Category Archives: Defense
Need proof that Michigan State University (MSU) Darqueze Dennard is the best cornerback in 2014 NFL Draft?
- 13 games during his senior campaign, Darqueze Dennard has had 111 passes targeted into his area, allowing just seventeen of those tosses to be completed (15.32%) for 91 yards.
- In the 111 passes targeted at Dennard, he recorded fourteen passes defended (four interceptions, ten deflections) and rerouted/jammed his man coverage assignments away from 62 of those tosses (55.86%)
- Wide receivers averaged just 5.35 yards per reception vs. Dennard, the lowest figure by any starting defensive back since the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) era began in 1998.
- Dennard held the opposition to an average of 0.8198 yards per pass attempt.
That pass attempt figure is the lowest ever recorded by any college player since The NFL Draft Report, a scouting information service, began compiling in-depth statistical reports for the league in 1968. To see what some are saying about the Steelers in 2014 if they would have picked Dennard, their odds in the NFL futures might have gone well and given them a higher chance of winning the AFC Division championship. Even more impressive is the fact that only two other players went through an entire season allowing less than one yard per pass attempt.
Darqueze Dennard's Workout Numbers:
40 yard dash: 4.51
20 yard: 2.50
10 yard: 1.57
225 pound bench press: 15 reps
Pro Day Numbers:
Broad Jump: 11'02
3-Cone Drill: 7.07
- Good build with decent size
- Solid in press coverage. Above average ball skills
- Physical corner and can match up with larger NFL prototypical receivers in press coverage
- Good tackler and strong in run support
- Aggressive corner
- Is a fundamentally sound corner. Possibly a day 1 starter.
- Turns his head and locates the ball well in the air. He is probably the best man-to-man cover corner in this draft.
- Serious questions are being raised on how well he can play in a zone scheme
- Is a "grabby" corner that could easily draw holding or pass interference penalties in the NFL
- Dennard is a good but not great athlete. He does not have elite speed.
|*2010||Michigan State||Big Ten||8||3||11||2.0||1.0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|*2011||Michigan State||Big Ten||30||12||42||1.0||0.0||3||38||12.7||1||6||0||0||0||0|
|*2012||Michigan State||Big Ten||34||18||52||3.5||0.0||3||49||16.3||0||10||0||0||0||0|
|*2013||Michigan State||Big Ten||33||29||62||3.5||0.0||4||38||9.5||0||10||2|
The Steelers went 8-8 in the 2013 season and failed to make the playoffs for the second straight season. The last winning campaign came two years ago (12-4) and, head coach, Mike Tomlin heads towards his eighth season knowing that he needs to get something done.
The Steelers front office, with General Manager, Kevin Colbert, will have to make some shrewd moves in free agency, particularly when dealing with his own players.
One of the first things they must prepare for is to start the 2014 season on the right foot; their first quarter play this year brought them a 0-4 record in a tough division that always left them playing catch-up with the rest of the field.
There had been much talk about the Steelers’ coaching staff but that appears to have got a real injection of experience and intellect. Pittsburgh have hired James Saxon as running backs coach and Mike Munchak, the former Titans head coach, to train the offensive line. However, question marks remain over offensive coordinator, Todd Haley.
Defensively, things remain the same, with Dick LeBeau still in charge of the back line; although, it is now looking like the defense needs new blood and fresh faces. Fans betting NFL know cap space has always appeared to be a problem in Pittsburgh and again work is required.
One of the developing storylines could involve three Steelers regulars – Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, and Heath Miller; they combine for $32 million in cap room. All three will be candidates for contract extensions or pay reductions, and if an agreement cannot be reached, they could be released.
Free agency is always a worry for any franchise and the Steelers have 21 unrestricted free agents on their roster but only six are current starters. They now need to consider what their needs are in the draft; largely, defensive positions, but some NFL betting pundits believe they could find themselves wanting at cornerback and safety in the new season.
The Steelers enter the 2014 offseason with plenty to address but with a relatively sound foundation to build on.
Most know him as ‘the guy’ that returned a 47 yard interception for a touchdown in preseason. If you watched closer, you could see a good tackling safety with natural instincts and abilities.
Robert Golden earned himself a roster spot after being signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent from the University of Arizona. He will wear #21 and he may be the future starter at free safety (FS). The Steelers are desperately thin at safety (S) with Ryan Mundy being the #1 backup to both Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark.
Robert Golden Profile:
Jersey #: 21
- Attended University of Arizona
- Three–year starter who played both cornerback (CB) and safety (S)
- Project as a 7th round pick. He ended up being undrafted and signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent
Good size and speed combination
Athletic player that played both CB and S showcasing his fluid hips, backpedaling and change of direction skills
Shows good instincts in coverage by quickly locating the ball in the air and shows above average burst to the ball in flight
Solid fundamental tackler
Lacked ‘big play’ ability. Golden only accounted for 2 total INTs in his junior and senior years
Has shown indecisiveness in zone coverage
Click Link to Listen:
1. 1000: Congrats Hines
2. Hines Ward Postgame Presser
3. Steelers vs Broncos Breakdown w/ Jim Wexell
4. Why I think the Steelers Season Was Blah?
5. How the Steelers Injuries will affect the Broncos Game
Call in line: (707) 654-3614
According to reports, James Harrison’s agent, Bill Parise, said his appeal meeting with the league “went well. Now we wait”
1. Mike Tomlin Postgame Presser
2. Big Ben's Postgame Presser
3. Legursky Postgame Presser
4. Why I disagree with Tomlin?
5. Jame Harrison Postgame Presser
6. Why James Harrisson should be fined severly?
7. And More Postgame Presser.........
Call in line: (707) 654-3614
Email Address: email@example.com
Watch the brutal hit that James Harrison put on Colt McCoy. Harrison was flagged on the play and will likely receive a fine from the NFL office. McCoy on the other hand, got a concussion. The Browns organization is catching heat for allowing McCoy back in the game after already experiencing a concussion.
Watch the video of the hit here:
- Stop Panicking Steelers Fans
- Offensive Game Grades
- Defensive Game Grades
- Copious ... What's Copious?
- Polamalu's Extension
- Why I'm not Worried
Call in line: (707) 654-3614
It's done and just before the Steelers deadline. Troy Polamalu signed a 4-year extention yesterday, September 10th just before flying to Baltimore for the season week 1 game against their arch rival, the Baltimore Ravens. The have a policy that prohibits contract negotiations to continue throughout the season and luckily for both parties they got it worked out.
It is rumored that Polamalu will receive around 35-40 million for those 4 years. The contract will likely be largely guaranteed and contain a large signing bonus. It is a good investment for the Steelers and it's well deserved. The Steelers defense is very dependent on his outstanding playmaking ability and it shows by their record when he's on the field. He's an outstanding player but an even better person. He's an ambassador for the Steelers and the NFL.
Troy Polamalu Key Career Statistics:
- 6× Pro Bowl selection (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,2008, 2010)
- 4× All-Pro selection (2004, 2005, 2008, 2010)
- 2× Super Bowl champion (XL, XLIII)
- 3× AFC Champion (2005, 2008, 2010)
- “Joe Greene Great Performance Award” (2003)
- NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
- Steelers Most Valuable Player Award (2010)
- 2010 AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year
- 2010 NFL Alumni Player of the Year
- Ranked #6 on NFL's top 100 players of 2011
Discuss Troy's contract and more at the Pittsburgh Steelers Forum
- Ex-Steeler Verron Haynes Breaksdown Week 1 vs the Ravens
- Analysis of the Steelers Offensive 53 Man Roster
- Analysis of the Steelers Defensive 53 Man Roster
- Why Tony Hills was Expendable?
- Why Crezdon Butler Got Waived?
- My Week 1 Prediction
Master Feeds for all the shows on Whatchatalkinbout.com
Call in line: (707) 654-3614