Daily Archives: May 8, 2014
Need proof that Michigan State University (MSU) Darqueze Dennard is the best cornerback in 2014 NFL Draft?
- 13 games during his senior campaign, Darqueze Dennard has had 111 passes targeted into his area, allowing just seventeen of those tosses to be completed (15.32%) for 91 yards.
- In the 111 passes targeted at Dennard, he recorded fourteen passes defended (four interceptions, ten deflections) and rerouted/jammed his man coverage assignments away from 62 of those tosses (55.86%)
- Wide receivers averaged just 5.35 yards per reception vs. Dennard, the lowest figure by any starting defensive back since the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) era began in 1998.
- Dennard held the opposition to an average of 0.8198 yards per pass attempt.
That pass attempt figure is the lowest ever recorded by any college player since The NFL Draft Report, a scouting information service, began compiling in-depth statistical reports for the league in 1968. To see what some are saying about the Steelers in 2014 if they would have picked Dennard, their odds in the NFL futures might have gone well and given them a higher chance of winning the AFC Division championship. Even more impressive is the fact that only two other players went through an entire season allowing less than one yard per pass attempt.
Darqueze Dennard's Workout Numbers:
40 yard dash: 4.51
20 yard: 2.50
10 yard: 1.57
225 pound bench press: 15 reps
Pro Day Numbers:
Broad Jump: 11'02
3-Cone Drill: 7.07
- Good build with decent size
- Solid in press coverage. Above average ball skills
- Physical corner and can match up with larger NFL prototypical receivers in press coverage
- Good tackler and strong in run support
- Aggressive corner
- Is a fundamentally sound corner. Possibly a day 1 starter.
- Turns his head and locates the ball well in the air. He is probably the best man-to-man cover corner in this draft.
- Serious questions are being raised on how well he can play in a zone scheme
- Is a "grabby" corner that could easily draw holding or pass interference penalties in the NFL
- Dennard is a good but not great athlete. He does not have elite speed.
|*2010||Michigan State||Big Ten||8||3||11||2.0||1.0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|*2011||Michigan State||Big Ten||30||12||42||1.0||0.0||3||38||12.7||1||6||0||0||0||0|
|*2012||Michigan State||Big Ten||34||18||52||3.5||0.0||3||49||16.3||0||10||0||0||0||0|
|*2013||Michigan State||Big Ten||33||29||62||3.5||0.0||4||38||9.5||0||10||2|