PDA

View Full Version : Best video game of all time???

Les 74
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
What's everyone's choice for best VG of all time??It could be any game for any system.
I'll give my top 3.

1.GTA:Vice City(PS2)
2.Double Dragon(Arcade)
3.Resident Evil 4(PS2)

RussBII
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm wicked hung up on GTA IV right now. It's soooo good. I loved Vice City, but this just owns it.

So here's my list, no real order:

GTA IV (xbox 360)
Quake 1,2,3 (PC)
Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Les 74
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm wicked hung up on GTA IV right now. It's soooo good. I loved Vice City, but this just owns it.

GTA IV (xbox 360)
Quake 1,2,3 (PC)
Team Fortress 2 (PC)

I would be hung up on it............if I had a PS3!!!! :x

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM

GTA IV (xbox 360)
Quake 1,2,3 (PC)
Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Take that mask and machete of yours and go getcherself one. I'd recommend the 360 over the PS3, unless you are into the Final Fantasy games...

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:11 PM

GTA IV (xbox 360)
Quake 1,2,3 (PC)
Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Take that mask and machete of yours and go getcherself one. I'd recommend the 360 over the PS3, unless you are into the Final Fantasy games...

:lol: :lol:

I would,but they wouldn't allow me to play it in jail. :lol:

I'm more of a PS fan.Aside from that,there's the added attraction of the Blu-Ray player.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Heh, i think we can dispense w/ the quoting at this point.

I got a free Blu-Ray with my TV. It's the cheap sony. It's s-l-o-w. But if i had neither a next gen system, nor a blu-ray, i'd go w/ the PS3. It just make sense.

I've heard of some folks having really long update times. Like 2+ hours with the PS3. But then again, i've heard of Xbox 360s just frying themselves...

You need to find someway to play GTAIV if you are a fan of the series. Become friends w/ a neighborhood punk, embezzle so you go to a cushy prison and can play... something man...

It's worth it for the jokes alone.

calmkiller
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Of all time.....damn.....there isn't just one. Okay my list in no particular order.

Super Mario Brothers
Half-life
Half-life 2
Halo
World of Warcraft
The Legends of Zelda

So many to pick from....

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Of all time.....damn.....there isn't just one. Okay my list in no particular order.

Super Mario Brothers
Half-life
Half-life 2
Halo
World of Warcraft
The Legends of Zelda

So many to pick from....

I bought both HL and HL2 but have never played either one of them. I can't get into single player FPS games. I played the snot out of some CS and TF2 though. Maybe I should go back and play those.

calmkiller
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Super Mario Brothers
Half-life
Half-life 2
Halo
World of Warcraft
The Legends of Zelda

So many to pick from....

I bought both HL and HL2 but have never played either one of them. I can't get into single player FPS games. I played the snot out of some CS and TF2 though. Maybe I should go back and play those.

The story line is simply amazing. Leaving you with more questions with ever answer you get. The single reason HL and Halo are 2 of my all time favorite games is the story. Halo has the deepest back story of any game ive ever played. 4 novels worth of back story and "the parts left out" of the game. Its like watching a movie almost. That is why Halo and Half-life are head and shoulder above the rest IMO.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Super Mario Brothers
Half-life
Half-life 2
Halo
World of Warcraft
The Legends of Zelda

So many to pick from....

The story line is simply amazing. Leaving you with more questions with ever answer you get. The single reason HL and Halo are 2 of my all time favorite games is the story. Halo has the deepest back story of any game ive ever played. 4 novels worth of back story and "the parts left out" of the game. Its like watching a movie almost. That is why Halo and Half-life are head and shoulder above the rest IMO.

I have never played Halo, and probably never will... I'm know I'm missing out on it, but I'm a stubborn mouse/keyboard FPS player and I've gotten into too many arguments w/ the Halo-philes. I was tempted to get it for the PC for a while, but console -> PC ports are rarely good.

costanza2k1
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
The ESPN NFL2k series were the best until madden leg humped them and took control of the naming rights (MONOPOLY)

Les 74
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
The ESPN NFL2k series were the best until madden leg humped them and took control of the naming rights (MONOPOLY)

I was actually thinking of just buying NCAA instead of Madden this year............until the Steelers had a really good draft.Now,I'll see if I can get both. 8)

Shawn
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
1) Mike Tyson's Punch Out
2) Super Mario Bros.
3) Castlevania
4) NFL 2K
5) Double Dragon
6) Contra
7) Galaga
8) COD 4
9) Pac Man
10) NBA Jams

eniparadoxgma
05-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Russ, if you play TF:2 on the PC add me to your steam friends so I can plant a fire axe in your noggin. :D My steam ID is eniparadoxgma.

I also play DOD: Source and COD4 online.

My list....for now:

Twisted Metal 2
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Galaga
GTA San Andreas
Painkiller
Half Life 2, episode 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed (so far)
Elevator Action (ruled back in the day)
Xenophobe (ruled back in the day)
Streetfighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2 or 3...?
Marvel vs Capcom
Vampire: Bloodlines
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Team Fortress 2
COD4
Day of Defeat: Source
Prey

As with the other lists, I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

I'm a videogame head from way back.

RussBII
05-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Russ, if you play TF:2 on the PC add me to your steam friends so I can plant a fire axe in your noggin. :D My steam ID is eniparadoxgma.

I also play DOD: Source and COD4 online.

My list....for now:

Twisted Metal 2
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Galaga
GTA San Andreas
Painkiller
Half Life 2, episode 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed (so far)
Elevator Action (ruled back in the day)
Xenophobe (ruled back in the day)
Streetfighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2 or 3...?
Marvel vs Capcom
Vampire: Bloodlines
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Team Fortress 2
COD4
Day of Defeat: Source
Prey

As with the other lists, I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

I'm a videogame head from way back.

I gave up TF2 for GTA IV. My life is such that I can only obsess over one game at a time. It's sad... I know... but what ya gonna do. I'm hoping TF2 stays popular for a while though, it's a really really good game...

I dunno what your fireaxe'll do against me when I'm sniping you from across the map tho...

Pyro is insane amounts of fun, but I find being a really good competent soldier far outweighs all the other classes.

Jigawatts
05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
I'll go with top games by systems that I had.

NES:
1. Super Mario Brothers
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Tysons Punch Out
4. Dodgeball

SNES:
1. Super Mario World
2. Sim City
3. Madden

Turbo Graphix 16:
1. World Class Baseball
2. Bonk

Playstation:
1. Twisted Metal 2
2. Grand Theft Auto (the original that started it all)

Wii
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Overall
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the best game ever.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I'll go with top games by systems that I had.

NES:
1. Super Mario Brothers
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Tysons Punch Out
4. Dodgeball

SNES:
1. Super Mario World
2. Sim City
3. Madden

Turbo Graphix 16:
1. World Class Baseball
2. Bonk

Playstation:
1. Twisted Metal 2
2. Grand Theft Auto (the original that started it all)

Wii
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Overall
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the best game ever.

Jig,were we separated at birth or something.Check out my OP. :shock: :lol:

Major Bludd
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Halo.

eniparadoxgma
05-23-2008, 02:16 AM
[

I gave up TF2 for GTA IV. My life is such that I can only obsess over one game at a time. It's sad... I know... but what ya gonna do. I'm hoping TF2 stays popular for a while though, it's a really really good game...

I dunno what your fireaxe'll do against me when I'm sniping you from across the map tho...

Pyro is insane amounts of fun, but I find being a really good competent soldier far outweighs all the other classes.

I feel ya. I'm a PC gamer though, so I'm waiting for GTA4 for PC.

I've actually been sniping on TF:2 lately. Fun times.

They just added a new map named Goldrush where one team has to push a cart full of explosives from one side of a map to the other while the other team tries to defend. They also just added a bunch of achievements for the medic, and if you get them you get cool things like added bonuses to your needlegun and a different type of uber where whoever you uber gets nonstop criticals while he's ubered.

Looks like they're going to be putting out new achievements for all the classes, and keep adding new content, so TF:2 should stay popular I believe.

RussBII
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
[

I feel ya. I'm a PC gamer though, so I'm waiting for GTA4 for PC.

I've actually been sniping on TF:2 lately. Fun times.

They just added a new map named Goldrush where one team has to push a cart full of explosives from one side of a map to the other while the other team tries to defend. They also just added a bunch of achievements for the medic, and if you get them you get cool things like added bonuses to your needlegun and a different type of uber where whoever you uber gets nonstop criticals while he's ubered.

Looks like they're going to be putting out new achievements for all the classes, and keep adding new content, so TF:2 should stay popular I believe.

<drool> I was hoping valve wouldn't abandon TF:2 and keep pushing out content. That is good news.

The only games I play on the PC are FPS games. Everything else gets played on the console. I got lucky, my sister bought me a 360 for Christmas a few years back. Without that bit of awesomeness, I'd be playing nothing but older PC games...

AngryAsian
05-27-2008, 04:56 PM
GALAGA.... hands down the best ever.

RussBII
05-28-2008, 08:01 AM

I had a cousin that owned an arcade in the Franklin Mall in Washington, PA. I remember being so little he used to have to put me up on a barstool to play Galaga. I was always amazed that everyone else had to put in quarters, but somehow, I didn't.

Mmmmmm adolescent arcade hookup....

wait... that sounds all sortsa wrong

proudpittsburgher
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
two pages and no mention of the techmo Bowl series. Blastphamous, I tell ya.

Les 74
05-28-2008, 08:45 AM

I absolutely HATE Tecmo Bowl with a passion.

proudpittsburgher
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Well, when you compare i tto Madden and all of the football games that followed, well yea, maybe you have a point. But it was leaps and bounds past anything of its day. And it's fun as hell to this day, bringin it old school.

Shawn
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Galaga is indeed the schiznit.

eniparadoxgma
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm also down with the Galaga, yo.

Les 74
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Well, when you compare i tto Madden and all of the football games that followed, well yea, maybe you have a point. But it was leaps and bounds past anything of its day. And it's fun as hell to this day, bringin it old school.

No,I hated it alot more back then.

AngryAsian
05-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Galaga is indeed the schiznit.

I also love Streetfighter and Tekken 3.... that is the extent of my video game playing. I'm a nerd. I haven't owned a home gaming system since the original Nintendo. I'm old school like that.

BIG FAN
05-29-2008, 01:33 AM

I had a cousin that owned an arcade in the Franklin Mall in Washington, PA. I remember being so little he used to have to put me up on a barstool to play Galaga. I was always amazed that everyone else had to put in quarters, but somehow, I didn't.

Mmmmmm adolescent arcade hookup....

wait... that sounds all sortsa wrong

Played in there many times.
Also the one at the Washington Mall.

Snatch98
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
It's kind of hard to label just one game as the "Best game of all time"

on that note here COMES A LIST! lol and in no specific order

1. Super Mario Bros any and all (excluding Mario party and the gimmicky sh.it)
(Mario 64 might have been the most mind blowing video game experience of my life, I remember getting the N64 the X-mas it came out and just being completely blown away by the game. It was the first true 3D open world game and it was just amazing. The year the N64 came out may be my most memorable x-mas.)

2. Ghosts and Goblins
3. Super Ghouls and Ghosts
4. Contra, Super C, Contra III Alien Wars, Contra 4 (Nintendo DS)
5. Gran Turismo
6. Metal Gear Solid (any of them)
7. Rachet and Clank
8. Zelda (Any)
9. Goldeneye
10. Timesplitters
11. Halo 1/2/3
12. Madden (I play this more than any other game period, every year)
13. Hot Shots Golf (Any of them)
14. Stunt Race FX
15. Anything by (Rare) - Donkey Kong Country, Banjo and Kazooie.....etc
16. Punch Out/Super Punch out
17. Stunt Race FX
18. Zombies ate my Neighbors
19. Mega Man
20. Ninja Gaiden
21. Double Dragon
22. Spy Hunter
23. RC Pro/Am
24. Mario Kart
25. Duck Hunt
26 Excite Bike

I could go on and on......

I haven't made the jump to next gen but will be getting a PS3 before August so I have it for the 09 release of Madden and MGS 4.

EDIT: I forgot about Streetfighter

and I too hated Tecmo Bowl.

mshifko
05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
younger days:
mario brothers- nintendo/super nintendo
tecmo football- nintendo/super nintendo
goldeneye- nintendo 64
mario cart- nintendo 64

now:
madden
ncaa football
mlb 2k8
nhl 2k8
any nintendo wii game

Chadman
05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Chadman is a PC man first & foremost, followed by plystation after that.

Best games ever?

Hmm...

1. The whole Baldur's Gate series is up there for sure.
2. Planescape Torment
3. Football Manager 2008 (or any version to be honest)
4. Medieval Total War 2 (again, any version really)
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Madden

Chadman tends to play Madden in coach mode more often these days. Anyone else do this?

Les 74
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Chadman is a PC man first & foremost, followed by plystation after that.

Best games ever?

Hmm...

1. The whole Baldur's Gate series is up there for sure.
2. Planescape Torment
3. Football Manager 2008 (or any version to be honest)
4. Medieval Total War 2 (again, any version really)
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Madden

Chadman tends to play Madden in coach mode more often these days. Anyone else do this?

Chadman,I must ask,is plystation Aussie for Playstation??? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
[quote=proudpittsburgher]two pages and no mention of the techmo Bowl series. Blastphamous, I tell ya.

No,I hated it alot more back then.[/quote:2gpmzpiw]

Tecmo Bowl was the $hit dude cmon. But I did hate it for the simple fact of that dam timing pattern down the middle to Cap Boso. Between that and Walter Payton, the Bears were impossible if used correctly. And then theres this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdZesB_nzE

Ha.

Iron Shiek
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I logged many hours on the Zelda series back in the day.

One underrated game on Playstation that I had was the first Tenchu (ninja game). I absolutely loved that game.

I was huge into sports games though, that was all I bought.

Moved away from console lately, and been playin Call of Duty 4 online on the new laptop. That occupies any gaming time.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
[quote="Les 74":oncbikzh][quote=proudpittsburgher]two pages and no mention of the techmo Bowl series. Blastphamous, I tell ya.

No,I hated it alot more back then.[/quote:oncbikzh]

Tecmo Bowl was the $hit dude cmon. But I did hate it for the simple fact of that dam timing pattern down the middle to Cap Boso. Between that and Walter Payton, the Bears were impossible if used correctly. And then theres this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdZesB_nzE

Ha.[/quote:oncbikzh]

Did you ever play the old arcade version of Tecmo Bowl? Awesome. You broke tackles by moving the joystick back and forth as fast as you can. The arcade must have had to replace joysticks on a weekly basis with the way I used to beat on them (that sounds REALLY bad).

Also, while I'm talking about actual arcade games (as opposed to home systems), I've always really liked the Silent Scope series and the Police Trainers (instead of the millions of zombie monster shooters out there).

Les 74
06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Silent Scope was a great arcade game,RB!!!How about the old Crossbow arcade game??I dumped so many quarters in that thing when I was a kid that I probably could have afforded to buy a small car. :lol:

Ozey74
06-06-2008, 11:15 PM

TECMO Bowl was the $hit. Spent many a drunken evening in a dorm playing this game. Bo Jackson and LT were far and away the creme of the crop. Christian O'koye at full strength had eveyone bouncing off of him like he was a trampoline.....

Good times!! :D

costanza2k1
06-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Almost forgot to add Galaga and Ms PacMan

Iron Shiek
06-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I recently downloaded this game emulator thing (sorry not very technically savvy but i think that what its called). It has several old classics on it. I play Galaga alot on my laptop. Sweet.

Speaking of classics, Atari Donkey Kong freaking rocked. Pitfall was the $hit too. Asteroids. Cmon, this system launched me into my gaming obsession as a youth.

ghettoscott
06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Dragons Lair / Space Ace (Arcade)
These games were amazing to me. I wanted to BE Dirk the Daring as a wee lass. Never beat Space Ace...that still pisses me off.

Donkey Kong (Arcade)
loved all the sounds in this game, from Mario walking to the hammer music.

Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)
got this as a gift, great game play and story line. Had a bad day at work? pop this sucker in for some relief.

Mortal Kombat 2 (PS2)
Shang Tsung baby!

Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360)

Town and Country (NES)

Track and Field (NES)

birtikidis
06-12-2008, 12:22 AM
nothing compares to final fantasy. period.
a distant second was dragon warrior (i think that's what it was called)
loved castelvania
contra
have a PS3 but can't gtet into the new generation of games. i do like oblivion though.

would never get a 360 absollutely hate it. same with GTA. can't stand every one of them. play that game and wonder why kids are f'd up today...

Les 74
06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
loved castelvania
contra
have a PS3 but can't gtet into the new generation of games. i do like oblivion though.

would never get a 360 absollutely hate it. same with GTA. can't stand every one of them. play that game and wonder why kids are f'd up today...

Don't really want to get into a debate over this,but if you want to blame something for kids being f'd up,then blame the parents not the games.

LasVegasGuy
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
younger days:
mario brothers- nintendo/super nintendo
tecmo football- nintendo/super nintendo
goldeneye- nintendo 64
mario cart- nintendo 64

now:
madden
ncaa football
mlb 2k8
nhl 2k8
any nintendo wii game

MS how about a game sometime online with MLB 2k8?

birtikidis
06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
loved castelvania
contra

Don't really want to get into a debate over this,but if you want to blame something for kids being f'd up,then blame the parents not the games.
i blame both. i'm equal opportunity.
reminds me, today this lady emailed me on facebook bitching about her kid. her kid was in my 7th grade history class. she goes on and on about how our teachers are horrible. meanwhile her profile picture on facebook is her in a thong and a see through bra.
damn parents...

LasVegasGuy
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
loved castelvania
contra

reminds me, today this lady emailed me on facebook bitching about her kid. her kid was in my 7th grade history class. she goes on and on about how our teachers are horrible. meanwhile her profile picture on facebook is her in a thong and a see through bra.
damn parents...

Parents suck not the video games. I see so many worthless parents in my life that it makes me sick. Video games are the only things keeping these little animals inside otherwise they would be outside killing the good kids.

birtikidis
06-13-2008, 12:23 AM
i disagree. too often the de-sensitization of a young persons mind leads to inappropriate behavior.
but you're right many many parents suck.

Les 74
06-13-2008, 05:11 PM
loved castelvania
contra

damn parents...

Parents suck not the video games. I see so many worthless parents in my life that it makes me sick. Video games are the only things keeping these little animals inside otherwise they would be outside killing the good kids.

Totally agree with that statement!!! :Clap :Clap

birtikidis
06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
i don't know, i can't really get the whole "glorify criminal activity" craze that has swept the video game world.

Les 74
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
i don't know, i can't really get the whole "glorify criminal activity" craze that has swept the video game world.

I wouldn't really look at it as "glorifying" criminal activity.When I play(and I know many others that feel the same way,)I play for fun or to vent a little bit.I would never in a million years hit someone with a baseball bat or yank an old lady out of her car and steal it.

birtikidis
06-13-2008, 06:57 PM

I wouldn't really look at it as "glorifying" criminal activity.When I play(and I know many others that feel the same way,)I play for fun or to vent a little bit.I would never in a million years hit someone with a baseball bat or yank an old lady out of her car and steal it.
but you and i have common sense. we aren't one of the multitudes of stupid people roaming the streets.

Shawn
06-13-2008, 09:00 PM

I don't know...theres nothing quite like doing a drive by and bangin a prostitute in these grand theft auto games. I fully endorse these games to the youth of America. :lol:

I think it's a little bit of both. I truely believe filth in...filth out. You need good parents but good parents keep their kids from absorbing all the nonsense around them. Parents need to know what their kids watch, what games they play, who they hang with etc and so on. You can't point your finger at one societal woe and say ahhh haa thats it. It's multifactoral...with the center piece certainly being parenting.

LasVegasGuy
06-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Neither can I. I can say that my son won't be playing these types of games not out of fear that he will mimic them but I want him to have respect for people and things. Games that contradict what I am preaching will not be in my household.

Shawn
06-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Neither can I. I can say that my son won't be playing these types of games not out of fear that he will mimic them but I want him to have respect for people and things. Games that contradict what I am preaching will not be in my household.

As it should be.

birtikidis
06-15-2008, 01:31 AM

now if only the majority would do as you.
and i tell ya, unfortunately even though you don't allow it, when they get to be around kids whose parents let them do what they want (ie school) they still get to hear about it. and it's still a part of their life.