PDA

View Full Version : Steelers aren't making the playoffs?

anothersteelerfan
05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Six NFL teams unlikely to make playoff returns in ‘08

By Mike Florio - SportingNews 5 hours, 58 minutes ago

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

This year, expectations are high again—especially with the Bengals imploding, the Ravens rebuilding, and the Browns generally regarded as overrated. In other words, the stage is set for the Steelers to fail.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=s ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sixnflteamsunlikelytomak&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

The Bungles are imploding, the Ravens are rebuilding, the Stains are overrated and the Steelers are set to fail. Florio someone has to make the playoffs. :lol:

blacknblue80s
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Our season does hinge on the performance of the o-line.

I have been drinking the "o-line is better than we think" kool-aid since the draft.
There wasn't an o-lieman available in the 1st, we were lucky to get Mendy and Sweed where we did and I just choose to look at the glass as half full.

I know the Bummer Bobs and Debbie Downers http://snltranscripts.jt.org/05/pics/05adowner.jpg see it differently but I choose to believe we will go 11-5 and be SB contenders this year.

LasVegasGuy
05-20-2008, 08:43 PM

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

This year, expectations are high again—especially with the Bengals imploding, the Ravens rebuilding, and the Browns generally regarded as overrated. In other words, the stage is set for the Steelers to fail.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=s ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sixnflteamsunlikelytomak&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

The Bungles are imploding, the Ravens are rebuilding, the Stains are overrated and the Steelers are set to fail. Florio someone has to make the playoffs. :lol:

Sounds like a lot of "Douchebaggery" to me. He does realize someone has to win the division, right?

Bungles implounding, Ravens rebuilding, Browns overrated, Steelers to fail. Well, Einstein reporter who wins the North?

Les 74
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Ummm,shouldn't we make the playoffs by default?Remember the division we play in.

SteelerNation1
05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I have been saying all along...The Steelers will win the division if they have a better record against the Bungles and Ravens than the Browns do. Simple as that.

anothersteelerfan
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

Sounds like a lot of "Douchebaggery" to me. He does realize someone has to win the division, right?

Bungles implounding, Ravens rebuilding, Browns overrated, Steelers to fail. Well, Einstein reporter who wins the North?

I read that part and kind of missed what else he had to say, because that's all I could think of, you do realize someone has to win the division, right?

Iron Shiek
05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Unless there's an expansion team in Columbus called the Buckeyes that the league forgot to tell everyone about, I'm pretty sure that Steelers win the division, leading this Florio genius to retire hopefully for lack of common sense.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Unless there's an expansion team in Columbus called the Buckeyes that the league forgot to tell everyone about, I'm pretty sure that Steelers win the division, leading this Florio genius to retire hopefully for lack of common sense.

I seriously believe the Buckeyes could beat the Ravens this season.

LasVegasGuy
05-20-2008, 09:53 PM

I hate to say it by I am more worried about the Ravens then I am the Browns. For some reason those pesky Ravens are just that pesky. As for the Browns they will continue to be our bee-atch and as long as they have Anderson and Crennell they aren't going anywhere fast.

papillon
05-20-2008, 10:46 PM

You need to come out of your man cave and get some fresh air. :P

Pappy

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
The Steelers will make the playoffs after winning the AFC North with a 10-6 record. Every year the national sports media predicts the Steelers will fail. The anti-Steelers bias is just amazing.

steeld95
05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
The Steelers will make the playoffs after winning the AFC North with a 10-6 record. Every year the national sports media predicts the Steelers will fail. The anti-Steelers bias is just amazing.

Yeah, it amazes me that people would pick the Browns or Ravens in the North. The Steelers have pretty much owned the division since the mid 90's and I don't see it changing this year.

proudpittsburgher
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Yeah, it amazes me that people would pick the Browns or Ravens in the North. The Steelers have pretty much owned the division since the mid 90's and I don't see it changing this year.

Ah, but they have to be able to say they picked it if they happen to get it right. These three all come around and becoem the sexy pick, but the tried-and-true Steelers always seem to get it done consistently. I'll take tried-and-true over one and done anyday.

Steeler Mafia
05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. Year after year it is the same thing. Why is it that the Steelers are trated as the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL?

"No respect, I tell ya! No respect at all!"

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. Year after year it is the same thing. Why is it that the Steelers are trated as the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL?

They get no respect because the owner doesn't seek national media attention so they can fill their ESPN sound bites. The Steelers don't invite the national media into their draft room. The Steelers generate no controversy in the off season to give journalists fodder for stories. To the national media we are just boring, hard working, blue collar types who aren't sexy enough to report on.

Oh and we are just successful being that way and it eats at the guts of those who have to find stories to make a living and keep their jobs. Keep in mind that there is very little real journalism going on. It is all about "wow" stories and soundbites that fit ESPN updates. The sports media is no different than the rest of the mainstream media.

proudpittsburgher
05-21-2008, 11:38 AM

They get no respect because the owner doesn't seek national media attention so they can fill their ESPN sound bites. The Steelers don't invite the national media into their draft room. The Steelers generate no controversy in the off season to give journalists fodder for stories. To the national media we are just boring, hard working, blue collar types who aren't sexy enough to report on.

Oh and we are just successful being that way and it eats at the guts of those who have to find stories to make a living and keep their jobs. Keep in mind that there is very little real journalism going on. It is all about "wow" stories and soundbites that fit ESPN updates. The sports media is no different than the rest of the mainstream media.

I had a discussion with a co-worker today about the NBA playoffs. Mind you, I really could give a rats arse abotu the NBA, but I can hold a discussion about it. He hates the Spurs. So I ask, "why?" "Because they are boring" he says. Boring seems to be getting it done" I say. "Yea, but they are too boring", he replies

We live in a generation of sports center highlights and sound bites, as you have pointed out. People would rather have their team in the spotlight and lose, than be boring and win. it seems.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Right on, Oviedo. I live in San Antonio, and the local basketball team here (Spurs) are surprisingly very much like the Steelers - hard working, blue collar, no chest thumpers, low tatoo quotient, Superstars who don't show up in your face on TV every 30 seconds, team-first orientation with passing emphasized before shooting (the equivalent, in my mind, of Hines working hard on his downfield blocking), etc.

The Spurs (like the Steelers) get no respect from the talking heads, because there are no headlines. I know some are not huge Cowher fans (and I'm not saying I am either), but he DID set the tone for the Steelers for many years - no showboating, just shut up and play.

It just makes it that much sweeter when we win some playoff games and more and shove it down the media's throat (remember how good the Seahawks were supposed to be going into Superbowl XL).

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 01:05 PM
SASF---I agree. I am really surprised to see how many in the national sportds media are actually rooting against the Spurs. They are a class team and organization.

BTW--San Antonio is a cool city. I've been there twice.

proudpittsburgher
05-21-2008, 02:10 PM
SASF---I agree. I am really surprised to see how many in the national sportds media are actually rooting against the Spurs. They are a class team and organization.

I almost took a job there a few years ago. There is still a part of me that wishes I had, but one thing is for sure, San Antonio is a very inexpensive and beautiful city.

LasVegasGuy
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

I am rooting for anyone to take out the Celtics. I would love nothing more then to see another Boston team with the best season record and have nothing to show for it.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Lakers in 5.

Jigawatts
05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

I am rooting for anyone to take out the Celtics. I would love nothing more then to see another Boston team with the best season record and have nothing to show for it.

I couldn't agree more.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM

I couldn't agree more.

My kid doesn't understand why I'm so down on anything Boston. Besides the Bellichek thing, I'm a Yankees fan, so really the whole concept of Boston makes me sick.

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
My kid doesn't understand why I'm so down on anything Boston. Besides the Bellichek thing, I'm a Yankees fan, so really the whole concept of Boston makes me sick.

...It's a tough one for me... The Celtics have a bit of a "UK" thing going.... But I think the Lakers will take it... That said, I really don't follow pro B-ball.

LasVegasGuy
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM

...It's a tough one for me... The Celtics have a bit of a "UK" thing going.... But I think the Lakers will take it... That said, I really don't follow pro B-ball.

I'm with you NKY. Ever since Jordan, Ewing, Barkley, Miller, Robinson left it's not the same for me either. And what is up with those "shiny satin" uniforms? Is the NBA trying to compete with the WBA?

http://sports.tom.com/uimg/2006/3/16/lanqiu/Carmelo_Anthony_2006031604_242633.jpg

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Didn't you guys know? Every year since the division became the AFC North, the 3rd place team has the best record in the division the next year.

2007 - Bengals 3rd place; 2008?
2006 - Steelers 3rd place; 2007 Division Champs
2005 - Ravens 3rd place; 2006 Division Champs
2004 - Bengals 3rd place; 2005 Tied with steelers for Best Record (11-5)
2003 - Steelers 3rd place; 2004 Division Champs
2002 - Ravens 3rd place; 2003 Division Champs
2001 was the first season

Iron Shiek
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I am a forecaster in profession, and I must say that is one solid trend. However that $$hit is getting broken this year when the Steelers steamroll the division. :twisted:

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Didn't you guys know? Every year since the division became the AFC North, the 3rd place team has the best record in the division the next year.

How do you politely say "not a chance in hell"?..... (at least I hope).....

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2113/cjtvjn6.jpg

...Seriously, I also see this trend breaking this season. The Bengals have issues beyond just Chad.... Thier D-line is still weak, Willie Anderson is a question after surgery, and the passing attack in general is not what it used to be.... Yes, Henry was a punk, but a solid receiver when not in jail.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2008, 07:49 PM

How do you politely say "not a chance in hell"?..... (at least I hope).....

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2113/cjtvjn6.jpg

...Seriously, I also see this trend breaking this season. The Bengals have issues beyond just Chad.... Thier D-line is still weak, Willie Anderson is a question after surgery, and the passing attack in general is not what it used to be.... Yes, Henry was a punk, but a solid receiver when not in jail.
Every year, they start off by saying somebody has no chance and by year's end, they're saying, "how'd they do that?" (as with Cleveland this past season - started with serious QB issues... )

The year before, the Bears went from "they need a QB" to Super Bowl opponents to the Colts.

Not that I want it to happen... but, it does happen.

AngryAsian
05-23-2008, 03:45 AM

SoD.... that dog will not hunt this year. The Bengals are a sham of a team, and if Lewis has a horrid year like 4-12... he'll be out of a job. Period.

Oviedo
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Steelers win the AFC North with a 10-6 record. Everyone else in the AFC North play the same tough NFC East and AFC South opponents that we do and they are far less prepared to do so. The Stains and Bungals lack of defense and the Ratbirds lack of offense and aging defense is going to expose all three of them against those opponents.

I think 9-7 is going to be good enough to win the AFC North and we will better that by one.