PDA

View Full Version : Position Battles in Camp

steeld95
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Just curious which position battles in camp everyone is looking forward to.

I am interested to see if someone else can step up at db. I know Ike pretty much has his spot. We are in need for someone else to step up. Townsend is getting old! He is solid, but we need to start getting someone else ready. I really thought McFadden would have made a bigger impact last year. Maybe this year. I am very interested to see if William Gay made any progress.

Oviedo
05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm looking forward to the following:

Kemo versus Mahan at LG
Timmons versus Foote at ILB
McFadden versus Townsend at CB
Clark versus Smith at FS (maybe add Townsend in that battle)
Starks versus Colon at T
Sweed versus Washington for #3. Should be Sweed's to lose.
Russell versus Davenport at RB
Reid versus Baker versus whoever for #5 receiver

Should be a great camp

SteelerNation1
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Starks versus Colon at T

Should be a great camp

These three are going to be fun to watch unfold. I am always excited to watch the guys in the trenches, especially the d lineman. I am praying a young, undrafted dlineman steps up and makes an impact in training camp. Also, I am interested to see the development of Ryan McBean.

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
RB Mendy vs. Russell

LG Kemo vs. Colon (I'm hoping)

OLB Bruce Davis vs. James Harrison (I realize this is a stretch)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
The two battles that I am looking forward to:

Timmons vs. Foote - I expect Timmons to at least earn more time, if not win outright.

Townsend vs. McFadden - is this the year that BMac finally steps up and grabs a starting spot?

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
The two battles that I am looking forward to:

Timmons vs. Foote - I expect Timmons to at least earn more time, if not win outright.

Townsend vs. McFadden - is this the year that BMac finally steps up and grabs a starting spot?

It seems like we have been waiting for that to happen forever... Maybe this year.

steelz09
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm really looking forward to the following position battles:

R. Clark vs. A. Smith
N. Washington vs. L. Sweed
L. Foote vs. L. Timmons

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM

R. Clark vs. A. Smith
L. Foote vs. L. Timmons

I'm afraid that if Smith wins that battle then we are in trouble. It likely means that Clark has not been able to recover, because I can't see Smith as our FS - and that was my stance last off season as well. I really like Clark as our FS.

BigLebowski
05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I, too, am very interested in the formation of the Oline and the backups along the D-line.

I am curious to see who gets the last running back spot, and whether or not our top 2 rookies earn playing time with Ben.

Is Moore the answer in the return game, or does Bloom, Reid or one of the rookie free agents make the team over Dallas Clark?

It will be very interesting to see if any of the young guys(BMac, Gay, Smith, Timmons, Sweed) can crack the starting lineup over the grizzled vets(Deshea, Clark, Foote, Washington).

Iron Shiek
05-20-2008, 12:00 AM
You all are forgetting the biggest battle: Big Ben vs. Double D's (Dixon)!! :shock: :)

Seriously, by far the O-line is my main focus in training camp. They need to find the right combination before preseason in my opinion, then give them some time to gel together in preseason and be ready for the opener.

anothersteelerfan
05-20-2008, 12:03 AM

Starks versus Colon at T

Should be a great camp

These three are going to be fun to watch unfold. I am always excited to watch the guys in the trenches, especially the d lineman. I am praying a young, undrafted dlineman steps up and makes an impact in training camp. Also, I am interested to see the development of Ryan McBean.
Isn't McBean still hurt, I thought I remember reading he was on crutches in mini camp?

BigLebowski
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
...They need to find the right combination before preseason in my opinion, then give them some time to gel together in preseason and be ready for the opener.

God, I hope you are right, Tomlin and crew drove me crazy last year. I am hoping to attribute that to being a rookie coach.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Timmons versus Foote at ILB -- this shoudl be the most exciting battle of all

McFadden versus Townsend at CB like they've all said, we keep waiting for this... if BMac is gonna earn his big payday, here's his chance.

Clark versus Smith at FS Carter, Mundy, Lorello... too may Safeties already... We need a ball hawk.

Starks versus Colon at T for $6.9 mil, Starks better win in a landslide

Reid versus Baker versus whoever for #5 receiver this one might well come down to who can return kicks... you figure Ward, Holmes, Washington and Sweed have 1-4 locked up... Cowher used to keep 6 WRs (Morey) so, don't be terribly shocked if that happens....

I think Davenport's battle will be with Davis for FB... Parker, Mendy, Moore, Russel and (Dookie or Davis).... that's your backfield

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 07:42 AM
[quote]Timmons versus Foote at ILB -- this shoudl be the most exciting battle of all

McFadden versus Townsend at CB like they've all said, we keep waiting for this... if BMac is gonna earn his big payday, here's his chance.

Clark versus Smith at FS Carter, Mundy, Lorello... too may Safeties already... We need a ball hawk.

Starks versus Colon at T for $6.9 mil, Starks better win in a landslide

Reid versus Baker versus whoever for #5 receiver this one might well come down to who can return kicks... you figure Ward, Holmes, Washington and Sweed have 1-4 locked up... Cowher used to keep 6 WRs (Morey) so, don't be terribly shocked if that happens....

I think Davenport's battle will be with Davis for FB... Parker, Mendy, Moore, Russel and (Dookie or Davis).... that's your backfield[/quote:6d1y8v9c]

I agree that Davenport should be battling Davis. FWP, RM, Russell and Moore should be locks.

calmkiller
05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Is Moore the answer in the return game, or does Bloom, Reid or one of the rookie free agents make the team over Dallas Clark?

When did we get Dallas Clark?

MeetJoeGreene
05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Timmons vs Foote - I echo this sentiment.

And the safety spot -- Clark, Smith, or new blood (Mundy, Lorello).

I HOPE it will be an interesting RB battle. Not between Mendy and Russell but between PARKER and Mendy. Cause that would be that RM is THAT good.

steeld95
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

I am also very interested in this matchup. I want to see how Nate reacts to the competition. I thought he really started to play well at the end of last year. The bright side of it is, whoever loses that battle is a hell of a #4 receiver!

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 09:18 AM

I am also very interested in this matchup. I want to see how Nate reacts to the competition. I thought he really started to play well at the end of last year. The bright side of it is, whoever loses that battle is a hell of a #4 receiver!

I don't see Washington offering much competition to Sweed. He is way too inconsistent. I didn't see where he was really improving last year. Compared to 2006, he had less catches and a lower yard per catch average. He still can't get yards after he catches the ball. I think this is Washington last year with the team and when gone we won't miss much.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 10:05 AM

I don't see Washington offering much competition to Sweed. He is way too inconsistent. I didn't see where he was really improving last year. Compared to 2006, he had less catches and a lower yard per catch average. He still can't get yards after he catches the ball. I think this is Washington last year with the team and when gone we won't miss much.

Agreed, Sweed should have #3 locked up easily. I think Sweed could be a #2 receiver on most teams today. Well maybe i'm expecting too much, but I think he's gonna be the real deal. Over time I expect him to be our #1 and Santonio to continually be the bridesmaid... one fast as hell bridesmaid...

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't think it is expecting too much. Sweed has great talent. The only concern with him is that he seems to get dinged a lot. He was probably a better receiver in his junior year of college than Nate Washington is now. This year is when we start passing the torch from Hines to Santonio and Sweed. I continue to hope that Hines is willing to go out with the class that Bettis did and as a Steeler.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think it is expecting too much. Sweed has great talent. The only concern with him is that he seems to get dinged a lot. He was probably a better receiver in his junior year of college than Nate Washington is now. This year is when we start passing the torch from Hines to Santonio and Sweed. I continue to hope that Hines is willing to go out with the class that Bettis did and as a Steeler.

I'm with you in hoping Hines stays classy... Whenever I read one of his interviews about how he always feels disrespected, it makes me worry.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm most interested in the battle at RB. I am also curious as to
the ability of Sweed to take PT from Washington.

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM

I think Sweed will most certainly do this. My hopefuls on the WR tier are the following:

Ward
Holmes
Sweed
Reid
Baker
Washington

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 10:54 AM

I think Sweed will most certainly do this. My hopefuls on the WR tier are the following:

Ward
Holmes
Sweed
Reid
Baker
Washington

I think that the list you have would be my preferred list. If one had to drop off it would be Baker IMO.

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Ward
Holmes
Sweed
Reid
Baker
Washington

I think that the list you have would be my preferred list. If one had to drop off it would be Baker IMO.

Agreed. But the Gator in me still holds out that this guy could be productive in the redzone. The guy was a TD machine at Florida. Hopefully he's bulked up in the off season and can actually get more touches in the preseason.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm with you in hoping Hines stays classy... Whenever I read one of his interviews about how he always feels disrespected, it makes me worry.

Hines is the player that he is because he always feels disrespected. Any perceived slight, real or not, motivates him to try to prove any and all doubters wrong, and therefore he always plays with a chip on his shoulder, even after multiple Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP. If Ward was comfortable resting on his laurels, then I'd be worried. Most people hate it when Hines is complaining about relatively minor things...it just shows me that he will continue to have his edge this season.

steeld95
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Agreed. But the Gator in me still holds out that this guy could be productive in the redzone. The guy was a TD machine at Florida. Hopefully he's bulked up in the off season and can actually get more touches in the preseason.

I have seen Baker play first hand a few times and he definitely was a scoring machine at UF in the redzone. I went to another SEC east school, and I have watched him burn my team a few times in the red zone. If he can put it all together, he can be dangerous in the red zone. That could be a nice red zone combo with him and Sweed

RussBII
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

I have seen Baker play first hand a few times and he definitely was a scoring machine at UF in the redzone. I went to another SEC east school, and I have watched him burn my team a few times in the red zone. If he can put it all together, he can be dangerous in the red zone. That could be a nice red zone combo with him and Sweed

I'm all for tall receivers in the red zone. But every time we talk about Dallas Baker and his potential red zone production, I just can't help but think "What about Heath and Spaeth?"

I really hope that we utilize our TEs a LOT more this year... Hopefully Mewelde can stay in and block on 3rd down to let our big guys run free.

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

If he does make the squad, and is inserted when we're in the red zone. How can one team hope to cover Baker, Sweed, Spaeth and Miller. Talk about huge targets. These boys should be playing B-Ball somewhere.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 11:13 AM

Hines is the player that he is because he always feels disrespected. Any perceived slight, real or not, motivates him to try to prove any and all doubters wrong, and therefore he always plays with a chip on his shoulder, even after multiple Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP. If Ward was comfortable resting on his laurels, then I'd be worried. Most people hate it when Hines is complaining about relatively minor things...it just shows me that he will continue to have his edge this season.

Agreed, but some of it is clearly manufactured... that's what makes me worried...

steeld95
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm all for tall receivers in the red zone. But every time we talk about Dallas Baker and his potential red zone production, I just can't help but think "What about Heath and Spaeth?"

If Baker and Sweed can make an impact in the red zone, it would only open it up for the TE's. You can never have too many big targets in the redzone, they can't cover them all

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I'll be disappointed if Mendenhall is battling either Davenport or Russell for the #2. I am hoping/expecting him to settle into the #2 and battling himself to see how much of a load he can handle. Najeh had 107 carries last year. How many more snaps can they count on RM to take?

J_C_Steel
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
The battle at wide receiver will be fierce. We know the first four slots, but what about the 5th or pehaps even 6th position?

Should be fun to watch.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
The battle at wide receiver will be fierce. We know the first four slots, but what about the 5th or pehaps even 6th position?

Should be fun to watch.

Agreed...can Sweed be the 3rd WR? Also, the battle between Baker, Trannon, Reid
and Bloom should be fun to obseve.

AkronSteel
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey guys first post here......long time reader of Steelerslive, glad to have found a site where all the good posters went!

As far as the position battles:

I'm very interested to see what Timmons can do in the middle, according to Tomlin its like night and day with him so I guess we can hope that he brings the speed to the middle that we haven't had since K. Bell's early days (remember how he used to collapse the pocket).

I am also interested to see what happens on the O Line, I would like to see Colon shifted inside but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

As far as BMac goes, I hope that he can take that job finally. I think he may have split more snaps with Townsend last year if he hadn't sprained that ankle early on. I think he has great potential to be better than anyone we have had in a while but I guess it is a wait and see process.

Well anyway, glad to have found a good site, ready for some good conversation!!!

Go Steelers

AkronSteel

AngryAsian
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey guys first post here......long time reader of Steelerslive, glad to have found a site where all the good posters went!

I'm very interested to see what Timmons can do in the middle, according to Tomlin its like night and day with him so I guess we can hope that he brings the speed to the middle that we haven't had since K. Bell's early days (remember how he used to collapse the pocket).

I am also interested to see what happens on the O Line, I would like to see Colon shifted inside but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

As far as BMac goes, I hope that he can take that job finally. I think he may have split more snaps with Townsend last year if he hadn't sprained that ankle early on. I think he has great potential to be better than anyone we have had in a while but I guess it is a wait and see process.

Well anyway, glad to have found a good site, ready for some good conversation!!!

Go Steelers

AkronSteel

HEY! There can be only one AS on this site.... :lol:

Just kiddin' brother, welcome aboard and I'm with you on the Timmons sentiments. I really hope he will now be the monster in the middle we need.

AkronSteel
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Sorry Asian, I didn't even think about it, my bad!!!

Been reading your posts for a while, very insightful!!!

Look forward to the conversations!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM

Don't apologize to him... he shoulda stayed AA. :P

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2008, 12:42 PM

SoD with the Kimbo Slice avatar! Where would he play on our defense?

Iron Shiek
05-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Murderer. (or head hunter for a more politically correct term).

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Where ever he wanted. :lol:

Seriously, I wanted something different... and a couple of weeks ago, i was getting a little "scruffy" and considering a beard... Someone in the cafeteria at work told me that i looked like him (which I don't)... I promptly shaved it... but, I now think of that comment daily as I see the duded in the cafeteria.

I was just about to go get some grub and decided what the heck... Kimbo, it is.

Shawn
05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome Akron...and I think you will be VERY surprised with Faddy this season.

MeetJoeGreene
05-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Dude --- that is one freaky avatar.

I am more afraid of you than Tsar now.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Where ever he wanted. :lol:

Seriously, I wanted something different... and a couple of weeks ago, i was getting a little "scruffy" and considering a beard... Someone in the cafeteria at work told me that i looked like him (which I don't)... I promptly shaved it... but, I now think of that comment daily as I see the duded in the cafeteria.

I was just about to go get some grub and decided what the heck... Kimbo, it is.

The only time anyone would mistake me for Kimbo would be if I had my shirt off due to my awesome physique. :lol:

Of course, it would be kind of weird since I'm white as a ghost...dude would have to be wearing some mighty powerful sunglasses. 8)

SteelerOfDeVille
05-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Dude --- that is one freaky avatar.

I am more afraid of you than Tsar now.
Well, that was the other reason... Flippy used to comment on how my avatar with Zo Jackson used to make him think that I was a big mean, mofo...

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Go Steelers

AkronSteel

HEY! There can be only one AS on this site.... :lol:

Just kiddin' brother, welcome aboard and I'm with you on the Timmons sentiments. I really hope he will now be the monster in the middle we need.

Maybe someone should have NOT had an identity crisis.

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 01:58 PM

I really hope that we utilize our TEs a LOT more this year... Hopefully Mewelde can stay in and block on 3rd down to let our big guys run free.

Spaeth and Heath are the answers in the red zone. Spaeth got several early TDs then Ben quit throwing to him. I know he was injured, but few LBs or DBs can cover a guy that size who can catch.

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
One I forgot that could be interesting is the 3rd TE battle between Dekker and Cody Boyd. Me personally, I like to see Boyd win that one. A 6'8" target for the red zone.

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
No battle interests me as much as the one within the WR corps.We could have serious depth across the board(well,except for Nate. :lol: )

Jigawatts
05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
One I forgot that could be interesting is the 3rd TE battle between Dekker and Cody Boyd. Me personally, I like to see Boyd win that one. A 6'8" target for the red zone.

Miller - 6'5
Spaeth - 6'7
Boyd - 6-8

It would be hard for a defense to match up with that set in red zone situations.

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:09 PM

Miller - 6'5
Spaeth - 6'7
Boyd - 6-8

It would be hard for a defense to match up with that set in red zone situations.

As long as we aren't using them as extra OL. :lol:

blacknblue80s
05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers bring in a 7 footer. Even without great hands, if Ben throws to him 3 times he's likely to catch one... kind of like 3 flys up.

Just remember who you heard this revolutionary idea from. :lol:

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers bring in a 7 footer. Even without great hands, if Ben throws to him 3 times he's likely to catch one... kind of like 3 flys up.

How about this guy??

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAIL207~Great-Khali-Posters.jpg

blacknblue80s
05-20-2008, 02:28 PM

How about this guy??

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAIL207~Great-Khali-Posters.jpg

Exactly... the perfect redzone target.

I could just hear the defenders, "you cover him"... "no he's your's".

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM

If he only catches one out of three he would be Nate Washington only taller
:D

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Miller - 6'5
Spaeth - 6'7
Boyd - 6-8

As long as we aren't using them as extra OL. :lol:

Bingo. Heath is sooo under utilized its redonkulous. If he were on a more pass happy team, or hell, if he could go out and run routes more than 10% of the time no one would talk about Todd Heap....

Les 74
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RussBII
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM

How about this guy??

Ever see a profile shot of this dude? I doubt his chin would fit under the facemask.

Plus his legs are stupid skinny, someone could chop him down like a tree...

Oh wait... we weren't being serious were we?

Les 74
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM

How about this guy??

Ever see a profile shot of this dude? I doubt his chin would fit under the facemask.

All true,but you have to know that he killed a guy once!! :shock: :lol:

BigLebowski
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM

When did we get Dallas Clark?
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Of course, the sober Dude, realizes he meant Dallas Baker. :lol:

RussBII
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
[quote="Les 74":19un16xz]

How about this guy??

All true,but you have to know that he killed a guy once!! :shock: :lol:[/quote:19un16xz]

In the ring??? I don't doubt it. The guy is a monster... What were the details?

BigLebowski
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
If he does make the squad, and is inserted when we're in the red zone. How can one team hope to cover Baker, Sweed, Spaeth and Miller. Talk about huge targets. These boys should be playing B-Ball somewhere.

While that is quite the impressive bunch, albeit at heighth only, where does Hines and Holmes go? You still need solid guys in the slot to take coverage away from the back of the endzone.

Actually if Sweed and Baker do work out, this is a nice problem to have-- too many guys for the redzone attack. :!:

Oviedo
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

While that is quite the impressive bunch, albeit at heighth only, where does Hines and Holmes go? You still need solid guys in the slot to take coverage away from the back of the endzone.

Actually if Sweed and Baker do work out, this is a nice problem to have-- too many guys for the redzone attack. :!:

You send your tall receivers to the corners and the back of the end zone and let Hines and Holmes work undeneath with crossing patterns. Tough to defend.

RussBII
05-20-2008, 03:22 PM

You send your tall receivers to the corners and the back of the end zone and let Hines and Holmes work undeneath with crossing patterns. Tough to defend.

Plus let's not rule out the possibility of Hines and Santonio being able to get "lost" amongst all the redwoods out there... One small seam and a good delivery and either one of those cats is gone for 6 points.

blacknblue80s
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

The difference is with a 7 footer is that his lower body could be covered but his hands would always be wide open. :lol:

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 08:21 AM

The difference is with a 7 footer is that his lower body could be covered but his hands would always be wide open. :lol:

That is the advantage a Spaeth (6'7") or Cody Boyd (6'8") would give us. Ben just need to look at the TEs first and often. They are usually open.

AngryAsian
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM

As the #1 and #2 options they'll pull as many players away from the redwoods, then it will be all gravy....... that is if Mahan isn't on the line. :x

Les 74
05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

As the #1 and #2 options they'll pull as many players away from the redwoods, then it will be all gravy....... that is if Mahan isn't on the line. :x

Prepare for him to be the starting LG. :roll:

steelz09
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't see Mahan beating out Kemo.

I like size that Kemo brings to the table. I have always been a big support of big offensive lineman. I think the size additions of Kemo and Hartwig should improve our line play this year.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

I don't see Mahan beating out Kemo.

I like size that Kemo brings to the table. I have always been a big support of big offensive lineman. I think the size additions of Kemo and Hartwig should improve our line play this year.

I hope you're right,j,but I don't see a guy with that big of a contract riding the pine.............unfortunately.

Oviedo
05-21-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm with you that Mahan beats out Kemo because Mahan is a superior pass blocker...at the Guard position.

calmkiller
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
The WR battles are always something I enjoy watching no matter what or who is in the battle. Safety will be fun to watch this year and the battle at MLB.

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 04:41 PM
The WR battles are always something I enjoy watching no matter what or who is in the battle. Safety will be fun to watch this year and the battle at MLB.

Agreed about the WR..... Alright, here's a thought: IF Dixon is, in fact, going to be another Randle El-type player, will he be battling at the WR position, thus freeing up the #3 qb position for Zabransky?.... If this was previously addressed, my apologies since I didn't go thru the whole thread...

Shawn
05-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Nightmare to defend.

Les 74
05-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Agreed about the WR..... Alright, here's a thought: IF Dixon is, in fact, going to be another Randle El-type player, will he be battling at the WR position, thus freeing up the #3 qb position for Zabransky?.... If this was previously addressed, my apologies since I didn't go thru the whole thread...

From what I've heard,Dixon says that he'll only compete for a QB position.

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM

...Is his first name spelled K-O-R-D-E-L-L?

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2008, 06:41 PM

...Is his first name spelled K-O-R-D-E-L-L?
alright, I was unhappy with the Dixon pick, too... but, Kordell might be a little harsh. :lol:

Ok, maybe it's harsh in the sense that we got ticked off at that SOB because it always seemed that just when the team was gonna dump him, they'd go 13-3 and think, "well, this aint so bad". But, realistically, Kordell as a backup QB isn't that bad.

Is it?

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
alright, I was unhappy with the Dixon pick, too... but, Kordell might be a little harsh. :lol:

Ok, maybe it's harsh in the sense that we got ticked off at that SOB because it always seemed that just when the team was gonna dump him, they'd go 13-3 and think, "well, this aint so bad". But, realistically, Kordell as a backup QB isn't that bad.

Is it?

I'm not unhappy about the Dixon pick at all.... I think he could fit a great multi-dimentional role (once he heals, and that will take a bit...). And to take it further, as I said previously, put an "80-something" number on him and let Zabransky compete for #3.

I was referring to Kordells' penchant to ONLY want to play qb.... Dixon seems to be "echoing" this, if it is true... I didn't mind Kordell as a backup (minus the passes thrown on shoestring levels... :lol: ). ... But If Dixon really is gonna be a "qb or nothing" type guy, then THAT is where I draw the comparison.

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Is it?

I'm not unhappy about the Dixon pick at all.... I think he could fit a great multi-dimentional role (once he heals, and that will take a bit...). And to take it further, as I said previously, put an "80-something" number on him and let Zabransky compete for #3.

I was referring to Kordells' penchant to ONLY want to play qb.... Dixon seems to be "echoing" this, if it is true... I didn't mind Kordell as a backup (minus the passes thrown on shoestring levels... :lol: ). ... But If Dixon really is gonna be a "qb or nothing" type guy, then THAT is where I draw the comparison.

I haven't heard anything specifically from Dixon himself saying that he only wants to be a QB (unlike Kordell, who basically refused to play any WR after his first couple of years in the league). It is the coaches who are saying that they drafted him to be a QB, and will train him to be a QB. I don't see Randle El potential in him anyway (potential to be a full-time WR at the NFL level), but I think he could be a quality backup that could be used in a non-traditional role occasionally to throw off defenses (something like a taller version of Seattle's Seneca Wallace).

NKySteeler
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I haven't heard anything specifically from Dixon himself saying that he only wants to be a QB (unlike Kordell, who basically refused to play any WR after his first couple of years in the league). It is the coaches who are saying that they drafted him to be a QB, and will train him to be a QB. I don't see Randle El potential in him anyway (potential to be a full-time WR at the NFL level), but I think he could be a quality backup that could be used in a non-traditional role occasionally to throw off defenses (something like a taller version of Seattle's Seneca Wallace).

I was just going off of Less' comments earlier on the "qb" thing.... I really hope you're right Ruthless, and I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but I just don't see him as a decent qb.... Not without the "gadget plays".... Like alot of you guys (Maybe more so), I have gotten into Pac-10 ball since I subscribed to the Gameplan several years ago, and saw a good bit of Oregon..... I just don't see it...

Oviedo
05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
What Dixon wants and will do won't make a difference because he physically won't be able to play at the NFL level when the season starts. The Steelers will stash him somewhere and Zabansky will be #3 this year.

Shawn
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM
The #3 QB position is between Dixon and Zabransky...one will make the team.
One will likely make the PS. I believe #3 will be Dixon. Dixon has a gun...he
can make all the throws. Unless he can't physically play he will win that battle.

MeetJoeGreene
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
The #3 QB position is between Dixon and Zabransky...one will make the team.
One will likely make the PS. I believe #3 will be Dixon. Dixon has a gun...he
can make all the throws. Unless he can't physically play he will win that battle.
And if he can't play, the will probably IR him and kee Zabransky (unless he really sucks)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Just curious which position battles in camp everyone is looking forward to.

I am interested to see if someone else can step up at db. I know Ike pretty much has his spot. We are in need for someone else to step up. Townsend is getting old! He is solid, but we need to start getting someone else ready. I really thought McFadden would have made a bigger impact last year. Maybe this year. I am very interested to see if William Gay made any progress.

There will be allot of competition going on. The one I am most interested in is ILB. I want to see what Timmons has. The players I am most excited about seeing hit the field with some playing time are Woodley, Mendenhall, Sweed, & Russell. I want to see the future!

NC Steeler Fan
05-23-2008, 03:36 PM

R. Clark vs. A. Smith
L. Foote vs. L. Timmons

I'm afraid that if Smith wins that battle then we are in trouble. It likely means that Clark has not been able to recover, because I can't see Smith as our FS - and that was my stance last off season as well. I really like Clark as our FS.

I agree on Clark...I really think we had a serious threat with him in the game
at all times. I want him at FS too.

BIG FAN
07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
This looked like a good topic to bump back up as we only have six more days till camp.
Anyone changed thier minds?
Anything new after OTA'S?

Oviedo
07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
This looked like a good topic to bump back up as we only have six more days till camp.
Anyone changed thier minds?
Anything new after OTA'S?

Suggest you start a "new or update poitions" thread. With 6 pages it is kinda hard to keep track of what was said. Great idea though.

ramblinjim
07-21-2008, 08:24 AM
As an Eastern Illinois alum myself, I'm hoping our guy Micah Rucker looks good in camp at WR. I dont' think he'll make the Steelers b/c I don't think he plays much special teams but he seems like a pretty decent kid from the articles I've read about him and as someone else said "you can't coach 6'6"). That may not be a direct quote....

:tt2

SteelerOfDeVille
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Same stuff here.
Creme de la creme
1. Timmons vs Foote
2. Max vs Colon
3. BMac vs Deshea

Of interest, but, not the top discussion
4. Clark vs Smith - this is as much about Clark's health as it is Smith's improvement...
5. Center will be intriguing
6 (tie). Sweed vs Nate
6 (tie). Mendy vs Moore for carries behind Parker.

Will be heated, but, have little impact on this season
The last WR spot... that could also depend on whether the team keeps 5 or 6 WRs...