PDA

View Full Version : Belichick responds to Walsh's comments, admits mistake

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 09:22 PM
BOSTON -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick responded to the team's former video assistant Friday, saying in a televised interview that Matt Walsh was a low-level staffer who was fired for "poor job performance"

"There's not a lot of credibility," Belichick said in an interview broadcast on "CBS Evening News."

"You know, he's tried to make it seem like we're buddies, and belong to the same book club and all. That's really a long, long stretch."

Belichick acknowledged that he was wrong about NFL rules prohibiting filming opponents signals but insisted there was no intent to hide what he was doing.

"I made a mistake," he said in the interview. "I was wrong. I was wrong."

That rationale has already been rejected by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who fined the coach $500,000 and docked the Patriots $250,000 and its first-round draft pick.

"I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened," Goodell said Tuesday, "and I still don't to this day."

In an interview with HBO for "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel," Walsh dismissed Belichick's attempts to minimize the impact of the taping. Walsh told HBO he was coached on how to evade NFL rules, and that team officials instructed him on ways to avoid detection.

"When I was doing it, I understood what we were doing to be wrong," Walsh said. "Coach Belichick's explanation for having misinterpreted the rules, to me, that really didn't sound like taking responsibility for what we had done, especially considering the great lengths that we had gone through to hide what we were doing."

Belichick denied telling Walsh to hide what he was doing.

"You look at the tape. You see him filming the game," the coach told CBS. "You tell me how discrete it is."

Belichick has said he didn't even know Walsh, who was fired for poor performance and for making a tape recording of a meeting with player personnel director Scott Pioli.

"For him to talk about game-planning and strategy and play-calling and how he advised coordinators, it's embarrassing; it's absurd," Belichick said. "He didn't have any knowledge of football. He was our third video assistant."

Belichick's comments came on the same day the Boston Herald printed a front-page apology by reporter John Tomase, who wrote on the day before New England's Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants this year that the Patriots had taped the St. Louis Rams' walk-through before the 2002 NFL title game.

Under the headline: "How it went wrong," Tomase wrote that he heard rumors the team's cheating was more widespread than the league had already acknowledged. But when he learned the team's video crew had been setting up equipment at the walk-through, he made a "devastating leap of logic," by assuming the camera was rolling.

"First and foremost, this is about a writer breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism: I failed to keep challenging what I had been told," he said.

"I had repeatedly heard that this walkthrough had been taped, and from people I trusted. Eventually I accepted it as fact and stopped questioning the assertion."

Are we sure we want to start pissing people off, B.B? I mean what if Walsh was holding back the Rams walkthrough tape and you just made him mad? Or on the other hand B.B. knows Walsh has been bought and this is his way of clearing his name.

BigBen2112
05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Excuse me for not really buying into the whole idea of:

"Oh **** I didnt realize we were violating any league rules when we cheated and gain an advantage that not only benefitted us and helped us win the super bowl but also lessened the integrity of the NFL and also called into question whether the product on the field is real and worth watching...by STEALING other team's signs."
:roll: :roll: :roll:

AngryAsian
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Excuse me for not really buying into the whole idea of:

"Oh bad word I didnt realize we were violating any league rules when we cheated and gain an advantage that not only benefitted us and helped us win the super bowl but also lessened the integrity of the NFL and also called into question whether the product on the field is real and worth watching...by STEALING other team's signs."
:roll: :roll: :roll:

I agree. One of the "Greatest coaches and NFL minds" in history, didn't interpret the rules correctly. That's like a cardio-vascular surgeon, killing off a patient he just did open heart surgery on and saying, "Sorry guys, I just killed your loved one, because my interpretation of the quadruple bypass was not correct." How could you be a coach of at the highest level of the game, and not have an accurate interpretation of what's right and wrong. BS, boys and girls.

Shawn
05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
If the rules were truely in question...he could have asked for clarification from the league. He chose not to do that. This is a situation where he was doing something shadey...and figured if he got caught he would ask for forgiveness rather than asking for persmission.

steelz09
05-18-2008, 11:28 AM
What a joke.

This will go down as one of the biggest cover-ups in NFL history.

BB knew exactly what he was doing... It's so obvious to everyone what was going on in NE. Spygate is a lot deeper than what was originally though of, and if Specter gets his way, I feel he could expose much more.

LasVegasGuy
05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Football field = Genius
Classroom = Complete idiot.

He is using this "not understanding the rules" excuse and the NFL is buying it. I hope, no I pray, that Specter doesn't let this die until their is a complete investigation. I am not going to be happy until I see guys from past and present answer questions under oath. Since I don't watch ESPN anyway I don't care if this is in the news for another year.

steeld95
05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Also, I thought I heard he was warned about this a few years back? So did he somehow just forget the rule that he received a warning on?? Complete BS.

AngryAsian
05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
The sad thing is that this is all that it will amount to. Spectre appears to be the only one in that committee pushing for this. If so..... let BB live in infamy. What a tool.