PDA

View Full Version : Newsflash..... Payday.

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Only Peyton Manning and Big Ben now make more money than Newbie Ryan that just signed with Atlanta....... Absolutely crazy!

anothersteelerfan
05-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Only Peyton Manning and Big Ben now make more money than Newbie Ryan that just signed with Atlanta....... Absolutely crazy!

Actually I think he got more guaranteed money then Peyton did.

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Wouldn't be suprised...... I think 34+ in guaranteed $$$.... Does that sound right? ... NFL Live just said that Peyton and Ben were the only two above him....

anothersteelerfan
05-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Wouldn't be suprised...... I think 34+ in guaranteed $$$.... Does that sound right? ... NFL Live just said that Peyton and Ben were the only two above him....
ESPN reported 34.7 guaranteed, Peyton's guaranteed was 34.5. That's pretty sad and would really be sad if he doesn't pan out.

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 01:43 AM
ESPN reported 34.7 guaranteed, Peyton's guaranteed was 34.5. That's pretty sad and would really be sad if he doesn't pan out.

...Again.... Crazy money for a rookie..... :?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-22-2008, 01:45 AM
what bothers me most about this thread.

Ben's money... couldn't he have landed in the "top 10" area.. not "top 2"....

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 01:47 AM

....So you're suggesting he should have got less?..... Just curious.... I think I know where you're goin'.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-22-2008, 01:54 AM

....So you're suggesting he should have got less?..... Just curious.... I think I know where you're goin'.
i'm not headed down the "Tom Brady took less" path. But, I'm suggesting that the team seemed to just open the check book... this one will be renegotiated several times if he plays a significant number of years.

I guess I'm still stuck in 90's steelers FO mentality.

anothersteelerfan
05-22-2008, 01:56 AM

i'm not headed down the "Tom Brady took less" path. But, I'm suggesting that the team seemed to just open the check book... this one will be renegotiated several times if he plays a significant number of years.

I guess I'm still stuck in 90's steelers FO mentality.
Sometimes I miss the old days before information overload and I knew a lot less about salaries and guys characters off the field.

stlrz d
05-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Ryan only got $1.3 million less guaranteed than Ben...on a 6 year deal. If Ryan and Ben only made the guarantee for the life of their respective deals(6 years Ryan, 8 years Ben), Ryan would actually make more...$5.78 mil to $4.5 mil per year.

We know neither will make just the guaranteed money, but you get the idea.

rpmpit
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
The fact that an unproven rookie's salary is being compared to proven qbs (Super Bowl winning qbs) is ridiculous. But you can't blame Ryan. It is what it is. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

calmkiller
05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Rookie Contracts are stupid. What happens if this kid is Ryan Leaf 2.0? It is Atlanta thought. They had a RB play QB for 5 years so I guess they aren't all that smart to start with.

proudpittsburgher
05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Rookie Contracts are stupid. What happens if this kid is Ryan Leaf 2.0? It is Atlanta thought. They had a RB play QB for 5 years so I guess they aren't all that smart to start with.

These kind of contracts are what ruins the system for everyone. Ryan's agent just changed the market as the NFL knew it. Teams like Atlanta making this move, along with Washington's contracts with Randel El, etc. are really ruining it for the league.