PDA

View Full Version : NFL to shorten preseason, lengthen regular season?

SteelerNation1
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 20, 2008, 8:18 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

A 17th regular-season game could replace a fourth preseason game and the possibility comes at a time that the league is not satisfied with the quality of the preseason. The league made a presentation to owners about ways to improve the current preseason Tuesday.

Under the current system, most NFL teams play 20 games -- four in the preseason and 16 during the regular season. Because of injury concerns to starters, many teams play starters for only a series in the preseason opener and often don't play starters in the final preseason game.

"We are not satisfied with the quality of the preseason right now," Goodell said. "We'd like to improve on that."

By adding a 17th regular-season game, more revenue could be created to help in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. NFL owners voted 32-0 on Tuesday to shorten the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA to 2011, with 2010 being played without a salary cap.

"It would create new revenue," Goodell said. "Our thought process was we might reduce preseason by a game in return for that. Actually, the players would still play the same number of games. It could give us an opportunity to play a higher quality of football."

Goodell noted that the NFL used to have six preseason games.

"Now, it's become more of a year-round business," Goodell said. "Athletes come in better prepared for the season both physically and mentally. Is it necessary to play four preseason games to get the players prepared to play in the regular season?"

For competitive purposes, the ninth home game would alternate between the conferences every other year, should the NFL use the 17th game option.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw didn't seem thrilled with the possibility of playing 17 regular-season games.

"No, it's great to have more revenue," Upshaw said. "Any discussion we've had with them about playing another game, they've always said, they would like to do it, but they don't want to pay for it. They say, 'Why should you be concerned, you get 60 percent?' But we also get paid on games played.

"We're not going to agree to play an extra game and not get paid for it. That's what they want us to do," he said. "That discussion is going to be very short."

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

LasVegasGuy
05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 20, 2008, 8:18 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

A 17th regular-season game could replace a fourth preseason game and the possibility comes at a time that the league is not satisfied with the quality of the preseason. The league made a presentation to owners about ways to improve the current preseason Tuesday.

Under the current system, most NFL teams play 20 games -- four in the preseason and 16 during the regular season. Because of injury concerns to starters, many teams play starters for only a series in the preseason opener and often don't play starters in the final preseason game.

"We are not satisfied with the quality of the preseason right now," Goodell said. "We'd like to improve on that."

By adding a 17th regular-season game, more revenue could be created to help in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. NFL owners voted 32-0 on Tuesday to shorten the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA to 2011, with 2010 being played without a salary cap.

"It would create new revenue," Goodell said. "Our thought process was we might reduce preseason by a game in return for that. Actually, the players would still play the same number of games. It could give us an opportunity to play a higher quality of football."

Goodell noted that the NFL used to have six preseason games.

"Now, it's become more of a year-round business," Goodell said. "Athletes come in better prepared for the season both physically and mentally. Is it necessary to play four preseason games to get the players prepared to play in the regular season?"

For competitive purposes, the ninth home game would alternate between the conferences every other year, should the NFL use the 17th game option.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw didn't seem thrilled with the possibility of playing 17 regular-season games.

"No, it's great to have more revenue," Upshaw said. "Any discussion we've had with them about playing another game, they've always said, they would like to do it, but they don't want to pay for it. They say, 'Why should you be concerned, you get 60 percent?' But we also get paid on games played.

"We're not going to agree to play an extra game and not get paid for it. That's what they want us to do," he said. "That discussion is going to be very short."

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

4 pre-season games is a little excessive. I say drop two of them for one more regular season game. There are some teams playing 5 pre-season games which is down right ridiculous.

SteelerNation1
05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I like it the way it is. I dislike the idea of rotating the 17th game from NFC to AFC.

LasVegasGuy
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I like it the way it is. I dislike the idea of rotating the 17th game from NFC to AFC.

Why. Some years you would be able to go to 9 Steeler regular season games and other years it stays at 8. I don't really see a problem with that. I'm sure you have been to a preseason game before? Is there anything more boring then that other then soccer?

SteelerNation1
05-21-2008, 12:07 AM

Why. Some years you would be able to go to 9 Steeler regular season games and other years it stays at 8. I don't really see a problem with that. I'm sure you have been to a preseason game before? Is there anything more boring then that other then soccer?
While I would LOVE going to that extra game, I would hate the off year of having to play an extra road game. Plus, wouldn't throw off the balanced scheduling. WOuldn't every AFC team have to play an extra NFC team home or away every year?

SteelerNation1
05-21-2008, 12:11 AM
For the record I actually enjoy the preseason games. Kind of my "warm up games." I think of the preseason as my time to actually be a "regular fan." The games are basically stress-free. As long as we get through injury free I am happy.

During the regular season I am screaming and cussing. I get in trouble from wife/parents/neighbors. It's a mess.

LasVegasGuy
05-21-2008, 12:14 AM

While I would LOVE going to that extra game, I would hate the off year of having to play an extra road game. Plus, wouldn't throw off the balanced scheduling. WOuldn't every AFC team have to play an extra NFC team home or away every year?

If they are rotating conferences each year then I would say you are right we would get stuck with an extra NFC team each year. I still think it's worth it for losing a meaningless preseason.

SteelerNation1
05-21-2008, 12:16 AM

If they are rotating conferences each year then I would say you are right we would get stuck with an extra NFC team each year. I still think it's worth it for losing a meaningless preseason.
I assume they'd try to get interseting rival matchups. Something tells me we'd play Philly every year.

Djfan
05-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Rogie will use it to have every team play in Bangladesh every year.

This guy must have been a Govt middle manager before this job. You know the old adage of Govt: "If it works, fix it 'till it's broke!"

papillon
05-21-2008, 05:46 AM

Hey, hey, hey, soccer was minding its own business, there's no need to bash soccer. The Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV rock.

Pappy

rpmpit
05-21-2008, 07:23 AM
How could an extra Steeler game every year be a bad thing??? I say go for it.

papillon
05-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Right now, I think the NFL season is too long. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching football and don't mind the current 16 game schedule. However, adding another high intensity regular season game while entertaining can't be good for the players health and in the long run may diminish some of the playoff match ups due to injury.

I would prefer that they just eliminate 2 pre-season games and then start the regular 16 game season. Players are training year round and coaches are seeing their rookies at OTAs and other mandatory team events. There's no need for 4 pre-season games.

If they could get the Super Bowl back into the middle of January some outdoor teams could have a chance at hosting the Super Bowl (maybe).

Pappy

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Right now, I think the NFL season is too long. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching football and don't mind the current 16 game schedule. However, adding another high intensity regular season game while entertaining can't be good for the players health and in the long run may diminish some of the playoff match ups due to injury.

I would prefer that they just eliminate 2 pre-season games and then start the regular 16 game season. Players are training year round and coaches are seeing their rookies at OTAs and other mandatory team events. There's no need for 4 pre-season games.

If they could get the Super Bowl back into the middle of January some outdoor teams could have a chance at hosting the Super Bowl (maybe).

Pappy

I agree 100%. Sixteen games is enough. I'd be OK with 2 pre-season games and have them every two weeks starting in late July. I think the ones who lose out are rookies who would oose opportunities to get evaluated in game conditions. To fix that, I'd like to see practcie squads expanded and have them set up in a two tier system with half the roster in a "preferred developmental" status that they can't be signed away and the other half that can like in the current system. That way with a shortened pre-season you can still evaluate/develop rookies.

Iron Shiek
05-21-2008, 08:40 AM

Hey, hey, hey, soccer was minding its own business, there's no need to bash soccer. The Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV rock.

Pappy

Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! :lol: Go Man U!

MeetJoeGreene
05-21-2008, 08:53 AM
For the record I actually enjoy the preseason games. Kind of my "warm up games." I think of the preseason as my time to actually be a "regular fan." The games are basically stress-free. As long as we get through injury free I am happy.

During the regular season I am screaming and cussing. I get in trouble from wife/parents/neighbors. It's a mess.

Personally, I like preseason games as well. It gives us a chance to see players that we may not see as much during the season -- perhaps glimpses at the future. Before Ben, I used to watch preseason with high hopes that we would discover our QB of the future to replace Kordell.

From a football perspective, I don't know what is needed. THe players and the coaches know that. The players and owners won't be objective as they may want the extra game for $$$ purposes.

I worry about what lengthening the season will do to the length of player's careers. Will it have an impact on their longevity? Or make the end of the season more subject to exhaustion (poor play) and injurires.

There are a lot of factors to consider... but I think it will happen regardless for financial reasons.

papillon
05-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Pappy

Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! :lol: Go Man U!

Didier Drogba is the finisher and Lampard will be the supplier. :wink: Wish I was there to join at the pub, particularly, since, we're on opposite sides of the match. :twisted:

Pappy

ghettoscott
05-21-2008, 09:18 AM

I donít know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on. :|

Iron Shiek
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM

I donít know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on. :|

Ehh, its a friendly. Today is for the Championship! I actually went to US v. England friendly in Chicago a few years ago. Great experience.

ghettoscott
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Ehh, its a friendly. Today is for the Championship! I actually went to US v. England friendly in Chicago a few years ago. Great experience.

damn good point....Lion and Rose here i come!

MeetJoeGreene
05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Sounds like we need a soccer forum..... :P

proudpittsburgher
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Agreed. For someone like me, I don't get to come into Pittsburgh very often anymore, and I always try and make it in for a preseason game. One of the reason is because I won't have to pay out the wahoo for tickets, and the other is it is a less stressful game. If I fork over the gas money and 100+ bucks a ticket to a regular season game, and they lose, I'm going to be honked off for multiple reasons.

1. I paid a lot of money
2. the Steelers lost
3. I traveled quite a ways

That is why I spend the regular season in front of my tv and sunday ticket. Preseason sis cheaper, warmer and I can enjoy it. Plus, I always love when they do the Pirates game in the day and the Steelers game at night. Awesome day/night double dip! This year they plit it up, but that just gives me another reason to stay in the Burgh another night.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Don't know if I like the sound of another game if its played on our field.I think it gets used and abused enough already.Pretty soon we'll have to rename Heinz Field to the Pittsburgh Quagmire. :lol:

papillon
05-21-2008, 10:49 AM

Sounds like we need a soccer forum..... :P

What, for all three of us? :P

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-21-2008, 08:26 PM
MAN U!!!

It was great at the pub when Ronaldo missed his penalty kick this Chelsea d-bag was flickin' off the entire bar. Then when Terry and Anelka missed he fell to his knees and held his head in shame. Got to excited.

Which is exactly how Browns fans will feel by week 8. Right now they are the d-bag flicking the entire league off too prematurely.

(had to tie this back to football so i didn't get flamed for starting a soccer discussion)

LasVegasGuy
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM

Dudes, if I remember right when the ball goes out of bounds the time keeps running. It also goes to 0.00 and the game doesn't end. Am I correct or was I watching some sorry a.s.s. officiating?

Iron Shiek
05-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Dudes, if I remember right when the ball goes out of bounds the time keeps running. It also goes to 0.00 and the game doesn't end. Am I correct or was I watching some sorry a.s.s. officiating?

Yes you saw it right, but no commercials!!

papillon
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Okay, LVG, here's the 50 cent tour of soccer for those that do not see the beauty of the beautiful game and can't watch a match. The clock never stops in a soccer match, however, there are times during each half where the clock is running and the game is not being played, e.g. injury, after a goal, ball into the stands.

The referee notes the time lost and adds it to the end of each half, this is known as stoppage time. If you've never watched a soccer match from start to end, I suggest you give it a try. There are never any commercials or stoppage of play, it's awesome to see a game played the way the designers of the game intended, that is, w/o commercials.

All advertising is done during the game via rolling banners around the field and occasionally in the crawler part of the screen.

As for yesterday's game, I didn't see it, but, my wife told me that the first half was rather sloppy, give aways in the mid-field, passes not finding their mark and some miscommunication. Evidently, the 2nd half was played at the level you would expect from the two best club teams in the world.

1-1 and a Man U victory 6-5 in a shootout. Good stuff! Congrats Shiek!

Pappy

ghettoscott
05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
^

I missed it as well :evil: Couldnít leave work. When i got home one of the sports networks was replaying it...caught it at the 77th minute. Pretty entertaining from that point on. I am definitely getting out of here for next weeks friendly.

papillon
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
^

I missed it as well :evil: Couldnít leave work. When i got home one of the sports networks was replaying it...caught it at the 77th minute. Pretty entertaining from that point on. I am definitely getting out of here for next weeks friendly.

Well, Ghetto, you make 4 of us that are the "original" football fans...we're growing in number.

By the way, I dig the "rockin cat" :D

Pappy

I just want to know what the cat is listening to. :D

Shawn
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I never thought I would see the day when NFL fans discussed soccer. This is a very sad day in the SMG household. Can I say that I'm disappointed in each and every one of you. :| :cry:

:lol:

Les 74
05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
I never thought I would see the day when NFL fans discussed soccer. This is a very sad day in the SMG household. Can I say that I'm disappointed in each and every one of you. :| :cry:

Agreed!!Why don't we have a discussion about golf(or boring sport #2 as I like to call it)while we're at it?? :wink: :lol:

Shawn
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
What next a forum on the ballet? How about we start a quilting section for you pansies.

Les 74
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
What next a forum on the ballet? How about we start a quilting section for you pansies.

SMG,re-opening that whole can of worms. :lol: :lol:

ghettoscott
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, Ghetto, you make 4 of us that are the "original" football fans...we're growing in number.

By the way, I dig the "rockin cat" :D

Pappy

I just want to know what the cat is listening to. :D

It is true, i dig Football played with the round ball as well as the
oblong ball. If Ghetto Jr grows up and plays either football i will be one happy Ghetto Dad.

..and the cat is jamming out to this stellar track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtkJlXHOsM

:wink:

papillon
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM

I guess the ballet is a bad thing? Eff you, the honeymoon is over. :P

Have a little bit of this:

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/48/48/1/58/46/376815846GSTcFc_th.jpg

or this:

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/26/26/1/59/42/376815942kUuPMu_th.jpg

Hey, while I'm at it, I hear Tiger Woods is going to miss the US Open this year. Now for the uninitiated (cough, SMG) the US Open is different from The Open which is also known as the British Open. Did you also know that to win the grand slam in golf you have to win the Masters, US Open, The Open and The PGA all in the same year. SMG you can check the leader board for the US Open here:

US Open Leader Board (http://www.usopen.com/en_US/index.html)

You can go here for a little history lesson in quilting as well:

History of Quilting (http://www.womenfolk.com/historyofquilts/)

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smiles/flipoff.gif

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smiles/moon.gif

Hehehe... :P

Pappy

Shawn
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Wooh Wooh there papmaster...settle down...down disrespect intended. If you want watch musicals in lingerie...then more power to you. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :P :lol:

Iron Shiek
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks Pap. Sorry it didn't work out for your team. And when I referred to "that Chelsea d-bag" I didn't mean all Chelsea fans are d-bags, just that particular one for acting that way before anything was decided.

As for SMG, in the words of Lex Luthor, "go eff yourself." :lol: :lol: :lol:

papillon
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Pap. Sorry it didn't work out for your team. And when I referred to "that Chelsea d-bag" I didn't mean all Chelsea fans are d-bags, just that particular one for acting that way before anything was decided.

I'm actually a Barcelona fan, but, having to choose between Man U and Chelsea I opted for Chelses. Drogba's one of my favorite players and I enjoy watching Lampard as well.

Ronaldo is good to watch he's got some quick feet and speed to burn.

I didn't really have a dog in the fight and opted for Chelsea, mostly, so that, I could agitate our youngest son's soccer coach. He's a huge Man U fan. I wear stuff to practice and games just to get his goat.

Pappy

papillon
05-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Wooh Wooh there papmaster...settle down...down disrespect intended. If you want watch musicals in lingerie...then more power to you. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :P :lol:

I fail to see the problem watching women dance in lingerie. :shock: Doesn't your wife do that for you? :wink:

Pappy

BIG FAN
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Ballet, soccer?
YOI!

Anyways, I'm all in favor of dropping one pre-season game.
I think it would tend to create more of a sense of urgency coming out of camp.
Plus another reg. season game (albeit intermittently) at home is a big plus.

Iron Shiek
05-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Ballet, soccer?
YOI!

You said urgency and it makes me think of those fringe guys. With one less pre-season game their back is definitely against the wall to perform.

From what I hear when coaches talk though, I think they would be totally against chopping off a preseason game. They want to see as much as they can from these fringe guys to make sure they are making the right choices in their cuts. This would put a lot more pressure on the coach in making these decisions. It sucks for fans to have to watch preseason, but coaches relish in it because they can give good hard looks to all their players and try different schemes as well.

Les 74
05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Ballet, soccer?
YOI!

Leave it to BF to straighten out a perfectly good hijacked thread. :lol:

Jigawatts
05-22-2008, 04:06 PM

Pappy:D

Count me in Pap. I played through college, Mrs. Jiga played a year in college, and our little jiga girls are destined for stardom.

AngryAsian
05-23-2008, 03:01 AM

I'm actually a Barcelona fan, but, having to choose between Man U and Chelsea I opted for Chelses. Drogba's one of my favorite players and I enjoy watching Lampard as well.

I didn't really have a dog in the fight and opted for Chelsea, mostly, so that, I could agitate our youngest son's soccer coach. He's a huge Man U fan. I wear stuff to practice and games just to get his goat.

Pappy

Between Rooney, Teves, and C. Ronaldo.... it was Man U's to lose. I can't believe it dramatically came down to the sudden death PKs in the pouring rain. Drama to the extreme.

papillon
05-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Pappy

Between Rooney, Teves, and C. Ronaldo.... it was Man U's to lose. I can't believe it dramatically came down to the sudden death PKs in the pouring rain. Drama to the extreme.

I'm hoping for a replay on FSC or GOLTV. I couldn't escape the man to go home and watch the game. Ronaldo is strong, fast and has the quickest feet on any human being and very entertaining to watch.

On the other hand, Drogba manages to make something out of nothing more often than not. It will appear that he's boxed in and manages a cross or pass out of nothing, quite amazing really.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Pappy

I'm hoping for a replay on FSC or GOLTV. I couldn't escape the man to go home and watch the game. Ronaldo is strong, fast and has the quickest feet on any human being and very entertaining to watch.

On the other hand, Drogba manages to make something out of nothing more often than not. It will appear that he's boxed in and manages a cross or pass out of nothing, quite amazing really.

Pappy

You might get lucky with ESPN Classic or something, I doubt FSC or GOL will show it as ESPN has sole rights to that tourney in US I believe, but maybe you get lucky there too.

As for Ronaldo, simply amazing. That guy put on a couple dribbling clinics during the game, even in the rain he was amazing. I used to like Drogba, and he's still good, but I can argue that he dives more frequently than most soccer players.

Well, you have a week or so to breathe, and then the Euro Championships comin up! Ronaldo I think can will his team to at least the semifinals. They or Spain would be my pick. Spain always seems to choke in World Cup, so they bounce back here i think.

Speaking of a major soccer tourney beginning, sad time coming up. Keep Big Ben off the motorcycles. I'll never forget that day I was watching the World Cup kick off and the crawl at the bottom told of Ben's ordeal. I really thought dude was going to die. That was crazy.

Oviedo
05-23-2008, 08:30 AM

Count me in Pap. I played through college, Mrs. Jiga played a year in college, and our little jiga girls are destined for stardom.

My daughters play premier level soccer here in Florida. Being a soccer dad is the greatest thing in the world. You won't have a free weekend until they graduate high school. Get a DVR for Steeler games.

My middle daughter's coach is from Scotland and has converted me into a Glasgow Rangers fan and I have made him a Steeler fan. Good deal on both parts.

papillon
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM

My daughters play premier level soccer here in Florida. Being a soccer dad is the greatest thing in the world. You won't have a free weekend until they graduate high school. Get a DVR for Steeler games.

My middle daughter's coach is from Scotland and has converted me into a Glasgow Rangers fan and I have made him a Steeler fan. Good deal on both parts.

Our youngest son's coach is from England and a huge Man U fan. Our oldest son was coached by a former MISL soccer player.

I love the game and the way it's played. I hate the drama queens that dive at the drop of a hat and when they see that a foul was called recover miraaculously. That's the only part about the game that I hate.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM

No kidding! Both my little ones play, they still at the lowest levels of learning...6 and 5 yrs. old. Its still fun to watch and coach them.

Jigawatts
05-23-2008, 02:02 PM
I love the game and the way it's played. I hate the drama queens that dive at the drop of a hat and when they see that a foul was called recover miraaculously. That's the only part about the game that I hate.

Pappy

Agreed Pap. That's really one part of the game I hate. Other than that, even if you're a soccer hater, you have to appreciate the skill that these men and women have. Check out some Ronaldinho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hWIplH ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hWIplHVeE&feature=related)

Oviedo
05-23-2008, 02:45 PM
If you love hockey you should appreciate soccer. The strategy is so much the same.

It is a great sport for kids and we have made great friends. If your kids stay in it, most of your friends will end up being other soccer parents and your kids best friends will be the ones they play with.

We are on the short countdown. The oldest has graduated HS and doesn't play anymore and the next one is a freshman in HS. So we have about 3 more years to enjoy. It is pretty much a year round activity here in FL.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
If you love hockey you should appreciate soccer. The strategy is so much the same.

It is a great sport for kids and we have made great friends. If your kids stay in it, most of your friends will end up being other soccer parents and your kids best friends will be the ones they play with.

We are on the short countdown. The oldest has graduated HS and doesn't play anymore and the next one is a freshman in HS. So we have about 3 more years to enjoy. It is pretty much a year round activity here in FL.

I don't necessarily dislike soccer...I just never got into it. Hockey just combines the best of soccer with the best of football...grace and speed and physicality...much better.

papillon
05-23-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't necessarily dislike soccer...I just never got into it. Hockey just combines the best of soccer with the best of football...grace and speed and physicality...much better.

You would enjoy lacrosse then, it's a bit of hockey (hitting), soccer (tactic) and basketball (hand eye coord and shooting at a goal with your hands). I love it for kids, particularly ones that enjoy a little contact, all contact has to be above the waist and from the front. All referees make sure that these rules are followed, there are no pads below the waist. Great game though...they call it the fastest game on two feet.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2008, 03:52 PM

You would enjoy lacrosse then, it's a bit of hockey (hitting), soccer (tactic) and basketball (hand eye coord and shooting at a goal with your hands). I love it for kids, particularly ones that enjoy a little contact, all contact has to be above the waist and from the front. All referees make sure that these rules are followed, there are no pads below the waist. Great game though...they call it the fastest game on two feet.

Pappy

I applied to go to school at Johns Hopkins back in the day, and when I went to visit, some folks introduced me to lacrosse, since that is huge there. I ended up going to Cornell though (there is no contest between the atmosphere in Ithaca, NY vs. Baltimore, MD), and while they don't have the tradition of Hopkins or Syracuse in that particular sport (we are more of a hockey school), they still had a pretty good team. I managed to find the national semifinal game on TV around this time last year between undefeated Cornell and top ranked Duke, who was just coming off a year without a team because of the sex scandal down there. That was an epic match in which Cornell was able to come back from 7 down before losing in the final minute. Personally, I think of lacrosse as better than soccer, but not quite up to the level of football or hockey.

papillon
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM

Pappy

I applied to go to school at Johns Hopkins back in the day, and when I went to visit, some folks introduced me to lacrosse, since that is huge there. I ended up going to Cornell though (there is no contest between the atmosphere in Ithaca, NY vs. Baltimore, MD), and while they don't have the tradition of Hopkins or Syracuse in that particular sport (we are more of a hockey school), they still had a pretty good team. I managed to find the national semifinal game on TV around this time last year between undefeated Cornell and top ranked Duke, who was just coming off a year without a team because of the sex scandal down there. That was an epic match in which Cornell was able to come back from 7 down before losing in the final minute. Personally, I think of lacrosse as better than soccer, but not quite up to the level of football or hockey.

Awesome NCAA final lacrosse game today (Syracuse vs Johns Hopkins) on ESPN and no commercials, Syracuse put a clinic on and a kid from Hopkins singlehandedly kept them in the game by scoring 6 goals. Great game and shown in its entirety w/ no commercials! Final score Syracuse 13 and Hopkins 10.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
05-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Pappy

I agree that adding another game is not good for the players or the quality of play. I guess the two are directly linked. Sometimes games hinge on key starters playing or sitting. In most cases, not having injuries to key players is luck. There may not be a need for 4 preseason games but the owners are not willing to give up the money preseason games generate. Goodell must think people are morons if he believes we think it is about the quality of preseason play. I think it is more about another greedy revenue stream.

papillon
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM

Pappy

I agree that adding another game is not good for the players or the quality of play. I guess the two are directly linked. Sometimes games hinge on key starters playing or sitting. In most cases, not having injuries to key players is luck. There may not be a need for 4 preseason games but the owners are not willing to give up the money preseason games generate. Goodell must think people are morons if he believes we think it is about the quality of preseason play. I think it is more about another greedy revenue stream.

Here's an even better idea, remove one pre-season game and add another bye week starting around week 10. It takes 17 weeks to play 16 games w/ one bye, so, take 18 weeks to play 16 games w/ 2 byes. Hopefully, this would help teams get healthy for the stretch run to the playoffs and, maybe, have teams healthier and stronger for a better playoff run.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Pappy

Here's an even better idea, remove one pre-season game and add another bye week starting around week 10. It takes 17 weeks to play 16 games w/ one bye, so, take 18 weeks to play 16 games w/ 2 byes. Hopefully, this would help teams get healthy for the stretch run to the playoffs and, maybe, have teams healthier and stronger for a better playoff run.

Pappy

I remember about ten years ago they did the two bye system. They ditched the idea for one reason or another but I don't recall why. I doubt they'd go back to that unless that extra week would really make a difference. While it would be nice for the teams, the NFL is primarily considering this strictly from the monetary aspect. A bye week would not accomplish what they are setting out to do by adding the extra week/game.

papillon
05-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Pappy

Pappy

I remember about ten years ago they did the two bye system. They ditched the idea for one reason or another but I don't recall why. I doubt they'd go back to that unless that extra week would really make a difference. While it would be nice for the teams, the NFL is primarily considering this strictly from the monetary aspect. A bye week would not accomplish what they are setting out to do by adding the extra week/game.

That may be a shortsighted view of things on their part. Keeping players healthy and having more competitive games late in the season may be financially astute in the long run, but, that's a difficult sell to the here-and-now world we live in.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Completely agree with you Pap. I'd rather see the "best" the NFL has to offer on the field week in and week out.