PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Wilson!

steeld95
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
After he got arrested for assaulting his girlfriend last night, we cut him today....Finally a good off season move...He was nothing but dead weight and is making way too much money for not contribuiting a damn thing....I was hoping we would release him, I guess this just made it easier!

costanza2k1
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Steelers explain Wilson's release
Thursday, March 20, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers decided to release wide receiver Cedrick Wilson last night, shortly after he was arrested for punching his former girlfriend in the face in a Pine restaurant.

"We're extremely disappointed with this incident,'' Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said this morning. "The Steelers do not condone violence of any kind, especially against women.

"The majority of our players are good citizens and make numerous positive contributions to the community. Unfortunately, these kinds of incidents reflect poorly on all our players and many innocent and good people are considered guilty by association, they get thrown into the pot, so to speak.'

Rooney said Wilson, the team's No 4 wide receiver, was released because of the circumstances involved and that they differed from those of Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, who was arrested March 8 for assaulting his girlfriend in Ohio Township.

"I know many are asking the question of [why] we released Wilson and Harrison we kept,'' Rooney said. "The circumstances -- I know of the incidents, they are completely different. In fact, when I say we don't condone these things, we don't, but we do have to look at the circumstances that are involved with other players and things like that, so they're not all the same."

In Harrison's case, Rooney said the player was trying to take his son to be baptized, while Wilson had a previous incident with his girlfriend, although she was charged, but Wilson was not.

"What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," Rooney said of Harrison's initial intent. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it."

steeld95
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I am interested to see if Dallas Baker takes advantage of this. He was very productive in college. He has good size, 6-3 212, and good hands. I just hope we don't waste our first round pick on Hardy now.

costanza2k1
03-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't think Wilson getting cut will influence our first pick in the draft, now if it was Holmes or Ward that would be a different story. Who knows Wilson may not have made it through camp anyhow. I'm with you though...BIG UGLIES is the way to go!

steeld95
03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I agree....we need Big Uglies! Football games are won and lost in the trenches. We used to dominate teams with our O-line and running game...We need to get our O-line back to that condition.

costanza2k1
03-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Even though it was boring to the normal fan, running when the world knew you were going to do it and doing it successfully was just plain awesome.

steeltownfan
03-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I have to agree!

Watching teams line up 8-9 guys in the box in an attempt to stop Bettis was just plain awesome!

They knew exactly what we would do, and they couldn't stop it.

steeld95
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Considering We got to the Superbowl with Neil O'Donnel, that should say enough about how big having a running game like that is. I still think had Bam Morris never got in any trouble, he could have had one of the best career's ever for a Steeler RB. I also loved watching Barry Foster.

Shawn
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I am interested to see if Dallas Baker takes advantage of this. He was very productive in college. He has good size, 6-3 212, and good hands. I just hope we don't waste our first round pick on Hardy now.

I really think Dallas beats out Reid this season.

steeltownfan
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
ShawMedGuy,

Do you think that the Steelers have high hopes for Dallas Baker and Williie Reid.