the season, weren't they?.... I expect them to go to the Cup next year and win it... No excuses about "young players" or whatnot... Malkin should be retained, but I'm not sure what "work is cut out" so as to maintain it.... But I don't follow them close enough so as to know the details....

Care to elaborate as to what you mean Buckeye?..... I'd appreciate it, because I thought they had the majority of thier players locked-up.....

I would say that there may not be a whole lot they can do with the salary cap being what it is. I'm sure that Hossa and Malone are gone, so something will have to be done there.

The thing that I would do in addition to getting Malkin under long-term contract is beginning the process of getting MAF and Sid into long-term deals, too.

Those three are the future lynch pins to the Stanley Cup for the Pens. All three are still horribly young to be making a run this deep into the Stanley Cup layoffs. So, the experience will be priceless, I believe.

But this has been a great season for the Pens.

Another thing a friend suggested to me that the Pens still need a real upgrade on the blue line. I like Gonchar and Whitney, but it might be nice if they had a couple D men who are more defensive-minded.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanx Buckeye.... I think Malkin is the more immediate priority, and I really am indifferent as to Malone (but I do think Hossa has much to add).... I'm sure Mario is on-top of things and will start negotiations early.... I also think Crosby will have a bit (maybe small, but some) loyalty so as this will not be an issue...

Damn!... I wish we had enough Pens fans here to get a game-thread going throughout the game!

Les 74
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanx Buckeye.... I think Malkin is the more immediate priority, and I really am indifferent as to Malone (but I do think Hossa has much to add).... I'm sure Mario is on-top of things and will start negotiations early.... I also think Crosby will have a bit (maybe small, but some) loyalty so as this will not be an issue...

Damn!... I wish we had enough Pens fans here to get a game-thread going throughout the game!

I hear ya,bro!!!Maybe next season.And yes,AS has outdone himself yet again with the sig. 8)

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Looks like the Pens were playing their game tonight until that lucky Wings goal.
Hopefully we can get one back and swing the momentum our way again.

As I type this we had 2 got blown opportunities. :x :x

Les 74
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Looks like the Pens were playing their game tonight until that lucky Wings goal.

Yeah,but we look like were back to playing the same way as in the losses. :x

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
jig... The blown opportunities will kill us, IMO.... We have to capitalize on everything to beat Detroit.... One game at a time, it is possible, though....

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Yeah,but we look like were back to playing the same way as in the losses. :x

Keep the faith Les.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Is Chris Osgood really this good or has he been the luckiest bastage on the
planet this last week and a half.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Heck of a save Fleury.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM

...He's on a roll at the right time...

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Crap!..... Malone took the puck straight on!...

Les 74
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM

He's good,but not this good.Red Wings D really helps him out.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM

This doesn't look good. Gonchar and Malone are down. I'd feel a lot better
right now if we come out and scored a quick one.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM

He's good,but not this good.Red Wings D really helps him out.

Even when they break through he makes some unbelievable saves. The one
he had on Crosby was sick.

Les 74
06-02-2008, 09:51 PM

This doesn't look good. Gonchar and Malone are down. I'd feel a lot better
right now if we come out and scored a quick one.

Even if we win this game,it still doesn't look good.If Gonch has a groin pull,then he's done.If Malone's nose is broke,he could play the next game.........possibly.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
One game at a time...... Hell, before the finals started Fleury was the hottest goalie.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I missed the intermission up to this point. Any word on Gonch and Malone?

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Nope!!

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM

...Haven't heard anything...

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM

I just heard they'll both return for the 3rd.

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM

I just heard they'll both return for the 3rd.

Yep.They were just both on the ice. 8)

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Good deal!..... Now... Let's get it on!

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Great save!....

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Crap!.... That was NOT a goal.... At least at this point!

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Crap!.... That was NOT a goal.... At least at this point!

It better not be. Anyway, we need to step up because the Wings are flying.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Even if you're not a fan of hockey, how can you not love this sh!t.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Fleury seems to be in top form.... Good thing, too.....

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Fleury seems to be in top form.... Good thing, too.....

Yes, now let's hope the PK unit is in top form now.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Lucky goal.... Freakin' Osgood still held onto the puck on that off-sides.... :?

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
....You're right jig..... This is what it's all about!.... Great action!

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
They're panicking. I don't feel good about this now.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
That's about it. It seems like Detroit has 2 extra men out there. I don't see how
we're getting that one back.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Yep..... :cry:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
They're panicking. I don't feel good about this now.

...The crowd is in a boiling lather, and it's getting to them.... As you said... Panic.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Not that Malkin is to blame for everything, but I've never seen someone
mishandle the puck so badly. :? :? :?

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I blame about 95% of our losses on Malkin.INVISIBLE............unless he's turning it over. :roll:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I blame about 95% of our losses on Malkin.INVISIBLE............unless he's turning it over. :roll:

He's definitely had a poor final series, that's for sure....

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Fahken ey. We're still in it.

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I.DON'T.BELIEVE.IT!!!! :shock:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Scratch my back with a hacksaw!!!!!!!!

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:41 PM

You Kentuckians. :lol:

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I wish I was in a bar somewhere. I'm going crazy with joy all by myself in my basement.

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I wish I was in a bar somewhere. I'm going crazy with joy all by myself in my basement.

TOO.MUCH.INFORMATION!!!!! :lol: :lol:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:44 PM

You Kentuckians. :lol:

Hey, just a "Mike Lange-ism"..... I hope you understand.... :wink:

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I get excited.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM

I feel your pain.... I've gotta get to bed soon (have to be at work very early).... We had just better score a goal quickly..... :wink:

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:46 PM

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I get excited.

Getting excited is one thing.Getting excited all by yourself in your basement is........ :shock: :lol:

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM

I feel your pain.... I've gotta get to bed soon (have to be at work very early).... We had just better score a goal quickly..... :wink:

Me too. Got to be up at 3:45 A.M. :? :? :?

Let's get one quick.

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Let's get one quick.

...You got me beat...... But only by 15 minutes.... :lol: ..... I've got 4 days on the road, but at least I'll be able to see game #6 (if we get there) from the hotel.... And will be home for #7 if it gets there....

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Let's get one quick.

Gotta get up early,too!!!I gotta take my wife to the airport in the morning.

Jigawatts
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Let's get one quick.

...You got me beat...... But only by 15 minutes.... :lol: ..... I've got 4 days on the road, but at least I'll be able to see game #6 (if we get there) from the hotel.... And will be home for #7 if it gets there....

Yep, I'm hitting the pillow as soon as the games over.
Go ahead Les, spin it into a twisted thought. :lol:

Les 74
06-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Let's get one quick.

Yep, I'm hitting the pillow as soon as the games over.
Go ahead Les, spin it into a twisted thought. :lol:

I would never.......................... :twisted:

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Holy cow!.... Talk about a great bit of action!

NKySteeler
06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Alright folks..... I can't make it any further for the 2nd OT.... Time to turn-on the tv in the bedroom, and the morning is gonna be rough!.... :lol:

....Crazy-good game, though.... Let's Go!!!

birtikidis
06-03-2008, 12:30 AM
i love the pens but we don't deserve to win this series.
24 f'in shots on goal!!!
only 2 shots on goal on power play?!? WTF!!
they are pissin me off!

birtikidis
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
HOLY S H I T! can't believe we won!

costanza2k1
06-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Man this game had me on edge! That was a blast...go Pens!

Jigawatts
06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Game over. We live to play another day. I'm going to be like the walking dead
later this morning after I awake from my 3 hours of sleep, but I have a good story
to tell. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2008, 01:31 AM
I was posting on the Pens forum on the "other board" before I realized that there was a Stanley Cup Finals thread here. I will see you all here on Wednesday. I don't have much more to add at this hour other than to say that this was an instant classic type of game. Go Pens. Let's send this thing back to Motown on Saturday, and take the Cup in the same town where the Steelers took the Lombardi.

Ghost
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Amazing game. Fleury standing on his head and doing cartwheels to make saves. I would have torn every muscle in my legs on some of those saves.

Malone takes a slap shot to the face (with an already broken nose) and retuurns to play with a cotton wad shoved up there. Unbelievable.

Sykora "calls his shot"

I picked up a milk carton this morning and Malkin's face was on it. Anyone seen him? He's been lost the entire series.

Les 74
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Amazing game. Fleury standing on his head and doing cartwheels to make saves. I would have torn every muscle in my legs on some of those saves.

Malone takes a slap shot to the face (with an already broken nose) and retuurns to play with a cotton wad shoved up there. Unbelievable.

Sykora "calls his shot"

I picked up a milk carton this morning and Malkin's face was on it. Anyone seen him? He's been lost the entire series.

Who's Malkin???Oh,you mean the guy wearing #71 that keeps turning the puck over??Yeah,how about his disappearing act?

Jigawatts
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I cringe every time Malkin touches the puck. He either mishandles a pass, looses
the puck, or passes to the wrong team. What happened to him?

At least he got the game winning assist.

motter1975
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Definitely an amazing game.

Always liked the Penguins growing up in the burgh, but never really followed them, especially after moving to VA. I started keeping an eye on how they were doing after they made it to the playoffs last year, but hardly ever could catch the games down here. I've watched all of the playoff games that were televised down here, though, and I must say, I've truly enjoyed watching the games. Don't understand them, but they're fun to watch.

Last night's game, though, that was incredible. Fleury really impressed me with the saves (both quality and quantity) that he was able to make.

I hold out hope that we can win at home on Wed, and force a game 7.

Let's go PENS!!!!

NKySteeler
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Interesting... I posted a comment on this thread from a remote computer at work and it never registered....

Anyway, I echo the sentiments you all have made... It was a great game and a rough morning getting up early.... :lol:

Hope you all enjoy the game Wed... I won't be posting on this new game-thread, and actually will miss most of the 1st period by the time I get to the hotel in Atlanta... But will see the end of it.

Hopefully I will be able to watch #7 at home on Sat if they get the job done!

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I cringe every time Malkin touches the puck. He either mishandles a pass, looses
the puck, or passes to the wrong team. What happened to him?

At least he got the game winning assist.

Game 6 will be Malkin's redemption. Two goals and an assist. For the first time this series, the Pens will look like the better team tonight (even in their two wins, they were pretty much outplayed by the Wings for long stretches of both of them). 5-2 Pens. See y'all back in Detroit for an anything-can-happen Game 7.

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 08:49 PM
So far so bad. Wings get another deflected goal. Pens had some good chances,
but once again can't capitalize. Gonch doesn't look all there.

Les 74
06-04-2008, 08:56 PM
The Pens are looking good moving the puck,but when we get close to the net everything falls apart.

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
At least Gino's looking good tonight. I think he'll make something happen.

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh dam!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-0....not looking good...another crap goal...

Les 74
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Goose..............cooked. :x

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
2-0 wings. That's what happens when you throw the puck at the goal. A goal
off a deflection and a goal off a rebound. Pens look flat. Need to create some luck.

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Roberts had it right there!!! Osgood made a great save...dangit.

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Got to get a PP goal here, but after Roberts couldn't bang that home
my faith is on life support. :(

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM

well let your faith be restored brother. Whoever called out Malkin earlier hit it. Its about time he got his head out of his arse.

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I told you Gino would make it happen. :wink:

Les 74
06-04-2008, 09:44 PM

well let your faith be restored brother. Whoever called out Malkin earlier hit it. Its about time he got his head out of his arse.

Hopefully this opens up the flood gates.And now a frigging penalty on GR. :roll:

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Faith restored. I feel like someone hit me up with a defibrillator.

Gino's got his A game working for him. I see another goal or at least an assist out of him.

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I would like to punch Pierre McGuire in his bald head.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I refuse to accept that there are only 20 minutes left in this magical season. Malkin finally woke up and joined the series with a goal in this game and the primary assist on the game-winner in triple overtime. I look for him to play the period of his life, hitting everything that moves, scoring another goal, and assisting on a Crosby PP goal in the 3rd. Never surrender.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I would like to punch Pierre McGuire in his bald head.

It goes without saying that all guys named Pierre are eminently punchable, even if most of their bald heads tend to be covered up with a raspberry beret (the kind you find in a secondhand store).

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I refuse to accept that there are only 20 minutes left in this magical season. Malkin finally woke up and joined the series with a goal in this game and the primary assist on the game-winner in triple overtime. I look for him to play the period of his life, hitting everything that moves, scoring another goal, and assisting on a Crosby PP goal in the 3rd. Never surrender.

Welcome to the party Ruthless. I agree, Malkin's going to make it happen.
This team will not give up.

Lol at the raspberry beret. :lol:
Now let's win this and party like it's 1999....without the whole y2k fear.

birtikidis
06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
i hate to be negative but, this game was over when we couldn't score on the 5 on 3...

birtikidis
06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
3 shots on goal in the third period.
pathetic.

birtikidis
06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
figures i would post and then right away we score. but is it too little too late?

Les 74
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
3 shots on goal in the third period.
pathetic.

Pathetic pretty much sums up this whole series.How do you look this awful.............at HOME??

Jigawatts
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Heck of an effort. Heck of a season. I can't watch them celebrate. Good night.

birtikidis
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
i hate how we refuse to be aggressive until the very end of the game. we didn't press them at all. it seemed like they had more people on the ice then we ever did. on the 5 on 3 it looked like there were more red wings then pens. SO PATHETIC!

Les 74
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Heck of an effort. Heck of a season. I can't watch them celebrate. Good night.

Same here,jig!!!Night.

birtikidis
06-04-2008, 10:45 PM
was a good season, but seriously, we were way too conservative...

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
WOW!!! Inches away from tying with 2 seconds. You can't ask for much closer finish than that.

AngryAsian
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
My apologies to all of the Pen fans out there. You guys had a great season... the more experience team won. You guys have a great young team that will be competing for several years to come. Congrats on a wonderful season.

Les 74
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
My apologies to all of the Pen fans out there. You guys had a great season... the more experience team won. You guys have a great young team that will be competing for several years to come. Congrats on a wonderful season.

Yes,it was a great run,but I don't know how much we can compete in the coming years.We have a TON of FA's coming up.It sure will be an interesting offseason.

BIG FAN
06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Say what you want or will, the Pens had a more spectacular season then let's say Umm..18-1.

buckeyehoppy
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Any way you slice it, the season is over :(

But it was a fabulous season for the Pens. I feel that they are at least a year ahead of where I figured they would be at the start of the season.

I wanted to start somewhere, but I need to run a quick errand (life break). I will finish with Part II in a little while (i.e: I'll be back and you've been warned :wink: :lol: )

mshifko
06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
a depressing loss for sure, but now the question is can this team stay intact? i would love to see hossa stay, but shedding the "playoff choker" label will merit him a ton of money on the open marker...will malone take 5 mill.+ to leave, or will he take around 3 mill. and stay? will orpik stay or go?

it'll be an interesting off season...

i would love to see our main core of guys: sid, malkin, fleury, staal, etc...stay together for a long, long time...but we'll see. hossa is 30 and hopefully he realizes his best chance to drink from the stanley cup is in pittsburgh...

new season starts in 4 months....thank God for the steelers (and pirates for me)

buckeyehoppy
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Any way you slice it, the season is over :(

But it was a fabulous season for the Pens. I feel that they are at least a year ahead of where I figured they would be at the start of the season.

I wanted to start somewhere, but I need to run a quick errand (life break). I will finish with Part II in a little while (i.e: I'll be back and you've been warned :wink: :lol: )

Back from reality.

The Pens were a victim in this series of their own slow start. I felt that if they were to have any chance, they'd have to win one of the first two games. That didn't happen.

At that point, I figured the Pens goose was cooked. The Wings were and are an impressive team and they were very good in this series.

Therefore, I watched as the Wings lifted the Cup last night after winning the series. The funny thing is that I grew up listening to the Wings when they were on WJR as I grew up. But I never became a fan and I still am not. But watching reminded me of what a great tradition skating the Cup really is and how it will be extra special in the next couple years when the Pens get their chance.

The Pens/Wings series was the best final series since the lockout ended. The Pens have some tactical things to do to ensure a successful future Cup run. One thing that was evident in this series is that the Wings were prepared in a way many teams don't prepare: they beat a team who was equal in most categories, but not in conditioning. All the talk about the Wings being older with more tired legs was a lot of hooey. The Wings knew an innate secret about superior athletes: there are few differences between great teams, but conditioning is the thing that puts the great ones on top.

The Pens simply ran out of gas. They were a much younger team that was arguably fresh. But they weren't quite prepared to play 20+ games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. That will have to change if the Pens are ever to be successful enough to win in the finals.

Over the next couple years, there are three players who must be locked up to ensure a long period of success for the Pens:

Sidney Crosby
Geno Malkin
Marc-Andre Fleury

The others who come aboard to compliment this trio can't be just anybody. They need to have a good mix of experience and raw talent to set the Pens apart from the crowd. The Wings had Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom and the rest of the club had a great mix to compliment this trio. The Pens are close to doing this now, but the FO must do the balancing act to keep the Big Three and stay under the salary cap. This is the hard part. Hopefully, Shero and company can dance the high wire without falling.

I was proud to see the Pens do as well as they did in 2007-2008. They should be back to the finals at least a couple of times in the next five years if the cards are played right. Hopefully, they can keep the puck in sight and not have it squeeze out of their @$$ next time. FWIW, MAF will probably get a chance to skate the Cup at some point for the Pens...but he will never live down that goal. Had that goal not happened at such a crucial time, it would have been absolutely hilarious.

So there you have it. Four months of rest before the next NHL season. And to our dear friend AS: give the Pens a try. They will be on NBC and Versus a lot next season. Watch the games, get to know the sport and get on board for the Pens Big Win. I think you'll find you'll like it! :)

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2008, 08:23 PM
One thing that was evident in this series is that the Wings were prepared in a way many teams don't prepare: they beat a team who was equal in most categories, but not in conditioning. All the talk about the Wings being older with more tired legs was a lot of hooey. The Wings knew an innate secret about superior athletes: there are few differences between great teams, but conditioning is the thing that puts the great ones on top.

The Pens simply ran out of gas. They were a much younger team that was arguably fresh. But they weren't quite prepared to play 20+ games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. That will have to change if the Pens are ever to be successful enough to win in the finals.

I think this is similar to hitting the rookie wall in football. Although the incoming college guys have fresher legs than veterans who have been in the league for a decade or more, college guys are used to playing a abbreviated scheduled compared to what they will face in the pros (4 preseason games, 16 regular games, and then possibly the playoffs as well). In hockey, the young Pens were used to having their season end in early April, not early June. Even though they are younger, they simply weren't used to those extra two months of hockey after an already grueling regular season. Their raw talent helped them through the Eastern conference playoffs, and they showed some grit and determination in the final, but you could tell that many of them were giving valient effort while obviously running on fumes.

They learned from the experience of getting swept by Ottawa in the first round last year, and hopefully they can learn from this defeat in the finals for next year. Remember, Gretzky's Oilers got swept by the Islanders in their first trip to the finals before coming back and starting a new dynasty. It looked like we could get swept after those first two whitewashes in Detroit, but you've got to admire the guys for hanging in there and not rolling over and dying. If they are able to keep most of this core together, we can look forward to another great run next year and beyond.