PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable sack #

SteelerNation1
05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
The pressure on Big Ben thread got me thinking. What is a reasonable sack # for Ben this season? What can we expect from at least two new starters on the oline? Remember, this team has given up nearly 100 sacks the past two seasons. If we can limit the sacks to under 30, I say we win 11+ games. If his sack # reaches 40+ again, it may be an 8-9 win season at best. Keep in mind Ben probably "causes" about 10 sacks himself, due to holding the ball too long or not dumping it off. Thoughts.

steelz09
05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm going to make the predictions that Ben will get sacked 33 times this year. Not great, but better than 47!

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
It is hard for me to come up with a number that can equate to wins. The timing of the sacks is really the driving factor as to the outcome of games. Hypothetically we could give up 5 sacks in the 1st Quarter against the Ravens and still win the game, or we could give up only 1 sack to the Pats*, but still lose. Since this sack occured on 4th and goal with 30 seconds left, it had a greater impact on the outcome of the game.

But for Ben's health and the sake of the fans, I would like to see our sack givens up decrease over last year. So any improvement would suffice for me.

Shawn
05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
We will have less sacks this season due to a more powerful running game. Teams will not be able to just pin their ears back and rush. Not to mention having Mendy as an outlet value will be a huge asset to the passing game this season.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I might be aiming low, but a 25% improvement would be nice....so I'll expect about 35.

stlrz d
05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
With the additional weapons added to the offense, if they contribute as anticipated, and little to no injuries I see the sack total decreasing this season by 10-12. So I say 35-37. Still not great but better than 47 for sure!

Of course as the dude, or el dudarino, put forth...the situations when they occur will have an effect on the W-L outcomes. That's the part that I think is impossible to predict.

SteelerNation1
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
It is hard for me to come up with a number that can equate to wins. The timing of the sacks is really the driving factor as to the outcome of games. Hypothetically we could give up 5 sacks in the 1st Quarter against the Ravens and still win the game, or we could give up only 1 sack to the Pats*, but still lose. Since this sack occured on 4th and goal with 30 seconds left, it had a greater impact on the outcome of the game.

But for Ben's health and the sake of the fans, I would like to see our sack givens up decrease over last year. So any improvement would suffice for me.
Great points. I just think of it as a sack=wasted possession. I wonder of the 47 sacks last year, how many resulted in a punt or turnover on the possession it happened.

costanza2k1
05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe the ratio should be how many sacks = Ben's still healthy. I think if we can reduce the sacks from 28-35 we will be fine considering at least 10 of those will be Ben trying to make plays. so 18-25 on the line isn't so bad I guess. Time will tell, Hartwig is the key to our puzzle.

Les 74
05-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I think it will be close to 30.Hopefully under.Really depends on how mcuh Hartwig brings to the table.Oh wait,he wasn't "given" the positon yet!!! :roll: :lol:

AngryAsian
05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Answer to thread topic: 2 ... Though having a 3rd sack could prove to be advantageous if you were a polygamist and had to father several children. But I think two sacks are plenty. :lol:

papillon
05-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Even with Ben's propensity to hold the ball trying to make a play, with another year under his belt, more targets, an RB that can catch the dump off when Ben's in trouble and Hartwig at center I can't see Ben taking any more than 32 sacks, but, IMHO he'll gave about 24 which is 1.5 per game.

Pappy

Shawn
05-19-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm going to roll with 29 sacks this season.

Iron Shiek
05-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Or we could just put our heads in the sand like Colbert: 47 sacks, 47 schmaks, did you see how awesome we were!

Seriously, I EXPECT that number being cut close to half of last year's total. That would be nice, don't think it will happen though.

Shawn
05-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Or we could just put our heads in the sand like Colbert: 47 sacks, 47 schmaks, did you see how awesome we were!

Seriously, I EXPECT that number being cut close to half of last year's total. That would be nice, don't think it will happen though.

I'm hoping that Mendy and Moore will give Ben some targets to dump off to more often. I'm hoping Hartwig doesn't bite. I'm hoping they move Colon to G. I'm hoping Starks finally means business...and playing without a contract might motivate him?

I agree there is reason to be concerned...but I think the team is taking steps in the right direction.

Iron Shiek
05-19-2008, 01:10 AM

I'm hoping that Mendy and Moore will give Ben some targets to dump off to more often. I'm hoping Hartwig doesn't bite. I'm hoping they move Colon to G. I'm hoping Starks finally means business...and playing without a contract might motivate him?

I agree there is reason to be concerned...but I think the team is taking steps in the right direction.

Yeah I didn't want to sound like a negative nancy or anything. But you have a lot of "hoping" going on in that message above. However if a couple of those things you mentioned comes together it will be a vast improvement.

Shawn
05-19-2008, 01:26 AM

Yeah I didn't want to sound like a negative nancy or anything. But you have a lot of "hoping" going on in that message above. However if a couple of those things you mentioned comes together it will be a vast improvement.

Yep lots of hoping...lots and lots of hoping. :lol:
I do like the direction we have gone in the offseason.
The question? Is it enough?

Oviedo
05-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I hope the sack number is around 50. That would be an good target number for the number of times we have the opposing QB on his back :D

SteelerNation1
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I hope the sack number is around 50. That would be an good target number for the number of times we have the opposing QB on his back :D

50 sacks would be sweet! In reality, I'd like double digits from one of our OLB and close to double digits for the other.

Shawn
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I predict Woodley will have 11 sacks Harrison will have 9.

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I expect Woodley to rack up at least 12 sacks. On the other side Harrison is
good for 6-10 as well.

It will be interesting to see how "explosive" Timmons is from inside, he should
get to the opposing qb's a few times too.

AngryAsian
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM
good for 6-10 as well.

I'm hoping to see Davis come out of nowhere and crack the starting lineup. Harrison can be moved to the inside and then.... look out. The main thing that will be interesting to observe this year will be our secondary. I expect our offense to be in the top 5 if not the top 3.... and if our secondary has to man-up against the kind of fire power our offense has to potentially generate, then it should stand to reason that our secondary will become more proficient. It can only help when we face the likes of Indy and the **** up north.

Iron Shiek
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
good for 6-10 as well.

I'm hoping to see Davis come out of nowhere and crack the starting lineup. Harrison can be moved to the inside and then.... look out. The main thing that will be interesting to observe this year will be our secondary. I expect our offense to be in the top 5 if not the top 3.... and if our secondary has to man-up against the kind of fire power our offense has to potentially generate, then it should stand to reason that our secondary will become more proficient. It can only help when we face the likes of Indy and the **** up north.

Yes. I love the flexibility we have with the guys they have brought in. This LB unit should be an exciting one for many years. Just hope it didn't come at the expense of other areas (DL, OL). You know...the trenches is where games are won...we need those guys to step up!

Shawn
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I really think the Steelers will find room for Davis early. He will certainly be a situational pass rusher...I expect he will get 3-4 sacks.

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
good for 6-10 as well.

Harrison was extremely impressive playing inside in preseason games a couple years ago,
hopefully his never being tried there in the regular season was just a Cowher thing.

I would really like to see our LB's moved around occasionally. Imagine woodley
at ILB, with Timmons and Davis at OLB, the possibilities are exciting.

costanza2k1
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
good for 6-10 as well.

I'm with you with the Timmons comment. As I remember it when Lloyd and Green were dominating on the outsides, Brown and Kirklands sack totals when up too. This is finally the LeBeau gets creative again. I think for the past few years we allowed our Lb's to get slow and non factors (Haggans would be a good example)

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
good for 6-10 as well.

I'm with you with the Timmons comment. As I remember it when Lloyd and Green were dominating on the outsides, Brown and Kirklands sack totals when up too. This is finally the LeBeau gets creative again. I think for the past few years we allowed our Lb's to get slow and non factors (Haggans would be a good example)

The last few years I've been watching 3-4 defenses like the Chargers and Cowboys
move their lbs all over the place with all kinds of creativity.

I'm thinking why Dallas and the Chargers but not the Steelers & Hines??

costanza2k1
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I think moving the LBs around is a great idea. They should try that more than moving Troy P. around, I think no one is surprised by him now...he should be a ballhawk and stay in position at least 80% of the time. To follow up with the why Dallas comment and not...

Why Troy P. and not Hines?

blacknblue80s
05-19-2008, 11:51 AM
I think moving the LBs around is a great idea. They should try that more than moving Troy P. around, I think no one is surprised by him now...he should be a ballhawk and stay in position at least 80% of the time. To follow up with the why Dallas comment and not...

:lol:
Yea, even Troy is not fast enough to blitz/ fake blitz and then get back into coverage every time. These days he gets burned more often than not.

Oviedo
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM

So true about Troy. Let him stay back and he'll challenge for the league INT lead. What would really be sweet is to see Aaron Smith have one of those 8 sack seasons like he did a few years ago. With Woodley rushing from his outside it just might open up things for him.

BIG FAN
05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
If Smith does get about 8 sacks, we may indeed be very close to 50 for the season, if you got an end in the 3-4 getting that many, you must have a decent pass rush, something I think we have been lacking in lately. Also will make our secondary look awesome.

As far as Ben taking them I am going to have to go the cautiously optimistic route and hope and pray for improvement from him and the line. I'm going to guess 10-15 less sacks, but I do reserve the right to change my mind after I see our "new line" play.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Les 74
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Great movie.The last 15 minutes always gets me.

AngryAsian
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Favorite dialog from that movie:

Preface: (Andy on his knees in the film room being held down by burley-would be rapists, in front of Boggs, the King Pin of the Bull-queers)

Boggs: Now, I'm gonna open my fly and you're gonna swallow what I give ya to swallow. And after you swallow mine you're gonna swallow Rooster's cause ya done broke his nose and I think he oughta have something to show for it.

Andy: Anything you put in my mouth you're gonna lose.

Boggs: Naw, you don't understand. You do that and I'll put all eight inches of steel in your ear.

Andy: All right. But you should know that sudden serious brain injury causes the victim to bite down hard. In fact, I hear the bite reflex is so strong they have to pry the victims jaws open with a crowbar.

Boggs: Where do you get this ****?

Andy: I read it. You know how to read, you ignorant fukkc?