Category Archives: Playoffs
Looking back at the 2011 Super Bowl, the matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers, there was one thing evident: The Steelers made way too many mistakes.
The matchup from a talent perspective was even but the Packers without a doubt, played the better game. The Steelers got outcoached on offense and defense and the Packers players executed better and made less mistakes.
There was no excuse for Ben Roethlisberger to force that pass which resulted in a pick six. But the absolute back breaker was Rashard Mendenhall fumbling on the 30 yard line when the Steelers had the momentum heading towards the go ahead score. Talk about stupidity, how did David Johnson completely whiff on Clay Matthews who caused the Mendenhall fumble. He's horrible and shouldn't even be using up a roster spot. Arians got rid of John Kuhn (FB for the Packers) because he doesn't believe in a FB in favor of the worthless David Johnson.
And how about Keyaron Fox? The Steelers would have had 2 minutes to score on the 32 yard line but instead he got a personnal foul on the kickoff essentially pushing the Steelers back to the 17. A critical penalty at a critical time.
Dick Leabeau's secondary looked confused and out of position. Take for example the game winning touchdown by Greg Jennings. Jennings was matched up against the aging James Farrior. How does that happen?
Shall we touch on the horrible lack of adjustments by Bruce Arians? The Packers lost their two pro bowl cornerbacks and the Steelers didn't even attempt a no huddle offense to catch them out of position. Nice work Arians, no wonder everyone except Big Ben wants you fired.
All in all, you can't be upset about the Packers winning. The Steelers beat themselves.
Today is the birthday of legendary Pittsburgh sportscaster / journalist Myron Cope. Myron Cope was the creator of the Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towel. Watch the below Myron Cope video being interviewed about the story of the Terrible Towel and it's creation.
1.The Steelers came back last week after being down two touchdowns. What did they do differently in the second half that allowed them to come back against the Ravens?
Most people think the Ravens lost the game due to the 2 turnovers that resulted in 14 points and another that resulted in 3. However, those same people forget the Steelers basically gave the Ravens 14 points in the first half with turnovers deep in their own territory. This was the main difference between the 1st and 2nd half. The Steelers defense and offense alike were very opportunistic.
2. Ben Roethlisberger always seems to convert key 3rd down plays. What is it about him and their passing game that allows him to be successful in these key situations?
That's a really difficult question. I think certain players just have a knack for making clutch plays and he's one of those guys. I compare him to a Derek Jeter in this aspect. Jeter, like Big Ben, has historically made big plays in clutch moments.
For example, if I need a run to win the World Series and there is a runner in scoring position, Jeter is the guy I want at the plate regardless if he's in a slump at the time. I can say the same thing for Big Ben.
3. Troy Polamalu has been hindered by Achilles and ankle injuries late in the season and does not appear to have his normal burst. Is that still the case and do you think he is healthy enough to make an impact in this game?
I think the Achilles and ankle injury is still bothering Troy Polamalu. He missed a few tackles last week and wasn't a huge factor against the Ravens. With that being said, I always think Troy makes an impact on the game. He's a guy that must be accounted for on every play regardless of if he's 100% healthy. When offensive players get fixated on where Troy's at, this opens up plays for Harrison, Timmons, Woodley and our other playmakers. In that instance, Troy isn't actually making the play but he's still having an impact.
4. There are some good match ups in this game. Which one would you rate as the most critical in determining the outcome of this game?
There are several great match-ups in this game. I see the following as the most critical:
1)Steelers offensive line vs. your defense line and linebackers
2)Steelers secondary vs. the Jets solid wide receiving corp
3)Steelers young receivers vs. Cromartie and Revis
4)Sanchez vs. Polamalu
5)Steelers outside linebackers vs Jets tackles
5. Break down this game for us. What does each team need to do to prevail?
I think turnovers and penalties are going to have a big effect on the outcome of this game. Ben Roethlisberger and Sanchez will need to protect that ball. Aside from that, the Jets could see a huge advantage in the special teams and offensive lines area. I'm very interested in seeing how the Steelers passing attack matches up to the Jets defense. Most people aren't giving the Steelers WR's any credit but they have 3 young, fast players in Mike Wallace, Emmanual Sanders, and Antonio Brown. Let's not forget veteran WR Hines Ward and TE Heath Miller.
Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Bill Cowher picks the New York Jets to upset the Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday.
Cowher, although still pro-Steelers has had a history of predicting the Steelers to lose in big games.
Cowher could be doing this for a variety of reasons such as:
1. He doesn't want Mike Tomlin, his successor to win 2 Super Bowls in 4 years when he only won one Super Bowl in 15 years
2. He's trying to add a little extra motivation to his former team since they typically play better as underdogs compared to favorities.
3. He's trying to add a bit more spice to the game since he currently anchors for CBS.
4. He's trying to "get in good" with the New Yorkers and their media since Cowher has publicly admitted his desire to coach the New York Giants.
This is all speculation but regardless, it makes you wonder...
The AFC Championship Game is set for 6:30 est time, Sunday, January 23rd in Pittsburgh.
1. Interview with Dutch Wydo of PostGameHeroes.com
2. Defensive Game Keys
3. Why the Steelers must stop the Jets running Game?
4. Why Lebeau must attack Mark Sanchez?
5. Dutch Wydo's Prediction
6. Lance Williams Prediction
STEEL CURTAIN RADIO #4: MAX STARKS INTERVIEW
Check out the 1 on 1 Interview with Max Starks
1. Max Starks talks About Free Agency and his Long Term Plans
2. Max talks about what makes Big Ben so Special?
3. Max gives his thought son Albert Haynesworthss Deal
4. Max speaks on the media’s focus on contracts?
5. Max gives his thoughts on Demarcus Ware
6. Max gives his thoughts on the differences between Tomlin and Cowher
Interview Provided by: whatchatalkinbout.com
Watch Santonio Holmes at Walt Disney's Magic Kingdon Super Bowl XLIII Victory Parade.
Super Bowl XLIII Most Valuable Player, Santonio Holmes joins Jay Leno on The Tonight Show. Watch the full interview below: