PDA

View Full Version : Contest Ideas for upcoming season.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I was wanting to get some ideas on future contest for the season. I know
some people want FF...which I believe we will do. But, I was thinking we could
have football betting thread (all play money of course). List the over/under
each week. And let people place "bets" (starting money $1000) and see by the
season who has the most. Who is the gambling guru? The award could be a
PLAYAs award specific for the contest.

Who would be interested in something like that?

Any other ideas for contests?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM

MSM?

What would be cool... include the over/unders as well as games against the spread... Each week, you pick any 6 (your personal LOCKS)... or whatever number sounds reasonable.

Another thing I've liked in the past (done in my office)... the "suicide/survivor" pools. To quote a web site (loosely).

There are only 2 rules in an NFL (National Football League) Survivor Pool: You have to pick an NFL team to win (straight-up only, no point-spread) and you can’t pick the same team twice. The pool begins in Week 1 and ends when there’s only 1 participant (survivor) left. You win and you move on to next week, you lose and there’s always next year! That's it.

Iron Shiek
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Absolutely spot on SOD. The suicide pools are excruciatingly fun. Escpecially when you get later on and are forced to decide which team is more likely to win among Detroit, Miami, Bungles, or Raiders. Lots of "strategery" involved in that kind of contest.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2008, 12:03 PM

MSM?

What would be cool... include the over/unders as well as games against the spread... Each week, you pick any 6 (your personal LOCKS)... or whatever number sounds reasonable.

Another thing I've liked in the past (done in my office)... the "suicide/survivor" pools. To quote a web site (loosely).

There are only 2 rules in an NFL (National Football League) Survivor Pool: You have to pick an NFL team to win (straight-up only, no point-spread) and you can’t pick the same team twice. The pool begins in Week 1 and ends when there’s only 1 participant (survivor) left. You win and you move on to next week, you lose and there’s always next year! That's it.

I think LVG mentioned a survivor pool that was point-spread-based (which I don't like) in another thread. I've done the non-point-spread-based survivor pools before at work, and it seems to work well. I'd be all for that for sure. Everyone can be involved too, since it doesn't take up a whole lot of time per week since all you have to do it pick one game.

MeetJoeGreene
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I like the survivor idea as well.

I have also been kicking the following around... let me know what you guys think:

It would be great to have a contest where we try to pick the most exciting game of the week at the beginning of each season. Kind of what Monday Night Football has to do. We could score the contest based on the closeness of the score, or whether a player had 3 or more touchdowns, etc. Criteria that make the game exciting. I was thinking of a working title: Monday Night Football Director.

What do you guys think?

Les 74
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I would definitely like to have a pick-em's contest during the season.Also,will we be doing an awards presentation such as the PLAYAS??

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Simple contest:

We have members just select all the winning teams for each week

Also delineate a total score for Monday Night (this settles a tie breaker)

Winner is determined by the most collective wins.

Feedback?

Les 74
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Simple contest:

Feedback?

I like the sound of that.Not too hard for newbs to understand.Sign me up.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
SoD, I really like that survivor contest. That's super easy to put together also.

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Simple contest:

Feedback?

It would be easy to tabulate and score. We used to do this same pool format at work (on the low-low of course, because gambling at work was not tolerated.... this is where I got my AngryAsian moniker.... my football pool name.... real wise, incognito name, because if the management found out about it, they could never find a Steeler fan that was asian :lol: )

by Monday night there could be 2-5 people in the hunt for the win and watching MNF and keeping an eye on the score..... as well as who will win, kept things interesting.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
SoD, I really like that survivor contest. That's super easy to put together also.

SMG I've been in these before... they are a LOT of fun. Pretty brutal for the first few weeks though as you don't really know anything about any of the teams....

And you always wind up saving a team to bail you out... but that's dangerous because you can wind up getting punted because you took a risk...

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Simple contest:

Feedback?

I second that...sounds good.

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
How about this? “You have a mat, and it’s got some conclusions written on it, and you back up next to the mat, and think about a question, and then you jump to a conclusion. Right there on the mat, you jump to a conclusion…”

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

Les 74
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
How about this? “You have a mat, and it’s got some conclusions written on it, and you back up next to the mat, and think about a question, and then you jump to a conclusion. Right there on the mat, you jump to a conclusion…”

Great movie!!! :lol: :lol:

Michael Bolton is a no talent asz clown!!! :lol:

SteelerNation1
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM

I hope I don't "loose a turn." That could be panefull! :D

SteelerNation1
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I like the survivor idea, but that technically end in two or three weeks. I think we should do a season long pick'em...with or without point spreads.

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
no doubt I knew you would get it.
"I told those fudge packers that I liked Michael Bolton's music."

papillon
05-20-2008, 04:20 PM

I have also been kicking the following around... let me know what you guys think:

It would be great to have a contest where we try to pick the most exciting game of the week at the beginning of each season. Kind of what Monday Night Football has to do. We could score the contest based on the closeness of the score, or whether a player had 3 or more touchdowns, etc. Criteria that make the game exciting. I was thinking of a working title: Monday Night Football Director.

What do you guys think?

This is Lonbull's "Monday Night Executive Contest" as far as I can tell. We need to recruit Lonbull over to PlanetSteeler.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
05-20-2008, 04:25 PM

What do you guys think?

This is Lonbull's "Monday Night Executive Contest" as far as I can tell. We need to recruit Lonbull over to PlanetSteeler.

Pappy

I was hoping SOMEONE would get my joke. You caught the reference but I don't think you thought I was being tongue in cheek

Les 74
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM

What do you guys think?

Pappy

I was hoping SOMEONE would get my joke. You caught the reference but I don't think you thought I was being tongue in cheek

I think you must have been too subtle,MJG!! :lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM

What do you guys think?

Pappy

I got you, but, I came back to the thread too late... I'm going, "that's LB's contest... is he not coming over or something... surely MJG knows that... oh, he's being a smartass."

Flasteel
05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I like the survivor idea, but that technically end in two or three weeks. I think we should do a season long pick'em...with or without point spreads.

Let's do both.

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 09:59 PM
If people are interested, I'll take on the responsibility of doing the year long picking contest that I highlighted earlier..... and since Les was in favor of it also, I nominate him to be my wingman for this one. To review the rules:

Every week, I'll post that week's schedule (16 contests per, except when byes start).

Participants will post their picks for the week no later than say Saturday noon, so Les and I have time to tabulate picks. (no later than Wed. when Thurs. games are in play)

Participants will also submit a cumulative from both teams in the event of a tie. Closest to the score wins bragging rights for the week.

Every week I'll post the results of that week and a cumulative tally of the season's up to date results.

At the end of the season, we total things up and announce a winner.... probable PLAYA award yielded.

This contest is very basic... no over/unders, no point spread, no point system.... wins are tabulated and that's it. I think that this one, everybody can play. The only thing is I have to come up with a name.

MeetJoeGreene
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM

What do you guys think?

Pappy

I got you, but, I came back to the thread too late... I'm going, "that's LB's contest... is he not coming over or something... surely MJG knows that... oh, he's being a smartass."

Darn. I blew it again. I was going to join this board and make a fresh start. As a serious actor. But I slipped into my jester ways again. Now I am branded.

papillon
05-20-2008, 10:41 PM
If people are interested, I'll take on the responsibility of doing the year long picking contest that I highlighted earlier..... and since Les was in favor of it also, I nominate him to be my wingman for this one. To review the rules:

Every week, I'll post that week's schedule (16 contests per, except when byes start).

Participants will post their picks for the week no later than say Saturday noon, so Les and I have time to tabulate picks. (no later than Wed. when Thurs. games are in play)

Participants will also submit a cumulative from both teams in the event of a tie. Closest to the score wins bragging rights for the week.

Every week I'll post the results of that week and a cumulative tally of the season's up to date results.

At the end of the season, we total things up and announce a winner.... probable PLAYA award yielded.

This contest is very basic... no over/unders, no point spread, no point system.... wins are tabulated and that's it. I think that this one, everybody can play. The only thing is I have to come up with a name.

I'm in on this one for sure and MJG's http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smiles/moon.gif brand new game that's never been done before (not even at the Trib :P ) where we try to pick the best games of the week for excitement purposes to match wits with the witless wonders at Monday Night Football.

Pappy

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Participants will also submit a cumulative Monday Night Football score (from both teams) in the event of a tie. Closest to the score wins bragging rights for the week.

Edited... now it makes sense.

stlrz d
05-20-2008, 10:54 PM

Participants will also submit a cumulative Monday Night Football score (from both teams) in the event of a tie. Closest to the score wins bragging rights for the week.

Dude, why not make it easy on yourself? Set up a private league in Yahoo then post the name and password here so everyone interested can register? I've been in one run by a friend of mine for years now and it's simple.

Another cool feature for those already in one...with the click of a mouse picks can be transferred from one group to the next. Meaning I can make my picks in my buddy's league and with one click send them into AS' league as well.

Do it!!!

stlrz d
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

Usually survivor pools just start over again if they end before the middle of the season.

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Dude, why not make it easy on yourself? Set up a private league in Yahoo then post the name and password here so everyone interested can register? I've been in one run by a friend of mine for years now and it's simple.

Another cool feature for those already in one...with the click of a mouse picks can be transferred from one group to the next. Meaning I can make my picks in my buddy's league and with one click send them into AS' league as well.

Do it!!!

That's a great idea, we can just post results here in a topic to talk trash. It will save you a lot of time AS.

stlrz d
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM

Do it!!!

That's a great idea, we can just post results here in a topic to talk trash. It will save you a lot of time AS.

It's also quicker for making picks. No typing picks or editing a cut and paste of the schedule. Click next to your picks, type in your MNF score click submit and be done with it. Yahoo will even send you a reminder email to make your picks every week.

AngryAsian
05-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Stlrz D,

Will you be kind enough to help a brother out in formatting this with me? I'm not Yahoo savvy. Come camp, we'll put our heads together. I'll PM you when the time comes and just point me to the right direction.

Thanks

costanza2k1
05-21-2008, 12:06 AM
How about a Madden 09 360 online tournament? We can track wins losses on the site and play repeatedly through the season. Thoughts?

stlrz d
05-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Stlrz D,

Will you be kind enough to help a brother out in formatting this with me? I'm not Yahoo savvy. Come camp, we'll put our heads together. I'll PM you when the time comes and just point me to the right direction.

Thanks

Absolutely! :)

Les 74
05-21-2008, 08:00 AM
How about a Madden 09 360 online tournament? We can track wins losses on the site and play repeatedly through the season. Thoughts?

Sorry,bro,but I'm still stuck in the PS2 Age. :lol:

costanza2k1
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Sweet looks like I won my first match based on a no show! :lol: You should check out a 360 they're pretty sweet. I know the Gamestops now carry refurbished ones...with 1 year gaurantees. I just got one in the kid's playroom.

Shawn
05-21-2008, 11:30 AM

I 100% agree...and I'm totally down for this. As the release date closes in...we will organize this one for sure. Especially if we can get at least 5-6 players.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Sweet looks like I won my first match based on a no show! :lol: You should check out a 360 they're pretty sweet. I know the Gamestops now carry refurbished ones...with 1 year gaurantees. I just got one in the kid's playroom.

A couple of months ago,I had the choice of getting a big screen TV or a PS3.Guess which one I went with. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2008, 01:02 PM

I have a PS3 now (my kids love playing Rock Band, and it hysterical to hear my 3 year old daughter singing songs by Nirvana, Weezer, and the Ramones along with her standard Wiggles, Backyardigans, and Laurie Berkner tunes now). However, the last version of Madden I have is the PS2 version that came out the off-season after we won the Super Bowl. I should probably invest in the new PS3 version this year...if I ever get time to play it, that is. I do play the latest PS3 version of the EA NHL hockey game with my 6 year old son (he loves playing as our local W-B/S Penguins, since the AHL teams are also included), but he is not quite ready for Madden just yet.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Im just cheap... I'll be looking PS3 as a x-mas present for myself this year.

Shawn
05-21-2008, 01:05 PM

I have a PS3 now (my kids love playing Rock Band, and it hysterical to hear my 3 year old daughter singing songs by Nirvana, Weezer, and the Ramones along with her standard Wiggles, Backyardigans, and Laurie Berkner tunes now). However, the last version of Madden I have is the PS2 version that came out the off-season after we won the Super Bowl. I should probably invest in the new PS3 version this year...if I ever get time to play it, that is. I do play the latest PS3 version of the EA NHL hockey game with my 6 year old son (he loves playing as our local W-B/S Penguins, since the AHL teams are also included), but he is not quite ready for Madden just yet.

I hope you grab a 360...we would love to have ya.

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
[quote=costanza2k1]How about a Madden 09 360 online tournament? We can track wins losses on the site and play repeatedly through the season. Thoughts?

A couple of months ago,I had the choice of getting a big screen TV or a PS3.Guess which one I went with. :lol:[/quote:gkbgpc3v]

I got my PS3 when Sony was offering a deal at Best Buy a while back that if you bought a certain Sony Bravia big screen TV, you could get the 80 gig PS3 (which was normally something like $600) for $200, plus you got 5 Blu-Ray movies and one racing game for free. My in-laws were in the market for a big screen TV at the time, so she convinced her mother to buy that one, then surprised me and the kids with the discounted PS3. She rules (even if she thinks that Poitier was Jobu...sorry wrong thread. :lol: ).

Les 74
05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
[quote=costanza2k1]How about a Madden 09 360 online tournament? We can track wins losses on the site and play repeatedly through the season. Thoughts?

A couple of months ago,I had the choice of getting a big screen TV or a PS3.Guess which one I went with. :lol:

I got my PS3 when Sony was offering a deal at Best Buy a while back that if you bought a certain Sony Bravia big screen TV, you could get the 80 gig PS3 (which was normally something like $600) for $200, plus you got 5 Blu-Ray movies and one racing game for free. My in-laws were in the market for a big screen TV at the time, so she convinced her mother to buy that one, then surprised me and the kids with the discounted PS3. She rules (even if she thinks that Poitier was Jobu...sorry wrong thread. :lol: ).[/quote:k4rzjva4]

RB,if your wife ever dumps you,would you mind if I had a shot at her??? j/k:wink: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I got my PS3 when Sony was offering a deal at Best Buy a while back that if you bought a certain Sony Bravia big screen TV, you could get the 80 gig PS3 (which was normally something like $600) for $200, plus you got 5 Blu-Ray movies and one racing game for free. My in-laws were in the market for a big screen TV at the time, so she convinced her mother to buy that one, then surprised me and the kids with the discounted PS3. She rules (even if she thinks that Poitier was Jobu...sorry wrong thread. :lol: ).

RB,if your wife ever dumps you,would you mind if I had a shot at her??? j/k:wink: :lol:

She is a fan of the horror movies. Ummm...perhaps I shouldn't have told you that. D'Oh! :lol:

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Just got back in town, and I must say that all the sig pics you guys are sporting look fantastic.... :wink:

LasVegasGuy
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Just got back in town, and I must say that all the sig pics you guys are sporting look fantastic.... :wink:

A.S. has been working his magic. I feel bad for the guy because he may never get a break. He should have titled the thread to the first 50 new members............

Then he has a loop-hole if he needed it.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Usually survivor pools just start over again if they end before the middle of the season.
Yep... any idea if Yahoo manages one of those? :P

If not... I'd be willing to manage it... i think...

stlrz d
05-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Yep... any idea if Yahoo manages one of those? :P

If not... I'd be willing to manage it... i think...

I do believe so, yes. :)

Djfan
05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Please tell me that we are going to still do the look alikes from the opposing teams each week? That one killed me!

AngryAsian
05-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Please tell me that we are going to still do the look alikes from the opposing teams each week? That one killed me!

I think MJG will take care of the Photoshop contests, I (and with the help of stlrz'd) will do the simple pool I highlighted earlier, some have talked about a Madden contest... I think once camp starts I'll start a thread setting in stone which games we will play this upcoming season... name them and have various members throw their hat in the ring, to see which one will spearhead which contest. I think collectively we'll have a ton of variety and a ton of fun this season.