PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Trolls

Flasteel
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I've put this out in a couple of threads but there's been no response by jhansle or anyone else, so I thought I'd try one more time.

If it's possible, would you guys be down with a system similar to the LoD concept where the board community can nominate and vote for other posters to be labeled a troll? I was thinking that it could be done in similar fashion to the Trib board where some are tagged as trolls in lieu of the "Steel Addict" or "Gold Steel Addict" above their avatar.

Five, six, or seven votes (whatever is decided) would allow jhansle to tag the individual and we could come up with a troll classification system to properly identify the various types of trolls.

NKySteeler
05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes. I agree.... I have a feeling it will be needed before too long...

LasVegasGuy
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM

I agree. PlanetSteelers has been promoted at the Trib. With that said, I see alot of Trolls heading over here to give us crap for leaving them without saying good-bye.

papillon
05-16-2008, 07:45 PM

I agree. PlanetSteelers has been promoted at the Trib. With that said, I see alot of Trolls heading over here to give us crap for leaving them without saying good-bye.

Life is good again, the "Got Milk" babe is back! :lol:

Pappy

LasVegasGuy
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Life is good again, the "Got Milk" babe is back! :lol:

Pappy

We split for awhile but everyone knows the first breakup never takes. Glad to see you here Pap.

AngryAsian
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Agreed.

papillon
05-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Agreed.

Man, AS, that sig rocks!!

Pappy

stlrz d
05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Why label? Ditch 'em as soon as they show their troll colors.

papillon
05-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Hey, where have you been? Nice to see you back, welcome!

Pappy

stlrz d
05-16-2008, 08:54 PM

Pappy

Thanks! I got sick of all the crap over there and bailed. I even PMd the admin to have my account deleted (to show them my level of dissatisfaction with how they were running the joint). They didn't. I would check back once in awhile to see if things had gotten any better but they just got worse. Then I saw a thread about different boards and here I am...hoping this will be more of a well oiled machine.

costanza2k1
05-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I've put this out in a couple of threads but there's been no response by jhansle or anyone else, so I thought I'd try one more time.

Found my first TROLL,
http://www.caveyourtrolls.com/img3.jpg

http://www.sadman64.net/images/rofl.png

Just joshin of course.

papillon
05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
[quote="stlrz d":cionukh9]Why label? Ditch 'em as soon as they show their troll colors.

Pappy

Thanks! I got sick of all the crap over there and bailed. I even PMd the admin to have my account deleted (to show them my level of dissatisfaction with how they were running the joint). They didn't. I would check back once in awhile to see if things had gotten any better but they just got worse. Then I saw a thread about different boards and here I am...hoping this will be more of a well oiled machine.[/quote:cionukh9]

You should never, ever, let them win like that. But, glad you're here...Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!

Pappy

Oviedo
05-16-2008, 09:08 PM
It only works if everyone resists the temptation to respond to the trolls and other idiots from the old board that will show up. Most of what they say is to get a response. Don't respond and they will leave or change their attitude.

NKySteeler
05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
It only works if everyone resists the temptation to respond to the trolls and other idiots from the old board that will show up. Most of what they say is to get a response. Don't respond and they will leave or change their attitude.

The problem is that with a memberlist of 50+ and growing, someone is bound to strike back... Then the crap begins.

LasVegasGuy
05-16-2008, 09:15 PM

The problem is that with a memberlist of 50+ and growing, someone is bound to strike back... Then the crap begins.

Now that you mention it where is the "Ignore" button. Do we not have that priviledge over here?

NKySteeler
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Now that you mention it where is the "Ignore" button. Do we not have that priviledge over here?

I don't think it's installed..... It's all willpower. Personally I like stlrz ds' idea... Just boot 'em if they turnout to be trolls.

LasVegasGuy
05-16-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't think it's installed..... It's all willpower. Personally I like stlrz ds' idea... Just boot 'em if they turnout to be trolls.

We have to be careful here. I have had a difference of opinion with alot of guys and I'm sure they would have loved to label me a troll. We can't haphazardly start throwing the troll label around until someone truly deserves to be labeled one.
If everyone had the same thought process then this board is going to become very boring, very fast.

Flasteel
05-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Personally I don't think anyone should get the boot unless they are continually posting offensive or purposefully inciting material.

I also think the ignore button is a ridiculous tool. Why do you need to place someone on an ignore list like some kind of middle school girl? If you don't like what somebody is saying, can't you just ignore them on your own? It's nothing short of juvenile in my opinion.

AngryAsian
05-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Personally I don't think anyone should get the boot unless they are continually posting offensive or purposefully inciting material.

I also think the ignore button is a ridiculous tool. Why do you need to place someone on an ignore list like some kind of middle school girl? If you don't like what somebody is saying, can't you just ignore them on your own? It's nothing short of juvenile in my opinion.

I used the ignore tool on 2 posters on Trib. I didn't find it very helpful. The key will be jhansles' ability to find quality moderators. I don't think he'll have the resources to do it all himself once the site starts evolving in membership numbers.

Shawn
05-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sure J has something ready for the trolls. We will get a few from the Trib and a few from SN...but I have no doubt that our owner/admin knows how to properly deal with them. :)

NKySteeler
05-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I used the ignore tool on 2 posters on Trib.

I never used the "ignore" button. It provided more aggravation at times, but I still wanted to hear what everyone had to say.

Shawn
05-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I used the ignore tool on 2 posters on Trib.

I never used the "ignore" button. It provided more aggravation at times, but I still wanted to hear what everyone had to say.

I told a few that they were on ignore. But, I can't stand not being able to read what everyone is saying. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :oops:

NKySteeler
05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I told a few that they were on ignore. But, I can't stand not being able to read what everyone is saying. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :oops:

Same here... I said it, but never did it.

AngryAsian
05-17-2008, 05:57 AM

I had no issue with the two I put on ignore. I was just tired of hearing their respecitve banter. Eventually we'll have them here and that's fine. Back to the thread topic... I think that firing a PM to a moderator and letting them decide if a label is appropriate would be sufficient. When pfulton was at the Trib.... he was not only accessible but timely and wasn't shy about labelling the koooks their deserving monikers. My two yen.

Shawn
05-17-2008, 10:50 AM

I had no issue with the two I put on ignore. I was just tired of hearing their respecitve banter. Eventually we'll have them here and that's fine. Back to the thread topic... I think that firing a PM to a moderator and letting them decide if a label is appropriate would be sufficient. When pfulton was at the Trib.... he was not only accessible but timely and wasn't shy about labelling the koooks their deserving monikers. My two yen.

Well...per the mods...it's the same crew moderating for 6 years. I have a really hard time believing that...but thats what they PM'd me.

steelz09
05-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I think a troll vote is a great idea. This forum has a the ability to add polls to each thread too which is a VERY nice option. We could "tally" the votes that way.

I also think having a "sticky" dedicated thread identifying trolls would help as well.

Shawn
05-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I think a troll vote is a great idea. This forum has a the ability to add polls to each thread too which is a VERY nice option. We could "tally" the votes that way.

I also think having a "sticky" dedicated thread identifying trolls would help as well.

I like how you think...I don't mind an open debate about the trollitiude of a member.
I first nominate AsianSteel.

Discuss.

:lol:

Djfan
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM
To just label some of them trolls would be enough to get some to fall in line. But, if we get the likes of harry n here i would recommend a banishment by ip address. He is just a turd.

stlrz d
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM

One request regarding "stickies"...please use them judiciously. Personally, it drives me crazy when there are more than 2 or 3.

NKySteeler
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I like how you think...I don't mind an open debate about the trollitiude of a member.
I first nominate AsianSteel.

Discuss.

...I will withold judgement till he makes my sig........ :o :P

Shawn
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
To just label some of them trolls would be enough to get some to fall in line. But, if we get the likes of harry n here i would recommend a banishment by ip address. He is just a turd.

I agree...there should be some that get instabanned. The scrotal lesion would be on that list.

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Being labeled a troll does not deter the troll from acting troll like. The only to truly affect the troll is to not respond. They can be deleted, but they keep coming back under new monikers. You can block the IP, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get around that. So again the only way to truly deal with trolls is to not respond directly to them, or if you have the willpower don't read their words. :lol:

Shawn
05-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Being labeled a troll does not deter the troll from acting troll like. The only to truly affect the troll is to not respond. They can be deleted, but they keep coming back under new monikers. You can block the IP, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get around that. So again the only way to truly deal with trolls is to not respond directly to them, or if you have the willpower don't read their words. :lol:

Ya know...I have grown weary of trying to ignore them. You ban them...and you keep banning their alter egos...and you keep doing so until they move onto a board that is a little more troll friendly. Dealing with respectful opinions from fans of opposing teams is one thing. To tolerate someone who is here purely for disruption is another.

Djfan
05-17-2008, 12:02 PM

We should do both.

calmkiller
05-17-2008, 12:08 PM
We could always do what Jay and Silent Bob did.

Djfan
05-17-2008, 12:13 PM

?

BigLebowski
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Ya know...I have grown weary of trying to ignore them. You ban them...and you keep banning their alter egos...and you keep doing so until they move onto a board that is a little more troll friendly. Dealing with respectful opinions from fans of opposing teams is one thing. To tolerate someone who is here purely for disruption is another.

That is essentially my point as well. I really don't mind the trolls from the other NFL teams because they come and go as the season does, I personally cannot stand the so called Steeler fans that post like trolls. And we all know who they are. :roll:

Les 74
05-17-2008, 01:20 PM

?

Find out where they all live and beat their aszes!!! :lol:

Shawn
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM

?

Find out where they all live and beat their aszes!!! :lol:

:shock:

*note to self*

Don't get on the bad side of Les.

Les 74
05-17-2008, 01:40 PM
No,no,Shawn!!!'m just referring to what Jay and Silent Bob would do.However,if you F with me,I'll cut you,man. :wink: :lol: :lol:

eniparadoxgma
05-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Doesn't work. Unless you can convince everyone else on the board to ignore said member, they will continue to post. Convincing everyone on a board to do any one thing is impossible. Therefore, the trolls keep posting because someone inevitably responds to them. That's been my experience time and time again when people (myself included) decided to just ignore a troll.

Shawn
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
No,no,Shawn!!!'m just referring to what Jay and Silent Bob would do.However,if you F with me,I'll cut you,man. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm toooo young to die

:shock:

Flasteel
05-18-2008, 09:18 PM

This is exactly why you make fun of them.

I want to label them, not to necessarily modify their behavior but to just let them all know that they are collectively viewed as jackasses and their opinions carry no weight. Some trolls may wear it as a badge of honor and increase their negativity or other anti-social conduct, but I really enjoy letting them know they suck.

By the way Shawn...is instabanned, kind of like hellabanned?

BIG FAN
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought the LoD, gave trolls all too much attention.
Although I never did mind the troll definition in their avatars. It does let people know instantly if it's just some jerk who wants to come on and be derisive and offending or if they are somebody who supports another team, but feels for whatever reason they must come over here and let everyone know.

When you give trolls attention, you give them ammunition.

AngryAsian
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Although I never did mind the troll definition in their avatars. It does let people know instantly if it's just some jerk who wants to come on and be derisive and offending or if they are somebody who supports another team, but feels for whatever reason they must come over here and let everyone know.

Well said, BF. Remember folks that in the case of board trolls, the opposite of attention is not to ignore them.... but indifference. With indifference, their opinions are so inane and unimportant that they generate no response from you when you happen to read their babblings. That's the ammo of your typical troll. They're sole purpose is to make inflammatory remarks in the attempt to get a rise out of people. Indifference... this should be the board stance on troll-treatment.

BIG FAN
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Well said, BF. Remember folks that in the case of board trolls, the opposite of attention is not to ignore them.... but indifference. With indifference, their opinions are so inane and unimportant that they generate no response from you when you happen to read their babblings. That's the ammo of your typical troll. They're sole purpose is to make inflammatory remarks in the attempt to get a rise out of people. Indifference... this should be the board stance on troll-treatment.

Agreed 100%.

eniparadoxgma
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree, but I have to reiterate the fact that ignoring or indifference doesn't work because someone inevitably responds to them, and then the whole circle begins anew. I have tried and seen many people try to ignore trolls but there's always one guy that decides to "put the troll in his place".

I've actually been that guy for quite awhile now, but it's only because I got sick of trying to ignore trolls only to have someone inevitably respond to them or quote them, which just gives them the affirmation they need to continue their douchebaggery.

AngryAsian
05-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree, but I have to reiterate the fact that ignoring or indifference doesn't work because someone inevitably responds to them, and then the whole circle begins anew. I have tried and seen many people try to ignore trolls but there's always one guy that decides to "put the troll in his place".

I've actually been that guy for quite awhile now, but it's only because I got sick of trying to ignore trolls only to have someone inevitably respond to them or quote them, which just gives them the affirmation they need to continue their douchebaggery.

Well maybe the mods here can have two labels. "Troll" for those non-Steeler fans that come on board to banter, and "douchebag" for the other kind of posters that are here to incite arguments. :lol:

Jigawatts
05-19-2008, 01:51 PM

Well maybe the mods here can have two labels. "Troll" for those non-Steeler fans that come on board to banter, and "douchebag" for the other kind of posters that are here to incite arguments. :lol:

We should just label them "Nutzcak." :lol:

Les 74
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Oh no!!!Get ready for the incarnation of Harry Douchebag. :lol:

stlrz d
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
The problem with allowing idiots like that to remain on a board is that every thread gets trashed and you have to wade through post after post of douchebaggery to find the legit posts that are actually worth reading.

LasVegasGuy
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
The problem with allowing idiots like that to remain on a board is that every thread gets trashed and you have to wade through post after post of douchebaggery to find the legit posts that are actually worth reading.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2e60344663.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

AngryAsian
05-19-2008, 02:32 PM

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2e60344663.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

LVG, if that mathematical formula doesn't earn you a Nobel Peace Prize nomination, I don't know what will. Truly John Nash-esque. :lol: :lol:

LasVegasGuy
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM

LVG, if that mathematical formula doesn't earn you a Nobel Peace Prize nomination, I don't know what will. Truly John Nash-esque. :lol: :lol:

Not quite up to the level of A.A. photoshop work but not to bad to say the least.

stlrz d
05-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Nice!

BigBen2112
05-19-2008, 08:04 PM
[quote="stlrz d":62eqg2xh]The problem with allowing idiots like that to remain on a board is that every thread gets trashed and you have to wade through post after post of douchebaggery to find the legit posts that are actually worth reading.

Nice![/quote:62eqg2xh]

Good sh*t!

LasVegasGuy
05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. If I didn't love my sig so much I would use it fulltime. How Beavis and Butthead never used the word "Douchebaggery" is beyond me?

Flasteel
05-19-2008, 09:20 PM

Holy **** that is funny!

Labeling the trolls isn't exactly feeding them, although I do agree that the LoD sig somewhat emboldened a few of those knuckleheads. By tagging trolls above their name it automatically tells everyone...especially them...that their posts are meaningless drivel and we can all expect some degree of douchebaggery.

There really should be a troll classification that covers the following types:
1. Fans of another team
2. Fans of divisional opponents
3. "Steeler fans" who exhibit any of the following qualities:
a. Perpetual negative or doom & gloom attitude towards everything
b. Attacking with name-calling and insults
c. The know it all - especially when they don't
d. The instigator - only exists to stir the pot and cause trouble

Any other categories you guys can think of? What should be the official names of these types of trolls?

Iron Shiek
05-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Holy **** that is funny!

Labeling the trolls isn't exactly feeding them, although I do agree that the LoD sig somewhat emboldened a few of those knuckleheads. By tagging trolls above their name it automatically tells everyone...especially them...that their posts are meaningless drivel and we can all expect some degree of douchebaggery.

There really should be a troll classification that covers the following types:
1. Fans of another team
2. Fans of divisional opponents
3. "Steeler fans" who exhibit any of the following qualities:
a. Perpetual negative or doom & gloom attitude towards everything
b. Attacking with name-calling and insults
c. The know it all - especially when they don't
d. The instigator - only exists to stir the pot and cause trouble

Any other categories you guys can think of? What should be the official names of these types of trolls?

I think you nailed them. The first one is something we need to have around here to make things interesting. Not idiots like bradyshawda but that chiefs guy and i guess the seahawks guy always had pretty good insight regarding news about their teams. Plus when Steelers play their teams we can get into some banter.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Instead of labelling them with words, just include the following avatar. Everyone knows what it means.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/images/avatars/gallery/Default/490.gif

Shawn
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
:lol: Now that's funny.