PDA

View Full Version : Daunting Schedule On Paper

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Daunting schedule on paper

Evaluating a particular team’s schedule before the start of a season is akin to trying to hit a moving target. One season’s playoff contender can become next season’s cupcake, especially in the NFL where parity reigns supreme.

Even with all of that, even in a league where five teams that made the playoffs in 2006 didn’t repeat in 2007, the Steelers schedule in 2008 is brutal.

In this case, what constitutes “brutal” is:

• Eight of the Steelers’ 10 games outside the AFC North Division are against teams that made the playoffs last season. Two other games are against division rival Cleveland, which only missed the playoffs because of tiebreakers.

• They play games against teams quarterbacked by four of the top five passers from 2007, and the only reason it’s only four of the top five is because their own quarterback — Ben Roethlisberger — was ranked No. 2 in the league.

• The two most recent Super Bowl champions are on the schedule, as are the New England Patriots, who won back-to-back titles in 2004-05.

• The combined winning percentage of the teams on the schedule is .598. By contrast, the combined winning percentage of New England’s opponents is .387.

“You have to be careful how much you read into it in advance because every year is different and every year teams go up and down,” said team president Art Rooney II. “Even though it is ranked as one of the toughest schedules, you never know. Certainly going in it is one of the tougher groups of teams that I have seen in a long time, particularly in terms of the home schedule.”

If the Steelers were a team that needed an attractive home schedule to sell tickets, they certainly would have one in 2008. In addition to the games against division opponents, the Steelers will host the defending champion New York Giants, Indianapolis,San Diego and Dallas.

In terms of marquee players, that means Eli Manning, Plaxico Burress, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman, Tony Romo, Terrell Owens and DeMarcus Ware all will be cavorting on the turf at Heinz Field.

“The number of premier teams that are visiting Heinz Field this year will make it an interesting year for our fans,” said Rooney, “and we’re looking forward to the challenge.”In the NFL, challenges presented by the schedule also include having to adjust to the different days and times during which the games are played.

The Steelers have five prime-time games — two Sundays, two Mondays and a Thursday — and six others will start at 4:15 p.m. The networks love prime time and the late time slot on Sundays, but players and coaches prefer the normalcy of 1 p.m. kickoffs.

“Probably the teams that drafted in the top 10 of the first round are probably playing all 1 o’clock games, so if you have a winning team and you are competitive, then you’re going to be playing in the prime-time games,” said Rooney. “That goes with the territory,and we will take it.”

Djfan
05-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I see the schedule as a positive. We play the best, we become the best. That's all.

Shawn
05-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Good article NKy...This schedule is indeed tough. But, I truely believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If we make the playoffs playing this schedule we will primed for a post season run.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 01:18 PM
We will certainly be primed after this run.... As long as we stay healthy, but obviously that can happen against any quality of team.... It's gonna be a very tough run, but I also like it that way as well.... At least we won't be hearing about our "cupcake schedule" from the talking heads.

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 01:19 PM
"To be the best, you have to beat the best"

I am not all worried about the upcoming schedule. Too many things change from the time the schedules are released until the games are actually played. I never understood how anyone could sit here in May and predict the outcome of the upcoming season with any accuracy.

Last year, Baltimore was going to run away with the division with Cincy right on their heals, a few injuries later--- The Steelers and Browns are in a dogfight for the division.

There is always going to be teams that come out of nowhere, while others drop. Let's just hope it is not the Steelers dropping. :wink:

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I for one am not looking forward to this schedule. I just can't get over the fact that the only playoff team we beat last year was the Seachickens. If we don't come out of the gate roaring we are going to be in for a very, very, very long year.

Djfan
05-17-2008, 01:20 PM
The win against the stains week two is very important.

Shawn
05-17-2008, 01:22 PM

I am not all worried about the upcoming schedule. Too many things change from the time the schedules are released until the games are actually played. I never understood how anyone could sit here in May and predict the outcome of the upcoming season with any accuracy.

Last year, Baltimore was going to run away with the division with Cincy right on their heals, a few injuries later--- The Steelers and Browns are in a dogfight for the division.

There is always going to be teams that come out of nowhere, while others drop. Let's just hope it is not the Steelers dropping. :wink:

I can't disagree with any of that. Injuries and numerous other variables make predictions shakey at best. And yes...this schedule is going to make or break us. It will prepare us or bury us. This will be a good barometer to measure this team's heart.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I for one am not looking forward to this schedule. I just can't get over the fact that the only playoff team we beat last year was the Seachickens. If we don't come out of the gate roaring we are going to be in for a very, very, very long year.

I feel your concern lvg, but the way I see it is... If we can't beat these teams in the regular season, we have no place seeing them in the post season. Besides, as so many others have said... Schedules have a way of "changing strengths" as the season progresses.... What's to say that Peyton or Brady don't go down with an injury, etc...

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Their are "flash in the pan" teams that were good one year and fizzled out the next (e.g. New Orlean Saints). But I think it's safe to say we are going to have our hands full with Dallas, Indy, Pats, Jax, Chargers, Eagles. These teams are always in the mix and I don't see much off a drop-off this year from last. As for Redskins, Titans, Giants, Ravens, Browns, Bengals it's a crap shoot.

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 01:25 PM
... If we don't come out of the gate roaring we are going to be in for a very, very, very long year.

While I would like to see a good start to the season, It is more important to play your best football in late November and December.

Say what you want about Cowher, but he understood this as well.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Did somebody mention Cowher?!..... :?: :P

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7097/1ycr3t8htcm09gp7kvk4bilhj2.jpghttp://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2734/p6190001sa9.jpg

Les 74
05-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Did somebody mention Cowher?!..... :?: :P

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7097/1ycr3t8htcm09gp7kvk4bilhj2.jpghttp://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2734/p6190001sa9.jpg

D@mn!!!I love that pic!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
... If we don't come out of the gate roaring we are going to be in for a very, very, very long year.

While I would like to see a good start to the season, It is more important to play your best football in late November and December.

You are coorect. However, a fast start tends to set the tempo for the rest of the year. If we stumble to 1-4 or something like that we are going to have a hard time making something of this season considering who we play down the stretch.

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Their are "flash in the pan" teams that were good one year and fizzled out the next (e.g. New Orlean Saints). But I think it's safe to say we are going to have our hands full with Dallas, Indy, Pats, Jax, Chargers, Eagles. These teams are always in the mix and I don't see much off a drop-off this year from last. As for Redskins, Titans, Giants, Ravens, Browns, Bengals it's a crap shoot.

The Eagles don't scare me at all. But the other teams are challenging, yes, but unbeatable, no! Each team has a weakness, whether it is their secondary, OLine, or whatever. We just need to hope our coaching staff can find the weakness and attack it.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Me too!... :lol:

...I was, and still am a supporter of what he did, but that pic is just funny!

Djfan
05-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Me too!... :lol:

...I was, and still am a supporter of what he did, but that pic is just funny!

Wifey and I just laughed out loud. The expression on his face is priceless.

Les 74
05-17-2008, 01:41 PM

The Eagles don't scare me at all. But the other teams are challenging, yes, but unbeatable, no! Each team has a weakness, whether it is their secondary, OLine, or whatever. We just need to hope our coaching staff can find the weakness and attack it.

Arians.............ugh!!!

costanza2k1
05-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I see the schedule as a positive. We play the best, we become the best. That's all.

Djfan, I agree. Teams/People tend to play to the level of their competition. This schedule will make us one tough team. I think we can win the division again and once we're in the playoffs we all know it's anyones game at that point. On the flip side the Cheatriots have the easiest schedule hopefully they can complete their conversion to full blown wussies by the time the playoffs start. I want revenge!

Djfan
05-17-2008, 02:17 PM
And, I agree with you Cost. When you play soft teams and win you learn to win soft. Let's hope this is the year of bandwagon death in Beantown!

Les 74
05-17-2008, 02:18 PM
And, I agree with you Cost. When you play soft teams and win you learn to win soft. Let's hope this is the year of bandwagon death in Beantown!

Yeah,somehow TB has managed to elude the "season ending injury" thus far.He can't escape it forever.

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Yeah,somehow TB has managed to elude the "season ending injury" thus far.He can't escape it forever.

Season ending is a little extreme but it couldn't happen to a better guy if someone sent him to the bench for the year. Right now I would love to see him miss one or two games and show the Patriots faithful what there team is reallly going to look like without Brady one day. I predict they wouldn't win a game with Cassell.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Right now I would love to see him miss one or two games and show the Patriots faithful what there team is reallly going to look like without Brady one day. I predict they wouldn't win a game with Cassell.

...As long as "one or two games" happens during the timeframe thar we have 'em on the schedule... :wink: .... I don't know about Cassell... He has been a pretty good back-up, and could probably get the job done to an extent (not like Brady, obviously...). Besides, he is a USC guy... :P

LasVegasGuy
05-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Right now I would love to see him miss one or two games and show the Patriots faithful what there team is reallly going to look like without Brady one day. I predict they wouldn't win a game with Cassell.

...As long as "one or two games" happens during the timeframe thar we have 'em on the schedule... :wink: .... I don't know about Cassell... He has been a pretty good back-up, and could probably get the job done to an extent (not like Brady, obviously...). Besides, he is a USC guy... :P

Not going to happen. Mark it down and slam me later if he pulls off a "W". The Patriots don't win one game with Matt Cassell as QB. Remember Miami game last year where I believe his 2nd or 3rd pass was picked and returned for a touchdown. It was enough for B.B. to give him the hook with the game still well in hand.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Not going to happen. Mark it down and slam me later if he pulls off a "W". The Patriots don't win one game with Matt Cassell as QB. Remember Miami game last year where I believe his 2nd or 3rd pass was picked and returned for a touchdown. It was enough for B.B. to give him the hook with the game still well in hand.

You may be right, but he's a back-up, and has been there for a while. If he is completely inept, then BB would get rid of him.

BIG FAN
05-17-2008, 07:33 PM
1. Screw the pats* no matter who the QB is.
2. This schedule is just the tonic we need, this is the kind of **** that makes you want to come out loaded for bear. Difficult teams will show the measure of ours. When we play anybody they always seem for some reason or another to rise up and play their best against us, what is the diff. with this year. The only ways we really ever lose is when we let opponents dictate their off. and we decide to have massive brain farts with our own off. play calling. This sched. is a make or break thing, as I choose the optimistic route I'm all for it.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
1. Screw the pats* no matter who the QB is.
2. This schedule is just the tonic we need, this is the kind of bad word that makes you want to come out loaded for bear. Difficult teams will show the measure of ours. When we play anybody they always seem for some reason or another to rise up and play their best against us, what is the diff. with this year. The only ways we really ever lose is when we let opponents dictate their off. and we decide to have massive brain farts with our own off. play calling. This sched. is a make or break thing, as I choose the optimistic route I'm all for it.

Agreed BF... Our back is up against the "proverbial wall".... I think we will do extremely well, and it will be a great ride... Sure, there will inevitably be "low points" along the way, but I like this route better....

BIG FAN
05-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I would have it no other way big guy.
The low points will surely come but this is really a true fans dream, your team playing the best of the league. And since we got them this year, we are in that caliber come to think of it. :D
You dont get what we got by being soft.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
The low points will surely come but this is really a true fans dream, your team playing the best of the league. And since we got them this year, we are in that caliber come to think of it. :D

We are definitely "in that caliber". Not to mention that the bragging rights will be "off the cuff"!!!!.... I have my doubts about the O-line, even with Hartwig, but if Ben finds the time to use his threats (new and old), it will be something to see.

AngryAsian
05-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Now that's the voice of a true warrior. That's why I don't understand how some can gripe about the schedule. This is the best thing that could happen. The trials and tribulations that is the 2008 Steeler season. "LET's GET IT ON!"

BIG FAN
05-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Now that's the voice of a true warrior. That's why I don't understand how some can gripe about the schedule. This is the best thing that could happen. The trials and tribulations that is the 2008 Steeler season. "LET's GET IT ON!"

I bow to your insight.
I dont understand the fan that wants 'easy" teams (If there is actually ) either. My God!
Its FOOTBALL!