PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Music

calmkiller
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I am a Metal head but was raised in WV so grew up on country. As such I have a wide range of music that I like. I would have to say that Metallica is my all time favorite group though. What is everyone else's thoughts/likes?

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Led Zeppelin is my favorite all time, but I'm all over the place.

Rap, Metal, Rock, some Country not a whole lot though, Classical, Jazz, Motown, Straight up oldies, etc...

I spent a long time as a die hard U2 fan... Bono got to "causey" for me though so it was time to move on.

I lost a ton of respect for Metallica with the whole napster thing... but the black album and master of puppets freaking rule.

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Def Leppard
Van Halen w/ David Lee Roth
Phil Collins
Run DMC
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Pink Floyd

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm all about Punjabi music from India, I love classic rock grew up listening to it from my Uncles. I don't mind Rap, I find the lyrics funny at times...not a fan of country.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I really like it all but grew up on rap. I have seen snoop, dre, onyx, boss, and run dmc in concert. I don't know... the whole rap culture really intrigued me growing up. As I have gotten older...I still enjoy rap but I have gotten into country recently.

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

eniparadoxgma
05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
All kinds'o'stuff.

However, the only country I can stand is Johnny Cash.

-Pink Floyd
-Coroner
-(hed) p.e.
-Napalm Death
-Cypress Hill
-The Psycho Realm
-Tech N9ne
-Mississippi John Hurt
-Robert Johnson
-Roger Waters
-Tool
-Twiztid
-La Coka Nostra
-Slayer
-Jimi Hendrix
-The Beatles
-all kinds of Baroque (Vivaldi, Albinoni, Bach, Handel, etc)
-other classical (Beethoven, Mozart, Johann Strauss, Richard Strauss, Brahms, etc)
-Beastie Boys
-Boondox
-Wu Tang Clan
-Jack Johnson
-Keane
-Muddy Waters
-Kreator
-Death
-M.O.D.
-S.O.D.
-MC Chris
-DJ Muggs
-Gnarlz Barkley
-Son House
-SRV

I'm sure there's more but I'll let it be for now. :)

Jigawatts
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Def Leppard
Phil Collins
Run DMC
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Pink Floyd

Les, with the exception of Van Halen I swear we're twins. :shock:

I like all music, but Bon Jovi, Journey, 2 Pac rank up there.
Love just about any goofy synthesized 80's song.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Def Leppard
Phil Collins
Run DMC
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Pink Floyd

Les, with the exception of Van Halen I swear we're twins. :shock:

I like all music, but Bon Jovi, Journey, 2 Pac rank up there.
Love just about any goofy synthesized 80's song.

And except for the fact that I have bigger junk!!! :lol: :lol:

Dude,the original VH was one of the best bands.....EVER!!!!

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 12:37 AM
No Jimmy Buffett fans?! ....WTF!...... :lol:

Les 74
05-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Is that a joke??? :lol:

Shawn
05-22-2008, 09:58 AM

:lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I really like it all but grew up on rap. I have seen snoop, dre, onyx, boss, and run dmc in concert. I don't know... the whole rap culture really intrigued me growing up. As I have gotten older...I still enjoy rap but I have gotten into country recently.

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie
interesting list... how does Lionel Richie get on it? Everybody 90's or later.

Shawn
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

In 1981, when I was 8 y/o I discovered music. Shortly after I bought 3 tapes, Steve Miller Band (abracadabra), Survivor (eye of the tiger), and Lionel Ritchie (Hello, Penny Lover). Of those 3, I continued to appreciate Lionel well into my adult years. His greatest hits CD is awesome. The rest of the 80's was horrid...well except for 1985 when I discovered rap. I bought a rap mix tape looking for the Super Bowl shuffle. I found it but it also had 2 songs on it by Slick Rick. I was like :shock: It was on from there...public enemy, run dmc, beastie boys and then the group that changed the way I thought about rap...NWA.

Jigawatts
05-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I bought a rap mix tape looking for the Super Bowl shuffle.

This has nothing to do with anything. But I remember the exact moment they played that song on the radio for the last time. My mom was backing out of my grandmas driveway and the DJ came on telling everyone to get out the tape recorders because it was the last time they were going to play it.

I threw a fit because my mom wouldn't stop the car and let me go back inside to record it. :x

20 some years later and it's on my computer... so take that mom.

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

What's wrong with Jimmy Buffett?!..... Yea, I'm a Parrothead.... I already have my tickets again for the show in July.... :wink:

Les 74
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM

What's wrong with Jimmy Buffett?!..... Yea, I'm a Parrothead.... I already have my tickets again for the show in July.... :wink:

Ahhh,so thats you're problem.You're too busy wasting away in Margaritaville. :lol: :lol:

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Ahhh,so thats you're problem.You're too busy wasting away in Margaritaville. :lol: :lol:

...It's just one of many problems, brother.......... :lol:

Les 74
05-22-2008, 04:02 PM

...It's just one of many problems, brother.......... :lol:

I was trying not to out you,bro. :lol: :lol:

Shawn
05-22-2008, 04:10 PM

This has nothing to do with anything. But I remember the exact moment they played that song on the radio for the last time. My mom was backing out of my grandmas driveway and the DJ came on telling everyone to get out the tape recorders because it was the last time they were going to play it.

I threw a fit because my mom wouldn't stop the car and let me go back inside to record it. :x

That's the kind of ish people have to talk about in therapy. :D

Jigawatts
05-22-2008, 04:33 PM

This is my therapy.

BTW, listening to Run DMC - Rock Box right now and jamming. 8)

Les 74
05-22-2008, 04:40 PM

This is my therapy.

BTW, listening to Run DMC - Rock Box right now and jamming. 8)

King of Rock is their best rap.Bar none!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
05-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

In 1981, when I was 8 y/o I discovered music. Shortly after I bought 3 tapes, Steve Miller Band (abracadabra), Survivor (eye of the tiger), and Lionel Ritchie (Hello, Penny Lover). Of those 3, I continued to appreciate Lionel well into my adult years. His greatest hits CD is awesome. The rest of the 80's was horrid...well except for 1985 when I discovered rap. I bought a rap mix tape looking for the Super Bowl shuffle. I found it but it also had 2 songs on it by Slick Rick. I was like :shock: It was on from there...public enemy, run dmc, beastie boys and then the group that changed the way I thought about rap...NWA.
The COOLEST thing about it is that I guessed that from that crew you had to be 3 or 4 years younger than me (37, soon to be 38).

I'm with you, kid... Nice list... as I age, my list gets wider...

ON a side note, I recently proved to my 15-year old daughter that with rap, it actually doesn't matter what you say... that a cool beat could actually make a hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ljwMvR-2M

Major Bludd
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM
I like Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, Shadows Fall, CKY, and any thing that doesn't suck. Which isn't a whole lot. :twisted:

Shawn
05-22-2008, 10:47 PM

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

The COOLEST thing about it is that I guessed that from that crew you had to be 3 or 4 years younger than me (37, soon to be 38).

ON a side note, I recently proved to my 15-year old daughter that with rap, it actually doesn't matter what you say... that a cool beat could actually make a hit.

Yep I'm 34. I totally agree about the beat being the foundation. Wu Tang made terrific music and I rarely had any idea what they were talking about. But, I do like lyrics alot. My favorite pure writer would be Nas. But his best stuff you can't find on you tube but these are nice. The first link...unreal lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSlxwd5ZD4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sly1zhsfUe8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4m2HDuoReM&feature=related

NKySteeler
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
No one likes David Cook, the new American Idol winner?!.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les 74
05-23-2008, 07:40 AM
No one likes David Cook, the new American Idol winner?!.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a rumor going around that all of the votes that Cook received to push him over the top came from a single home in Florence,Kentucky. :lol: :lol: :lol:

papillon
05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
In no particular order...

Eric Clapton (all bands, Derek & the dominoes, Blind Faith, Cream and solo - The Yardbords were okay)
Traffic
Bobby McFerrin
Green Day
Crash Test Dummies
Jimmy Buffet
Pink Floyd
Nickelback
Led Zeppelin
Grateful Dead
Johnny Cash
David Gilmour (solo)
Red Hot chili Peppers
Finger Eleven
3 Doors down
Yngwie Malmsteen
Chicago
The Beach Boys
Prince and the Revolution
Guns 'N Roses
CSNY
The Allman Brothers
Warren Zevon

These are the ones that come to mind right away...I'm sure there are others

Pappy

mshifko
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
top 10 in no particular order:
1. kanye west
2. jay-z
3. r.kelly
4. 2 pac/biggie (package deal they're both tight)
5. boyz II men
6. chamillionaire
7. talib kweli
8. musiq soulchild
9. t-pain
10. 80's r&b (jermaine stewart, the whispers, etc)

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
The Rolling Stones

Come on, you gotta give some props to a band that has been able to transcend five decades...the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s and now the 2000s. The most amazing thing probably of all is that Keith Richards is still alive. :lol:

NKySteeler
05-23-2008, 04:51 PM
The Rolling Stones

Come on, you gotta give some props to a band that has been able to transcend five decades...the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s and now the 2000s. The most amazing thing probably of all is that Keith Richards is still alive. :lol:

...That's because someone substituted formaldehyde for his heroin.... :lol:

Les 74
05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
The Rolling Stones

Is he???He looks like he died 30 years ago,but is kept alive by injecting embalming fluid. :lol:

takagi
05-24-2008, 01:22 PM
All kind of rock'n'roll but especially progressive and psychedelic rock!

Porcupine Tree
Blackfield
MetallicA
R.E.M.
Nickleback
Dream Theater
Katatonia
Damone
Pink Floyd
Riverside
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Nightwatchman
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Beach Boys

Les 74
05-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh,I completely forgot.Add the Gorillaz to my list.They are one ofthe best unheard of bands to come out in the past 10 years.Great stuff!!!

Shawn
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh,I completely forgot.Add the Gorillaz to my list.They are one ofthe best unheard of bands to come out in the past 10 years.Great stuff!!!

I love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgiNxWpH9s&feature=related

Shawn
05-24-2008, 06:30 PM
This one by Gorillaz is pretty nice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8S7VQEwU4&feature=related

Les 74
05-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Those are good,Shawn,but check this one out.Itsprobably my favorite song by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCy928QJCDE&feature=related

Great song!!Check out Feel Good,Inc. too.

Les 74
05-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I like Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, Shadows Fall, CKY, and any thing that doesn't suck. Which isn't a whole lot. :twisted:

Yet you somehow like the Bungles!!!
:lol: :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I dig,
hip hop
R & B
rock
oldies (70's)
techno
pop
but I can listen to almost anything outside of country.

birtikidis
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
cut my teeth on PanterA
they're #1 on my list
2. bullet for my valentine
3. machine head
4. slayer
5. white zombie

also i've been pimping my buddies band for a while. they're a christian hardcore band. i went to highschool with three of them. they get played on ESPN a little bit.
check out their myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/dropofred

MeetJoeGreene
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I like:

Southern Rock - Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Little Feat

Classic Rock - Tull, Rush, Kiss, Clapton, Led Zepplin

Hard Stuff - Black Sabbath, Metallica, GNR

Newer Stuff - Nickleback, Staind, Nirvana, Collective Soul

Christian - Casting Crowns, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot

Pittsburgh - Donnie Iris, Corbin/Hanner

Jam Band - Phish, Moe.

Country - Alabama, Hank Jr, Willie,

Other: James Taylor, Buffet

Rap: Zip, Nada, Nilch

Snatch98
05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Led Zep and Pink Floyd are tops and then there are plenty of others I love/like...

Clutch (I'm on a huge Clutch kick right now.)
Peter Gabrial
Genesis
Phil Collins
Dream Theater
Queensryche
Killswitch Engage
ZZ top
Van Halen
GnR
Sound Garden
Alice in Chains
Clapton
Cream
Ottis Redding
BB King
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Prince
Black Mountain
Modest Mouse
James Brown
Del the Funky Homo Sapien
Biggie
TuPac
Three Six Mafia
Early Snoop Dog
RICK ROSS!!!!!!!!! (Everyday I'm HUSTLIN!)
Young Jeezy (I could listen to him and 3 Six Mafia all the time)

My gf is also a big Floyd fan but she has me in to Country now as well....

I know I'm leaving out a bunch of different bands but I'm drawing blanks like I was with my movie list.

Snatch98
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

VIDA!!!! (DROOL)

AngryAsian
06-01-2008, 04:33 AM
I've been real hesitant to write about this subject, because when I was younger, I would often talk to these middle-aged people, only to hear about their yesteryear rants about how their music growing up "was the only music for them." I thought I would never limit myself when it came to music. I still haven't but I do find myself listening my genre of music of "yesteryear" more often than any other music form. I really love rock.... I enjoy the older bands of Zep, vintage Aerosmith, Bad Company, old VanHalen (pre DiverDown) and Rush (instrumentally speaking, the most talented 3 man band in rock history).

I was a child of the 80s and I loved 80s alternative-post punk era music. I'm not talking about cheesy new wave artists that tried to have you "Wang Chung tonight" or "Dance if you want, or leave your friends behind".... (though some bands of that New Wave genre did merit my devotion Modern English, The Fixx, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode just to name a few).

I listened to Industrial Hardcore and Gothic Rock. Just to name a few bands:

Ministry
Skinny Puppy
The Revolting Cocks
Laibach
The Sisters of Mercy
The Mission UK
The Cure
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Cyberaktif
Love and Rockets
Bauhaus
Peter Murphy
Public Image Limited
Big Audio Dynamite
Front 242
Nitzer Ebb
Die Warzau
The Consolidated
Meat Beat Manifesto
Fields of the Nephilum
1,000 Homo DJs
Sonic Youth
7 Seconds
The Exploited
GBH: Great Bodily Harm

.... I could go on and on... this to me not only still gets my adrenaline pumping, but for some reason pulls the most nostalgia out me like no other music form. Since then I've listened to various forms of music ranging from House music (break beat mostly) to grunge (Chris Cornell the greatest crooner to ever come out of this genre) to alternative rock.... but have never and will never get into rap. I stand corrected... The Beasty Boys are not only pioneers but are the Aerosmith of the genre, spanning decades of contributions to the music form. I could rant on and on, but I want to make two final notations.

1) In the Alternative rock flavor, IMO, Linkin' Park is truly talented. I think that this band has produced a lot for such a short time in the limelight and I continue to identify with their music message.

2) The Cult.... my all time favorite band.... period. Ian Asterbury is just awesome. I recently seen them at the HardRock in Orlando. Both he and his guitarist of 3 decades, Billy Duffy still write incredible music and perform with the same intensity. Bar none the greatest hard rock band. If you've never heard any of their music.... pick up either Electric, Sonic Temple or Ceremony.... all of these 3 albums will not disappoint.

I'll get off my soapbox now.... but more to come....

AS

Steelworth
06-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Was really into that type of music at one point asiansteel. Loved Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Pigface, KMFDM, Nitzer Ebb, Faith No More etc.

"The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" is my favorite album from Ministry. You have a favorite of theirs? And I noticed you didn't have KMFDM on your list.

Steelworth
06-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Some favorites for me:

Just about all Oldies & Motown

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Alice In Chains
Built To Spill
The Shins
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Doors
CCR
Simon & Garfunkel
Elton John
Billy Joel
Guns N' Roses
Metallica
Nick Drake
The Police
Spoon
Oasis
Tom Petty
Queen
The Verve

Les 74
06-01-2008, 07:39 AM
The Revolting Cocks

Ummmmmmmmmm,WTF??? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Some good choices there,AS.I grew up with all of the rock bands you said and The Fixx and ears for Fears were always faves of mine.I agree about listening to "yesteryear" stuff.Todays music,just doesn't do it for me..........................except for the Gorillaz.Great band!!!

AngryAsian
06-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Was really into that type of music at one point asiansteel. Loved Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Pigface, KMFDM, Nitzer Ebb, Faith No More etc.

"The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" is my favorite album from Ministry. You have a favorite of theirs? And I noticed you didn't have KMFDM on your list.

Brother you are speaking my language. I wasn't as familiar with Pigface, but I loved me some KMFDM.... Virus is probably the song that hooked me. I loved all the pop-art album covers they had, created by an artist known as "Brute" Hughes. I loved the WaxTrax label and all the bands that were housed by that label. This offshoot of Rock/Punk was not very notable to the masses.... that's why when one of Al Jourgensen's proteges from WaxTrax, a guy named Trent Reznor, lead his obscure band (at the time) Nine Inch Nails out into the vanguard of the alternative scene, I thought for sure that all the bands I listened to for years would get some recognition for their contributions to rock. Looking back at it now, I always wondered why "Pretty Hate Machine" did not pull the industrial movement out into the fore front, like "Nevermind" did for the grunge movement. Anyway.....

My favorite Ministry albums... Twitch and Land of the Rape and Honey. Skinny Puppy was awesome! "Smothered Hope" to this day is played on my MP3 when I run on the beach. The Revolting Cocks I saw 3 times.... talk about some great shows. I saw these these bands in Orlando from 87-89 in a club called Visage. That's pre-Lalapalooza when you could see a band in small venues. Other bands during that time period that played at this club that are noteworthy:

Dead Milkmen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jane's Addiction
Nitzer Ebb
Front 242
The Cult

Amazing shows that maybe held 700 people max in this club. At any rate... Glad to have a kindred spirit on the board. :D

NKySteeler
06-01-2008, 07:17 PM
...I love the new sig AS!!!................ :wink:

Jimmy Buffett
The Clarks
Maynard Ferguson
Robin Trower
The Cult
Great White
Queensryche
Tesla
Joe Satriani
Tommy Bolin
U2
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Faster Pussycat
Steve Miller
Widespread Panic
Velvet Revolver

Steelworth
06-02-2008, 02:22 AM

Brother you are speaking my language. I wasn't as familiar with Pigface, but I loved me some KMFDM.... Virus is probably the song that hooked me. I loved all the pop-art album covers they had, created by an artist known as "Brute" Hughes. I loved the WaxTrax label and all the bands that were housed by that label. This offshoot of Rock/Punk was not very notable to the masses.... that's why when one of Al Jourgensen's proteges from WaxTrax, a guy named Trent Reznor, lead his obscure band (at the time) Nine Inch Nails out into the vanguard of the alternative scene, I thought for sure that all the bands I listened to for years would get some recognition for their contributions to rock. Looking back at it now, I always wondered why "Pretty Hate Machine" did not pull the industrial movement out into the fore front, like "Nevermind" did for the grunge movement. Anyway.....

My favorite Ministry albums... Twitch and Land of the Rape and Honey. Skinny Puppy was awesome! "Smothered Hope" to this day is played on my MP3 when I run on the beach. The Revolting Cocks I saw 3 times.... talk about some great shows. I saw these these bands in Orlando from 87-89 in a club called Visage. That's pre-Lalapalooza when you could see a band in small venues. Other bands during that time period that played at this club that are noteworthy:

Dead Milkmen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jane's Addiction
Nitzer Ebb
Front 242
The Cult

Amazing shows that maybe held 700 people max in this club. At any rate... Glad to have a kindred spirit on the board. :D

I had to laugh when you mentioned Virus because when I saw your list, it made we want to throw in some good Industrial I hadn't heard in a long time, and it was Virus that I played first. Naïve especially was an album I really enjoyed as a whole but it was Virus that got me hooked first too.

Good insight about Pretty Hate Machine and the comparison you made to Nevermind and the influence we thought it'd have. The young masses just fell in love with the grungy, plain & self-depracating angst rock of Kurt Cobain and the like because they could easily understand and relate to it I think. That and there were some catchy tunes they cranked out. That's awesome you got to see all those guys at that venue, especially when they were more raw and less known (ie. RHCP, Jane's, Cult).

Good to know I can BS this stuff with someone too. :P

AngryAsian
06-02-2008, 05:47 AM

Dead Milkmen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jane's Addiction
Nitzer Ebb
Front 242
The Cult

I had to laugh when you mentioned Virus because when I saw your list, it made we want to throw in some good Industrial I hadn't heard in a long time, and it was Virus that I played first. Naïve especially was an album I really enjoyed as a whole but it was Virus that got me hooked first too.

Good insight about Pretty Hate Machine and the comparison you made to Nevermind and the influence we thought it'd have. The young masses just fell in love with the grungy, plain & self-depracating angst rock of Kurt Cobain and the like because they could easily understand and relate to it I think. That and there were some catchy tunes they cranked out. That's awesome you got to see all those guys at that venue, especially when they were more raw and less known (ie. RHCP, Jane's, Cult).

Good to know I can BS this stuff with someone too. :P

Looking forward to bantering with you about this subject and the Steelers. I've yet to meet a brother that has had the same two passions. This music genre isn't exactly identifiable. In fact when I talk about it with others, I'm met with this weird look. :P

Ghost
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
A dozen bands I could listen to at any time:

Social Disrtortion
Foo Fighters
Pearl Jam
The Ramones
Nirvana
U2
AC/DC
Tom Petty
The Offspring
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Cowboy Mouth

frankthetank1
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
i have such a wide variety of different genres that i listen too its hard to list just 10 artists but mine is

outkast
mobb deep
2pac
guns n roses
red hot chilli peppers
faith no more
krs one
pink floyd
eazy-e
wu-tang clan

Arnold_Ziffel
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I have such an eclectic taste in music, it's tough to narrow it down.
So here's a partial list of my faves (in no particular order)...

The The
Suzanne Vega
The Shins
Doves
B-52's
Soul Coughing / Mike Doughty
Depeche Mode
The Smiths / Morrissey
The Verve
Gomez
Rush
AC/DC
The Cure
Roy Buchanan
Yes
The Fixx
The Clash

Favorite genre is 80's retro new wave, followed by classic rock.
Can't stand 99% of the horsechit played on commercial radio...thank god for Sirius and MP3 players.

motter1975
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I definitely have a mixed taste in music, but as far as my favorite artists go:

Jimmy Buffett (as I mentioned in another thread, I'm a Parrot Head from the womb)
Billy Joel
Rod Stewart
ELO
Styx
Beatles
Toby Keith
Kenny Chesney
Trace Adkins
Cat Stevens
Three Dog Night
Alabama
Dave Matthews Band
Bare Naked Ladies
Bee Gees
Bob Marley

Those are favorite artists, but I enjoy most classic rock, 80's music (even the bubblegum teeny bopper stuff), disco, oldies, country, and some newer stuff (Dave Matthews, Maroon 5, some Sublime, Everclear, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Bare Naked Ladies, Shaggy, etc.) I can deal with some rap (prefer the older stuff), in fact the only stuff I REALLY can't stand is the new head banging stuff that my fiance's kids listen to. I refer to it as the I want to slit your throat or somebody else's music!

Kipper
06-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Anything 80's (Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Night Ranger, Madonna, The Gap Band, Fine Young Cannibals, The Cure, Mr.Mister, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash, XTC etc... don't matter, not much I don't like the from the 80's or own and pirated)

Almost anything from the 70's. If it's folksy Like Jim Croce, not a fan, if it's too jam band like the obscure Dead stuff not a fan but I span from Led Zeppelin, Yes, Rush, The Clash, Bowie, Chicago, Kiss, Little River Band, Bee Gees, Kc And The Sunshine Band, Issac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield etc...)

90's Alice in chains, Soundgarden, STP, RHCP, Mark Morrison, Envogue, Sunny Day Real Estate to stuff like Natalie Imbruglia, or Moby, Chemical Brothers... Hated Nirvana, hate Radiohead outside of 2 songs. Not a big fan of the singer songwriter types.

2000's. Liked the heavier stuff that popped up in the mainstream at the beginning of the decade but it's been pretty much the same sound since. Hip Hop doesnt do much for me in this day and age, hate Cold Play. I basically spend most of my time these days searching out underground bands and stuff from Europe.

Can also jam out on plenty from the 60's from Booker T and the MG's to some Neil Diamond to Cream and the Yardbirds to Tommy James and the Shondells, The Beatles, Stone and The Who (who kinda one way or the other span 3 decades) etc...

Not to mention my collection of death metal/Thrash cassettes and cd's from the late 80's to early 90's like Morbid Angel, Obituary, Slayer, Deicide etc...

AngryAsian
06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
One music genre I absolutely love is vintage MoTown.
The Temptations and Smokey Robinson were great. Also noteworthy was 70s soul and funk. Barry White and Isaac Hayes.... I owe a couple of great nights with these two cats providing the backdrop in music. :lol:

Les 74
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
The Temptations and Smokey Robinson were great. Also noteworthy was 70s soul and funk. Barry White and Isaac Hayes.... I owe a couple of great nights with these two cats providing the backdrop in music. :lol:

I could never get into the whole "music in the background" atmosphere.I'm usually too busy concentrating on one thing. :lol: :lol:

AngryAsian
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM

I could never get into the whole "music in the background" atmosphere.I'm usually too busy concentrating on one thing. :lol: :lol:

Brother, you just got to let it flow..... plus the music provided me memory... but the music was mostly for the women. Guys don't need to press on the gas, we're already revved. But there surely nothing wrong with pressing the ignition button for your lady.... music, wine, candles, lotion, whatever your girl might be into. Its those little pleasantries that speak to women. With us guys.... all we need is to hear the word "yes." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les 74
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Brother, you just got to let it flow..... plus the music provided me memory... but the music was mostly for the women. Guys don't need to press on the gas, we're already revved. But there surely nothing wrong with pressing the ignition button for your lady.... music, wine, candles, lotion, whatever your girl might be into. Its those little pleasantries that speak to women. With us guys.... all we need is to hear the word "yes." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes I don't even need to hear that. :lol:

AngryAsian
06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
[quote=asiansteel]One music genre I absolutely love is vintage MoTown.

Sometimes I don't even need to hear that. :lol:[/quote:1vsno1gy]

I'm glad we never hung out during our college years.... we'd probably still be playing wingman for each other now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les 74
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
[quote=asiansteel]One music genre I absolutely love is vintage MoTown.

Sometimes I don't even need to hear that. :lol:

I'm glad we never hung out during our college years.... we'd probably still be playing wingman for each other now. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:130kkkk9]

Definitely!!!! :lol:

Kipper
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
The Revolting Cocks

Ummmmmmmmmm,WTF??? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Some good choices there,AS.I grew up with all of the rock bands you said and The Fixx and ears for Fears were always faves of mine.I agree about listening to "yesteryear" stuff.Todays music,just doesn't do it for me..........................except for the Gorillaz.Great band!!!

I met Cy Curnin of The Fixx a couple years when they did a show down at the Hard Rock Cafe. Great guy. Musta bull**** with him for 30 minutes. the Fixx sounded pretty good too.

Kipper
06-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Definitely. The stuff just grooves. All of that stuff is just smooth. If you can't get laid to some Barry white or Isaac Hayes you've done somethign wrong :lol:

Les 74
06-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Definitely. The stuff just grooves. All of that stuff is just smooth. If you can't get laid to some Barry white or Isaac Hayes you've done somethign wrong :lol:

This Isaac Hayes:

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/m/T/Chef_singingincafeteria_400.jpg

frankthetank1
06-04-2008, 08:35 AM

i agree vintage motown is awsome. i especially like marvin gaye and al green

AngryAsian
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

i agree vintage motown is awsome. i especially like marvin gaye and al green

Bingo. Talk about some really smooth sheeeet.
Funk: a song called Dazz by Brick... that's some smoothness. Listen to this and tell me you don't want to shake your rump with your old lady. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.last.fm/music/Brick/_/Dazz

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Sounds I like:

1) Biggie
2) Pac
3) Eminem
4) Metallica
5) Linkin Park
6) Nas
7) Garth Brooks
8] Stained
9) Dave Matthews Band
10) Lionel Ritchie

Well Im a little late to the party here, but thought I'd chime in. SMG, you have my exact taste. I have nothing but rap/hip hop and Dave Matthews in my collection. And yes, lately been hearing more country since I got Sirius Satellite radio, and dig some of it. Nothing beats the Backspin channel on there. Classic rap hits all day...fresh.

But really I love all music pretty much. I dig 80's bands too, rock, you name it. But rap is my first choice.

I can't believe no one mentioned Rusted Root, good Pittsburgh band. They were awesome.

NKySteeler
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Let's not forget The Clarks.... A local Pgh band...

http://www.clarksonline.com/

I have a few of thier CDs, and it's good sheit......... :wink:

Steelworth
06-09-2008, 06:17 AM

Nice! I love some Motown and 70's stuff in general. I have a 7 disc compilation called "Have A Nice Decade" that's just all 70's on it, love it. :D

Smokey's "Tracks Of My Tears" is one of my favorites, but "Cruisin'" seems to be the ladie's choice.

AngryAsian
06-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Nice! I love some Motown and 70's stuff in general. I have a 7 disc compilation called "Have A Nice Decade" that's just all 70's on it, love it. :D

Smokey's "Tracks Of My Tears" is one of my favorites, but "Cruisin'" seems to be the ladie's choice.

Worth, we must have been seperated at birth.... Cruisin' IS the best. I remember having no problem closin' the deal with Smokey playing in the background.... but I have to admit my college GF loved to have Black Celebration by Depeche Mode on during The Carnal Nasty..... Flies on the Windscreen, Stripped and Question of Lust.... ya, talk about mood enhancement. :twisted:

ColumbusSteelerFan
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM

True dat. They'll always remind me of my "party days" while living in the 'Burgh circa 1995-1999. I keep meaning to see them whenever they come around here, but haven't.

Other favorites, in no particular order:

Black Sabbath (Dio and Gillan years preferred)
Coroner (thus the avatar - go to http://www.designvortex.com/coroner for more info, best technical thrash band ever)
Frank Zappa
King Crimson
Blue Murder
Slayer
Megadeth
Steely Dan
Pantera
Blue Oyster Cult
Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore
Annihilator
David Bowie
Dream Theater
Basically any old 80s/90s metal and any good prog. Some country is good (wife's favorite is Martina McBride), jazz/fusion, classical.

Yeah, it's an interesting mix, but I'm a musician, so there will always be a bunch of stuff in there I suppose.

Steelworth
06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Worth, we must have been seperated at birth

I don't think I look very Filipino, but you never know man. :lol:

Didn't you say you were part Italian (or maybe it was something else) anyways?

Smokey, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Isaac Hayes, Barry White - those guys helped me out many a night.

BIG FAN
06-10-2008, 06:20 AM

True dat. They'll always remind me of my "party days" while living in the 'Burgh circa 1995-1999. I keep meaning to see them whenever they come around here, but haven't.

Other favorites, in no particular order:

Black Sabbath (Dio and Gillan years preferred)
Coroner (thus the avatar - go to http://www.designvortex.com/coroner for more info, best technical thrash band ever)
Frank Zappa
King Crimson
Blue Murder
Slayer
Megadeth
Steely Dan
Pantera
Blue Oyster Cult
Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore
Annihilator
David Bowie
Dream Theater
Basically any old 80s/90s metal and any good prog. Some country is good (wife's favorite is Martina McBride), jazz/fusion, classical.

Yeah, it's an interesting mix, but I'm a musician, so there will always be a bunch of stuff in there I suppose.

Thin Lizzy, the late great Phil Lynott on base.
Played that base like a lead.

Chadman
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Hmm..time for Chadman to chime in...for some Aussie flavour...

Cold Chisel
Lenny Kravitz (Are you gonna go my way- full belt on the radio in the ute...nothing better)
The Angels
U2
AC/DC
Harry Connick Jnr
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Sting
Big Audio Dynamite (Props to Asian for bringing them up earlier)
Steve Earle
CCR
Stereophonics

buckeyehoppy
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow!!!

Where do I begin with this one? My musical tastes are all over the place. But at the end of the day, I am a confirmed jazz and blues head.

I've seen several of the great players in both categories. Many have now passed, but the music lives on and the jazz and blues are genres are always evolving and there are some great players that are carrying the torch for both musical forms.

In jazz, I have grown to enjoy a lot of post-bop, experimental, fusion and acid jazz. Lots of guitars, of course. But also a lot of pianos, synthesizers, drums, electric and acoustic bass. Jazz is great because for everything I've heard, I'm only scratching the surface of what I could hear.

Some of my favorite players read like a list of who's who from yesterday and today in jazz. Big fan of Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Chick Corea, Bill Evans among others who have set the pace or, as is the case with Herbie and Chick, are still setting the pace. Also enamored of Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, Scott Henderson, Joe Lovano, Keith Jarrett, Charles Earland, among others. I could write forever. Jazz is more than music, it's a lifestyle.

As is blues. Of the many varieties of blues, I prefer West Coast and Piedmont blues, followed closely by Delta and Chicago blues. Love the Blues Harp. Little Walter is, was and will always be the greatest man to ever blow the blues harp. Sonny Boy Williamson, Junior Wells, George "Harmonica" Smith, Charlie Musselwhite, James Cotton and Billy Branch are among the greats in the annals of blues harp. There are many out there now that are setting a new standard like Rod Piazza, James Harman and Rick Estrin are all slugging it out on the circuit and have been for years.

Among the great blues composers you have to have Willie Dixon, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Little Walter and Sonny Boy on the list. So many greats, so little time.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I like a lot of what you guys have made mention of here. I used to be much more snobbish about jazz and blues. But the world of music is huge and there is much to like.

mshifko
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
where's my fellow rap/hip hop fans at?

AngryAsian
06-11-2008, 12:12 AM

You'll have to wait for GhettoScott to log on.... he's this board's RAP aficionado. :D

fordfixer
06-11-2008, 01:32 AM
38 special
The Doobie Brothers
B.T.O. (Bachman Turner Overdrive)
The Eagles Boston
ZZ Tops

Just to list a few

AngryAsian
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
38 special
The Doobie Brothers
The Eagles Boston
ZZ Tops

Just to list a few

ZZ Top.... awesome group. Billy Gibbons is a guitarist that should of gotten more props than he did. The thing that trips me out the most about this trio is that the guy with the least amount of facial hair (save the mustache of course) has the sir name of "Beard." :D

Les 74
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM

SMG????He does lead the "thug life." :lol:

fordfixer
06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
38 special
The Doobie Brothers
The Eagles Boston
ZZ Tops

Just to list a few

ZZ Top.... awesome group. Billy Gibbons is a guitarist that should of gotten more props than he did. The thing that trips me out the most about this trio is that the guy with the least amount of facial hair (save the mustache of course) has the sir name of "Beard." :D
I always found that strange also.
I"m adding Fleetwood Mac to my list

AngryAsian
06-12-2008, 01:55 AM

SMG????He does lead the "thug life." :lol:

Yeah, SMG is so thug that he busts caps so that he can treat the bullet wounds. :lol:
BTW, speaking of gangster.... a great movie, comedy in excess:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/153/857571~The-Big-Hit-Posters.jpg